[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /pol/ feel about video games being a competitive sport?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13

How does /pol/ feel about video games being a competitive sport?
>>
File: kiddo.jpg (48KB, 750x591px)
kiddo.jpg
48KB, 750x591px
>>905604
>sport
kys op
>>
>>905604
It's shit if it's not Starcraft2. Since Sc2 is not a thing anymore, it's just shit.
>>
Anyone who plays games is a child.

Anyone who makes a living playing games is a child that got lucky.

People need to grow up.
>>
children's games are not sport
>>
>>905607
You seem boring.
>>
>>905606
>Implying Brood War Remastered isn't going to save E-sports
>>
File: 1377050760954.gif (1021KB, 288x162px) Image search: [Google]
1377050760954.gif
1021KB, 288x162px
>>905604
more rigged than boxing.

that said; WHO HYPE FOR EVO?
>>
>>905606
This basically
>>
>>905607
what a gay cunt lmao
>>
>>905606
>what is brood war
>>
kinda gay, but if you can get paid, great.
>>
>>905604
Nothing is more gayer then watching grown men play video games on a stage.
>>
>>905607
git gud pussy bitch
>>
>>905607
Stop liking what I don't like while I fuck around on /pol/ 24/7
>>
>>905604
I'd watch the shit out of Total War competitions.
>>
fucking mods moved the thread
>>
>>905626
good, faggot
>>
>>905637
lesbian
>>
Im fine with it being in the same group as for example chess, but its no sport.
>>
File: confusedp.png (98KB, 612x491px)
confusedp.png
98KB, 612x491px
>>905604
>games
>sport
Why is it so important for you to appropriate a label used almost exclusively to describe physical activities? Do you think you'll look like less of a fat nerd that way?
>>
>>905658
> sport
> physical activity
> Poker,Chess,Remote Control sports,Stacking

if chess is classified as a sport then Video Games are included in the package.
>>
>>905658
>>905654
They're basically run exactly like sports events with commentary, spectators, betting and what not. "Sports" isn't accurate since it's not athletic (although it can often require physical mastery and agility in the hands https://youtube.com/watch?v=8vyBV94K4SE ), bit it's right in every other way so I don't have too big of a problem with it.
I like watching and playing super smash bros melee, and intend to compete in some local tournaments with my link once I generally sort myself out a bit more.
Started playing overwatch too recently and that seems fun. I could probably get good enough as mercy to be competitive since she's pretty easy. Melee is a lot more fun though.
>>
>>905604
>sport
>>
>>905864
I said "almost exclusively". I don't think any of those things should be included either.
>>
>>905873
Second half of that post was supposed to be a response to the OP but I can't into phoneposting.
>>
>>905877
oh and Golf too.

Not a sport and never fucking will be for me.
>>
>>905873
>They're basically run exactly like sports events with commentary, spectators, betting and what not.
If I find enough autists for an event with commentary, spectators, betting and whatnot where people compete and making fart noises, does making fart noises become a sport?
>>
>>905919
compete at*
>>
File: asdf.jpg (44KB, 602x602px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
44KB, 602x602px
>>905604
first of all, its not a fucking sport to me and these faggots couldnt even lift their asses to get on the gym regularly. Clicking a mouse and keyboards will always be pathetic as fuck to me and nothing we should celebrate.

Nerds clicking timed actions in childrens games agains other nerds is just sad compared to Usain Bolt or Mayweather. Whoever had the brainfart of listing this as a sport can go eat shit and just maybe google what the fuck a sport is before you declare some passive fucking sitting and watching screens in same class as triathlon and 100m sprint.

Dont get me wrong i like games but this fucking shitty gamer culture should get ISIS treatment ASAP
>>
>>905604
Modern day autism is what it is.
>>
>>905984
>being this butthurt
And 10/10 it's someone who can't lift his ass from the chair either. Human psyche is a strange thing.
>>
>>906015
10/10 times
>>
>>905919
How would you decisively win at that? Seems more like a talent show desu.
>>
>>906082
>completely missing the point
Suppose they did have some criteria.
>>
>>906082
Loudest and smelliest. You have to tailor your diet to optimize smell and control release.
>>
File: 1495296932041.jpg (82KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1495296932041.jpg
82KB, 640x640px
>>906015
i´ve been in multiple sports team while you faggots project your insecurities about being unable to compete and think if you´re athletes now when you downloaded league of legends in summer break from high school
Just kill yourselves you wanna do it anyway and hate life, people, races, all activities and agendas etc there´s nothing here for you
>>
>>905873
Big Chess competetions have everything you said too, theyre still not sports
>>
>>906108
It's still subjective from what I can tell.
>>906121
I thought it was a fart noise contest, not a fart contest. Loudness can be measured so I guess I wouldn't care if you called it a sport then. Smelliness would have to be judged and you can't trust a fart fetishist to be impartial, so that would still be more like a talent show.
>>
>>906146
>proves my point by continuing to get butthurt
I don't consider video games to be sports either. I'm just pointing out the strange fact that the more you get angry about it, the more likely it is that you have neither athletic nor video game skills.
>>
File: gaysassniggasplayinagoodsporyt.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gaysassniggasplayinagoodsporyt.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL
>>
>>906146
>you faggots project your insecurities about being unable to compete and think if you´re athletes now when you downloaded league of legends
I agree with you that video games aren't sports. I'm just pointing out the strange fact that the more mad you get about it, the more likely it is that you have neither athletic nor videogame skills. You seem to be the one projecting.
>>
>>906146
I was on multiple sports teams as a kid and I was on the high school wrestling team. I was never very good but I was quite into it. All the amateur wrestling organizations for adults seem to be fronts for gay sex clubs though, and I don't like ball sports very much. Video games are fun and more mentally than physically oriented, like myself, so I'll try those. Being fit is still important though and something I've been trying to work on getting in habits for.
>>906150
They're not rowdy at all though, then again neither is golf. I don't know. I think there's definitely a problem with the Esports label, but it's not a big deal and it's good to have a simple, two-syllable word for it.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=pD_imYhNoQ4
>>
>>905604
It's way harder than 22 millionaire poofters chasing a sack of air for 90 minutes.
>>
>>906182
>FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL
>>
File: EVERYWGERE.jpg (65KB, 800x517px) Image search: [Google]
EVERYWGERE.jpg
65KB, 800x517px
>>906282
EVERYWHERE YOU GO
FOOTBALL
>>
Why do you fucking degenerates always have to justify videogames to be art or sport. How insecure can you be. It's just a form passing time like watching telly. Do you have anyone say that watching telly is sport or art? There you have it, faggot.
>>
>>906233
I think it would probably be a useful term for differentiating it from casual fart sound effect making. I don't think either is exactly the same thing as a sport, bit the fact that they have so many things in common with a sport makes the comparison legitimate. It's not black and white though. Obviously they require very different skill sets, although you could say the same thing about wrestling and hockey.
>>
>>906257

