[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone on /b/ read actual books anymore? I'm not talking

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 22

File: 1493258354818.jpg (146KB, 537x540px) Image search: [Google]
1493258354818.jpg
146KB, 537x540px
Does anyone on /b/ read actual books anymore? I'm not talking about shit you're forced to read for some class or a textbook but actual, physical books that you choose to read?

GIve us a title and synopsis so we can guess your age.
>>
>>731837038
The Circus Fire by O'Nan.
It's about this big fire that happened in the 1940s where a big top caught on fire and killed a whole bunch of people.
>>
>>731837431
Damn actually sounds pretty interesting I'll have to check it out, happened in the US?
>>
File: God_is_Not_Great,_first_edition.jpg (19KB, 220x329px) Image search: [Google]
God_is_Not_Great,_first_edition.jpg
19KB, 220x329px
Hitchens posited that organised religion is "violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children" and sectarian, and that accordingly it "ought to have a great deal on its conscience." He supports his position with a mixture of personal stories, documented historical anecdotes and critical analysis of religious texts. His commentary focuses mainly on the Abrahamic religions, although it also touches on other religions, such as Hinduism and Buddhism. The book received mixed reviews, but sold well.

Hitchens posited that organised religion is "violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children" and sectarian, and that accordingly it "ought to have a great deal on its conscience." He supports his position with a mixture of personal stories, documented historical anecdotes and critical analysis of religious texts. His commentary focuses mainly on the Abrahamic religions, although it also touches on other religions, such as Hinduism and Buddhism. The book received mixed reviews, but sold well.
>>
Green Eggs and Gubment Cheese
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 267x400px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 267x400px
The Knights of the Cross by Henryk Sienkiewicz

The Knights of the Cross tells the story of a young nobleman, Zbyszko of Bogdaniec, who together with his uncle Maćko of Bogdaniec returns from the war against the Order (Knights of the Cross) in nearby Lithuania. In a tavern inn Zbyszko falls in love with the lovely Danusia, who is traveling with the court of the Duchess Anna. He swears to her his knight's oath and promises to bring her "three trophies" from the Teutonic Knights.
>>
>>731837705
While I disagree that all religions are violent (at least i the 21st centure) this still sounds like one I'll look for next time I go to the bookstore too.

>>731837860
Not much of a romance fan but if it's mixed with enough historical background I'd probably dig it too. Thanks guys.
>>
>>731838204
Have fun, it's quite a big trilogy.
>>
Trafalgar: The Biography of a Battle - Roy Adkins
>>
>>731838346
I like a lot of philosophy even if I don't agree with some here and there I still enjoy seeing other perspectives and why they feel the way they do, already got it tucked away on my amazon wish list now.
>>
>>731838833
Yeah, the political conflicts are quite interesting to read and as you said, it's fascinating to read about different perspectives.
>>
>>731838674
History I can get behind for sure especially when the underdog wins. Thanks for that one
>>
The Expanse
Amos fucks dudes up.
>>
>>731839056
It's fun and weird at the same time because both sides historically always think they're correct (and a lot of times they both have valid reasons to feel that way) but it always ends up with massive amounts of damage and death before any resolution ever occurs. Humans are strange that way I guess. Definitely not as "civilized" as we like to think we are sometimes
>>
I have just readed books from games that I've played

like World of warcraft series
>>
Stephen kings The Talisman
>>
>>731839404
Tell me about it. Conflict is mostly between the government and most reasons is resource, land, religion, money. If only it was up to them and not the military to do so, it'd be much more civilized.
>>
>>731839171
Always down for some good sci-fi too. Anyone have any good suggestions for post-apocalyptic, dystopian, or cyber-punk stuff? Aside from the obvious like Huxley, Orwell, etc.?
>>
>>731837038
The Global Minotaur
by Yanis Varoufakis

About the new economical paradigm in the US after WWII and how it lead to the crashes that have happened before, giving special emphasis to 2008
>>
>>731837038
My favourite book is A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess :)
>>
>>731839694
happened after*
>>
Hunger, by Knut Hamsun.

It's about a hobo writer in late 19th Century Christania that wanders around, trying to write something worth some money to get by.

