[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

continued: ask an audio engineer anything. still saw a few unanswered

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 4

File: audio.jpg (20KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
audio.jpg
20KB, 280x210px
continued: ask an audio engineer anything.

still saw a few unanswered questions yesterday, wanna keep the convo going.
>>
>>734847278
Im interested in audio engineering, i was wondering how you got into it and if I don't have the right qualifications how I'd go about getting a job in it
>>
>>734847278
How much do you earn
How does a normal day of work usually goes
Would you recommend it or is it for certain type of people
>>
Do you meet sluts?
>>
As someone with experience in that industry. What other audio related jobs are you qualified for ?
>>
Is ur name Kenny
>>
Did souljaboy tellem ruin ur career?
>>
>>734847660
I am still in school, following an audio engineering BA. I'm a firstyear.

I'd recommend following a course that handles the basics. You can learn a lot on your own though, depending on what field you'd wish to work in.
>>
>>734848130
I'm still in school, I don't earn anything.
However, when I graduate, I expect to be working for free for at least 6 months before I can get a contract.

If you have a passion for sound, it's definitely for you. Depends on what you want to do though, there's a lot of possibilities.

Sound for media, movies, games, film, etc etc. Or the creative part (recording bands, production for advertisement, etc)
>>
>>734848212
Yes.
>>
>>734848651
I haven't graduated yet. So i'm not really qualified for anything. I can use a few consoles though. I also know a thing of two about sound design and theory.
>>
>>734848744
no
>>
>>734849071
Oh ok, you're still at school, I had the idea you were already doing that stuff, but now I'm curious about the school

How do the courses usually go?
What's the homework like and how do assignments go
What books or learning media do you use

Is it expensive
>>
Do you have any links to free books about it or free courses
I ve been working in a club for a year on a funktion one sound system without any qualifications but I still want to learn more about it
>>
File: IMG_1799.jpg (21KB, 298x224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1799.jpg
21KB, 298x224px
Kenny do you really need that many knobs?
>>
>>734849405
The courses are either full time or part-time. Full time means you have class from monday to thursday, 3 hours per class

The year is divided into modules (a new module every 4 months) and at the end of each module is an exam about what you learned in the module.

We don't really get homework, although we're expected to be constantly working and improving our skills. We do have assignments though. for example, make a band recording. we get a few weeks for that.

We don't use books. Teachers use presentations that we can find on the online workspace for students. We can use these to study.

It is expensive. There are cheaper alternatives, but my school is focused on audio engineering alone. State schools will have other courses you won't really need.

In my opinion, it's worth it though. I have access to really expensive, top-of-the-line equipment so I can really get experience and book studios.
>>
>>734847278
Hi man. What setup would you recommend for home listening for around 5k-8k ?

I had my eyes on a pair of Devialet Phantom Golds but to be honest, the soundstage isn't great. What i really dig is their simplicity.

They sound good, clear, deep bass, but they don't seem to pack that localized sound feeling.

Currently, i'm listening to hd800 and they sound phenomenal , a little too clear for just chilling to some music.

I'd really appreciate some opinions tbh.
>>
>>734849511
I have no experience with live sound. I don't know anything about that, sorry.

I do production and recordings
>>
>>734847278

Professional Recording Engineer/Producer of 15+ years here:

- What are you planning to do when you leave school/College.

- What are you views on artists self recording instead of coming to the studio, and working with people like yourself.

- Does your school teach you basic stuff to do with working for yourself? Writing production contracts, working out your tax, keeping accurate books etc.

- What's your favourite mic?
>>
>>734850056
Well i do produce to do you have something for this?
>>
>>734849758
Would you be willing to leak one of those presentations anon?
>>
>>734850085
hi

- I hope to work in film, be it score writing or sound design

- If the band knows what they're doing, then that's fine with me. I know more and more people are starting to build their own home studios but I'm confident that professional studios will always be more prestigious and effective. (also when it comes to pre-production, mic placement, etc. most artists don't know anything about that.)

- No, not really. My school does have a music business course, I think most of that stuff is taught there.

- I haven't worked with a ton of different mics, but I do like the SM57 for guitars and snares.
>>
>>734850085

Not OP but the correct answer here is "The one that gives me the sound I want". Anyone who has a favourite overall mic is retarded and I'd question their competence...

