[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /b I'm thinking about starting martial arts, so which

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 15

Hey /b
I'm thinking about starting martial arts, so which type would give me the highest advantage in a street fight? Also post experiences you had

Pic related
>>
>>740798736
BJJ and Boxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbOiiQpQRhw

Starts after he talks about firearms, about 1:10s
>>
Boxing is the easiest martial art you can pick up. It is really fun and it doesn't hurt to learn how to punch so go with that
>>
krav maga
>>
>>740798736
chav style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8wxwqtRgSk
>>
>>740798989
Wrestling in a street fight is not very practical in many situations. I'd personally just say boxing.
>>
>>740800469
This
Start with boxing and then get some Sambo
>>
I would say muay thai for the workout.

In a streetfight, it could work cause no one clinches or uses knees.

Like the jew anon said, krav maga is pretty good, but mostly defensive.
>>
Jeet kun do and wrestling. Kicked the shit out of someone with my right hand broke. Took him to the ground and he didnt stand a chance.
>>
>>740798736
>I have studied martial arts most of my life and if you are going to pick one style, aside from just being a good all around wrestler, I would say Wing Chun is the best. A big reason that it is so effective is because it is the only martial art that is designed to allow a smaller person to defeat a larger one. Most other arts teach everything as if it is a one size fits all world but most of their techniques only work if your opponent is your size or smaller than you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_POoeIds50
>>
>>740800604
Combat sambo at that, which also gives you some good punching and kicking techniques
>>
>>740800890
>>740800910
>Only reason I didn't say Jeet Kun Do is because it is pretty much impossible to find a legit Jeet Kun Do school anymore. Jeet Kun Do is based on Wing Chun though. Just buy Bruce Lee's books and you can teach yourself. I have put drunk guys flat on their backs with a single stright punch using what I learned from Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kun Do book.
>>
>>740800469
Street fighting in almost every situation isn't practical. He asked for the martial art that would give him the highest advantage in a street fight. That's BJJ, hands down.

Boxing isn't a martial art, but extremely valuable as a self-defense tool. The problem starts when the fight goes to the ground, which is something that happens often. If the boxer is on his back, he has no idea what to do. BJJ solves this dilemma.
>>
I'd say kung fu if you are able to learn somewhere that isn't a fucking mcdojo
>>
>>740798736
do whatever you want, but dont even think about karate man
no one shoud take karate serious
>>
>>740801092
So is his book a guide to learn jeet kune do? I looked it up and wikipedia said its kinda like a philosophy book
>>
>>740801092
Sure you did. LOL
>>
>>740801240
BJJ is hands down the best form for sport fights but in a street fight there are a lot of things to consider. If someone else decides to step in you are fucked, if he is armed you are fucked; with a striking style you can keep your distance and make a run for it if you have to chance.
And don't take me wrong, I know bjj is very effective but I'm talking here about practicality and learning(first) how to take someone out with a few punches sure sounds more practical than rolling on the floor probably over some rocks and pieces of glass and offering your ass to any other likely attackers.
>>
>>740801020
Been at it for more than 5 years. I'd suggest mixing up combat Sambo with better self-defense techniques.
If you're fighting in the streets, Sambo will make you king, but in the ring, a professional fighter can handle it
>>
>>740801240
BJJ is not great for the "street". on the street, ppl have knives, and friends to kick your head in. - it's fine for unarmed 1-on-1 matches, with rules, like no biting, eye gouging, etc. but even then, one would be at a disadvantage without striking skills. - if you do BJJ, try an experiment, where you hide a marker in your gi, and next time you roll, pull it out, and start drawing shit all over your opponent. - see if you can "cut" his jugular, femoral artery, tendons, ligaments. - i don't fight for fun or machismo, i will always first try to avoid conflict, but if i cannot, i always have a knife and a gun. - too old for school yard shit.
>>
>>740802657
this!
>>
>>740802831
assume you're russian? - unfortunately it's not taught everywhere. often ppl are limited to what is available near them.
>>
>>740802657
>if someone else decides to step in you are fucked
Probably fucked regardless of your training
>if he is armed you are fucked
Probably fucked regardless of your training
>striking style you can keep your distance
You're within an arms length, hardly keeping distance.

