[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, /b/tards. I'm a very rational, logical, "intelligent"

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 26

File: 1473172465624.jpg (285KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1473172465624.jpg
285KB, 1280x853px
Okay, /b/tards. I'm a very rational, logical, "intelligent" human being or I'd like to think.
I have a question for you all that I could not find the answer to. My girlfriend is a philosophy major and we have very in depth conversations about everything. We came across something I've never really thought of but her being a philosophy major she asked me.
>"Do we exist?"
The basis of this is complicated but I came up with 2 different answers and none of them actually address the question.

>#1 We exist. If we exist and we are all aware of our consciousness and we live in a world with 7 billion people with our own thoughts, how do we prove this? How do we prove that the world isn't made up of my thoughts and imagination? Every person I interact with and see in the news or ANYTHING I am exposed to. How do I know it's not something I came up with and thought of on my own. If this is true, what am I? How do I come up with all these thoughts and imaginations? Who or what am I? Am I higher living being that is living in a dream controlling a life I want to live? This, I believe cannot be proven. Because it's hypothetical. Is there a way to prove that we are all individuals and we all have our own thoughts and "Earth" is real.

>#2 We don't exist. If we don't exist and everything we see and think of is within our brains. Who are we? How am I capable of making this reality that I PERSONALLY think is real. Is there a higher being controlling me?
>>
>>731554861
If you exist then you are a racist. Because you did not imagine yourself as a black man.
>>
File: 1473171689013.jpg (212KB, 1046x1290px) Image search: [Google]
1473171689013.jpg
212KB, 1046x1290px
>>731554861
btw pic related, she's kind of like the bitch in the picture.
Very fit, beautiful, but also intelligent.
>>
>>731554861

Read Descartes fgt
>>
it doesnt matter whether we exist or not
in quintillions of years everything that has ever existed will stop existing anyway
fuck off OP
>>
File: 1473175167467.jpg (144KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473175167467.jpg
144KB, 1080x1080px
>>731555000
>>731555000
Yes yes, hilarious, I've been lurking/posting RARELY on /b/ for about a decade now.
I'm looking for really educated smart opinions but you're always welcome to stay.
Trolls are what makes /b/ fun.
Keep it up, this one didn't make me laugh but clever trolls do.
>>
>>731555052
Ha this. Cogito ergo sum.
>>
File: 1472653933411.jpg (226KB, 896x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1472653933411.jpg
226KB, 896x1600px
>>731555149
Your answer is retarded dude.
Your answer implies that WE DO EXIST. That this universe exists and that in a quintillions of years everything will stop existing.
>If we don't exist quintillions of years isn't going to destroy my "imaginary" existence because we don't know where we come from.
>>
Bro that's philosophy 101, you're really telling me it took a philosophy major to make you consider that?
>>
>>731555319
my answer may be retarded
but at least im not debating philosophy on an anonymous imageboard expecting serious answers
>>
>>731554861
>intelligent
>never once considered baby's first existential quandry

Read any philosophical overview from ny philosopher. Even diogenes discussed it. Read up on stuff like solipsism, plato's theory of forms, anything from descartes. Any question you can think of has been discussed many times.
>>
>>731555396
Dude I DON'T have a fucking philosophy major. SHE DOES. Can you read or what? Are you retarded. I have no exposure to philosophy or any of this shit. She just asked me a simple question of "do we exist" and I have no idea wtf she was talking about.
I thought "yes we exist, retard" but she explained to me what this question really meant and it made me think.
I summed up a fucking semester of "TEACHING" this within an hour and she was really impressed. So I came to /b/ros, the general demographic to see what they think. I'm FAIRLY certain 99% of /b/ IS NOT a philosophy major idiot.
>>
>>731555577
DUDE, READ what I fucking wrote. I'm not a fuckinh philosophy major. I'm just an average /b/ro. I didn't and I'm not willing to spend time studying on some philosophy shit. I have other things to do with my life. I want a fucking snippet of what other /b/ros think about this. Not some retard that majored in philosophy and wasted 4 years of his life thinking "OMG WHAT IF BRO. OMG 420 THINK ABOUT IT DUDE."
>>
I exist, whether physically or only in my own imagination. It's you I'm not so sure about.
>>
>>731555681
I never claimed you were the philosophy major, I said it took one (as in her) to make you consider it.
Regardless, it's a rudimentary level question that 99% of /b/ has already considered.
And don't flatter yourself about summing up a whole semester of "teaching," philosophy is a shit course where all you have to do is discuss your opinion.
>>
We cant know fag, just go with the first basal assumption.

1) I assume that the universe exists.
>>
>>731555860
>I'm a very rational, logical, "intelligent" human being or I'd like to think.

Think again.
>>
>>731555860
Bro how old are you? You don't gotta be busy to think of a simple question like that
>>
>>731555577
This
>>731555681
Fuck off op
>>
>>731556029
No, I only imagined it.
>>
File: 1455744235262.png (762KB, 566x910px) Image search: [Google]
1455744235262.png
762KB, 566x910px
>>
>>731554861
Lol, that's like the first week of philosophy class.
Just wait until you get heidegger, you'll be fucked
>>
>>731555979
You sound butthurt tbh.

Yes, I work as a federal contractor, I don't fucking regularly think about "do we exist."

