[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Musicians thread. >instrument/s you play >how long have

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 28

File: IMG-20170228-WA0007.jpg (252KB, 720x714px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170228-WA0007.jpg
252KB, 720x714px
Musicians thread.
>instrument/s you play
>how long have you dedicated to each instrument?
>teachers or self-taught?
>do you consider yourself a good musician?
>would you be able to play infront of people without panicking or getting stressed?

sorry if I've had any spelling mistake, english is not my main lenguage
>>
File: Collection.png (2MB, 1433x684px) Image search: [Google]
Collection.png
2MB, 1433x684px
>>731403937
Tons of instruments, since i was in 3rd grade I am 41 now. Pic is my collection of stings.
>>
Playing instruments is for queers.
>>
>>731403937
I play guitar, have done for around six years I think. Completely self taught, using youtube and the like
I think I'm fairly good, not amazing and no where near who I try to emulate
I've played live twice, good fun
You, OP?
>>
>>731404084
and still in 3rd grade right?
>>
>>731403937
I have a trumpet. I blow through it every once in a while. Teacher taught but I haven't played in 4ever so I've forgotten how to read the music sheets and stuff.
>>
>>731404245
Hater
>>
>>731403937
Musician is a strong word for me but whatever
>guitar only
>what 12 years
>self internet and books
>decent
>yes
>>
OP
>bass guitar, guitar, I'm able to play any string instrument easily and piano (I suck at percussion)
>bass guitar 6 years, guitar 5 and starting playing the piano around 1 year
>both, mostly self-taught
>yes, im not a master but i can play anything and learn a song in a short period of time (inb4 4 chord songs)
>yes
>>
>instrument/s you play
Guitar, piano
Guitar probably 10 years easily. Piano 5.
I "taught myself" guitar, miraculously without picking up any bad habits. went to college to study music after playing for 5 years. was taught a little bit there for 2 years.
I'd say so. It's more than just being technically competent though, you need to learn how to play with bands or varying styles and that. My song writing is poor though. If I was any good, I;d be making money off the shit i write, which I'm not.
>would you be able to play infront of people without panicking or getting stressed?
most definitely. the first few minutes of a gig are a bit shaky, but once I settle down, it's plain sailing... unless I fuck up a lead. Pub gigs are fine to fuck up though, most are too drunk to care.
>>
>>731404084
that must be the paradise seriously
>>
>>731403937
>instrument/s you play
Voice/singing
8 years
Teachers
Above average but not amazing
Improv - no
Rehearsed - yes
>>
Also, does anyone have experience building instruments?
I've not gotten on to building yet, but I've done a few refinishes and wiring projects on some old guitars I had lying around
>>
>>731404532
What you are looking at is 4 generations of handed down instruments along with some of my collection. This is only about half, I rotate thru them periodically.
>>
I have a story

>be me
>at some rich girls party
>kitchen crew tells me that there's a piano
>look around, find the piano
>play around a little bit
>start goofing with some simple polyrhythms
>"lol what is that" "is that even music" "haha can he even play"
>walk away in despair
>>
>>731403937
> Guitar, Trumpet, bit of piano

>Guitar:7 years Trumpet:No longer play but 4 years Piano: few months like 2-3

>Guitar : self taught/youtube Trumpet:School Piano:self taught, just watching synthesia stuff

>No. I can play flashy stuff with guitat and I can somewhat hold a melody but I'm no where near where I want to be. Took meyears to realize that running up and down a harmonic minor scale doesn't make you good at anything. Just now slowing it down and really getting into the grove of things.

>I played guitar in front of people a bunch but I panic and end up just doing a bunch of sweep picking because people think it's cool and it requires 0 effort after you've done nothing but sit with a metronome for hours every day for years.

I've stopped playing so much. My technique is a little rusty but I can come up with more interesting playing now. Really trying to internalize some guthrie govan type playing but I refuse to sit around practicing jazz scales. Just going to wing it by ear until cool stuff starts happening.
>>
Guitar intermediate/advanced
Percussion intermediate
Flute beginner
Piano/Synth beginner/intermediate
Didgeridoo beginner

Played guitar seriously for about 15 years, only now beginning to understand all the subtleties of musical creation, pretty mind blowing once you get to the improv level. Started buying and learning other instruments to broaden my horizons.