The best self-defense is getting the fuck out of the situation. I'm not saying pull guard once you start the fight but honestly, most fights hit the ground eventually. Most BJJ guys are 2 arm lengths away or clinching you. They will not stay in striking distance for long. When they clinch, they go for a take down. If they get an untrained person on the ground, that person is fucked.

I just see a lot of people mentioning a lot of shit (Krav, jeet kune do, karate, whatever else) that will end up giving them a false sense of security. I feel you and I see where you're coming from. Just one martial art or striking sport isn't enough.
>>
Arnis; Kali; Eskrima
>>
>>740802836
You're just expanding on my point there.

>BJJ is not great for the "street"
Correct. Getting away or pulling a firearm is great for it. But, again, I'm just answering OP's question: What martial art would give him the advantage in a street fight. Clearly, he isn't concerning himself with the possibility of friends jumping in, weapons, etc.
>>
>>740803549

>Probably fucked regardless of your training

Stopped reading after this. You know nothing about survivability and martial arts
>>
>>740798736
If you're average size or bigger, then anything that teaches you to keep your feet, give and take blows and gives you a workout is good. If you're small, then you want to learn something that will make you more effective despite your size. Something that teaches you how to use knees and elbows.
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 260x172px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 260x172px
For advantage in a street fight you need a practical striking style and a grappling style.

Striking is to teach you how to block, throwing a punch, spacing/awareness and movement. Boxing, MT and WC schools are easy to find and cover this.

The grappling is to cover the eventual ground and upclose area that usually occur in a street fight. It not about focusing on a particular clinch/throw/break but knowing something to do in that situation and being comfortable when there.
Judo, BJJ and wrestling schools are easy to find.

Street fights are sloppy and unpredictable. Being able to throw a solid punch Or countering a wide swing with a throw are what you need to learn along with the experience to stay calm.
>>
>>740803549
>Probably fucked regardless of your training
100% fucked if you only know a wrestling style. With striking you are still at a huge disadvantage for sure but you can still have a chance
>You're within an arm length, hardly keeping your distance
Still more of a distance than hugging you opponent and being on your feet makes it much easier to get away if you can than being on your back
Plus I said you should learn how to strike >(first)<
You can't really call yourself a complete fighter if you only know one or the other.
>false sense of security
Literally any form of fighting can give you that, this includes bjj
>>
>>740804261
If you think that someone with a few years of some martial art or boxing can 100% defend themselves vs multiple attackers, you're a complete water head.
>>
>>740803666
weapons, especially improved ones are good to know
>>
Been fighting all my life. All these mcdojo fags saying grappling arts aren't effective on the street are fucking liars. I've been in nearly a dozen street fights and all but two ended up on the ground. Do yourself a favor and sign up at a local MMA gym that has competitive fighters. Too many traditional martial arts schools are just mcdojos, and at an MMA school you'll get a good blend of boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling and BJJ. Some places even throw in some karate and judo, the least worthless of the eastern martial arts that fill in some niches well. You'll be good to go wherever the fight goes, whatever situation you're in. Don't listen to the Bruce Lee fags OP do yourself a favor
>>
>>740804995
This guy fucking knows.
I'm this guy btw: >>740805628
>>
>>740798736
Boxing and kick boxing are essential. Jiu Jitzu (not brazilian) for armed opponents.