Also yes, it is a rudimentary question and I sat there thinking about it for an hour because I'm not familiar with these types of questions. I came up with the conclusions I stated above.

I just find it hilarious when you go into the philosophy major you spend fucking 6 months talking about such a rudimentary question I can answer within an hour. It personally makes me look down on people that go into philosophy. Are you retarded or what? Can't think for yourself? and you seem to be offended by such a simple question.

Exactly my point, it's simple. Yet people spend 4 years on retardation.
>>
>>731554861
We exist for as long as we live, then we metamorph but still exist.
Even fictional things exist in some respects.
>>
>>731556109
Yea, I'm retarded and this thread was made up in your mind.
How retarded are you now?
>>
I think, therefore I am, nigger

At the very least some level of consciousness exists to doubt my existence. That means I exist in some way.
>>
Watch the matrix
>>
>>731554861
Its the basis of philosophy, cogito ergo sum is older than Descartes
>>
>>731555681
Are you serious? I wrote what you're replying to, and im 18 and in high school. Everyone ive ever had a conversation with thats had any semblance of intelligence had considered if they exist by like, 5th grade. What does your girlfriend see in you holy shit
>>
>>731554861
Calm your ass Descartes, shit been asked not just now. read a book.
>>
have you seen mindgamers..? this is what i think we just keep living but from key ponts in our life ,,over and over
>>
We exist and mathematics is the proof. Through mathematics, you can witness events and then explain them with constants which you would never be able to imagine. No matter who's conciousness is converting events into equations, the mathematical constants will wind up being the same.
>>
>>731556376
Oh yeah dude, you're so fucking smart. Why don't you explain Free Will to me then, since you're such a sick dude with an awesome brain
>>
>>731556376
It isn't really answering the question that matters. It's understanding the thought process. One simple question can lead to a world of ideas. That's why most of the great classic philosophers were also scientists, inventors, and artists as well.
>>
You need to fuck her up the ass while you have an appropriately sized vibrating dildo up her cunt. As you're fucking her up the ass and the vibrating dildo is at work in her cunt, ask her in a whisper ARE YOU ALIVE?
>>
>>731556607
>18
>semblance of intelligence had considered if they exist by like, 5th grade.
You did not address ANY of my question.
Are you IMPLYING that we exist? then refer to the original post.

FUCKING PROVE that we exist. You're too young dude. Grow up some more. Save this thread and look at in when you get some college education retard.
>>
Listen man, I just came here to fuck around and browse dumb memes, not to question my existence and have a fucking existential crisis.
>>
>>731556720
Butthurt, and use fallacious argument,
>in b4 the tv show presentator bias
>>
>>731556376
Bruh you're killing me XDXD
I'm not even a philosophy major, that's why I said the course is a joke.
But it's all good, you're just an enlightened intellectual. My apologies, M'lord.
>>
>>731556376
Confirmed autist.
Your have the luxury of having empirical evidence that we exist. Philosophers have studied the phenomenon without science and Philosophy teaches you to form arguments well, so we study great thinkers in a context of thought instead of sociological history, applying ancient questions to current matters, like how do we know what we know? It's surely not from fake news, but from repeated study. What happens after death? Since sentience, we've pondered and been stumped.
>>
>>731556886
Do you know what solpsism is? Cogito ergo sum? The theory of forms? I did answer your question, you just don't understand it. Not my fault, mr im-in-college-but-ask-questions-like-a-middle-schooler
>>
>>731556720
This is the fucking most reasonable post this thread.

But to be honest, how are you so sure I wasn't able to create you to say this to say that mathematics is the reason we exist. WHO created mathematics? My brain? or other people?
We can't determine that without proof. How can you tell me my brain didn't create Einstein and math.
THERE IS NO PROOF.
>>
>>731556724
Free will is just as complex you fucking idiot. It's not something that can be solved or explained.
JUST LIKE THE QUESTION I ASKED. Retard.

I asked the initial "do we exist" question wondering if someone will be able to answer it since I'm not able to.

I personally can't but maybe someone can.
>>
>>731556607
His job makes loads O munni
>>
>>731554861
>very rational
>use the word rational while saying he never read anything about philosophy

Did yo know there was a philosophy for dummie audiobook ?
>>
>>731554861
mosquitoes
>>
>>731554861
Post nude pics of Thinky McThinker Pants, or get the fuck out
>>
>>731556807
Respect.
>>
New philosophical quandary: If OP makes a thread, and literally everybody that posts in the thread calls him retarded, is he retarded?
>>
>>731557102
It's solipsism
>>
>>731557224
We have free will within the confines of certain constant math values. I.e we don't have the free will to undo entropy.
>>
>>731556905
LOL MAD RESPECT BRO.
You do you man <3
>>
>>731557490
Ah, the classic "I can't think of anything smart to say back, so I'll point out a typo" strategy. Truly the thinking man's gambit.
>>
>>731554861
Fuck off you're a faggot
>>
Well.. Elon Musk said there's a 1% chance we are NOT part of some advanced alien civilizations virtual reality video game. He might be on to something
>>
>>731556964
Kappa. My love <3
>>
>>731554861
Stefan Molyneux has a video series "Introduction to Philosophy" and he gives good lectures. He kinda talks a lot, but he puts out plenty of good points.

