[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here dealt with addiction before? I'm going to

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: 4d3b6cc2ade8a1fce3f97741b73f22e8.jpg (207KB, 1418x2789px) Image search: [Google]
4d3b6cc2ade8a1fce3f97741b73f22e8.jpg
207KB, 1418x2789px
Has anyone here dealt with addiction before? I'm going to my first support-group tomorrow. I'm feeling pretty alone right now.

Has anyone had success (or failure, it's all life) in addictions before?
>>
File: Dextromethorphan.jpg (40KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
Dextromethorphan.jpg
40KB, 700x467px
This past weekend I went on a serious bender that started with weed and booze and ended with cough syrup and fucking vanilla extract. Part of me just wants to be put out of my misery.
>>
I never got why people drank when they were sad when I was younger, but now that I haven't seen my daughter in a month or so I get it. It feels like someone impaled me with a structural support when I'm sober.
>>
File: smile_CheshireCatt_1384929859.png (13KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
smile_CheshireCatt_1384929859.png
13KB, 1200x1200px
bump
>>
Have I been shadow banned or something? Can a janitor at least tell me so I'm not wasting my time looking for help?
>>
File: 12_suicide.jpg (187KB, 980x490px) Image search: [Google]
12_suicide.jpg
187KB, 980x490px
>>
>>735128213
I've quit heroin, nicotine, and heavy drinking cold turkey a year ago.

I also started doing weekly 2 day fasts.

Literally all you need is willpower.

there are no tricks.
weening yourself off, unless medically necessary, is a mistake.

Listening to a bunch of nob jockeys ramble on about the thing you're trying to give up doesn't really work. It's just another thing you don't do.

Moderating things you have to do is always a challenge, but stopping doing something is literally time spent not doing shite, its easy to quit.

so quit, unless you feel like telling me quitting heroin and fags in the same day, and alcohol the next week isn't as hard as putting down a fucking bottle and finding a hobby.
>>
>>735128929

I totally know it's will power. I'm not struggling to quit or anything, I'm just struggling with how shit I feel when I'm sober. I have to push through the "Kill me" "I want to die" etc. I appreciate your comment, just knowing others have done it helps. Thanks.
>>
>>
>>735128213
43 days sober here after 20 years, the last 8 especially, of hard drinking. Do it and don't look back, OP. You'll never regret it.
>>
>>735129133
You're much more likely to relapse if you make going to support groups a frequent thing.

Take a pottery class or something, talk to people that aren't in any way connected to it, if you're having trouble getting past it.
>>
>>735128213
Quit drinking 2 years ago cold turkey. First month was pretty shitty, but then everything starts to gradually get better day by day. You can do it, /b/ro
>>
Went to inpatient rehab for a month after a stay in psych. Quit smoking cigarettes. I smoke weed & oil on occasion for anxiety. Been sober since December.
>>
>>735129322

That's awesome man. What were/are you running from and what helps you manage your drinking?

>>735129412

Really? yeah I guess that makes sense. I think I just wanted to see people that were going through the same shit as me. Scum of the earth types so I don't feel like the only fuck up.

>>735129464

Nice. Yeah I'm going cold turkey. I'm not as dependent on alcohol as some others, weed is another cornerstone of my escapism. It's not even cravings its just pure hatred of being able to process emotions. Thanks for your support and I hope you keep at it too.
>>
>>735129622

Yeah I told my intake working I was quiting booze but I just wanted to cut down on weed. It's too much fun to smoke to stop forever, but that's just me. Others have given up weed too.
>>
>>735128213
If you can get help with whatever your dealing with, then all power to you.

If not I would be happy to get smashed with you.
>>
>>735129626
Just gettin in my own head too much and making myself miserable. For me, outpatient rehab and AA has worked wonders. Good luck to you.
>>
>>735129738
I'd rather smoke than drink.
>>
>>735128929
Let's all give a slow clap to you ya fucking douche flute.

OP, besides this fuck stick and a handful of ass hats who can stop on their own, kudos to you, others need support. Group sessions gets you sharing with people that have gone through similar shit, can relate to your feels and guide you through the process of recovery. If that's what you want there's people out there that want the same thing, strength in numbers sort of stuff.

