[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A stupid question here to native English speakers. Consider

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

A stupid question here to native English speakers.

Consider the following sentence:

'I wonder if the receipt will be issued electronically once the payment is complete'

Now, I would like to change the tense in the main clause to Past Simple Continuous.

'I was just wondering if the receipt would be issued electronically once the payment...' here's the issue... 'once the payment *was* complete?'

Something tells me it has to be 'was complete', but 'once' used as a conjunction in a subordinate clause is not often seen in sequence of tenses excersises. So I just want to check with those whose mother tongue is English.
>>
Still use is
>>
once the payment would be completed. same as earlier in the sentence
>>
>>744362077
payment is complete
job is done
bitch is dead

is is is is
>>
I honestly don't know what all those tenses are but IS just sounds correct when talking out loud
>>
>>744362077
Is completed? Not a native
>>
"...would be issued once the payment were complete." (Subjunctive mood)

With that said, a lot of speakers use "was" in the subjunctive too, because the verb 'to be' is the only verb in English where the subjunctive is different than the simple past anyway.
>>
>>744362077
sorry, I'm native English speaker, and its my only language, and this shit confused me.

around here it would be something like.

"Ya'll gonna give me a receipt after all this?"
>>
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1V6OAcGy9PN

Querying for "..if the Receipt would be issued electronically.." would end with "..once the payment was completed?"
>>
>>744362381
But the bigger question is, why the past tense?
>>
>>744362157

I felt that 'is' sounded kinda natural, but the main caluse is in a past tense so perhaps one can't use 'is' there.

>>744362172

'would be completed' also sounds natural, but most Grammar books say we can't use any future or future-like tenses after 'once'.

'was complete' sounds least natural and seems to distort the meaning since the 'is' after 'once' in the original sentence conveys a meaning about something in the future.

It's quite a conundrum...
>>
>>744362077
>>744362232
I was wondering if the receipt WILL be issued electronically WHEN the payment is completED.

>delete "just"
>completed
>when, not once
>>
>>744362440
You still use 'is'.
>>
>>744362523
instead of payment, use transaction.
>>
Blah blah blah has been completed.

Problem solved nigger
>>
>>744362523

Erm, why can't I use 'once' here?

And how come you use 'will' in the subordinate when the main is in a past tense? Or the whole 'I was wondering' thing is considered informal enough to sort of set aside the sequence of tenses rules so religiously taught to foreigners?
>>
all wrong.

I was just wondering if the receipt would be issued electronically once the payment HAS BEEN COMPLETED?
>>
Is complete

or

has completed
>>
Another foreigner here then. Sometimes I stumble upon certain cases where articles are omitted. but I feel like they should be there and can't quite understand why they're left out.

Real life examples I remember:

'Do you have preference?' Instead of 'a preference', spoken by a native speaker from England.

'It's just basic procedure' instead of 'a basic procedure', also spoken by a native speaker from England.

What the fuck? Why are articles omited here?
>>
More and more versions of truth as the thread unwinds... Holy balls.
>>
>>744362077
>I wonder if the receipt will be issued electronically once the payment is complete

'electronically', is redundant. we can all assume it's electronically. 'I was just wondering' or 'I wonder', makes no difference. last bit should be 'once the payment is complete'.
>>
>>744362861

Fucking laziness for the first. Could be a case of an regional accent hiding the "a"

The second is correct depending on the context.
ie. "I have to get you to sign this crash report. It's nothing to worry about. It's just basic procedure."

Ideally "standard procedure" is a better fit, but like any language, there's a certain amount of flexibility allowed when speaking it.
>>
>>744362735
/thread
>>
I was just wondering if the receipt would be issued electronically once the payment has been completed.
>>
After all of these questions, I'm just wondering what's going to happen to that damn receipt.
>>
>>744363145
>regional accent hiding the "a"

I have surmised for a long time that certain accents go as far as altering article usage, but have never been sure.

>he second is correct depending on the context.

But why? Damn, 'procedure' is a countable noun, shouldn't there be an article before it?
>>
>>744363349

'Procedure' actually can be both countable and uncountable.

http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/procedure
>>
>>744363340
Don't know about you but i'm starving. Imma eat that shit!
>>
>>744362735

Rookie ESL teacher and native speaker here - this was my thought too.

OP, I think you'll want to use present perfect in this instance (once/when payment HAS BEEN completed).
>>
>>744363145
It's = It is.
Ergo; It is just basic procedure.
Yes that makes sense.
Procedure is not being counted, it is referring to a method not an instance.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.