>Do we exist?
Based on the biological evidence given to us, minus the lack of a decent definition of consciousness, yes, we exist, and others exist and there are consequences to our and other's actions.

You don't need a philosophical answer to a question such as "Do we exist?". The most simple answer is "Yes" because you are here, communicating with tons of other individuals, not a single one being perfect and we experience various things. When you sleep, other things have actions and appropriate reactions. Shit happens all around you all the time.

>We don't exist. If we don't exist and everything we see and think of is within our brains
If you think that one entity would create an infinitely complex world to satisfy the needs of ONE FUCKING BRAIN, your arrogance knows no boundaries.
>#1 We exist. If we exist and we are all aware of our consciousness and we live in a world with 7 billion people with our own thoughts, how do we prove this?
By your mere presence. By doing things and by refusing to do things.
>How do we prove that the world isn't made up of my thoughts and imagination?
By sensory observation. You see, feel, touch... Is this not proof enough?
>How do I know it's not something I came up with and thought of on my own.
Go to a foreign country and listen to a university lecture. You won't understand shit! You can't make that shit up.
>Who or what am I?
You're a biological organism that is one of the few lucky ones that has developed intelligence.
>Is there a way to prove that we are all individuals and we all have our own thoughts and "Earth" is real.
Earth is real, it's there. You tread on it. You think, you make actions, or you refuse to take actions, you react to others' actions.

This overthinking is the mere arrogance of loungers who contribute very little to society. Fuck philosophers
>>
>>731557606
That's a bold move cotton, let's see how it plays out.
>>
>>731557224
So you look down on people who educate themselves and try to understand humanity and reality? "Retardation", as you described it.
Well dude, we will always need people to clean shitters, so get out there and be somebody!
>>
>>731554861
there is no real answer to hard solipsism, because it's an unfalsifiable claim. so, basically, it's all mental masturbation.
>>
>>731557488
LOL maybe I am a retard
I'm OP afterall. I suck dick for a living anyways boys.
>>
>>731555396
And boom, you just proved how idiotic and stupid you can become.
You're an idiot with no gf. Just get off /b/ and do something meaningful before you kill yourself
>>
>>731557716
What the fuck is this, "we exist because I dont like philosophy" great reasoning. Sensory data does not prove the world isnt a figment of ones imagination, as it could easily be manufactured data. Honestly how could someone leave it at "i can feel a thing so i know its there"
>>
>>731557606
That's not me btw retard. Dude, you're retarded bro and underdeveloped. This is the last time I'm responding to you. Enjoy live /b/ro
>>
>>731554861
philosophy is the study of grammatically incorrect phrases and the study of our limited mental capabilities.

What is the purpose of a rock? Enjoy that blunt while it lasts.
>>
>>731557976
>sees a reasonable statement
>disagrees with it, calls it idiotic
>his one counterargument is "kill yourself"

Oh shit am I back in middle school?
>>
>>731558008
Imagination uses combinations of things already witnessed. This is why people need "inspiration" and why most things resemble others. Go travel, you'll see things you've never seen before.

How the fuck can someone be so arrogant and self-centered as to label themselves the center of the universe and say "It's all in my mind, my senses aren't proof enough" is just plain stupid and deliberately over complicated.
We use our senses for literally everything else to prove concepts and ideas, why not use them to prove existence? Fuck logic, right? Yeah, fuck you too.
>>
>>731558054
Your counterargument is literally just "i disagree". Here's a brief lesson on discussion: when you make a claim, give supporting evidence. Otherwise, no one will listen to you.
>>
>>731554861
>rational, logical

I bet you can't define either of those words. They sound great so you use them, but you have no idea what they really mean.
>>
>If OP isnt a faggot, then why he acts this gay?
>>
File: 1492350073363.png (37KB, 1127x685px) Image search: [Google]
1492350073363.png
37KB, 1127x685px
pic related is op
>>
OP , what is Philosophy for you ?
>>
>>731558360
>imaginations can only use things already witnessed

Prove that. Do you see why thats such a weak argument? Say some outside force is injecting your psyche with all the sense-data you have, and all of it is false. How could you know this isnt the case?
>>
>>731554861

Man fuck pot, makes everyone think they can be a philosopher

I put your second answer at that level of stupidity

course we exist, the 7 billion part is irrelevant in any way if your are talking in terms of your own individuality. Because unless you can create things that become fact or reality, you arent making shit OP. Because these answers are not creative, I assume you are not creative. Stop watching matrix and thinking thats some kind of actual interpretation of reality. Thats just an edgy kids wet dream.

>what am I?

a faggot.