That said, the C414 XLS matched pair covers you pretty much everywhere :P
>>
>>734850158
What would you like to know?
>>
>>734850245
I could get into some serious shit for that. sorry, i'm not gonna risk it.
>>
>>734850477
>>734850498

Regarding the Mic question, that was a trick question.

And agreed, if you have one favourite, which you're going to put on everything, then you're not going far in this industry.

OP:

- Good Film/TV/Online Video has a ton of work going, good choice. Also consider video game work.

- Good, I'm glad you're not a retard who believes everything should be done in a studio by an engineer, those guys are quickly running out of work.

- This is MEGA important shit, learn it yourself asap, you'll likely end up working for yourself so you need business savvy, much more than technical knowledge and even practical experience.

- SM58s aren't microphones, they're pieces of metal that can withstand impacts higher than any other formations of metal. Good microphones they are not. For guitar amps please see Coles 4038, and for snares please try Beyer M201. You will be a happier boy once you do.
>>
Also professional 10yrs in here. Make my living working in a recording studio.. Ama
x
>>
>>734847278
for anyone interested in going to school for Audio Engineering DO NOT GO TO A 4 YEAR PROGRAM. Not only does it not take that long to learn, but you will be dropping 4x as much as you need to. + having a degree in Audio Engineering is much different than other areas of study, the degree won't get you the job. Go to a trade school, learn your shit in half the time/price or less. But this isn't for slow learners, the trade schools will teach you everything you need, but you must be incredibly focused! Especially when it comes to electrical engineering side, & business/logistics, these are the two most important aspects of everything audio. Many schools have internship programs, that if you create the right relationships with alumni, will get you in the door in serious studios, soundstages, etc all over the world. Check out C.R.A.S., Point Blank, etc.

Sources
>CRAS Grad
>Live Sound Engineer ($200/day rate)
>Synthesizer Manufacturer

I hope to do sound for film one day, as I'm obsessed with modular synthesis and the like.

Good luck!
>>
>>734851038
Good advice here
x
>>
>>734851154
See >>734849511
>>
>>734847278
If i'm creating a home studio, should I cover the walls with foam or is it ok to space it out?
>>
>>734851038

Not OP again.

I thought as much, but I have to deal with idiots where I work who come in to learn, don't listen to what we tell them, then think stupid things like "The SM57 is a snare mic." and "The C414 is just for vocals."

Those Coles are the bomb on acoustic guitars too, have a pair and using the old neck/sound hole positioning they produce a great, nuanced result. STC-1 matched pair are also worth using here.

SM58s are ok for guide vocal or live work, wouldn't use one seriously for recording.

The ATM250DE is great on snare too with the right positioning, but to be honest I mostly mid-side my snare so usually end up with a P170 paired with something like a Titan.

@OP:

Listen to this person I'm replying to, I can confirm they know what they're talking about...
>>
>>734851038
OP here

Interesting, thanks for sharing! I believe I have used the beyer m201 before though.
>>
>>734851624
do you know how many legendary albums were recorded using nothing but 58's?? all this 58 hate is ridiculous. No, they aren't incredible mic's but for the price, the result is amazing.
>>
>>734851433

Check this:

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/studio-sos-guide-monitoring-acoustic-treatment

SOS is a great mag written by people who love the industry (I've met the editor and one of the old-school engineers a few times) and they know their stuff.
>>
>>734851624

Thanks, it's good to know that after doing this for 15 years, my knowledge is apparent, even on a festering hell hole like 4Chin.
>>
>>734851038
op here, do you have some sources regarding the business stuff? I'd like to look into that
>>
>>734851826

Lots, but for the same price we have stuff available that will do a far better job now. Old school ribbons and to a lesser extent large condensers are still worth the time to track down and buy, but SM58s down to live mics and "I don't have anything else to use on this instrument" unless the very specific sound you're after can best be replicated by one, which isn't often.
>>
>>734847278
My friend is also an audio "engineer." I laugh every time he calls himself that, and also when he claims to have attended university to become one.
>>
>>734851038
MJ Thriller - SM57
RHCP "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" - 57's
Bon Iver “For Emma, Forever Ago” - Fucking 57's