Yeah, be nervous, who wouldn't be? But give it a shot. One day at a time and you can always drink/use tomorrow.
>>
>>735129626
don't worry mate, we're all scum, but you're safer talking about the weather with some geyser at a horse race than about your prior addiction with a post drunk.
>>
>>735129787

Rock on man. I love getting wrecked but most of the bad decisions in my life have been when I was drinking so it just doesn't feel worth it anymore.

>>735129854

Thats awesome man. Keep up the good fight.

>>735129895

Fucking amen.

>>735129927

I get where he's coming from. I agree that all of it boils down to willpower. Most of life does, I just think some of us have more weaknesses than others. I'm trying to correct mine and what you're telling me shows me that I'm going for the perfect reason. To have people to relate to. Thanks man.

>>735129995
>we're all scum

Hence why I posted here! but yeah I don't want to be someone who relies solely on support groups, I'm just in a crisis situation right now so any support is support. Thanks man.
>>
>>735129927
Please op, don't listen to some fucking wazzock who is literally suggesting you relapse

jesus fucking christ

Half of my friend wen't to support meetings to get off skag, and half of the time they just spunked their pants reminiscing about it.

The last thing you wan't is to think about your addiction any longer than you have to, You aren't a recovering alcoholic, thinking like one, surrounding yourself with them, will make this harder.
>>
>>735130422

You both make good points that I take away.

"It all boils down to willpower, don't let the groups suck you back in."

and

"Hey, just because you try and fail doesn't mean it's over for you, group sessions can be useful."

Thats what I'm taking away from it anyway. Thanks to both of you guys, and thank god I don't do heroin or meth.
>>
>>735130177
I'm not saying you shouldn't go, or that you should go this alone, but long term success is found in support people unconnected to the issue entirely.

you should look into joining some local indoor sports shite or whatever.

get into doubles badminton, you know the drill. Make some friends
>>
>>735130699

Yeah. I'm trying not to sound like a pussy but it's hard getting out of bed in the morning. My ex wife has dragged my name through the mud in the city I live in. It just feels crippling some days. So I drink, smoke, etc
>>
File: 1492304135036.png (302KB, 503x388px) Image search: [Google]
1492304135036.png
302KB, 503x388px
>>735128213
Too much experience man, too much. Been addicted to booze, weed, ciggies and methamphetamine.

Getting off booze was pretty unpleasant, but i've stayed off for the most part. Quitting tobacco was pretty easy on the 100th go. Haven't been able to stop smoking weed every day or a weekly gear habit though, it feels fucking impossible. Im on a hell of a comedown right now, my body is in poor condition and i have so much shit to do. I dun goofed in life.
>>
File: flaked-will-arnett-netflix.jpg (821KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
flaked-will-arnett-netflix.jpg
821KB, 1000x562px
Has anyone here watched flaked? It's actually the show that convinced me to get help.

>>735131016

Hey man. I can only imagine how hard it would be to deal with feeling that way. How are you working through it?
>>
>>735128929
obviously there are tricks though, like keeping busy with a hobby or exercise, some people say kratom helps
>>
Hey completely seriously I'm in NA... I'll put a picture of my keytags in a minute. Got over 3 years clean from all drugs
>>
>>735131220

That's awesome man! Completely straight edge now? You still go to meetings?

Honestly I want to beat this and become a sponser some day, that's kinda my goal.
>>
Hey OP,

I went through a xanax addiction that lasted over 5 years. Went from .25mg when needed to 20mg a day, starting with a shot of tequila and a xanax bar in the morning. Had to take the bus to work- not because I was too fucked up to drive (0 fucks given about being moral and endangering others on the road) but because I crashed my truck into a freeway onramp while fucked up on xanax.

Finally totally unable to function, went to rehab for 45 days and it changed everything. I didn't stick to the 12 step program but I will say this: being in a place that is both safe and where you can have constant supervision on a controlled detox is huge. While I didn't get down with the 12 steps, I saw TONS of people who desperately needed it and it saved their lives.

Don't be afraid of support groups. Keep an open mind and realize you've got a problem and need all the help you can get.
>>
>>735131154
Poorly to be honest with you dude, im trying to revise for exams with a scrambled brain, shaky hands and nasty acid gut.