You evolved from basest survival instincts, once base needs were met and you were comfortable, you had nothing better to do but question your existence. You arent higher anything, just delusions of grandeur assuming you are any more significant than any other space dust in the universe.unless you are a celestial giant that died and took a galaxy with you, when you die its so minor in insignificant the universe at large will neglect you as much as anyone else. Earth is real, your life is pointless, your gf will forever be philosophizong why she doesnt have a job,

have fun being delusional amd supporting your deadbeat gf
>>
>>731558360
Unicorns are horses with horns, flying lizards plus fire makes a dragon, aliens have huge brains and humanoid bodies, etc.
>>
>>731557716
Yeah well . . . except philosophy allow science
>>
>>731557803
I'm done with you. You need to grow up dude. You're not addressing the question at hand or the big picture. You're attacking me for the "small" insignificant things. Learn to look at what is being addressed and the big picture.
>>
yes, no; both

maybe you want to search for buddhism.
>>
>>731554861
This is probably bait, but I'll bite. The phenomenological approach to this is positivist: whatever we're experiencing is reality by definition, since there's nothing else to which it could usefully refer. The perception of time creates what is referred to as existence (see Husserl) by allowing for the concept of linearity and therefore meaning. In the Kantian sense, we must pre-assume existence in order to allow for the possibility of discussion and communication.
>>
>>731554861

Get out of your fucking cushy little life and out of your head. Everything is created in our brains. Your post makes me want to brutally rape your girlfriend in front of you. I want to see you wax philosophy about me making her cum like you never have. Torturing you until you scream and cry. After I jizz down her throat, I will beat your ass. Then maybe you will stop with the faggot over-analysis, and just live life. Ok?
>>
>>731558906
>accuses others of getting hung up on small things and being unable to see the big picture
>doesnt consider why people are criticizing him and never provides counterarguments

The world needs more people like you
>>
>>731558462
I love you bro
>>
>>731554861
The words of Kek are : "I shitpost, therefore I exist"
But what is the hiden meaning ?
Well, lets say everything you experience come from your senses, but your senses may cheat on you, so what can you trust ? Cut all your senses, what remain ? Shitpost, Shitpost is actually what makes you exist
>>
>>731559107
Oh shit, a knowledgable, beneficial post. Too bad this will probably be the only response to it, huh?
>>
File: 1493102124969.gif (315KB, 234x159px) Image search: [Google]
1493102124969.gif
315KB, 234x159px
>>731554861
Philosophy is horseshit. It's all a bunch of uneducated stoners arguing about things that have no answer (or an incredibly obvious answer, like yes, we obviously fucking exist). Half of philosophy is just making shit up.
>>
>>731559107
Time IS linear. The only people who think time isn't linear are potheads.
>>
>>731559541
My favorite thing about people who say this stuff is that they don't know the first thing about philosophy. Outgroup bias at work, kids
>>
>>731559541
I agree with you that philosophy is FUCKING BULLSHIT but there is no way to prove it.
But there is not EVIDENCE that we don't "exist" you know what I mean my dude?
>>
"Excuse me, but I majored in philosophy."

"That's great. Here's the mop."
>>
>>731559631
That has absolutely nothing to do with anything I mentioned. Please don't try to pretend to understand something you don't. Not understanding phenomenology is something you have in common with 99.999% of the population of Planet Earth. You don't need to set up a straw man argument just to dip your oar in the water.
>>
>>731559770
I know more than the average Joe. Just because you know more about imaginary arguments doesn't mean it deserves my respect.
>>
>>731555009
>my girlfriend is this girl with a saved /b/ picture filename

right

there's no reason to ponder questions that cannot be answered. it's faggot shit.
>>
>>731559889
You're right. I don't understand it because it's all made up. Toss however many word salads you want, it doesn't change reality.
>>
>>731554861
Underage fag detected
>>
>>731554861
And what's the alternative? To satisfy the condition of "exist" we merely need be. Since I'm clearly stopping this right now, I exist. Now, dinner might say that our universe is actually an illusion, therefore we don't exist. But, even if it is an illusion, that illusion exists, and we clearly exist within it. Then the question moves to the nature of our existence rather than a question as to whether we exist at all.
>>
>>731559525
Hope springs eternal.
>>
>>731559631
That's not true. We don't yet have proof of this. We only know that our perception of time is linear. Causality is based on our perception of the arrow of time, but we don't know yet if that is the inherint nature of time.
>>
>>731555860
so you view your girlfriend like that too?
>>
>>731560032
Outgroup bias at work, kids. "I don't understand what other people think, so I don't like them or what they say!"
>>
File: DunningKruger.jpg (57KB, 461x513px) Image search: [Google]
DunningKruger.jpg
57KB, 461x513px
>>731560198
Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it nonsense. The problem is that you haven't read enough of the basics to even understand the words being used. For instance, you need to have read (and understood) the CoPR to understand why certain axioms must necessarily be assumed. Without that, understanding Heidegger and Husserl is virtually impossible.

What you're exhibiting is classic Dunning-Kruger effect. Your lack of knowledge about the subject renders you unable to see your lack of knowledge about the subject, and to therefore be oblivious to genuine expertise. It doesn't mean you're stupid, just that you lack the expertise necessary to recognize your own lack of expertise.
>>
>>731560306
I jinxed it, sorry man. Honestly though you're probably my favorite person in this thread rn so dont accept the guff
>>
2 but the answers you ask in response assume too much. Whatever controls us controls all life, but intelligence and development of self pull us from this.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1493733349169.jpg (10KB, 294x315px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1493733349169.jpg
10KB, 294x315px
>>731554861
Well aren't you just fedorable and euphoric tonight?
That and op is a fag.
>>
>>731560618

My perception of my dick is that it is about 6".
It might be bigger, or smaller, but science just can't prove something outside of current perception. So it is what it fucking is right now.
>>
>>731554861
We exist because suggesting we don't is irrelevant. Nothing about that statement has anything to do with any for of enlightenment. It's garbage pseudoscience at best.
>>
>>731560618
Better let radioactive decay know, then.
>>
At some point, philosophy makes people stupid. You exist because you're reading this and thinking just about anything.