Loving every bit of it
>>
File: walt.jpg (20KB, 220x313px) Image search: [Google]
walt.jpg
20KB, 220x313px
Any of you guys ever read leaves of grass?
I've always really liked that book. Feel like the people of our government ought to give it a listen
>>
>>731839563
Talisman wasn't one of my favorite's but still good. When it comes to King, I prefer his short stories. Just finished Eveything's Eventual and Bizarre of Bad Dreams. I'd recommend them both if you don't want to commit to an entire novel and don't just want a "jump scare" but some character and plot development, etc. Usually only like $3-4 bucks when you can find them too but plenty of good short stories (30-ish pages)
>>
File: 1[1].jpg (37KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
1[1].jpg
37KB, 600x401px
>>731837038
Sure, started reading Kipling's unabridged short stories collection on Wednesday. It's pretty good, his depictions of colonial India are very vivid. Only thing is that some of the words he uses have gone out of use making it hard to follow without continually looking up archaic horseracing and colonial India terminology.

Read "The Man Who Would Be King" earlier, about two larger-than-life adventurers who go on an expedition to northern Afghanistan to carve out their own kingdom at the start of the 20th century. Kipling describes it as the last place in the world untouched by civilization, tucked away and barbaric. After seeing it in 2010 on deployment, it seems not much has changed
>>
File: 49215252.cached.jpg (165KB, 800x1208px) Image search: [Google]
49215252.cached.jpg
165KB, 800x1208px
The Terranauts by T.C. Boyle
>>
>>731837705
I guess your age is 16.
>>
>>731837038
At the Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft

Some niggers go exploring Antarctica and discover T E R R O R

starring kurt russell
>>
Naked lunch by William Burroughs.
Fahrenheit 451 and 1984.
>>
>>731839694
That's around the time we gave up on the gold-standard and started printing money en masse, right? Sounds good

>>731839783
I always see this on a ton of top ten lists but I haven't got around to reading it yet unfortunately

>>731839844
I like the sound of this one, also going on my list, thanks

>>731839915
Who's the author and do you mind giving a quick snapshot on what it's about please? I'd really appreciate it.

I feel like I've collected most of the classics at this point and I just find myself wandering the shelves of stores to find anything that might interest me and a lot of time in big-chain places it's all full of recipe books or self-help bullshit or Dr Phil or Oprahs newest bullshit
>>
>>731839672
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
We - Yevgeny Zamyatin
Anthem - Ayn Rand
>>
>>731837038
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
>inb4 hurry bioshock
>>
File: 252671315415.jpg (10KB, 324x278px) Image search: [Google]
252671315415.jpg
10KB, 324x278px
>>731839694
that looks very interesting. I'm getting the impression it's written by a man with deep insight on the topic, who finds himself uninhibited to speak the truth by the gravitas of his public career following the events of recent years
>>
>>731837038
I've read pdfs because I'm too poor and gay to buy actual books but lets do it.

I am Legend. Former military guy lives day by day in his house in a world where he is the only human left. Each night "vampires" come to his house, one of which being his neighbour. He gets curious about their condition, and begins to study and speculate instead of wallowing in self-pity day in and day out. He discovers that there are two varieties of the vampires, live and dead ones, with the virus acting differently for each. Later on, he encounters a woman. He takes her back to his house, shows her his research, and then pieces it together she's actually a vampire. She knocks him out, and later on comes back with other vampires who imprison him. In his final moments, he realizes that he is actually their Vampire. That he is, in fact, Legend.
>>
>>731840417
>naked lunch
saw the movie, I imagine it's even better as a book about the writing process
>>
>>731838204
If ever, you find yourself better served listening to an audiobook, such as while driving, it is available thus. Plus, you get to listen to the authors eloquent accent.
>>
>>731840411
HP Lovecraft also a pretty cool one in my book, just finished Neil Gaiman's "Lovecrafts Mosnters" and it was a fun read. Speaking of which, it might seem a bit childish but I really enjoyed Neverwhere and the Sandman series just because it was a bit more creative and new than most of the stuff I was reading at the time. Trying to get through American Gods before I check out the TV show coming up. I've seen my share of book-to-TV shit that was so terrible it totally turned me off of even reading the book after seeing the episodes

That and Hemingway's biography is up on my top 5 to read in the near future
>>
>>731840639
never heard of it, is it a Victorian vampire romp?
>>
>>731840510
Yeah, exactly.
>>731840558
He wrote it before his political career and if you are judging him based only on his role as finance minister in a doomed administration, you are probably wrong, give it a try.
>>
File: 4313413561368.jpg (15KB, 280x400px) Image search: [Google]
4313413561368.jpg
15KB, 280x400px
>>731840557
aaaand we've got our meme-tier pretentious answer
noticed you didn't have anything to say about it, that's all the same
>>
File: 128429._UY400_SS400_.jpg (34KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
128429._UY400_SS400_.jpg
34KB, 400x400px
>unholy consult - trash dark fantasy
>joe abercromie - more trash dark fantasy

Books I've been reading for a while but always end up on 4chan instead of finishing:

Against the Gods: The story of risk. Super fucking interesting history of risk analysis, insurance, probability. It has very little math - just some basic concepts, but I struggle with those. It is a super interesting read about how insurance was started for shipping industry ... well before that even. read it.

Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator - byu some douche bag who was the creative director for American Apparel.

He is annoying as fuck, and constantly sucking his own dick, but it is interesting to see how ( he claims ) to have gamed the blog system. He seems like a "Self help" author kind of bullshitter - but his understanding of how blogging / social media "news" and "journalism" works is insightful.
>>
History of Japan by R.H.P. Mason

and

No Mean City by A McArthur and H Kingsley-Long
>>
Yeah OP, I'm reading The Stand right now. Pretty freaky book
>>
>>731840639
I love Amazon for this reason, a ton of their books you can get in brand new condition for $2-4 depending on the title including shipping. My goal's to fill my 5th bookcase by the end of the summer/early fall in preparation for the winter, so I really do appreciate the suggestions.

Also already read and probably give I am Legend 7/10 just because I saw the movie before I read it and it took some of the suspense out of it for me.
>>
>>731840308
16? because? perhaps you could elaborate.
>>
>>731840951
>I really enjoyed Neverwhere and the Sandman series

That is because sandman was fucking brilliant. Neverwhere was ok, but I don't like his books for some reason.

I can't guess how old you are. Sandman / Neverwhere are definitely older - gonna guess you are mid 20s

>>731841324
great book. I'm guessing you are in highschool, but that was b/c I read that book in highschool
>>
>>731840978
alright I will, I read Capital by Piketty last year and found it fascinating (I always thought economics would be terribly try and uninteresting)
>>
>>731840529
>>731840557
>any rand

You better be under 30 is all I gotta say.
>>
>>731840510
It's by walt Whitman and it's arranged as a poem, quick synopsis: southern man's life, in no chronological order, arranged that way to show refinement of thinking. It's a transcendentalist piece so it's a lot about individualism and self improvement. It's a wonderful, wonderful read. I'm only 19 btw and it's my favorite book
>>
>>731839694
>>731839694
oh funny - for some reason I got Yanis and Milo confused in my head. was very confused.
>>
>>731837617
it's fiction
>>
>>731840963
If I remember right it was more of a zombie-esque venture. They had discovered the cure for cancer finally but the anti-virus mutated all the regular people into humanoid creatures who couldn't go out in sunlight so they stuck to buildings, sewers, etc. until nightfall. Kind of like 28 days later where they had a "rage-type" virus mutation from the cancer vaccination they all took and wanted to destroy everyone.
>>
File: ew.jpg (19KB, 250x191px) Image search: [Google]
ew.jpg
19KB, 250x191px
>>731837038
Most people read. The only people who don't are retards. The only people who don't know that other people still read either have no friends or hang out only with other retards.

Dan Simmons, Fall Of Hyperion
>>
>>731840963
Not really. You don't really get any insight on the cultures of the living vampires. The dead ones are basically zombies and thats the bulk of the ones mentioned during the story. Its basically all of a suspense/psychological story.
>>
>>731840308

I'm guessing 16 is the age you discovered atheism, and you've since gone full contrarian simply because you're annoyed that so many people jumped on the bandwagon long after you and nobody acknowledges that you were tipping your fedora before it was cool.
>>
>>731841708
sorry about that, I saw the movie and wanted to tease you for explaining it. I thought everyone was familiar with the movie
>>
>Water Margin

Chinese dudes running around getting drunk and fighting people.

One of the four classics in Chinese literature, so if you're into that kind of stuff it's pretty sweet.
>>
>>731841225
The American Apparel guy's the same one that got caught with all kinds of hookers and blow and ran the company in the ground with sexist shit in his ads or hiring or something, right? He's probably got a pretty funny/interesting/retarded biography if I'd have to guess.
>>
Laughter in the Dark
Man leaves his wife for a whore, he goes blind, whore laughs and fucks other guys in front of him
>>
>>731837038
Mountains of Madness. Lovecraft.