"SM58s aren't microphones"
>says the 4chan "Audio Engineer" with no credentials
>>
>>734852052
I hear that bullshit every time. Good luck with your day job while i'm pursuing my dreams
>>
>>734852084

57's and 58's aren't the same fucking microphone retard.
>>
>>734852166
no shit, I'm quoting another anon's previous post
>>
>>734852153
because you're not an engineer. you push buttons, you're an operator.
>>
Do you have any genral tips or go to's for getting a nice balanced detailed mix?
>>
>>734852331
https://www.landr.com/en
>>
What if I hypothetically had an amateur band that wants to record in a studio, what should I know to make work flow fine and dandy and not piss off the audio engineer

Should I do home studio instead
>>
>>734852084

"57/58 isn't a microphone" is a quote from Steve Albini. Who's the best audio engineer to ever have lived IMO.

I am well aware that they are just fine as far as mics go. But as said already, for the money, many better sounding and better constructed microphones are now available.

My main source of hate for this mic comes from the fact that so many engineers use them blindly on everything and just say it's the best mic ever without ever comparing to anything else.
>>
>>734849071
What school do you go to?
>>
>>734852084
Was just going to say this.

>Shitting on an industry standard mic
>nigga what
>>
>>734847278
>>hurry up and wait
https://youtu.be/gKWE6JXhK18
>>i am an engineer also, among other things
>>
>>734852388

Take advice from professionals. Don't think you know everything already.
>>
Fuck you cunt
>>
Alex?
>>
>>734852483

Calling any device "Industry Standard" and therefore thinking it means it's universally great.

Those tags are marketing like everything else. It's working isn't it anon?
>>
>>734847278
For a simple amateur guy who makes his own music mixes and stuff with no some instruments and a computer (reference: https://soundcloud.com/bruno-mosquera-rodriguez/in-the-flesh I made ths thing in cubase 8. all instruments recorded, except for the drum, cause it was a midi), what you recommend to improve my edition and my mixing?
>>
>>734852388
First of all, know what the band wants. You have to know how many songs they want to record and what they want it to sound like. Get as much information you can to the engineer and he will make the right preparations.

If you want a professional sounding recording, I'd recommend hiring a studio and someone who knows what they're doing. Although, doing it yourself can be nice aswell. Depends on what the band wants.

remember, the engineer only follows instructions from the band. If the band wants something to sound a certain way, the engineer will comply, regardless of his opinion
>>
>>734852166
Except they are you fucking moron.
Same mic different grill.
>>
>>734852468
SAE
>>
>>734847278
>>734852527
>>in your face
https://youtu.be/o0E5H5O-bd4
>>
>>734852388

Non-home studio time is expensive. Plan how you want to record and in what order. Drums usually get tracked first, either to a guide track or to people playing along with in the control room. If you want to play to a guide track make sure you have it with you. If you're doing a cover don't try playing to a video off YouTube. If your drummer can't play to a metronome tell them to learn, editing audio that has timing all over the place is extremely time-consuming unless you get a perfect take because it's difficult to comp different takes together in those circumstances. Make sure you know what song/songs you want to record and can play them well, you start looking up lyrics or chords while you're supposed to be recording and the engineer will probably assume you're amateurs and not put too much effort in.
>>
>>734852388
>know your parts
>know your parts
>know your goddamn parts

Have everything ready to go, and don't suddenly try major changes once you get in there. Have fresh strings. Also don't expect top tier work for dirt cheap prices
>>
>>734852649
Oh shit i live near you.

How much is it a year?

What gear do you have access to?

Are the teachers any good?

Also, have you heard of the PopAkademie?
>>
>>734852451

>My main source of hate for this mic comes from the fact that so many engineers use them blindly on everything and just say it's the best mic ever without ever comparing to anything else.

THIS. So much this.

"I'll just stick 57's on everything it'll sound fine."

"How many recordings have you done with 57s?"

"Not many but they're just the best general purpose mic innit?"

"So you've spent a lot of time researching mic placement to get the sound you want?"

"I just want to record the instruments as they are innit."