Do you wish to know something? OK, how can nothing WANT something? It can't because nothing is the total absence of fulfillment. You are fulfilled at least with the desire to ask and before that you felt something. And before you thought, you were receiving input.

How can water be placed into a bowl that doesn't exist? You exist.
>>
>>731560765
I have the ability to understand. But I refuse to indulge your pseudoscience bullshit.
>>
>>731561157
No it makes you define existence faggot
>>
>>731554861
>My girlfriend is a philosophy major
Haha i hope you like paying bills faggot
>>
>>731554861
Well we quite simply put, if this was all in my head I would be able to control it much better. So i have a pretty good reason to believe that everyone is individual actors.

And for the exist part...

We could just be in a simulation
>>
>>731554861
Yes we exist.

This thought is something that can be made complex but its simple. Dwelling on it is mental masturbation.

Im sure your girlfriend is very intelligent. But this thought is pseudointellectual and meant to make you think and fall down a rabbit hole. Undone by the other philosophy "I think therefore I am"

A more interesting question is does anyone or anything else exist except you? Logic would say extremely likely.. But you cannot prove that one. Ever.

Your brain or consciousness or whatever it is can just be feeding you false information constantly while you float in a nothingness void. And you'd never know.
>>
>>731561288
You clearly don't. For example, your use of "pseudoscience" shows your ignorance of the basis and definition and even purpose of science. In the Aristotlian model, there are three ways of obtaining knowledge: empiricism, rationalism, and revelation. The application of pure empiricism is science, the application of pure rationalism is philosophy, and the application of pure revelation is mysticism. Since truth is a metaphysical quality by definition, science can never have anything to say about truth: only philosophy and mysticism can speak to it.

Clearly then, I'm not attempting to use science to describe anything. I'm using rationalism to reason certain things without deferring to empirical observation. Since the OP was talking about the nature of existence, epistemology falls squarely within the realm of rationalism (or revelation).
>>
>>731561765
Right. No one can prove there are others, not even on the other side as it were, I think, and I have been there.

Life is faith even if it's misguided, blind, or perfect.
>>
>>731554861
This question, while thoughtful on the surface, is pretty simple. If we are talking about wether or not we exist independent of our own understanding/realization of our "existence", then yes, we exist.

The simple argument is that things exist outside of our individual conciousness and exist independent of our awareness of them. When we become aware of one of these things their properties and nature were not determined by our active input. You also cannot conciously control or create anything spontaneously.

Secondly being that the universe we live in is bound by laws of physics, the behaviour and structure of objects can be predicted and exhibit consistent behaviour independent of your understanding of these laws.

Thirdly any attempt to argue an underlying level of conciousness determining the above mentioned and separating itself from our higher level of conciousness is non-sensical. We would still exist inside a world independent of our own activr conciousness. It is a meaningless statement.
>>
>>731555052
Came here to say this. Philosophy graduate, here. This is pretty basic shit. Descartes made an extremely convincing argument that "I exist" is literally the ONE thing you absolutely cannot question or doubt because you are thinking right now, YOU are thinking "do I exist?", but the very fact that you're thinking proves your existence because if you didn't exist you couldn't be thinking right now.

Whether anything else exists (the physical world, other people, etc) is much more difficult to prove. Descartes thought he did, but many people believe he did a kind of shitty job.

Anyway, if philosophy interests you I suggest you read his Meditations on First Philosophy, it's really essential for beginners.
>>
>>731556372
truth
>>
>>731562076
I never read him and I've known that all my life. Philosophers are overrated? Or is it that so many people are so incredibly dim? Honest question.
>>
>>731560853
Well, to be honest, I recognize that I'm sowing seeds on some pretty stony earth. The odds of a seed taking root is pretty low -- but not zero. So if I have some time to kill I'll contribute some expertise in the hope that it might fall into a crack and sprout, but fully aware that I'm spending time instead of money on what amounts to a lottery ticket.
>>
>>731561050
Yea but considering the things we understand right now about time, it's not outlandish to assume our preception of time could reasonably be very different than it's actual nature. Not getting philosophical, just making a statement about the physical world.
>>
>>731554861
An friend of mine told me one time one of the important points to fundamental questions like this is that the question Validates itself.

An absolute truth?? No such damn thing exists, relativity is the only reality. But if you can question your own existence, it means you exist because of the question.

There will be a time we don't anymore. But it ain't now... not that that matters.
>>
>>731562458
Id even say our perception of time is definitely not what it is...
>>
File: wizard.jpg (91KB, 600x668px) Image search: [Google]
wizard.jpg
91KB, 600x668px
>>731554861
You're both idiots. Having a conversation such as this does not make you intelligent, it makes you the opposite.

> How do we prove that the world isn't made up of my thoughts and imagination?

There aren't dragons flying around everywhere, and little boys aren't ninjas.

>Who or what am I?

You're a human being. Who you are is up to you, which is in turn affected by your life experiences.

>Am I higher living being that is living in a dream controlling a life I want to live?