Mostly reading it for inspiration to write equally depressing shit soley for the purpose of bumming out a really obnoxiously chipper professor.
>>
File: n-DOV-CHARNEY-628x314.jpg (49KB, 628x314px) Image search: [Google]
n-DOV-CHARNEY-628x314.jpg
49KB, 628x314px
>>731841928
That is the CEO. This guy was like his art/marketing director. But yeah that charney guy is interesting as fuck. mostly just a shitbag, but yeah I'd read that book.

pic related - dov charney
>>
>>731841488
Spot on with the guess bud, 28 in July Sadman and Neverwhere just seemed pretty timeless to me for some reason I'll probably be giving them a once over again when I'm 35-40 if not before then.
>>
>>731840557
>Atlas Shrugged
>ib4 hurry bioshock

I'm guessing 19-23
>>
>>731841768
>>731841768
you just described like 85% of all teenagers, so....
>>
>>731841492
30?
>>
File: PQ3Cz88[1].png (2KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
PQ3Cz88[1].png
2KB, 320x288px
>>731841768
Told Status: TOldBLEROwNEd
>>
>>731841492
I always thought the same about economics, until very recently, that is. Haven't read anything from Piketty, I'm worried he may be too much of an ideologue to read anything from him, what would you say about that?

>>731841617

I switched them up in my mind for a second and it was indeed hilarious
>>
>>731842221
I agree they are timeless - but I'm older ( 40 ) so I'm not always sure what stuff ages well.

Like Dark Knight ( Frank Miller ) was edgy as fuck when I read it in 8th grade. Now having a "dark/tormented" superhero is cliche. Plus we were living with the constant spectre of nuclear war + reagan USSR etc. So not sure how that shit holds up.
>>
>>731837038
Yea, but it's mixed. Some are novels, some non fiction, and others are academic because I'm out of college but sometimes look up classes my old college or an ivy league is offering and find out the reading list to look into on my own.

Right now I'm reading a few different books when I get bored and have free time.

-A book on Metabolist architecture as it developed in post-war Japan based on interviews with the remaining living forerunners of the movement before modernism swept the globe

- War of the Worlds, because that wasn't required reading when I was in school but I feel like it's one of those books everyone should have read

- Just ordered the first English translation of a collection of dissident stories from a writer currently still employed by the North Korean state writer's association. I studied NK in college so I'm interested in things like this, first time something like this has leaked and been disseminated from a secret author still in the country.
>>
Reading this right now.
Some dudes go to an alien planet kill some dragons then kill some other bad dudes and save the world.
>>
>>731842369
>I switched them up in my mind for a second and it was indeed hilarious

Especially after reading this part:

"I'm getting the impression it's written by a man with deep insight on the topic, who finds himself uninhibited to speak the truth by the gravitas of his public career following the events of recent years"
>>
>>731842605
any good sex scenes?
>>
>>731841744
I have plenty of friends and I wouldn't consider myself a retard. I should've phrased my question better. What I meant is do people still read/collect physical books for a personal library because I see so many people with their face just jammed into electronics whether reading news or bullshit on their phone or thumbing through a kindle. Personally, and I know tastes vary, I love having a physical softcover/hardcover in my hand when I'm reading.
>>
>>731842673
Specially relevant now, yeah. Never been a Milo fan nor a fan of anything close to his political ideas but I think it was unmerited what happened to him in the end, let trolls be trolls.
>>
>>731841768
Ok, thanks for the reply. very bizarre, though. I've been contemplating life, gods and are existence for some 58 years now. atheism = 16, that's just odd. and religions continue to fuck up everything.
>>
>>731841488
Third year of university. Considered reading it in HS but didn't
>>
>>731842730
Only one. Some elf chick whose family just died fucks a human knight.
She gets knocked up. Stupid bitch.
>>
>>731837038
I'm a 22 year old bearded male, so I'm reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac

I had just finished "Kasher in the Rye: The True Tale of a White Boy from Oakland Who Became a Drug Addict, Criminal, Mental Patient, and Then Turned 16", by Moshe Kasher. Good read about a fucked up kid.
>>
>>731837617
July 6, 1944, Hartford, CT.
Killed 167, injured more than 700.
It's an interesting, if gruesome, read.
>>
>>731840951
Just started American Gods today, neverwhere was alright and I really liked Stardust
>>
>>731841963
Whoa, that original for sure kek

>>731842582
War of the Worlds will never go out of style

>>731842605
Well at least the cover is colorful and fun looking
>>
>>731842767
>What I meant is do people still read/collect physical books for a personal library because I see so many people with their face just jammed into electronics whether reading news or bullshit on their phone or thumbing through a kindle.