"Get out my studio."
>>
>>734852605
the mix isn't great. The drums don't cut through as much, the FX are really loud and the drums are taking up alot of frequencies. I'd say EQ the guitar (less lowend), turn the guitar down, EQ the drums and turn up the sub a little bit

Also, do some research on EQ'ing in general. It's really important and the sooner you get the hang of it, the better
>>
>>734852819

SAE is an international audio school, not sure this means you live near OP
>>
ITT:
>ask a audio engineer anything
>what does a audio engineer do?
>I'm not an audio engineer yet, so I cant answer your question

Fuck off OP, and come back when you have actual knowledge to share.
>>
>>734852598
Except it actually is universally used. Because they work well in a bunch of different situations, take a fucking beating and are cheap
>>
>>734852166
>aren't the same mic

Nigga wat
>>
>>734852896
It's based in North Miami Beach. Judging from the time of day OP is posting, I'd guess he goes to the one in miami
>>
>>734852900
>shitpost engineer
>>
>>734852636

Grill is part of the mic retard. It creates two different acoustic environments for the capsule to sit in, which is why the 57 has a better low frequency response and a slight peak at 5kHz compared to the 58. Which you know of course.
>>
>>734852905

I'm well aware how often they're used. But this doesn't mean they're the best mic for all of the things they're used to record.

They're ok mics, but they're hated because of things which aren't directly attributed to the mic. Namely, by fucking over a lot of engineers who think they shouldn't ever bother using anything else.

I've been to studios which had 24 57s and fuck all else. That's fucking moronic any way you look at it.

I wouldn't set up a studio that didn't own one or two, they're useful mics. But there is normally a better sounding alternative for most sources. And that's not a problem,
>>
>>734853030

There are also a few SAE campuses in London, all of which will be open and functioning right now also.
>>
>>734847278
>>734852527
>>734852676
>>so yeah
¿§?
https://youtu.be/EVL8Wdy3_x0
Welcome to Africka.
>>
>>734852819
10K a year

SSL console, a lot of workstations, electronic production studios, surround suites, an Audient desk,..

the teachers are good, for the most part. some guys think they know it all though and don't wanna be talked back to.

No, I haven't
>>
>>734853100
Ok that we can agree on. I haven't come across people who use them as be all end all. And yes, every studio, live sound situation should have some on hand.
>>
>>734853100

Dubs of truth.
>>
>>734853078
Yes all knowing anon. And one is clearly made for vocals and the other instrument recordings. But the grill is literately the only difference between the two
>>
just find the sweet spot you lame ass noobs
dummies don't know shit
>>
>>734853206
Without looking much into it it seems like a lot of the other for profit deploma mills that got shut down, alla iadt which changed to Sanford brown and then closed shop

Disclaimer: I went to iadt
>>
>>734853268

As previously stated, I've got a lot of professional experience. And I'm not the kind of guy to make judgements upon things, not based on anything other than my own experience.

Other things I'm not that mad about which other people can't stop shitting themselves about:

- Waves Plugins - Most are totally average or below average if you actually judge on what they SOUND like, rather than how they look and operate.

- Macs - Apple Piss me off.

- Protools - Again an industry standard/instituion, but not actually the best tool for the job a lot of the time.

- UAD Plugins - People again, just cream over this shit all the time. I want plugins to do DIGITAL THINGS, not a bad job of apeing analogue stuff. Thanks
>>
>>734853530
except sae has campuses all around the world and their diplomas are the most prestigious in the business
>>
you spend too much time staring at you belly button over thinking shit
>> who's a good dog?

y'all suck, minus the girl
and myself
Bunch of stupid idiots.

parachibu
>>
>>734853100

Put that in with the "I need twelve mics to record the drums properly" idiots.

Nigga please, I can get a great drum recording with a single condenser. Placement and room acoustics are everything.
>>
>>734853651
what are you talking about
>>
>>734847278
Yo Kenny, are you a studio cat or you come out on the road with us tour guys?
>>
>>734853671
OP here

wait, an entire drum kit with one mic?
which one would that be?
>>
>>734853206
Sounds pretty good. I'll look into it.

The PopAkademie is a credited college in Mannheim Germany that's dedicated to teaching music business, theory, etc. They have awesome programs, and one of my favorite artists went there. The best part is that it's in Germany, so it's free.
>>
>>734853671

Agreed. Also:

- When you start mixing you must listen to each track individually, add gates, compressors and EQs with each sound in isolation.