Explain homeless people. Do they really want to sleep outside in sub-zero temperatures? I think not

>If we exist and we are all aware of our consciousness and we live in a world with 7 billion people with our own thoughts, how do we prove this?

It's called a census, retard.

>We don't exist

Then how am I typing and masturbating to furry porn?

>If we don't exist and everything we see and think of is within our brains. Who are we?

Collections of cells and experiences, some shared, others not. Our identities are shaped by these experiences and cells/genes (i.e. trannies as opposed to normal people).

>How am I capable of making this reality that I PERSONALLY think is real.

You didn't make this reality you self-important cunt, it just IS.

> Is there a higher being controlling me?

A higher being wouldn't be this stupid.
>>
>>731562277
>so many people are so incredibly dim
This is correct.

But the thing about philosophy is that it takes shit that many of us HAVE thought about before, but it analyzes it in an extremely in-depth and logical way, really dissecting every aspect and implication of it. That's why in philosophy you can end up finding out that something you always took for granted as a certainty is in reality not quite so certain.
>>
File: 1415173417965.jpg (14KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
1415173417965.jpg
14KB, 250x238px
>>731554861
>#2 We don't exist. If we don't exist and everything we see and think of is within our brains. Who are we? How am I capable of making this reality that I PERSONALLY think is real. Is there a higher being controlling me?
are you fucking dense m8?

stick to fucking your gf and leave the thinking to people with brains
>>
>>731558617
>>>731558360
>>imaginations can only use things already witnessed
>Prove that.
I have, to myself on several occasions. Imagination isn't something which can be exported as a raw format, although >>731558732 gives a decent example.

>Do you see why thats such a weak argument?
On the contrary.
>Say some outside force is injecting your psyche with all the sense-data you have, and all of it is false. How could you know this isnt the case?
Because of the lack of evidence for such a force.

Humanity has gone a long way into discovering all that is going on around us but we cannot actually sense. We have measuring devices for many natural phenomena and so far it hasn't been proven that human individuals are being controlled. Brainwashing works differently and is a topic for another thread. So, due to the lack of any evidence, you merely have an idea, inspired by some movie, or a book, but I doubt it's the latter, and you have nothing to show for it. Based on that, I will continue to believe in my concepts until I am actually proven wrong.
>>
>>731562076
Except: cogito cogito ergo cogito sum. Goedel's Incompleteness Theorems prove that no system can be used to prove itself in any useful way, so applying epistemology to epistemology is true in a tautological sense, but meaningless. You just create an infinite regress as you have to keep stepping back to prove your previous thesis.

This is a large part of the reason why post-modernism tries to make an end-run around the whole concept of knowledge, using linguistics or even mysticism to avoid the roadblocks imposed by rationalism.
>>
>>731562578
Aye.
>>
File: thumbs-up.jpg (82KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs-up.jpg
82KB, 630x420px
>>731562564
/thread
>>
all of the ten billion people on the planet,fall at 32 ft x sec x sec,experience light arriving here continually,rods and cones that discern light color,dark
inertia,gravity,births deaths IE nothing lasts forever, all this commonality of experience is existence enough
>>
>>731554861
how about you read some basic fucking philosophy faggot. this is 101 shit.
>>
>>731558617
>Say some outside force is injecting your psyche with all the sense-data you have, and all of it is false. How could you know this isn't the case?
Do you actually fucking read yourself? You realize how retarded the shit you wrote sounds?
>>
>>731555860
>Not some retard that majored in philosophy and wasted 4 years of his life thinking
are you calling your GF a retard?

Sure you want what /b/ro thinks?

1) We exist
2) Free will is an illusion
>>
>>731562984
Is it back to around 10 bil'? Last I checked it "changed" and we were at 6.9 bil' and some days 7.4 bil'.
>>
>>731558617
>being this retarded

Kill yourself you cancerous pseudo-intellectual.
>>
>>731558617
>imagine a color you've never seen before
>>
File: 0.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>731554861
That question, to any philosopher, is a sophomoric embarrassment. Read the pre- Socratics, the Classic Greeks and Latina, the Medievals and then Sartre and Berkeley, after whom no one even bothered with such silliness. It's a question that sounds erudite to dilettantes. It's not erudite. It's stupid.
>>
>>731563270
That's an oldie, but goodie. :) Or imagine a new smell without imagining any previous existing smell mixed in any way.
>>
>>731562752
>cogito cogito ergo cogito sum
This is retarded. "I think I think, therefore I think I am"? "I think I think" is meaningless, if you think that you think, you are thinking.

>applying epistemology to epistemology is true in a tautological sense, but meaningless

What are you saying? Are you implying that we cannot know that we are thinking? Thinking "I am thinking" is the same as saying "I am speaking", the very act itself makes the sentiment true. You cannot question whether or not you are thinking, because the questioning itself IS THINKING. Just as Descartes said. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your point.
>>
It's not provable. Basically, you're fucked until you die or we somehow discover a way to exit the universe and look at it from afar. What I do know is that you can effectively turn off someone's conscious experience by stimulating a certain part of their brain, so perhaps if someone did this to you you'd find some answers. (If you really did stop experiencing things, then chances are you aren't a 'higher' being which means it's far more likely everyone else is conscious as well)
>>
>>731560179
he said "kind of" like the girl in pic
>>
>>731562564
>>731562850
>samefagging this hard
>>
>>731563488
yeah I 420'd my way through a philosophy degree a few decades ago.

not sure I remember anything except I liked Hume.
>>
>>731555000
double trips checked and witnessed

Anon speaks the truth - OP should imagine himself as a nigger
>>
>>731563693
probability is fucked and bullshit, I just can't prove it yet.
>>
>>731562564
>>731562850
>>731563595

>samefagging this hard
>>
OP is clearly a faggot.