If it is a street fight you will die if you try to grapple. You need to be able to disarm weapons and strike at full length to stay defensive and mobile.
>>
>>740804176
Your mind seems to be too geared towards sport fighting.
Friends jumping in and weapons are all possibilities of street fights and real life situations so we should be advising him on that as well.
>>
>>740803666
Basically the same art nowadays, not bad to study if you EDC a knife and/or collapsible baton
>>
>>740801240
>Boxing isn't a martial art
Look at this fucking moron.
>>
>>740805924
Lol mcdojo fags everywhere in this thread. Fuckin weaboos
>>
>>740805628
Sure you did buddy.
Anyways, nobody here said grappling isn't effective, we are saying that it shouldn't be the only style you focus on.
>>
>>740805628
>grapple unruly opponent
>winning
>guy walks up behind you and stomps your skull into the ground

Yeah grappling in a street fight sounds great.
>>
>>740806006
>weaboos
So bjj fags then? that art is literally taken from a Japanese one
>>
>>740806006
Your problem is you don't know what martial art means.

>various sports or skills, mainly of Japanese origin, that originated as forms of self-defense or attack

American boxing is a martial art that focuses on striking with the fists. If you can't strike effectively you are just a guy flinging his arms around.
>>
>>740805218
lol so you don't think years of training can prepare you against 2-3 untrained faggots? You have literally no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>740805628
>least worthless of eastern martial arts
Literally every style you mentioned has an easter background, Muay Thai is straight up easter.
>>
>>740805218

Holy shit you are too stupid to be in this thread fuck off.
>>
>>740798736
BJJ and Muay Thai. One of the better combos imho
>>
>>740806165
BJJ is great but unless you can be sure you are only fighting one person you should NEVER go to the ground.

BJJ and traditional Jiu Jitsu differ drastically. Mainly BJJ focuses on the ground grapple while Jiu Jitzu's grapples are often throws.
>>
>>740806613
eastern*
>>
>>740806632
>BJJ master
>Trained for 3 months
>Some loudmouth at the bar getting rough
>Time to be a hero
>Grapple him to the floor
>He pulls out a knife and stabs me repeatedly in the sides
>His buddy stomps on my neck
>Die

At least I was hardcore though rite?
>>
Honestly Wrestling to defend takedowns and Boxing because all fights start on the feet
>>
>>740806696
>Jiu Jitzu's grapples are often throws

and chokes and holds
>>
>>740805218
Someone with common sense and knowing how to throw a punch can defend themselves against multiple people, assuming those people aren't as skilled. Stamina and confidence also go a long ways, if you think for a second "oh fuck, there's too many people, what do I do?!?!?!" you're fucked. Go at it and show them you couldn't give less of a shit that there are a few guys, more guys usually means they don't know how to fight.

Quantity =/= quantity.

Coming from someone who was jumped by 12 guys and taken 10+ years of TaeKwonDo (yeah yeah it's more of a sport), it isn't difficult at all to defend yourself against groups of people if you have good stamina and don't allow anyone behind you.
>>
>>740806030
I've got to agree there. MMA has proven that you need to be capable at all levels. I've bounced at bars for the last six years as well, I will say that while boxing is what benefitted me most in the street (especially against multiple opponents) wrestling was most effective at the bar. Being able to lock up and control a troublemaker without destroying him is super useful in that setting
>>
>>740798736

I took up the martial art of firearm kwan do about a year ago, no one fucks with me. Martial arts do don't shit against large groups and people who are armed. Have the ultimate defense and stop waisting time in a gym. Get a physical job of you wanna stay fit. I'm a mechanic, never have to work out.
>>
OP here
I guess im gonna go with boxing, pretty much all the time i was involved in a conflict the other party had multiple friends, so i guess being on the ground bjj-style wouldnt really turn out pretty.
But what about punching? I heard that you can hurt yourself really bad if you punche bare-knuckled, are strikes with the palm actually better?
>>
File: beautiful dragon.jpg (7KB, 182x250px) Image search: [Google]
beautiful dragon.jpg
7KB, 182x250px
>>740798736
Definitely mixed martial arts.
Try all martial arts, see if they would be practical irl by testing them.

Look for the ones that have the most efficient movement routes (if a move takes 32 milliseconds because you have to spin, instead of 2 milliseconds. Then choose the 2 millisecond option). Also look for the ones that require the least amount of time to disarm or cripple your foe, so that in an emergency you can have an opening to escape should they corner you. Remember: the goal of martial arts is to temporarily cripple someone or disarm them in extreme situations.