Self-taught and youtube

I'd rate myself as a 8/10

Done so a few times with an old band, would love to again some time.
>>
File: 1488564893683.gif (2MB, 422x422px) Image search: [Google]
1488564893683.gif
2MB, 422x422px
alto, baritone, and soprano saxophone in jazz and marching band in high school, trumpet and mellophone in drum corps, guitar, bass, and keyboard in various genres of rock, jazz fusion, and electronic jazz groups over the years. now i just make vaporwave because fuck it all.
>>
>>731404609
do you recomment anywhere online that will give a good guide to finishing a guitar? I fancy buying a body, neck, parts etc just for shits and want to know the basics at least.
>>
>>731404752
I wish i had half of the guitars that are there, Im saving for a good bass guitar looking for a 4string washburn t25 and a cart acoustic guitar, currently having a medium tier electro-acoustic guitar (crafter) and a (low-medium tier) electric guitar (caliber), not the best electric guitar but definetly for its price, sounds really good
>>
>>731404609
I'd recommend you look into diy guitar kits to get a feel for it then go from there
>>
>>731403937

guitar

nine years

had a teacher

im the fukin goat
>>
>>731405056
It's going to piss you off when I tell you this, but I really don't paly but a few times a week anymore.
>>
At what age is it too late to start learning an instrument?

>asking for a friend
>>
I play guitar and I sing.
Started playling guitar ca 20 years ago and got taught by a teacher. I think I'm pretty good.
Now I'm the teacher. There are 4 kids and 1 older guy currently getting taught by me.
Aside from that I play small concerts wit h my band and also with my "solo show".
>>
>>731404609
I don't know how to build anything but a didlybow, I bought a Banjo hand made in bedford pa years ago cost me about 4k.
>>
>>731403937
>instrument/s you play
Mostly bass but also returned to play on classical guitar
>how long have you dedicated to each instrument
Started on guitar 4 years ago and moved to bass 2 years ago. I mainly play bass as I said.
Learned some basics with teachers but had quite a time I learned alone. I also really love to explore and experiment on my own. Right now I have an amazing bass teacher.
With enough training and determination I can be very good.
Not yet, but I work on my first jazz-ish style piece for bass guitar and try to cover some difficult songs (like Animals as Leaders 'para mexer' if you know) for fun.
>>
>piano, guitar and vocals
>11 years, 4 years and 2 years
>teachers
>yeah, I would say so
>yes
>>
>>731403937
>Piano (23yrs), Drums (14y), Accordeon (7), Church Organ (11), Guitar (13y),
>Piano and drums with teachers, rest are self taught
>Good musician if you ask the audience, but for me, I'd say no - I can always improve
>have played 300+ performances, a lot infront of +1k people...you get used to it.
>>
I started playing bass 8 years ago tomorrow, which is my birthday. Got a fender squire bass when I was 14. Started by learning Rush, Red hot Chili peppers, and Led Zepplin. Moved onto 5 string bass. I was a little faggot who liked Korn for a while. Learned their shit. Eventually found Dream Theater. First song I learned in it's entirety was In the presence of enemies Pt. 1. Loved them forever and eventually my friend showed me Cannibal corpse, Opeth and other bands of that sort in my freshman year of highschool. Started getting real heavy into technical, proggressive, death metal. Black dahlia murder left a big impact on me with the thrashy riffs. Then there was Between the Buried and Me. They changed my life. Now i know im listing bands and not talking about instruments but these are the bands who's music I learned and have infleunced my chops the most. I digress. Jaco Pastorius made me love jazz as well did Charles Mingus. Fast foward to the past year. Been into technical death metal bands ever since. The zenith passage, the faceless, Inferi, A loathing requiem, virulent depravity. I love string skipping. I started learning guitar sometime last year. Only thing I had to get used to was using a pick. been practicing tremolo picking and ergonomic picking since then. Ive gotten pretty efficient. Never used a pick for bass except for when i was learning tool songs so it was new for me. love the guitar more than bass now. I have written quite a few things out on guitar pro. a lot of great techy death metal shit that i hope to evolve into something one day. music is my life. if i cant make money as a musician i might kill myself. im so drunk.
>>
>>731403937
Upright bass, electric bass and piano.
Dedicated around 12 years to upright and electric bass, about 6 to piano.
Taught on the basses, self-taught on the keys.
I'm very very good at bass. Piano is much more of a compositional tool for me rather than a performative one-- it's really just a means of putting harmonies and melodies together.
I play bass in front of people often (played in a few jazz ensembles, just doing standards). No nerves in that respect. Would be very nervous about performing piano in front of somebody I didn't know, however.
>>
File: 1359323907999.jpg (21KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1359323907999.jpg
21KB, 320x320px
>>731403937
>Guitar
>1 year
>self taught
>no
>nope
>>
>>731405463
tl,dr
>>
>>731405196
damn, if I had that collection, I would not step outside for months
>>
>>731405628
youre mean
>>
File: 1488565982735.png (856KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1488565982735.png
856KB, 720x1280px
>>731404914
also, to answer some of OP's questions:
saxophone: 10 years
trumpet: 7 years
mellophone: 1 year
keyboard: basically all my life
guitar: three years
bass: 5 years
learned sax and trumpet in school, rest of them self-taught. never taken lessons or anything like that.
yea
do it all the time
>>
Electric guitar
about 6 months
teacher
maybe not overall, but i'm pretty good for 6 months
yes
>>
>>731405463
this was an interesting read
>>
>>
>>731404209
who are you trying to emulate, out of interest?
could use some motvation
>>
Piano, bass, trumpet, guitar and vocals
6 years
Self Taught, theory too.
for now, but the sky is the limit :D
I find it less of an issue, there's always a little fear but that's good for playing.