I have no idea why i keep doing this to myself, i dont want to anymore, i just cant seem to stop.
>>
>>735128929
>quit drinking cold turkey a year ago
Still drinking Wild Turkey, I would hope.
>>
>>735131736
I snort hot turkey quite regularly, and occasionally eat warm turkey.

but drinking cold turkey? fuck that.
>>
>>735131508

Yikes dude. Been taking only 2mg at night for, well, years, and want to get off of it. No tolerance-building though.
>>
>>735131508

Honestly I'm catching this thing before it really consumed my life. I was lying to myself saying my generous weed and alcohol consumption was fine but this last weekend I was drunk and high for longer than i'd ever been before and after 36 hours awake I felt like I needed help.

>>735131712

Sounds like my relationship. I can only offer weak-ass advice like drink lots of water and try to get good sleep, that helps ton for me.

Have you talked to someone abotu it lately? Do you have a support structure?
>>
you guys make me feel better about my fifth on the weekends
>>
>>735132007

A lot of us would like to be there. Fuck I'm like... one week into going cold turkey and I don't even think it's hit me yet.

Does anyone have a hard time saying no to drinks offered by their friends? Or social drinking?
>>
>>735131902
I can't talk to anyone about my problems because having any one of my friends or family find out im addicted to meth would absolutely ruin my life.

Im in the fucked up position of being a secret drug addict, no one knows i do either and none of my friends do drugs. I wish i could talk to someone about my shit, but i think im just gonna have to tackle this one by myself.
>>
>>735132415

No no. Thats the worst, you can't do it. I tried and being alone is the worst part. Even if you can't tell your family, you really should find an addictions counselling place nearby and find someone to talk to.

It may not seem important now, but please don't forget what I'm telling you

dealing with a drug addiction alone is putting your life on hard mode.
>>
>>735128213

Tham Krabok

90 percent of those who come to Tham Krabok complete the program and 60 percent remain drug-free one year later. Those are compelling statistics compared to the recovery rates in Western rehab centers, which are closer to 30 or 40 percent. The recovery rate for Alcoholics Anonymous programs, which dominate Western rehab facilities, is a mere 5 to 10 percent.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/thailands-monastic-rehab-tham-krabok-528
>>
>>735132731

Oh, and Tham Krabok is free, although you have to follow and obey their rules.
>>
>>735132731

Yeah I've seen the shitty 12 step AA programs and their biproducts (people who think AA is their only savior, never think they did anything themselves). I'm pretty tuned in to bullshit.

Fuck that looks intense. I'm not sure if I'm at that level yet tbh. I'm lucky I caught this early before I was passed out on the side of the road.
>>
>>735132951

Yeah, this just seems like a definite answer to addiction, without the endless relapse cycles.

Wat Thamkrabok has also received global attention for its heroin and opium drug rehabilitation program, which was started in 1959. Over 100,000 heroin and opium addicts have since gone through the unique Wat Thamkrabok detox program, a program consisting of Buddhist meditation, Asian herbal supplementation used for relaxation, induced vomiting, and the consumption of a secret detoxification potion composed of many different herbs. In 1975, Luang Por Chamrun Parnchand was awarded the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award for the temple's drug rehabilitation work.

A number of Western drug users have sought treatment for their addictions at Wat Thamkrabok, In 2002 Stuart Brindley[7] became the first methadone addict from the UK to be treated at the monastery while other prominent westerners including British punk rock musician Pete Doherty, Irish rock music singer Christy Dignam of Aslan, American computer underground personality Patrick K. Kroupa and British singer songwriter Tim Arnold.