A better question is, does choice exist?
>>
>>731563693
You imply that there's a lottery involved when you're born. It was impossible for you to be born in the past, because your parents didn't exist. It's not like if your parents never met your consciousness would still somehow exist in another timeline. The reason why you're in this specific time period is because your body exists, and a consciousness/biological machine is required to fill it.
>>
>>731563913
fuck that causality doesn't even exist.
>>
File: hUYNeMz4X_0.jpg (404KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
hUYNeMz4X_0.jpg
404KB, 1280x850px
>>731554861
>philosophy major
Lost!
>>
>>731563913
An interesting question. One can choose meaningless choices, but most choices are influenced by peers or by other influences. There is a big industry on influence, called marketing.
>>
>>731563645
Heh. I think pot, so long as it's good, can slow our thoughts down enough so that we may naturally become our own philosophers. And I think for me the biggest eye-opener is the realization that not a whole lot matters, in a funny, it's ok sense.

Like, there are times I beat myself up over the past,(in fact quite a bit), but I know no matter what I'm going to lose everything anyway in the end, so why so glum? *puff*
>>
>>731554861
>ITT a bunch of try hards
>>
>>731564180
I think his actual question is, when we make a choice are we really choosing or is it all based on an underlying physical attribute or randomness.
>>
>>731564189
>Nothing is relevant, nothing is important, so why should I work hard when in the end I will die?
I doubt you and I could be friends in real life.
>>
>>731564347
An even better question. I haven't thought about this, so I have no idea. Any recommendations on what I could read on the matter?
>>
>>731562564
>>731562850
>>731563595
>>731563827
>samefagging this hard
>>
>>731564438
Literally any philosophy book about free will
>>
>>731564438
It's an ongoing question. Until we are able to determine the nature of the unverse on a small enough scale and understand how that affects reality (and in turn biological proccess in our brain) we won't know for sure.
>>
>>731564180
>>731564347
Yes. Are we, in our limited capacity/blind to see the underlying equations that surround our lives and live within us, capable of a concious choice, or are we just iterating the equations that we are a part of in a entirely predictable way based on the circumstances that lead up to that moment of "choice"?
>>
File: 1493872625328.png (2MB, 1957x1471px) Image search: [Google]
1493872625328.png
2MB, 1957x1471px
>>731554861
You exist to eat shit logs out of Andy Sixx's ass
>>
>>731564649
well you have somewhat shortcut to the evolution of the question which is, if a singularity existed, a something that knows everything, and project through time to the past and the future, understanding the underlying equations of all that is visible on the horizon - could that singularity alter the equation because it can "see it"? or would even it just be part of the machine that is the universe it exists in?
>>
>>731564348
That isn't what I said, sir. Maybe you're right. ;)

So what I meant was: No matter what pain I'm in because I lack something I need or want badly, regardless of whether that is solely my fault or anyone's else's, it doesn't matter. In the end it's all about how other will remember you and what energy and direction you brought into the world.

It doesn't matter if I lack a shiny object because it can't love me and give me companionship. It's basic stuff, I know, yet it true.
>>
File: 1493055583468.jpg (129KB, 1597x1202px) Image search: [Google]
1493055583468.jpg
129KB, 1597x1202px
Look
If you had one log or one opportunity to seize every log you ever wanted, in one moment, would you capture it? Or just let it flush?

His butt is sweaty
Knees weak, logs are heavy
There's feces on his sweater already
Like confetti
He's anxious, but face is painted to look calm and ready
To drop logs, but he keeps on forgetting
How to pinch down, intestines groan so loud
He opens his ass but the logs won't come out
He's farting, woah, everyone's departing yo
Shit out of luck, Andy Sixx, end the show