Favourite band is Yes closely followed by ELP, 70's Prog's the stuff
>>
>>731405932
I got off work early and ive been hitting a pint of jim beam and im depressed about a girl who didnt really love me and shit. i love musc so much and ive spent so much time writing great death metal with barely any repeating parts. just want to make something out of it one day. i want people to love and enjoy the music as much as ive loved other peoples work
>>
>>731406211
got anything to share? i would like to hear your work
>>
File: IMG_1024.jpg (28KB, 236x291px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1024.jpg
28KB, 236x291px
>cowbell
>6 years
>still haven't mastered the "nuances"
People seem to like it though, they're always asking for more.
>>
>>731403937
Bass guitar
Roughly 3 years
Mainly self taught but had a teacher for a few months
No not by a long shot
No played a few times live I didn't completely suck
>>
Hey guys if you had to choose between bass and guitar which one would be and why.
>>
>>731406461
No true answer for this. Gotta try both out and see for yourself, or you can learn both
>>
>>731406360
kek
>>
violin,cello,bass,bass guitar

10 years for all

teacher

haven't mastered any of them
>>
>>731403937
benjamin von...
>>
File: mayones_regius_gothic_7_1600.jpg (238KB, 1600x689px) Image search: [Google]
mayones_regius_gothic_7_1600.jpg
238KB, 1600x689px
>>731405980
Actually yes, it's a Polish guitar brand, pic related (i own this exact model)
>>
>>731403937
Violin/ Clarinet
5 yrs/ 7 yrs
self taught for both
I'm pretty good, but I can still be so much better
Yes I do it all of the time, used to perform in high school
>>
>>731406981
The brand is Mayones
>>
>>731406353
Yes. I can show you some stuff but i dont know how to make webms
>>
>>731407089
its all good just post links
>>
Any Jazz fags know some good bands similar to this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMo7zqmZjnc
>>
>>731406353
I have a bullshit FB account i can send you stuff on. If you look up Barry Goldsteinberg on facebook i can show you. It has a cat with red and blue glasses on in the profile pic
>>
File: file.png (829KB, 712x950px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
829KB, 712x950px
>guitar, drums if I owned a kit, sing, mess around with bass and mandolin sometimes

guitar been playing off and on my whole life, been really dedicated about a year now
only played drums once or twice, but I'm really good with keeping a beat with my hands/feet
singing my whole life
mandolin about 6 months
only messed with a bass a few times but can play pretty ok given its relation to a guitar