School shooters for example. If you hear gun shots down the hall you see if the path is clear. If it is not clear, then you hide around the corner of a door with an object so that if the shooter should come through you can bludgeon them on the head and disarm them. Once they are disarmed and restrained, you take their gun from them and escape.

The lesson to learn is that the goal of a conflict is to resolve it as soon as possible and get on with your life, only using it in situations where there are no other options. Not to look cool, but to survive.

(pic is test. Yes i am a fur fag, yes i like anime too. no i am not a furry, nor am i a weeaboo. I am stupid, but i'm not retarded.
>>
>>740806613
>Wrestling and boxing
>Eastern
God damn the weaboo autism runs deep in this thread.
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 151x191px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 151x191px
>>740806071
Extended grappling is a street fight is stupid. It also gives the perception that you are the bad guy which invites outside interference.

A toss, knee to the plexus or groin or even an elbow to the chin or temple are quick to gain advantage.

Dealing with multiple attackers is usually never covered in martial arts schools. Self defense/urban combat schools cover this and it takes a long time to get to the point where you can be effective in the situation. Weapons are the same way.

Bruce Lee was the "original" MMA fighter and JKD is a mindset. Do not go to a school for JKD without first learning how to fight and fighting for a while. However it will teach you about concepts like the flow of a fight, how to react and respond to an opponent with a focus on counter/preemptive striking.
>>
>>740798736
>>best is the get a gun
>>offensive arts are inferior
>>to defensive arts
>>krav maga for life
>>
>>740807304
Open palm is useful but if youre not trained to use them just go with a fist, its more natural
>>
>>740807117
There is a huge overlap. The main distinction between the two is that JJ has a good deal of throws and disarms while BJJ focuses on the ground grapples.

Obviously this is an oversimplification because both schools are full disciplines but it helps with differentiation
>>
>>740807304
This is a good call bro. Boxing will teach you to hit fast and with power while staying light on your feet. If and when you pick up a second martial art choose wrestling so you can stay on your feet if they grapple
>>
>>740807304
Listen to Bas

https://youtu.be/Gm0SyEqc7ns
>>
MMA training is the most practical. There is no argument to this, it just is.
>>
>>740807767
Source required when stating opinions as facts
>>
>>740807461
>I know nothing on history of martial arts
Go sit on a corner and shut the fuck up
>>
>>740807495
That's all well and good. But where was the grapple in that?

Over half this thread are fat american MMA fans that see their favorite totally not gay sweaty man grapple the bad sweaty totally not gay guy so they think BJJ is the beginning and end of all martial arts.
>>
>>740807852
Because it's an obvious point dipshit he's saying that learning to fight at all ranges with all tools at your disposal is the best way to go
>>
>>740807767
I mean sure, since "MMA" encompasses literally everything. Which combination of arts in particular are you referring to?
>>
>>740807936
Lol oh do tell me how it all comes from some monk from India who later went to the Shaolin temple that's so interesting anon
>>
It doesnt really matter. It can take years to get it to a functional level just pick ome that appeals to you and roll aith it
>>
>>740807852
MMA means mixed martial arts. It isn't a single style. He was saying the most practical approach is to explore multiple styles because there isn't 1 perfect style.
>>
>>740807852
It's been proven many times over the years that a fighter with more options to attack and defend with will win a fight against someone with less. Don't be a retard and think anime gook fu or krav maga faggotry will save you in a fight. Cardio and being physically strong is a much better option. MMA training provides with you more techniques that work in a street fight than any single martial art while also making you physically strong.
>>
>>740807964
MMA doesn't train in multiple opponents or with weapons so has some major flaws in the street.
>>
>>740808214
So much this never listen to weaboos when your life could be on the line someday
>>
>>740798736
If you want to scrap with someone, muay thai and BJJ. If you want to fight for your life with maximum brutality, arm breaking, throat crushing, krav maga
>>
>>740808273
It's not perfect by any means, no martial art is, but for getting the most bang for your buck an MMA gym can't be beat
>>
>>740808214
You have never trained in a martial art or a fighting system in your life.
>>
Practiced a blend of Kung Fu, BJJ, and straight up Jiu Jitsu for over 6 years. Would totally recomend practicing multiple styles, I also trained in only multiple attackers for some time. The tips I can offer for being on wrong end of 2 or more people is always take a hostage, never go in the middle, and never go to the ground. A good way to tell if you are getting scammed at a martial arts school is if you are ranking up very quickly and if you are a black belt in like 5 years then you are getting scammed.
>>
>>740808439
Watch out guys this guy has his black belt in five animal Shaolin he knows what he talking about
>>
>>740808273
If you're in a situation where there are multiple opponents with weapons than you refer to your cardio training which there is a great deal of in MMA training and you run. Do you think you're in a movie?
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 492x512px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 492x512px
>>740807304
The problem with any bare knuckle fighting is that the face is pointy. The forehead is a natural helmet The chin is a spike and teeth are the fucking worst to hit head on.