Snap back to the lavatory, oh he only had to pee
Oh there goes Andy, he choked
He's clogged up but he won't give up that easy, no
He won't have it, he knows he'll put logs in their throats
He's checked with endoscope, his warm creamy log grows
He's so stuffed that he knows when he goes back to his own commode, that's when it's
Back to the logs again yo, this whole Andy meme
You better go capture his logs and hope he don't flush'em
You better log yourself from his anus, you taste it
You ate it, you never let it go to waste, hey
You only get one log, appreciate every bite
Andy Sixx might feed you once in a lifetime, you better
>>
>>731564347
we choose to make the choice thats y we made it not cuz its random...if it was random then how can we choose somthing we would all just be walkinf around like mind less drones
>>
>>731563991
You're wrong on the second point.
>>
>>731554861
May I point out that by this logic, you're hypothetically asking your imaginations conjurings, or asking yourself, if you exist
>>
>>731565211
You're not understanding what I said. I'm talking about the proccess of decision making. I'm not saying we don't make choices. I'm saying we don't yet know if the underlying physics of existence make our choices predetermined through probability mechanisms or some other microscopic nature of reality.
>>
>>731565495
Yes we do
>>
do any of u exist or is this all just a dream that i cant wake up form like im in a coma and my family r trying to wake me up and u guys are my family and this thread is me trying to wake me up but how can i still feel pain, smell and tast food???? do we even live on what we call earth or is that all a lie like that south park where we r on a tv show and the alians put us here or r we in the mother fucking matrix?!?!?!?!? fuck man in need to get high and jack it to trannies but is that really a choice that im making or some one else
>>
>>731554861
your existence is literally the only assumption you can make with 100% certainty you fucking useless autist
>>
>>731565598
No you don't
>>
>>731565598
Then fill me in because I wasn't aware that we suddenly jumped to the future and now have a better understanding of the quantum world and it's effects on biological procceses.
>>
>>731565495
u dum nigga
>>
>>731565749
Lol explain. It's a legitimate topic of discussion in science.
>>
>>731565495
you as a person makes it u can blame ur choces on what ever u want but when it comes down to it its u who is making it ur mother fucking brain is nigga and that chip that the nsa put in it
>>
>>731565844
how???
>>
>>731564921
Oh, well I must say I agree with that statement, sir!
>>
File: 1450353740719.jpg (75KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1450353740719.jpg
75KB, 640x960px
>>
It's times like there where I love /b/. There will always be shitposting, but there are also some great discussions.
>>
File: 1480754830776.jpg (86KB, 467x750px) Image search: [Google]
1480754830776.jpg
86KB, 467x750px
>>
>>731555000
>If you exist then you are a racist. Because you did not imagine yourself as a black man.

I imagine myself as a small white woman being violently penetrated by a pack of black men, does that count?
>>
File: tumblr_nqibz0XTEp1uui2gio1_500.jpg (83KB, 450x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqibz0XTEp1uui2gio1_500.jpg
83KB, 450x750px
>>
>>731565940
Can't tell if troll or stupid.

>I make a choice
>biological proccess of choice involves nueral paths firing based on connections strengthened by past experiences
>nueral paths fire via synaptic transmissions
>boils down to electrical impulses
>electrons
>long as list of shit about elementary particles, wave functions, probability, and quantam physics
>?

Where did my choice start?
>>
File: tumblr_nojna91FV01uv2u2go1_500.jpg (67KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nojna91FV01uv2u2go1_500.jpg
67KB, 500x375px
>>
Is it just me or does this shit seem ridiculously simple to answer. We do exist because if we didn't there would be absence of something and there we couldn't contemplate existence
>>
File: tumblr_lmv5irSHEt1qkcsvio1_500.jpg (59KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lmv5irSHEt1qkcsvio1_500.jpg
59KB, 500x350px
>>
File: 1456501632736.gif (952KB, 385x225px) Image search: [Google]
1456501632736.gif
952KB, 385x225px
>>
File: tumblr_ngj9l0ymM31txij4ro1_500.jpg (90KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngj9l0ymM31txij4ro1_500.jpg
90KB, 500x666px
>>
>>731566931
Sauce??
>>
>>731558832
Not if you read the works of David Armstrong, where he distinguishes between the authority of science and the mind/behavourism
>>
>>731554861
Philosophy is interesting in the way that people question things without any real evidence of what they're saying is true. And that's not to say that this practice is useless in any way, it's actually helped human kind advance into a greater sense of knowledge and the adaptability of all of us having many different types of views on how things work or should work.

But conclusively, while philosophy addresses interesting subjects that we at the time are unable to understand, the question of our existence is impossible to have a correct answer to. All answers are effectively correct in their own way until we as a species can prove otherwise. Maybe we're still too primitive to find that out, but it just appears unattainable to me.

That's my 2 cents for you, OP. If you're still here.
>>
File: giphy.gif (494KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
494KB, 200x200px
OP's brain
>>
>>731567862
I like this interpretation. Even within Philosophy, a lot of premise is simply granted which is necessary for the continuation of the philosophy, like in Phaedo. We grant Socrates his Soul and his Theory of Forms without scrutiny, otherwise his entire philosophy would fall apart if someone could perhaps destroy the World of Forms.
>All answers are effectively correct in their own way until we as a species can prove otherwise
This is interesting in the sense that there can't be any incorrectness because we can't necessarily disprove something to someone when there is no tangible evidence to do so. The day a human can access another plane of existence to settle the Mind/Body problem is going to be revolutionary, there's a reason philosophy is such an old practise with lingering relevance in the modern world
>>
>>731554861
Your answer seems stupid and irrelevant. If you wanna talk about important stuff, discuss continental philosophy with her. The question "Do we exist?" is no problem. If you are not an analytical shithead who needs an objectiv proof (whatever objectiv exactly means in that context) you know out of your being that you exist. And more you know out of interacting with other things that they exist. Thats what existing means. Existing is first of all a subjectiv feature. Objectiv is a metholodical distance to the objects. Its fucked up that analytical philosophers don't see this point. If you look at your daily basis its obvious that there is no first of all objectivity. Just cause physics is an efficient way to describe phenomens, doesn't mean its more real than your own fundamental experience.
Thread posts: 195
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.