self-taught everything but kinda singing
I took vocal lessons twice when I was kid, only for a few months at a time and they never did anything, it's been maybe 10-15 years since I had any sort of music class

kind of, I don't even know how to read music, let alone how to write it, know next to nothing about music theory or anything that would inherently help me be a good guitarist. mostly read taps/chords but I have a friend majoring in music and he's helping me learn some more stuff
at least, I'm definitely not terrible. I know a few scales and can improv off of those, chord progression I discovered messing around, or just messing with other riffs/tabs I've learned

if it's a few people I know well, I have no problem
like with anything most people do, if there's a big group or I don't feel relaxed/comfortable, I fuck it up

>pic related
>my arsenal
>>
>>731407331
damn i dont use fb man
>>
>>731403937
>vocalist, guitar, piano
>vocal - few years
>guitar - few years
>piano - 3 months
>self taught (all)
>good vocalist, crappy pianist, barely ok guitarist
>I have two bands and perform in front of public quite often
>>
>>731407552
i dont have any of my stuff online anywhere. damn. wanna make a bullshit facebook account so i can show you?
>>
>>731407765
cant access fb from work my friend

guess this isnt my lucky day already lost my keys earlier
>>
>Trumpet, 4 years, taught for two self taught since
>I consider myself very good, perform regularly and gig for jazz
>Drums, 1 year, taught currently.
>Good, lots of potential, keep solid time and have pretty good feel. Need to work on creativity and thoroughly learning how to really "play" the kit before calling myself a "real drummer."
>>
>>731404245

OH SHIT GOT EEEM

you must be the third grader here
>>
>>731407958
it was nice talking to someone with interest. i relish these moments. if you want i have a second email. [email protected]. keep that in mind if interested
>>
>>731404609
If you have access to a wood shop you can make electric instruments real easy.
For acoustic instruments, and no prior experience, find someone who does it near you!
Doesn't matter what instruments he or she makes, just go and work for them for a few weeks. Offer to help out around the shop for free. Learn the names of tools and wood types etc. My best tip at least (:
>>
>>731407958
if you remember in the future, the fb name again is Barry Goldsteinburg.
>>
>>731403937
>Guitar player mostly.
>My rough guess would be around 15k hours on guitar, 200 hours Bass, 200hours singing, 100hours drums, 100hours piano and 500 hours audio engineering. Also around 1k hours of teaching guitar. And maybe 1k hours on stage playin guitar also.
>Had 5 different private teachers during my time.
>Still not good enought, So much more to learn.
>Iam used to it. But it was pretty uncomfortable first.
>>
>>731408135
alright nice i will contact you after work
>>
I play
Guitar: ~12 years
Bass: 3 years
Violin: 1.5 years
Banjo: 3 years

Self taught on all

I consider myself an okay musician but an excellent performer.

I currently play guitar and sing in a street punk band, rhythm guitar in a punk band, rhythm guitar in a thrash band, and Banjo in a folk punk band.
>>
>>731408292
awesome
>>
>>731403937
Professional classical musician.
Lost of fun but lots of sacrifice and study.
>>
>>731403937
>6 string acoustic and electric guitar
>6-7 years with a lot of breaks
>had a teacher for a month until i learned the basics,and to read tabs
>Fuck no
>Done that
>>
>>731404796
No scale do the guthrie govan style. Thats phrasing and aproach to melody. You will never learn that by practicing scales. Practice improvisation and creating original and musical lick, while being in time and having a good technique. Its practicing after all. And do that for a looong time.
>>
>>731404084
So jealous
>>
When i was like 15 or so i wanted to play sax because i like the sound of it but the stupid orchestra i went to practice with only had clarinets. They said that is basicly the same thing. So i was playing clarinet for about a year. It wasn't bad. I started to search for notes on the internet and played the imperial march. I quit because my mother forced me to practice more and more. Also everybody was calling me squidward.