You would want to aim for the throat, the side of the jaw, and the temples. With the proper setup these are easy targets. Practice makes perfect.

Dempsey era boxers focused on body shots for a reason. And your going to be street fighting. Do not pidgeon hole yourself into a style. Do not place rules on yourself for a fight.

Step on ankles, heel to the knee from the front or the side. Knock them down and kick/stop the head.
>>
>>740808439
I actually have a black belt in BJJ under Cesar Gracie but ok. Whatever makes you feel better.
>>
>>740808075
You do know the modern western world can't be said to be more than 500 years old right? and the indigenous population of the americas never developed a notable fighting styles.

Most martial arts come from the east which means everywhere that isn't north or south america.
>>
>>740808592
You can't always run bro. Sometimes you have to stay and fight/defend yourself or someone who can't run with you? Surely you've considered this when arguing about street effectiveness.
No, not a movie, just seen enough to know that If you think you're fighting 1 on 1 you're gonna end up badly hurt.
>>
>>740808075
Never said they all came from the east but the ones you mentioned do. There are depictions of boxing in paintings from Asia and the middle east centuries before the Greek even decided to pick it up. Do your research, nigger
>>
lmao bjj in a street fight yeah right
>>
>>740808707
Fucking LOL. You went right to the top hahaha Your ego is so big you awarded yourself a blackbelt in your own fantasies.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
>>740798736

well i think you are serious about it.

I suggest you to train Ninjutsu (budo-taijutsu) on a Bujinkan school dojo. This is the only martial art left on the world, anything else are just sports
>>
>>740808822
Dipshit Europe counts as the west too. Boxing and wrestling come from Greece. You know, that place they call the cradle of western civilization?
>>
>>740808875
In 33 years I've never fought anyone outside of competition. Like where are you going that a scenario where you are attacked by bandits while traveling on foot with a crippled companion?
>>
File: IMG_0161.jpg (23KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0161.jpg
23KB, 200x200px
>>740808214
>krav maga won't help in a street fight
> Israeli special forces train in Krav Maga because it is great exercise

> Krav Maga specifically trains to deal with multiple opponents, how to defend and avoid knife and blunt weapon attacks krav maga has a huge emphasis on awareness anticipating potential threats and brutal strikes to end an encounter and escape regardless of the amount of attackers

> def not going to help in a street fight and I base all of this on an obvious complete lack of knowledge.

Mfw
>>
>>740808997
sure but do you want to choose a fighting style based on a semantic technicality?

Fighting arts are fighting arts even if they were designed as sport.
>>
>>740808937
Oh honey... Plz quit Kung fu
>>
Any martial art can be great, and defeat any other martial art, some are just harder to learn than others.

Drunken boxing for instance, is great and effective, but its also a highly acrobatic style that is hard to get used to past an intermediate level.