- Analogue Summing being better than Digital.
>>
>>734853586

Have you tried out the amp modelling in Guitar Rig? Some of them are insane, they have titles like "Boulevard of Idiots" or "Master of Sandman" and they sound EXACTLY like the albums... yet people keep asking me why I always have a guitar DI channel as well as micing the amp up. Flexibility baby, that's what a good splitter is for.
>>
>>734853828

Any, you will get a recording of a drum kit. On ANY mic.
>>
>>734853918
lol. you need different mics for bass drums and crashes as far as i'm concerned
>>
>>734847278
I'm doing my bands demo with a small mixer. What's the best way to get the best sound? We recorded together and now were goimg to do everything separate since were all self taught players.
>>
>>734853908

No, I've not tried Guitar Rig. I almost never use Amp Sims. Not because I don't like them, but I normally like the recorded sound of the amp I'm using more.

I actually have had the best results from using the stock Logic Amp Sim on Bass. Sounds great.
>>
>>734853828

Last time I did it was with a Behringer B1. Shitty large diaphragm condenser but put in exactly the right spot it captured everything, and with a bit of effort with a few duvets as well as the acoustic panelling in the room everything sounded as we wanted it.

>>734853884

The amount of times I've seen people do the sound in isolation thing, then wonder why their mix sounds shit when they unmute everything.
>>
File: 1496591086890.jpg (102KB, 646x646px) Image search: [Google]
1496591086890.jpg
102KB, 646x646px
>>734854059
>mfw I hear the word "Behringer"
>>
>>734853982

You don't. You only NEED what you want, there are no rules.

If the end result is supposed to sound like it was recorded on one mic, then use one fucking mic.
>>
>>734847278
>>734849732
this

why are there so many goddamn knobs?
>>
>>734853586
Can agree on most of this.
Got the giant waves bundle for free from a friend that works in a big name studio, was not that impressed and glad I didn't buy it.
I'm currently on apple/protools and I can't stand apples proprietary bullshit. But I'm not about to overhaul my entire setup just because of it
Also fuck probtools for going monthly or yearly for their new system. Fuck them right in their ass. Staying where I'm at and never upgrading until I absolutely have to
>>
File: ma_itunes_2011_camden_3_l.jpg (631KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ma_itunes_2011_camden_3_l.jpg
631KB, 2000x1500px
Hey guys, Sound engineer here. AMA
>>
>>734854034

Yeah I've used that one on bass. We don't have a lot of amp choice where I work so unless someone brings their own in if I want a different sound I go with Guitar Rig and mix things up a bit til I get what I'm after.

Or do the Royal Blood thing (most recent band I've seen do it anyway) and use a splitter to put the guitar through the normal AND bass amp. Heavy shit.
>>
>>734847278
How would you go about recording a bass: 15" and 4x10" with a sexy 70s valve amp running it?
>>
>>734853671
Yeah, you could get a good recording with a single condenser, but I'd say you need at least 3 for a great sound: One for the kick, one for the snare, and one for overhead to get the crashes and hats. This way, you still get the punch and can mix the hats and such in, without drowning the rest of the mix.
>>
>>734853629
Again that's why I said without looking into it. I'm also gunshy because of the shit I went through at the place I went to. Really wish I could have completed my program. They just installed a giant board and finished a beautiful studio when shit hit the fan
>>
>>734854288

Oh yeah that's my usual setup, I just like to prove to various people it can be done with one too.

>>734854144

Wasn't by choice, hence the word "shitty" but if it gets the sound desired...
>>
>>734854198
well, because every channel needs its own EQ-panning-filtering-etc

so thats 5 knobs for EQ's alone, times 36 channels = alot of buttons.
>>
>>734854210
>>>734853206
great b8 m8
>>
>>734854288

Oh yeah, and I'll add to the list people who think the only way to record the kick is to put the mic inside the shell. The conversation usually goes:

"Why not outside, or both?"

"Why would I put the mic outside?"

"Well, listen to that guy playing. Like the sound of the kick from here?"

"Yes."

"Well you're not listening to it with your head shoved in the kick shell are you?"

"Oh yeah..."
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.