Skip 2 years

I'm in a new school. A guy asks "Hey do you play any instrument?" i say "Nah but i wanted to try drumming". He says to come over to his band practice and drum for a while. I'm just hitting the bass drum. He says i can feel the rythm. And now i play drums for 1,5 years. I left that band tho cause that guy was being a massive cunt. Never took lessons but wanted to to improve my technique
>>
I play Drums and sing but mainly DJ
12 or so years
No
Yes
Yes I do
>>
>>731409153
sorry B/ro wasn't trying to gloat.
>>
File: 20170419_123316.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170419_123316.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
One of mines
>>
>Piano, Dulcimer, and singing/vocals
>5 years of piano, 12 years of vocals, one year of Dulcimer
>Learned singing and piano from a teacher, learning Dulcimer by myself
>I consider myself a good singer and an average piano player at best, even with years of practice. Haven't had enough experience with Dulcimer to be able to tell yet, but I'd like to get good.
>I've played piano without panicking in front of others, and singing comes quite naturally. I'm not good at being in front of people, but I can handle myself and get through things well. I just kind of tell myself I can freak out about it afterwards. Like...holding in a panic attack, if that makes sense.
>>
File: Shattered smolr.png (118KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Shattered smolr.png
118KB, 500x500px
> Electric Guitar, Accordian, Relatively good controllerist.
>Accordian, 2 years on/off, Guitar 8 years.
>Self Taught.
>Yes, I would.
>Yes, and have many times.
>Currently own a small record label.
>>
>>731403937
I've been a vocalist forever and I just decided to learn guitar. I'm a good singer, but it's too early to tell whether I'm going to be any good at guitar. I've only been learning for a couple of months.
>>
>>731409484
It's all good, it's just a really nice collection. I always loved stringed instruments. I'm more of a small strings guy myself (ukulele, mandolin, dulcimer, etc.) But I always get a little jealous seeing a nice collection of any stringed instruments. Hehe.
>>
>>731409628
>accordion
I have 2 for sale if you are looking to buy any.
>>
>>731409429
And i forgot
I consider myself decent
And it's not a problem for me to play in front of People i already did it twice or more
>>
>>731409856
I have 4 madies, as stated before this is only about 1/2 my collection.
>>
>>731409868
Nah, I already have a couple of well worn oldies. Thanks for the offer though.
>>
>>731409968
I have been trying to figure out how to sell these things put them up on ebay and only got 2 views. Ideas?
>>
>>731409868
How much are you selling for?
>>
10 years, guitar, self-taught
Always learning every day I think good is a subjective term! In my eyes I am god because I will never stop being mindful about practice and utilizing smart tools in order to enable growth, hopefully lifelong
>>
>>731410059
one 2grand and the other 4, obo.
>>
>>731403937
Saxophone- 6 years
Taught by teacher
Guitar- 4 years
Violin- 6months
Mandolin- 2years
Bass- 4 years
Piano - 3 years
All self taught

Very good musican

Play Infront of crowds often
>>
>>731410057
Yeah, hit up a local collector of pianos, look around for collectors online. Trust me, we like to pay shipping. If you have anything worth a shit, it'll get some bites. Look around for us.
>>
>>731410445
taking pics now maybe you can tell me if you think they are good.
>>
>guitar and clarinet (high school)
>6 years of each
>mostly self taught on guitar
>soloist for clarinet in HS (2 years ago), meh for guitar
>for guitar, I'm a nervous wreck
>>
>>731403937
I play the classical guitar for 5 years in a european conservatory
I really dont play much anymore but i waste to play 15 minutes per day
teacher
I would and I did alot of times, bough infront of a huge audience (orchestra) and a small one, with the parents and shit.

And fuck normies that think they know how to play cuz they know 3 chrods
>>
>>731403937

Guitar (used to do rock and folk, now classical mostly)
13 years
Self taught, using tabs
I play guitar well (can do Gabriela's rhythms, from Rodrigo y Gabriela, for example), but in terms of musical understanding, I am pretty shit
Have played lots of gigs (maybe 40 or 50, crowds between 10 and 400 people) and have been pants shitting nervous at almost every single one.
>>
File: guitars.png (523KB, 601x594px) Image search: [Google]
guitars.png
523KB, 601x594px
Guitar
Year and a half
Self-Taught
Good for the time iv been playing
I can play infront of anyone, remember, even if youve only played a week youre still better than everyone whos never played.
>>
>>731404914
Who did you march and what years?
>>
>>731403937
I've been playing guitar for the last 12 years, I have composed 16 acoustic folk/punk songs, but I'm too afraid to sing in a crowd, I just sing with friends and they really like it. How do I overcome my faggotry?
>>
>>731411062
jump into it, if you never jump you'll never fly
>>
>>731410865
Meant to put 2 year and a half
>>
>>731410445
Here is one
>>
>>731411062