5 boys against 5 boys behind a screen are doing more work than 11 men versus 11 men on a football field? You must not be into sports

>Not that I am but at least I can recognize the effort
>>
>>906320
I'm not really. The only things I would subjectively consoder as true sports are Olympic events, motorsport and full contact combat.
Although, honestly, I think it's harder to perfectly speedrun a game or play competitive than it is to play a game of football.
But apples and oranges.
>>
>>906318
Look, my point is that even if you take the position that things like chess should be considered sports, the one thing they all have in common is that they exemplify human abilities that are commonly held in high regard, like physical strength, agility or intelligence. Pro gaming involves intelligence and precision, but video games themselves hardly showcase those abilities in raw form like real sports.
>>
>>906313
There's a big difference between playing zelda at your house for fun and being a top player in a competitive game. The players are sponsored and win prize pots as well in addition to just being way better and putting in way more time. This literal autist made almost a quarter of a million dollars in 12 years playing super smash bros.
>>
File: Mew2king.jpg (30KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Mew2king.jpg
30KB, 600x450px
>>906403
Oh forgot pic
>>
Esports is only as good as the games they're playing. And MOBAs are fucking retarded.
>>
>>906460
i would try esports if they played games like quake or tf2. seemingly all the popular games nowadays are slow tactical MOBA-likes. only exception maybe being CS which still maintains that shitty slow and tactical aspect.
>>
>>905604
Actually I think this is the only sport that should be allowed. Because it requires skills and team work, strategy, really quick decisions in the stress situations and etc.
Regular sport is like something autistic compare to cyber sport.
>>
>>906393
I would totally disagree with that. There are a lot more variables at play in some games than in sports or maybe even chess.
>>
>>906547
Okay, then list me some games that embody human abilities that are held in high regard.
>>
>>906403
>250,000
>12 years

McDonalds employees make more than that.
>>
>>906579
Super smash bros melee: knowledge, quick decision making, physical capability, discipline
Overwatch: communication, tactics, understanding of many different types of situations, teamwork
Those are the only competitive games I play and I've only been playing overwatch for less than a week.
>>
>>906591
Yeah but he spent that time traveling around the country playing his favorite video game
>>
>>906638
>Overwatch: communication, tactics, understanding of many different types of situations, teamwork
That can be said for most competetive shooters, e.g. CS:GO and even TF2 where the competetive scene is much smaller
>>
File: (you)-.jpg (58KB, 372x450px) Image search: [Google]
(you)-.jpg
58KB, 372x450px
>>906638
You know what, there's no way to objectively prove that these games don't exemplify the skills you think they do as much as legit sports exemplify skills. The bottom line is that they're below the standard for most people, so gamers BTFO.
>>
>>906638
Has anything in Smash ever been as cool as the Daigo parry?
>>
>>906710
Yeah, I'm sure they do. I just talked about games I play.
>>906715
That doesn't make sense.
>>906743
That parry video was actually featured in the SSBM documentary. I don't remember exactly why. I think they were comparing melee to traditional 2d fighters.
I dunno, this was pretty cool.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=gjefhNsFxdY
>>
>>906800
eh
>>
File: 1395492125650.jpg (23KB, 306x333px) Image search: [Google]
1395492125650.jpg
23KB, 306x333px
>>905604
>video games
>sport
>>
>>906800
Look Mr twenty years old, games change too much and too fast that any of them could be included to the olympic games or anything. Normies won't catch up with the latest installment of virtual fighter or rootie tootie pointie shootie. Maybe in fifty years, when they found the best formula for a game like they did with chess a thousand years ago. Until then, go back to the containment board /v/.
>>
>>905604
Don't know ask them
>>905607
You must be a fun person
>>
>>906800
>That doesn't make sense.
The games you listed do involve the things you claim they do, but on a level far below that which most people would consider worthy of being called a sport.
>>
>>906821
Cool combos happen all the time but I wouldn't know what to show for like "the coolest combo", other than the wombo combo but I already showed that earlier in the thread.
>>906865
Ok dad
>>906880
It's fine if they don't consider it a sport. I don't either. I think it's fine to call it an esport though since that's currently the best word we have to describe it.
>>
I think its great anon, thanks for asking
>>
>>907003
>esport
That just makes it sound like a sport-wannabe, but at least people will know what you're referring to, I guess.
>>
>>905611
I just watch EVO for smash...
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.