Go with something simple and practical, once you can get that to a usable level move on to another style.
>>
>>740808996
You are arguing a fantasy with a stranger on the Internet or a guy who has trained in BJJ for 16 years came into a martial arts thread on /b/ either way, makes no real difference, just relax.
>>
>>740809064
Welcome to the 21st century. The west is the America's. The rest is east.
>>
File: 1495169820597.jpg (32KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1495169820597.jpg
32KB, 480x480px
>>740801092
>Drunk guys
>flat on their backs with a single straight punch

Any moron can do that.
>>
>>740809090
Jew trickery comes in many forms, stay vigilant.
>>
>>740809082
>what are children
>what are old people
>what are family members
>what are drunk friends
You'll look real tough sprinting away and leaving someone behind. You awareness of fighting suggests you've never fought a day in your fucking life.
>>
>>740809311 technically pal, Rome is where the west starts. Everything east of rome is the east. Everything west of rome is west. Except africa, africa doesnt count.
>>
File: 1479328587795.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1479328587795.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>>740809152
Who is talking about kung fu here? Especially when mentioning the middle east.
At this point you are just trash talking and baiting so I guess we are done here
>>
>>740809562
Mcdojo detected
>>
>>740809504
If only rome was still relevant.
>>
OP here
Thanks guys for the answers gonna go to bed now :*
>>
>>740809657
Gee thanks for confirming what I said
>>
>>740809698
Hey man, rome is probably still around unless the iraquis bombed it
>>
>>740809732
ok bby
>>
>>740809808
I said relevant.
>>
Jew Jitsu
>>
>>740809308
It doesn't matter if you know what you are talking about or you don't. You should know exactly no one was going to believe you have 16 years experience in anything.
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 336x230px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 336x230px
>>740807962
The grapple would have been the throw portion. Learning how to grapple teaches you quick takedown throws that you usually need training to deal with.

Yes most of the people responding are too focused on sport fighting. OP needs to learn that the style is not important.

I do want to say that I'm not a fan of grappling myself and it's something I need to work on. But I understand its importance in both street and sport fighting.
>>
>>740809144
what are you talking about?

you must understand

most of the so called "fighting arts" are not arts in reality, for something be an art must have the principle of "creation".

The diference between an martial art and a fighting sport or even a "systema" is the lack of creation and principles.
>>
>>740800203
>this
one of a small number of correct answers
>>
Combat Sambo my dude
>>
>>740810337
Right. And this is a semantic argument because people want a practical method of fighting and don't care if it is technically not martial or its creation principles.
>>
>>740810295
I think it is because most people don't know that disarms and throws ARE grappling.

American MMA entertainment uses grapple to identify ground holds.
>>
Start getting good at running chances are there will be more than one of them in a street fight.
>>
Krav Maga, Sambo, Ju-Jitsu, doesn't mean shit when you have a horde of nigger apes beatin down on you, because one gorilla can't fight his own damn battles if life depended on it.
>>
>>740810925
So true
>>
>>740806933
>3 months of training
>expecting to be competent enough to fuck up some guy
Your fake example is from a retard's perspective
>>
>>740807304
that's why you train in boxing so you don't hurt your fist flailing your arms around
>>
>>740811107
Then make that 3 years, nigger, still doesn't change anything
>>
>>740810560
well he asked

i answer.....
>>
I used to fight MMA, and fought in a lot of street fights. I learned Muay Thai, BJJ, and Wrestling over the course of 4 years. In a street fight, I would say you need basic striking, but grappling is much more important. If you get into a fight with a guy much larger than you, you have to have the basic of throwing people and taking them down.
>>
>>740811107
It was ironic to make it clear that it was a strawman.

The point still stands. Grapple holds will get you killed on the street.
>>
I do brazillian jiujitsu and muay thai and san shou kickboxing
The goat martial art is kickboxing for the street. Just kickboxing and wrestling and you should be good.
>>
>>740798989
This. Boxing will help you with head movement and bjj helps with ending a fight without having to knock someone out
>>
>>740811305
You didn't answer. I said it was semantic because being martial or an art is not core to being a practical fighting style. Then you continued to explain why it isn't an art.