In 2004, Tim Arnold's success story was the subject of many news articles in the UK.[8][9] After completing his programme Arnold subsequently became a permanent Tham Krabok resident and favourite 'son' of the monastery's abbot, Luang Por Charoen.[10]

Because opium used to be commonly grown and, at times, consumed by the Hmong (largely for medicinal purposes) in the highlands of Thailand and Laos, some Hmong refugees have undergone addiction treatment at Wat Thamkrabok. Wat Thamkrabok also supports the detoxification of those addicted to alcohol and methamphetamines.
>>
>>735132561
The drug addiction itself is putting my life on hard mode, going sober would make everything so much easier. I just dont have the guts to deal with the ruthless depression that lies in wait when i stop.
>>
File: Monthly Budget.jpg (32KB, 275x300px) Image search: [Google]
Monthly Budget.jpg
32KB, 275x300px
>>735128213
sure man. sober fag here. it's gay and I don't like the idea of God, but when you're at the bottom of your shit rope, the 12 steps and other sober people WILL help you.

pic related
>>
I quit drinking over a year ago. I still dri k once in a long while, maybe twice a month. But i had been drinking to blackout states almoat every other day for a while. How i quit was i got arrested and got put on an alcohol monitor braclet. Makes it so if you drink you go to jail. Sobered me up real quick and never really went back to it. However, i do use kratom almost daily now to get to sleep, as that was my main reason for drinking.
>>
>>735128213
Yeah I have a drinking problem, I start drinking and can't stop untill I blackout and do embarrasing and shameful things.
>>
>>735133317
congratulations, you're still an addict. speaking from experience: switching substances works for a while, but the old behaviors and consequences will return.
>>
Hey addicts who have got clean do you think its possible to stop abusing drugs and just use them like normal people. I have problems where I take drugs but become addicted but I don't want to quit using all together just calm it down some.
>>
>>735133603
no. this is not possible. any real studies/literature will show you there is no hope for people with the addictive trait to use recreationally.
>>
>>735133260

Yeah I getcha. Every minute I'm sober is another minute my internal voice tells me to just kill myself. I'm waiting on my dealer now actually so I'm not perfect.

But still, addiction is hard, dealing with it alone is impossible. You might be like me, which is to say you might just never want to truly stop being high. I'm struggling with that right now, but other people will help.

>>735133314

Yeah, I doubt I will adhere to every rule, especially since I'm in CA so the programs are more for equipping you with the tools to get through your addiction rather than steps.

>>735133317

I'm glad you've managed to cut down your drinking to something more reasonable, thats a huge thing. Balance is the key, if you can manage it. I'm glad you're back on your way up man.

>>735133430

I can't keep seem to keep myself from drinking if there is booze around, and most of the dumb shit I've done has been because of drinking, so I'm right there with ya. Are you doing anything to help it?

>>735133715

I'm starting to come to this conclusion. I've been without weed for about a week and a half now and I can tell that I still want to smoke constantly. I still have to test it though so we'll see.
>>
>>735133602
i'm no fan of kratom but at least it's so fucking disgusting in large amounts it's difficult to abuse
>>
>>735128576
Dude. I havent seen my son in 3 days and I'm miserable. I miss him. I drink more because baby momma drama but fuck I miss him. No one told me being a dad would be this hard
>>
>>735133602

Isn't everyone an addict to something? Coffee, kratom, weed, sugar, videogames it's all dopamine at the end of the day right?
>>
>>735133822
test away brother. lord knows I had to. following your path is the only way to get to the end
>>
>>735134022
those tremors when you don't take it though.....damn
>>
>>735134010

This is our curse now. I was at home every day with my daughter while my wife worked and I heard from a friend that she still goes around the house asking "where daddy? Where daddy?" I can't see her right now because my ex stirred up enough shit, I'm not perfect, but I'm not the "abusive" whatever she's telling everyone (work, friends, etc) I am.

Fuck man. My dealer has been giving me the runaround for 2 days I'm losing my shit with this guy now.
>>
>>735134022
of course, anything can be addictive. the requirements for addiction, though, center around the continued use/action in spite of negative consequences.
>>
>>735134024

It's a journey, it's not fun but it doesn't have to be alone.

Are we weak? Do people see us as weak? Are we just human? My dad was a wino so maybe I got his addiction tendencies.
>>
I smoke weed every single day if available... Sometimes I feel like a piece of shit and other times I love it.
Alcohol is a different animal tho OP it will make you take some fucked up decisions and generally fuck your body up pretty badly.
Depression is the main concern tho, sobering up is the easy part, trying to find value and purpose in yourself is just fucking hard at least for me...

I truly wish you the best of luck man
>>
>>735128213
addictions are sign of weakness, it shows that you cannot controll yourself, the most basic thing in existance.
You are a disgrace
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.