I do , but I'm an elderlyfag

>>731842911
You live by the troll, you die by the troll.

>>731842995
it was required reading in one of my highschool classes. It's such a good book, that many things in there have been ripped off and moved into popular culture. Sort of like seeing the godfather movie/.
>>
Just read "No, They Can't" by John Stossel.

Otherwise have a few magazines. "Reason" "Scientific American" and "Cato" report. Interesting stuff.

I love to read, don't have as much time to anymore
>>
>>731843092
I tried reading that book but I couldn't empathize at all with the protagonist (Which is also the narrator, and that made it even harder) What do you like the most about the book?

(Not OP, btw, I'm just interested)
>>
>>731841619
Five seconds with Google would have told you otherwise, you incredibly dimwitted fuck.
>>
>>731842355
29 nice guess

>>731842369
you're right, he's very ideologically driven, but his points are very well reasoned and smack of objective assessment. Seriously recommend Capital in the 21st Century, it explains a lot about why wages have stagnated in the US for over 50 years, why capital returns have outpaced economic growth, and takes a critical look at the rapid expansion of the financial sector (and how this type of economic growth doesn't translate into positive externalities for the rest of the economy).

It's very academic without being too thick to read leisurely, and it's not preachy
>>
>>731843332
Yeah, that's a good point about Milo. Not like I ever thought he was worth much, anyway.
>>
File: zen.jpg (25KB, 332x499px) Image search: [Google]
zen.jpg
25KB, 332x499px
started this shortly before his death the other week.
>>
File: 51K8GPHJW2L.jpg (54KB, 326x475px) Image search: [Google]
51K8GPHJW2L.jpg
54KB, 326x475px
>>731837038
Fat autistic neckbeard who wants to fuck his dead dog keeps fucking up and slowly having to deal with the real world while driving everyone around him insane.
>>
Reading Gravity's Rainbow right now, I have about 50 pages left. Very good, lots of fun.

Pretty disgusted by the amount of ya-tier genre trash ITT. Also Rand. Why every Rand?
>>
>>731843302
Stardust I haven't read because (again) I saw the movie first and it kinda ruined it for me I think but that and Anansi Boys is still on my to-do list sounds like a pretty cool, if weird, plot to it. Got a copy of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest and the Collected Works of O. Henry earlier in the week so I'm hoping they were good purchases.
>>
>>731843325
I like it of course, but I always thought, because of it's esteem, that it had more substance. I didn't think WotW would be such a straight forward diary narrative. Still good, though.

>>731842582
I forgot to put the names of the other two

architecture book - Project Japan

NK dissident Writer - The Accusation

Another suggestion for non fiction, Among the Thugs. American writer living in London around the 80's purposely gets involved in football/hooligan culture and participates in riots, meets neo nazis, etc. Interesting look into working class culture at the time.
>>
Anyone else read The Road? Now that's a depressing novel.

>The spit-roasted baby
>>
>>731837038
"The Telephone Concession" ("La concessione del telefono", by Andrea Camilleri)
It's about a man in Sicily in the late 19th century requesting a government concession for a private telephone line, and all the side stories unfolding around this simple event, ranging from erroneous political implications to marital cheating.
>>
Bring and Nothingness
Sartre
Self consciousness and freewill. It's interesting... not for his arguments as much as the parallels one can draw from oneself
>>
Heresy: a history of defending the truth (about heresy and orthodoxy in the early Christian church) by Alistair McGrath
>>
>>731837038
Probably a book every 2 weeks
>>
>>731843795
>Why every Rand?
its like standard 18-24 year old reading. everyone fucking reads it, 1/4 the people think it is fucking amazing brilliant and won't shut up about it, then they spend some time in the real world and forgot they ever read it. A few people cling to it through adulthood, where they mostly think they are libertarians but are actually just annoying faggots.

Unless you are Alan Greenspan. Did you know he fucked Ayn Rand? That dude is awesome.
>>
>>731843750
I've only read through about 1/3 of this but it was pretty funny I'll have to finish this one day.
>>
File: 36356357357211.jpg (21KB, 534x516px) Image search: [Google]
36356357357211.jpg
21KB, 534x516px
>>731843462
This guy
Have you ever read anything "non-fiction" that wasn't in your ideological conform zone?
>>
>>731843602
Sounds good, I'll add it to my list. I kinda want to say the same thing about Varoufakis on the substance of the book (Having an ideology but being valid in his points) and on the delivery (I'ts full of historical information but his discourse is engaging and often humorous)
>>
>>731844060
Yeah it's a shame they've never been able to make it into movie, seems every time they get close the funniest fat guy at the time dies.
>>
>>731843914
This is for you sir... hope you find it as funny as I did

