[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there ever an advantage to not socializing in the workplace?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (65KB, 735x735px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 735x735px
Is there ever an advantage to not socializing in the workplace? The only time I'd speak to anyone is if I'm spoken too, and 90 percent of the time it's usually work related.
I could start a convo if I wanted to, but I can't bring myself to give a shit about whatever is being discussed. It makes it especially difficult to brown nose my way to the top because I don't care enough to chat with my boss, or even hold a conversation with him.

Do you think the workplace values a person who doesn't talk? I've always heard networking is the key to just about any high paying job.
>>
>Is there ever an advantage to not socializing in the workplace?
If you are a creepy autist and horrible interlocutor it's better for you to shut your mouth.

However, don't expect advancing your career without talking.
>>
>>1006034
Why would not talking be a benefit?

People want to work with actual humans, not /r9k/ betas.
>>
>>1006034
>is there an advantage to avoid speaking to people i work with?
of course not, what are you autistic?
>>
>>1006050
I don't mean not talking ever, but I wouldn't be the type to initiate a conversation. There's a lot of gossip at y workplace and I was always afraid of losing my job over it.
>>
>>1006034

I think it's better to be known as the quiet worker, than the ourgoing office talker.

Altough if you do sales, not so much.
>>
>>1006069
I never said I avoided conversation? How tf do you browse an image board with such piss poor reading comprehension
>>
>>1006073
you don't speak to people unless they speak to you in the first place
how tf do you manage to live in a workplace by being such an oblivious retard
>>
>>1006071
I've been thinking this which is why I've been going with it. A kind greeting, goodbye, and some minor chit chat in between is all I've ever done.

I don't work retail primarily, but sometimes I work the register. Same deal as above though.
>>
>>1006075
By working? The only time I'm not working is when I'm eating, using the restroom, or engaging in small talk.
>>
>>1006081

Well bosses love one thing above all: reliability.

And the quiet worker is reliable.
>>
>>1006075
>you don't speak to people unless they speak to you in the first place

But what if they follow the same rule?

Then no conversations can ever take place.
>>
>>1006084
if you want to climb any company/corporate ladder, you will need great communication and people skills, that's the end of it

without that, your only option is to launch your own business with people that will handle that aspect instead of you, or just get bogged down as the "quiet guy", which will take thousands of opportunities away from you, no matter how hard working you are

there is no upside, if you're competent purely skill-wise, why the fuck would you not demonstrate some people skills if you have them?

>>1006089
unless you plan on remaining the "quiet reliable" worker for your boss for your entire life, someone that's properly communicating with his coworkers and showing he can handle people will always be viewed as a more viable option for any remotely challenging management/senior position
>>
What the hell OP?

It's pretty simple. Be likeable. Being likeable involves being friendly, which often means saying hello/good morning to people and making small talk. People like it when other people say hi.

You don't have to engage in gossip, and if that's the only thing people talk about in your workplace, I'm willing to bet its low level BS like a retail store or food shop.
>>
>>1006106
To add on:

Communication is key.

How is your management supposed to know how you are doing if you don't give them feedback?

At my old job, my boss would bellyache and groan to me about how management kept piling on more and more work on him. I asked him why he didn't talk to them and explain his situation, and he told me that he liked to keep his managers "in the dark" about what he does. He had an old style labor vs management mentality. Well no shit, if you never tell them you're overworked, they're never gonna know.
>>
>>1006099
Fuck man, this is food for thought.
>>
>>1006116
>keep his managers "in the dark" about what he does
Lel, great strategy when the company is reducing positions. His head would be the first to the axe.
>>
>>1006132
>he never came up with the notion himself

A board full of autists, uh? Whudda thunk.
>>
>>1006116
The business I work or has pretty poor management. The owner only shows up on the weekends while he leaves his son "in charge" for most of the week.

I don't have any problems anyways considering it's usually the same work every week, with some minor errands in between.
>>
>>1006135
I know, and that's why I tried to keep after him to change his ways.
He was super hard working and an all around great guy, but I'm not sure where he got that old union style "us. vs them" mentality.

>>1006147
Then basically if you aren't in the least bit social, you don't move up. You also run the risk of the first to be let go if things get rough because no one really knows you as a person, so they don't feel bad.
>>
>>1006174
I've been around about 2 years now, and since then I've been given a couple raises. I've seen a few people come and go and I'm convinced my work ethic saved me in that regard. I'm grateful, but it leaves me feeling a little bad knowing that I only got those raises by being polite and saying yes to whatever I'm told to do.

At any rate, I'm being paid pretty good now and I don't wish to move up (at this place anyways). I understand my workplace isn't your average business because of the way things work, but one day I do wish to work at a more organized business and climb the corporate ladder there instead.
>>
I'm a manager and while I don't mind the people who keep their mouths shut and stay out of trouble, it's hard for me to find reasons to reward them for their work if they're not presenting accomplishments or volunteering for special tasks.

However it's far better to be quiet than to be the guy always goofing off and loudly not working, or the guy who starts problems and gets in fights.
>>
Most of the quiet workers that I've seen have been older guys who have rare skillsets. Everyone else has to be a fun, chatty normie because they don't have job security like those guys do.
>>
Communication is knowledge, knowledge is power, power is money.
>>
>>1006034

Depending on the skill level of your job, you might be able to communicate entirely through emails and 'yes, no, or I don't know'.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.