Semantics are always a trash argument.
>>
File: anti_racist_action.jpg (18KB, 170x492px) Image search: [Google]
anti_racist_action.jpg
18KB, 170x492px
>>740798736
I'm middle aged now, but I was a street brawler and I used to run with ARA in the 80s. I put a lot of boneheads in the hospital. My father was also a street brawler in his day, and was also an amateur boxer, and it's him who taught me how to fight. Over the years I've fought a lot of people, many of whom thought they could shoot the boots with fancy martial arts. I have never been impressed by any of them, and they all learned that a street corner isn't a dojo mat.

I recommend boxing. If street fighting is what you want to do, you need to learn how to maximize your punching strength and block punches, and that's what boxing does. To be honest, though, street fighting is more about hitting first and hardest. You never want a fair fight if it can be avoided; you put the other guy on his ass as fast as possible, preferably without warning and without giving him a chance to fight back.
>>
File: 1205488509815.gif (1MB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
1205488509815.gif
1MB, 300x199px
>>740810708
Nigga you are absolutely right. I did not even think about that.

I'm gonna put my munchers on hold to properly thank you.

Thank you anon
>>
>>740803549
>The best self-defense is getting the fuck out of the situation.

This guy understands the reality of martial arts.

I've studied them for more than 20 years. the one thing I know for absolute certainty is, if I get attacked in the street, the entirety of that training is applied in one action: disable anyone who is in my way, for me to get out of the situation. if I do not have to disable anyone to get out of the situation, then I get the hell out of there. Doubly so if there is the slightest risk of the attackers having a knife or similar weapon for threat escalation.

If you think that your kingfukravmagabjjsystemawhatthefuck will make you some sort of elite combat god able to defeat attackers, then you have been fed a line of bullshido a mile long.

your martial art, irrespective of what it is, will give you two advantages: spatial awareness - the ability to be aware of where you are and where threats are - and muscle memory that may well allow you an extra fraction of a second to break an attempted grapple, and give you the second you need to run.

that is the reality of martial arts, in a street incident.
>>
>>740803549
>The best self-defense is getting the fuck out of the situation.

Finally, someone in this thread who knows what the fuck they're talking about.
>>
File: 1500654339380.jpg (46KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
1500654339380.jpg
46KB, 500x491px
>>740811801
>>
>>740812725
I wonder why more people don't think like this. All the fighting action movies in the last like 20 years focus on moving from point A to B in the safest way possible.

Jason borne and John Wick aren't sweeping the leg and choke holding. They are on the move and their head is on a swivel.
>>
Learn it all. So many variables some into fighting, to name a few learn to punch. Work on punching and moving your head. Practice being accurate, practice being agile moving your feet while doing so. Learn to kick, kick your adevsary at your distance. (I practice in boxing and taekwondo) I utilize side kicks, front kicks, question mark kick. Be unpredictable don't have a repitive pattern which will make you susceptible to a counter attack. Mix it up throw a one two, the feint it see what opens up! How they react to your movement. Learn to grapple, Muy Thai is great in the clinch, rip someone up with elbows and knees to the body and head. Learn the ground game aspect of fight. BJJ is highly effective, as well as wrestling in certain situations. I can ramble on but don't focus on just one art, practice all arts and find out for yourself what is effective and discard what is not. Be water my friend
>>
>>740798736
in order:
Western boxing in order to take a hit
BJJ for ground, joint lock
Something something to learn how to effectively kick below the waist - nothing fancy
Some judo if you're feeling fancy, but primarily for learning balance and core strength

also, Ruh na Wei. an essential art to avoid a trip to the ED or jail
>>
Kickboxing and wrestling.

Bjj is good but only for defense nased ground game. It's still good but knowing traditional wrestling helps more the bjj in a fight.

Stay away from tai kwon doe and shit like unless you already have hands.