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/retro-road-candy/1/
>>
>>731842331
I'm 58, and don't know that many teenagers. it's not a matter of being cool, to me. it's a matter of preservation. human's have much potential, religions destroy it.
>>
>>731844185
>>731844185
I hear ya - I was just responding to

>>731842331

>>731842369
>>731842369
you might find Alan Greenspan's book interesting.
>>
File: 5730278._UY200_.jpg (10KB, 140x200px) Image search: [Google]
5730278._UY200_.jpg
10KB, 140x200px
>read this beauty every once in a while.
>Back
Description
Product Description
This considerably expanded third edition of The Christmas Encyclopedia (2001) adds 281 new entries, bringing the total number of Christmas topics to more than 760. Continuing in the format of the previous editions, a wide variety of subjects are included: individual carols and songs; historical events at Christmastime; popular Christmas symbols; Christmas plants, place names, and stamps; and celebrations in countries around the world, including the origins of some of the most cherished traditions in the United States. Unique to this work is its emphasis on Christmas as depicted in the popular media, with entries covering literary works such as Call Me Mrs. Miracle and Silver Bells, classic television series such as Bonanza and Little House on the Prairie, motion pictures such as Arthur Christmas and Santa Clause 3, and television specials expressing holiday themes.
>>
I love scifi. It's a fantastic escape from reality!

My current favorite is the foundation series by Asimov.

Basically it's about a social engineer who predicted how humans would act when cut off from each other on a galactic scale for long periods of time. Elements of Jesus and humanity's triumph over entropy. Also a lot of conspiracy.

Give it a shot.
>>
>>731843479

On the Road, or Kasher in the Rye? And, to be clear, Kasher *NOT* Holden-Caufield-Catcher-in-the-Rye?
On the Road I like because I have the Original Scroll version, and the way he writes with no paragraph breaks or anything makes it a reliable book to pick up and put down at any time, and it's an interesting adventure. I'm not poring over it very seriously, but it's a little breathtaking and I'm in an adventurous mode of life right now.

Never read Catcher in the Rye

But Kasher in the Rye, I identify with Moshe Kasher, who talks about being worried about being a broken person, about being born angry, violent and maladjusted to society. As a well-put-together adult who's found his peace, it's kind of insane to see the level of debauchery that he got into as a kid who didn't know how to exist. I never lashed out as bad as he did, but I can identify with it a bit.

>>731843678
really wanna read this at some point
>>
>>731844080
I'll definitely download and read it once I finish Kipling, some of it reads pretty clunky and I'm afraid I won't pick it back up if I put it down (and I'd regret not finishing it later despite losing interest)
>>
>>731844037
Nahh, Rand just understood Capitalism way before all these bullshit regulations came into play which prevent creativity and ingenuity in the marketplace that would better our society.

You think you can start a business? Ha. Try starting any business you don't need a license for and 2000+ bullshit hours of schooling to do. Dampens all creative thought and kills new ideas in this country.
>>
>>731844064
You assume all of those are in my ideological comfort zone haha. They are all new thoughts to me that I am exploring, I never said I was a proponent of any of them.

I could ask you the same question lol.
>>
>>731844422
>the libertarian's here

How do you reconcile being so autistic and still willingly going to a website that is overtly mining data from your browsing habits?
>>
The King of Torts. Good look into the behind the scenes of American judicial system and why you see those "did you have a vaginal mesh 5 years ago? Call us and get money!" commercials all the time on TV. Such a sick racket mass tort is unbelievable.
>>
>>731844339
i drove up to lowell a few years back and saw the scroll in person when it was touring around the country.
>>
>>731844621
>not understanding basic economics.