Do an open mic night somewhere with your friends. You will still be a faggot, but you will see that it's normal to be nervous. You just have to throw yourself off the deep-end every time. I used to busk on the street, helped me overcome my fear.
>>
File: received_10213309533637962.jpg (230KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
received_10213309533637962.jpg
230KB, 1920x1440px
Picking her up tomorrow
>>
>>731411062
have you ever played any other musics infront of people that you didnt know?
>>
>>731410445
and the 2nd
>>
File: 1476294352104.jpg (51KB, 500x672px) Image search: [Google]
1476294352104.jpg
51KB, 500x672px
Sax (Alto) for six years. Can also do bari and tenor. I'm not professional, but I'm not a bad player by any stretch. Can do jazz, musical production and concert stuff. Took lessons from school bands primarily. That's my main.
Guitar on and off for two years. Some of it was lessons, some is self-taught. Pretty shit, ngl
Bass since last summer. Self-taught, I'm better at it than guitar, not as good as sax.
Can do a bit of piano, but don't really count it. Self-taught, just do a few songs that I've learned by ear and chord charts. Also kinda shit
>>
>>731404781
I feel you bro
>>
File: received_10213330668166312.jpg (250KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
received_10213330668166312.jpg
250KB, 1920x1440px
>>731411297
Fully set-up
>>
>>731411221
>>731411286
>>731411313
I'm actually moving abroad to study, I'm planning to do an open mic somewhere there, in case I fuck up or something, no one knows who I am, and I can go back to be a loser. I used to play on punkrock bands, but never actually sang, just back up vocals and played bass.
>>
>instrument/s you play
Guitar: Kramer, Jackson and a Killer-KG Exploder Snow White.

10 years.

self-taught with help from various online lessons, tab sites.

no.

probably not right away but i wish i could find a way to improve upon that.
>>
>>731403937
>guitar, bass, also some eletrco-stuff done on the computer
>7 years of guitar, started electro stuff 6 months ago
>self-taught, from playing to recording/mixing/mastering
>Yes
>Yes, i'm a touring musician
>>
>>731405215
Not too late as long as you git gud
>>
>guitar, bass, saxophone, some piano
>saxophone 7, guitar 5, bass 3, piano less than a year
>used to do lesson with sax and guitar, taught myself classical guitar
>idc really doesn't bother me
>>
File: RoyalRG1000.jpg (386KB, 530x800px) Image search: [Google]
RoyalRG1000.jpg
386KB, 530x800px
>Guitar
>14 years
>Self-taught
>Nope, just play for my own entertainment and collect gear
>Nope

In picture my main amp. 150W Royal RG 1000 from the early 70's with matching 3x10" cab.
>>
>>731410971
gold 2014-15 and scvc 2016. doing scvc again this year for my age out
>>
>>731411845
That's a nice amp. Is it a marshall-like or something quite different?
>>
Playing Guitar and Bass for about 16 years, currently using a recently bought Jim Root Tele which i've had set up to play open C and a decently made Michael Tobias 6 string bass (not the shitty ones) which i use for pretty much everything. The other guitar i use at the moment is a Stephen Tyler 8 string ESP i got in Japan which is pretty fun.
>>
>>731404952
Warmoth or something like that. I'm drunk so thinking is hard. You basically buy the neck, body, etc. Picking pickups and pots is up to you but sodering isn't hard. I'd recommend sodering a few wires on your own before you do anything to the guitar. It isn't hard but it's practice and logic thought.