But buying a gun works great 10/10 times for defense. Ain't much someones going to do with a gun. Even a cheap hi point c9 9mm would get the job done but 38specials always work well for home defense and conflict that CAN'T be avoided and your scared of getting jumped.
>>
>>740812725
>>740813241
Sure he knows, until you read the rest of his posts. And the quote you are pointing out was pretty much said before in the thread
>>
>>740798736
Doesn't much matter. Each year of martial arts training you undergo reduces the number of people who could kick your ass by about 50%.
>>
File: 20170604_145648.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170604_145648.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>740813689
Pic related is only $700 and will last me my whole life. Great for defense!
>>
>>740813719
>until you read the rest of his posts
>his posts

who the hell is "his", everybody is anon here.
>>
>>740813921
I think it's pretty easy to point out the posts made by that guy, anon. At least most of them
>>
File: 1134494.gif (46KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1134494.gif
46KB, 240x240px
>2017
>martial arts
>>
>>740798736
The best advantage you can have in a street fight is to hit them first, hit them more, hit them harder, and not being afraid to take a punch or two to get in 5 or 6 back.

Why do you want an advantage in a street fight? Protection? Carry a gun/knife and train to be safe and use it. To kick random people's asses and be a bully? Get a life faggot, someone's going to clean your clock if you get into enough altercations. No matter how good you are, on any given day there's someone who's going to destroy you. It may be a different person every day, but they are out there.

I took 4 years Kung Fu, 2 years Kenpo, 6 months Tae Kwon Do (Left because I'd never fight someone on horseback), a year of Muy Thai. I've won all the fight's I've been in, but most of it is because I'm more violent than the people who fucked with me. They want to punch someone in the face, but I want to watch them bleed, cry and shit themselves. My training has very little to do with the success I've had in fights. It comes down to the fact that I will not accept losing. I've bitten a chunk out of some asshole's shoulder because he was getting the better of me for a few seconds. I've cracked ribs, broken arms and even fractured one guy's skull by running him into a concrete wall with both of our weights going into it.

If you just want to learn to look intimidating, I'd go with Kung Fu. Lot's of intimidating stances and movements that can fool people into not wanting to mess with you. Muy Thai is more intimidating to someone who knows how to fight, though less to someone who is not an experienced fighter.

Krav Maga is dirty and effective, but you really want to be confortable going to the ground with someone and continually bashing their face in if you go with that style.
>>
I've been in exactly one street fight and I won that fight
>Be drunk
>Swing first
>Aim for the face
>have friends there

That's pretty much it op
>>
>>740814275
>Implying a guy running at you with a knife is going to give you any chance to ready your gun
>>
>>740813719
>And the quote you are pointing out was pretty much said before in the thread

Except for the fact that no-one else had said it.

you dont fight. you dont use sambo or krav maga, or fucking tai kwan leep, to grapple, or take down, or any of that shit.

you RUN. if they have a weapon, you run faster than you ever have in your life.

there is only one point where you fight; and that's when your escape route is blocked.

and if it is blocked, you dont grapple to the floor, because your spatial awareness is gone, and their mate will shank you in the kidney. you dont try to "knock them out", because that takes time you do not have.
your action is to disable the person in your way. not put them down, not kill, not KO. disable. remove their ability to be a threat. be that a suckerpunch or burst thier face throw them into someone else, you eliminate their ability to impede you, and you get the fuck out.

that is how you do not end up in the morgue.

which is what none of the fucking idiots in this thread have said.
>>
>>740814661
>implying you let yourself get into that situation in the first damn place.
>>
>>740798736

>Eyes, ears, digits and nose

Poke/gouge eyes, twist/rip/bite ears, bend fingers, pick the far back of his nose.
>>
>>740814720
Then no gun or fighting style is needed. Still street fights don't always happen because you look for them but because some other asshole does.
>>
>>740814718
Yeah except that the retard you guys are quoting explicitly said that rolling on the fucking floor was the best way of self defense while the guy he was arguing with said it was better to stay on your feet so if you get the chance to run you do that.
How about you read the fucking thread first, retard
Thread posts: 152
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.