That's ok friend, maybe Hillary can still save us all.
>>
>>731844422
I run my own business. You are wrong and sound like a FOX based news article. What Rand talks about isn't "capitalism", those books are just pieces to glamorize her philosophy (objectivist ethics). It survives contact with the real world about as well as marxist communism. Which is to say not at all.
>>
captain underpants becaus he is a hero who wear underpants and fight bad guys
>>
>>731844339
I'm so sorry that I didn't say what book I was talking about, I'm disastrous. I was talking about "On the Road", but I loved what you said about the other two books. I have to say I didn't know much about either of the other two before. Kasher in the Rye looks interesting, I'll have it in mind.
>>
>>731843795
Forgot to give synopsis.
Spoilers I guess.
>man in WW2 London
>has sex with all the ladies
>has map of where he bangs hot babes
>map lines up with German bombing on London
>lots of characters investigating man
>man realizes he is at the center of conspiracy
>VERY paranoid
>man flees across war torn Europe
>has wacky adventures
>gets into a hot air ballon vs. airplane lemon cream pie fight.
>dresses like superhero
>wears a pig suit
>plays harmonica
>has a bad time
>>
>>731837038
shantaram
dude escapes australian prison, runs to bombay and creates a new life. One of the best books ive read, it has everything adventure, love, mystery, war
>>
>>731837038
I usually read engineering journals these days. The last book I read was Count Zero by William Gibson. Synopsis: A /b/tard tries to hack the gibson and wins.
>>
>>731837038
I bought the first eight Harry potter books.
I'm on chapter 7 from the first book.
It's been a year and a half.
>>
>>731845025
>count zero

I loved that fucking book. it still amazes me how much gibson affected the world we live in today. He wrote that shit in like 1986? on a fucking typewriter.
>>
>>731845116
oh man, dumbledore dies
>>
>>731844752
(Not the guy you are replying to) Your talking points are so weak and scarce that you bring them up even when they are uncalled for. You even had to bring up Hillary, who is not exactly popular among people with half a brain functioning, as most of the people in this thread are. Also, you'd actually love Hillary, she's as close to a libertarian on economics as it gets, or haven't you read the leaks?
>>
>>731845116
voldemort is the dark arts teacher also he dies
>>
>>731845159
Yeah, dude's rad. I haven't read a single book from him so far that I thought was shitty.
>>
my favorite book to read befo bedtime
>>
>>731837038
>physical books that you choose to read?

I use Kindle. Free books, less autistic interaction at my local library.

>Dream Story by Arthur Schnitzler

A young woman discloses to her husband of her intimate desires to be with another man (a naval captain she saw some time ago during their vacation) and her confession plants doubt within her husband. As a result, he wanders the city of Vienna to forget his troubled marriage and finds himself in a series of awkward exchanges. He meets with a prostitute but leaves her out of guilt. He witnesses a store owner pimping out his daughter. The final blow to his objective morals is his attendance at an occult orgy, of which he is reprimanded and removed.

Frustrated and nervous about the fragility of their marriage, the husband returns the wife and in the end, they reason that they can still make it work.
>>
>>731837038
Yes work night shifts and read every night. Mostly military non fiction, history etc.

My favorite series and I highly recommend them to anybody looking to get into a new series are

Arthur W. Upfields "Bony" books. Basically austrailian Sherlock Holmes and better imo.

John D. Mcdonalds "Travis Mcgee" mysteries. I'm convinced the guy who made Burn Notice copied these. The books are better.
>>
>>731843678
A friend of mine studied philosophy and he liked the Phaedrus parts. I preferred the road trip parts.

I thought it got quite heavy towards the end. Glad I read it though.
>>
just finished the unbearable lightness of being, and started to read carrion comfort (yeah, I like up and down in books quality...)
>>
>>731845325
his first 3 are the best - after that I wasn't as much of a fan. But those early ones inspired a whole generation of engineers and artists.

have you read neal stephenson?
>snowcrash
>cryptonomicon

I really like post environmental apoc styff like

>heavy weather
>The windup girl
>>
>>731844422
What a buzzword-filled substance with zero meat on the bones. Let's break it down, could you please elaborate on the following:
>Rand just understood Capitalism
this qualifying statement can slide
>way before all these bullshit regulations came into play
what does this even mean? Should there be no safety / health / consumer protection / workplace rights standards? Do you have issue with some specific laws? Because making a blanket statement like this is idiotic and comical. Is it the notion of consumer/worker/environmental law itself that draws your ire? Please explain
>which prevent creativity and ingenuity in the marketplace that would better our society.
how do you even quantify this? I'd be amazed to find peer-reviewed research on measuring the impact of consumer/worker/environmental law on "creativity and ingenuity" conductive to the public good. However, it seems you've managed to pull an authoritative statement on the topic from your arse. Please don't spout meaningless generalities as facts
>>
>>731845774
aw cmon man, lay off. we all know her shit is indefensible. Don't force him to face that if he isn't ready to. It's a phase we all go through.
>>
>>731844562
I appreciate the candor, sorry for sperging on you. I feel pretty outnumbered on this board on certain subjective topics and I lash out because I'm a retard
>>
>>731837038
my current toilet book is Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. My day-to-day read currently is a book about the history, both ancient and modern, of the Iranian people.