>Rebuilt a 90s pevey guitar with strat style pick ups, each humbucker had a pickup selector (single, double, inverted) before the 5 way. Learn what the switches do, what the pots are considering are controlling, what is the frequency chart of your pickups
>Slightly autistic but I'm on /b/ so I'd assume you are too
>>
French horn 3 1/2 years I was taught can do in ensemble but not solos, isnt my type
>>
>>731403937

>Percussion
>12 years concert/orchestra
>10 years marching
>4 years world/jazz/ensemble/hand/etc
>2 years drum kit (rock/folk/pop/americana)
>Learned through school and competitive groups
>Consider myself a jack of many, master of none
>I love me some live music
>>
>>731411567
Yeah do that, its not like they are going to know that you made them anyway, and if i played infront of 20 people on 5 grade you can do that
>>
>>731412017
Marshall look-a-like with Fender controls. Sounds still quite a lot like old Marshalls (thanks for being build in London, even though Royals Fender knock-off company was Japanese, in factory that was bought by Marshall quite soon). Inside it's just another Fender knock-off but at least they have made it quite high quality which helped me a lot to restore it (finding old Telefunkel tubes is easier than ever and even when I bought it few years back in original condition many of the original parts were in extremely good condition except tubes which were fried, probably the original owner tried to be Lord and used it with a synth).
>>
>>731411567
Who cares if you suck? You might suck for many years but people will respect the effort you put in and the less you think about other people the more you can grow musically man, trust me
>>
>>731405463
DIdnt mention if self taught or teacher?
>>
Why the fuck did my auto correct change Stephen Carpenter to Stephen Tyler?
>>
>>731405541
I respect the shot out of upright. I've been plying electric bass for two years and want to move over in about another 3 years. Give me some advice maybe like a top 3 or 2 things that are important? Please
>>
>Drums
>10-11 months
>self-taught
>semi-decent on drums
>yes
>>
>>731412802
>>731413043
Thank you anons, I need to care less about what people think. I am like that because I think I might judge people too much, in my own head, and I'm afraid they'll do the same.
>>
>>731411907
Live it up, anon. Then join a senior corps.
I skipped a callback for Phantom my age-out year. 6 years later it's still one of my biggest regrets.
>>
File: 211206S16080014-front-large.jpg (70KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
211206S16080014-front-large.jpg
70KB, 500x750px
This is the guitar I bought to learn on. So far, so good. I like that Sweetwater takes pictures of your guitar in a studio before they ship it to you.
>>
Bass
Played in high school and didn't touch it for a cool 8 years. Picked it back up after the Marines and it helps with my ptsd. I like learning it as a focused adult.
I had one good mentor, broke my phone and lot his number. Been self taught on YT and books but I feel like I'm missing something.
I want to make noise any opportunity to get better.
I'm having a hard time finding jam buddies but you know I always like to ask other musicians on how I can get better. I'm not scared just haven't had the chance. I play occasionally at a weed lounge in Denver.
>>
>>731404156
wrong. sucking dick is for queers, which you're very good at. playing music on an instrument is for expressing one's self, faggot.
>guitar 25 years.
>>
>>731408091
>>731409429
>>731409456

What are you drumming, friends?
>>
>no trombonists

Come on guys...
>>
File: EB1AvfNW.jpg (144KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
EB1AvfNW.jpg
144KB, 720x1280px
>>731403937
>instruments
started on guitar but mainly play bass now, I know a little on keyboard/piano, getting better at drums and singing

>how long
started guitar about 7 years ago, bass around 4
the others I've only started really doing in the last year or 2

>teachers or self taught
self taught mostly, but I've had proper teaching on bass, learnt all my scales and stuff

>consider yourself good?
I get by on guitar, I'm better on bass, people I know seem to like the bass stuff I've written for my bands original songs. I could defs get better at singing

>would you be able to play in front of people
I always played guitar in front of people in high school, so I guess I'm used to it by now. There's always that bit of nervousness before a set when I play a gig, but it goes away pretty quickly

pic related, my bass rig
>>
>>731414062
I have the shittiest amp. What do you think of Fender rumble series 100w. That loud enough for a decent small-medium venue?
>>
Where can we find your home made music???