Occasionally I will read a little bit of Che Guevara's "Guerilla Warfare" and Machiavelli's "The Prince".

I typically enjoy science fiction like Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein, Frank Herbert and Philip K. Dick.

Biographies are another great genre.
>>
>>731837705
It's a giant rant by a shit edgelord, 3rd grade elemetary vocab, 4th rate writer faggot flipflopper who blames god for his shitty life. nothing of depth here.
>>
>>731845941
>Machiavelli's "The Prince".
I heard somewhere that this book was written tongue in cheek at the time.

>>731845941
herbert is a god. I struggle with some of the old timey "hard science fiction" writers though for some reason.

Dick is amazing ( keeeeeek! ). I love how you can watch him go insane IRL while he was writing the Valis trilogy.
>>
>>731845189
>>731845309
Fuckers, I saw the movies. I just thought it'd be a smooth and easy read. I thought many nice things. What a fool.
>>
>>731845970
>nothing of depth here.
describes your post
>>
File: 4513513261234.jpg (15KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
4513513261234.jpg
15KB, 500x375px
>>731845874
it's hard to not be a douche on here
>>
>>731846157
also harry is a voldemort clone and becomes the legendary super wizard. expacto patrongum
>>
>>731846157
I thought it was pretty easy. those early ones are pretty much kids books. What is slowing you down?
>>
>>731846259
I know man, I know. Time heals all Ayn Rand fans.
>>
Yes.

And I read physical copies a lot of time because I don't like looking at b&w screens for hours on end.

Just finished up the "Gunslinger" series a while ago. Took me a few years to get through all the books.

Right now I'm reading "Behold a Pale Horse". about conspiracies. An interesting read.

And on my Kindle, I'm reading "the immortal life of Henrietta Lacks". About the progenitor of the HeLa cells, which you can thank for 95% of the major strides we've made in the medical field over the pay 50+ years. About Henrietta, her family, the scientists that worked with the cells.

You'll never guess my age.
>>
>>731846507
>pay
>past*
>>
>>731845625
I've read hundreds of books, I buy them used on Amazon for like a buck a piece when I'm bored at work. Others I recommend are

The Ravens/ Americas secret air war in Laos. Great book about the guys who flew FAC over there, reads better than any fictional adventure or action novel.

Echoes in the Darkness Joseph Wambaugh- True Crime

The Two Deaths of Senora Puccini- Stephen Dobyns- Highly recommend, tense, thriller type, one of my favorites.

Evergreen- Belva Plain. Reminds me of Jane Austen, long as hell and you'll probably read the entire thing in 2 days.

The Good House (ann leary?) about an alcoholic, good one night read.

I highly recommend all of these, and I've read many many books.
>>
>>731846507
12 year old precocious asshole
>>
>>731843795
>Why every Rand?
>Stop liking things I don't like.
I don't like Pynchon. Touche.
>>
>>731846779
I read the last sentence in a Donald Trump voice, and now whoever is reading this is too
>>
>>731839672
Never got into much sci-fi, beyond the big names anyway. But read a collection of stories by Harlan Ellison and really got into it. Dark stuff but a great read.
>>
>>731845774
>>731845874
Mention Rand and the sperglords come out of the woodwork.
>>
>>731845970
This, to describe, Christopher Hitchens, is a perfect example, of a poisoned mind. Your judgement is queer.
>>
File: 1490553821149.jpg (18KB, 575x481px) Image search: [Google]
1490553821149.jpg
18KB, 575x481px
>>731847390
let's a go m8 u wan sum fuk??
>>
>>731847498
Did you bring a book you want me to read to you?
>>
Siddartha
>>
>>731846822
>precocious
what a pedantic word.
>>
>>731837038
The alchemist, Paulo Coelho
The fifth mountain*, Coelho
Empty* Earth, can't share
Some more but worthless
>>
>>731839783
Antifa fascist sheep spotted.
>>
>>731848007
You never read it, did you?
>>
File: Lucifer_e07412_529499[1].png (142KB, 613x475px) Image search: [Google]
Lucifer_e07412_529499[1].png
142KB, 613x475px
>>731847618
can I sit on your lap?
>>
>>731848007
is he a fascist, or antifa?

and that's quite a leap to make with a story like A Clockwork Orange.
>>
>>731848267
Go back fascist.
I know about you, since 2004.
Tell us what's your favorite movie orange.
Thread posts: 164
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.