Mine is here: https://www.musicguy.dk

- Enjoy --
>>
>Guitar, bass, and piano
>3 years, never, 1 year
>Both
>I'm a performer more than a musician
>I might get stressed but it won't bother me.
>>
>>731403937
Banjo, 4 years now. I have a teacher once a week (probably like 40 weeks a year because he takes school holidays off, etc). I like him, but kinda wonder how much I really get out of him anymore. I live in Europe, where banjos are pretty rare. My teacher was the only one I could find. He is primarily a guitar teacher, specializing in jazz and Spanish styles. He's really good, but I get the feeling he doesn't quite have the 'feel' for banjos.

I am OK, but still far from good enough to play with others much. My sense of musical timing sucks big time. It's kind of a hobby more than anything, but I also find it a stress reliever, and I do enjoy it. I'll keep with it.

I can play in front of others OK. We do small recitals now and then, and I've 'shown off' for friends before. I don't get the jitters much. I'm a teacher so I'm used to being 'on stage'.

>>731404084
what's your favourite banjo? Are the shortnecks 4-string or vintage?
>>
>>731403937

> Drums & Guitar
> 11 years for drums, 5 for guitar
> Teachers for 8 years for drums, then 3 years self-taught; 5 years self taught for guitar
> Yes
> Yes, I already did many times
>>
>>731403937
>Guitar, Bass
>I've been playing guitar for almost 20 years
>I had two different teachers
>Not much of a "musician" per se... I don't think anyway. But I can play
>I've been in a few bands
>>
>>731414395
The hand made one that is in the case on the end.
>>
>>731404084
I've always wanted an archtop guitar
>>
>>731403937
>>731403937
>guitar /bass for 23 years
>self taught
>I'm ok
>have been in several bands, never had stage fright
>>
>>731414323
I used to have the rumble 25 as a practice amp a while ago, you can get some pretty crisp tones with it.
Should go alright for smaller venues yeah, but bigger places should have a proper PA/mixer set up with amp mics and everything anyway
>>
>>731414876
>>>731403937 (OP)
the brown one is a 1930's gibson and the light brown\red one is called infinity hand made in the USA. http://www.infinityguitars.com/
>>
>>731413319
Sweetwater is the best.
>>
File: IMG_0161.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0161.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
some of my gear
>>
>>731416317
I love the look of some ESP guitars and basses but I had an LTD bass that felt like fucking shit to play, it was around $500 new, then I got a $70 ibanez bass from a pawn shop and it felt nicer to play on
>>
>>731416843
I'm not much of a bassist, but I got it CHEAP from some website. The headstock was cracked in half and they fixed it
>>
>>731413043
This is decent advice. You're going to suck, someone will always be better than you
>>
File: lec154dxstbc3.jpg (68KB, 548x485px) Image search: [Google]
lec154dxstbc3.jpg
68KB, 548x485px
>>731417088
do you reckon it feels alright though? this pic is pretty much what I had
>>
>>731417533
Yeah, I thinks it's fine for a bass. I like sort of thin necks, it's good enough
>>
i've played the trumpet for over 20 years but i work in the financial field. from what i've learned, people appreciate if you have a talent and you are proud of it, and so if you play an instrument, but want to work in another field, i still recommend you keep on striving to become a stronger and more confident player
>>
>>731418070
Yeah thin necks are the best, that's why I love ibanez
>>
>>731403937
>Guitar, and hoping to get into piano and bass
>About 5 hours a week at least for almost a year now
> I have a bunch of friends who all play guitar and have been for years, they've been teaching me some basics, other than that mostly self taught. Could never afford a teacher as much as I'd like to
> I'm pretty shit but okay for someone who hasn't been playing for a full year
> No not at all, but I'd like to one day
>>
>>731409504
>muh dreme gutar
>>
File: Snapchat-429278158.jpg (878KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-429278158.jpg
878KB, 1440x2560px
20 years bass/bass guitar
15 years guitar
10 years mandolin

Bass i took lessons in school and privately
Guitar and mandolin self taught.

I am a good musician

Used to play to packed clubs and venues.

Pic related. My three mains.
>>
>>731416317
Why do you like BC Rich so much? I can't imagine anyone plays them besides for the looks
>>
>>731418763
I'm no pro or teacher, but any advice I have for getting good would be practise more, at least 3 or 4 hours a day, constantly learn new songs as well, stuff that's challenging.

Also learn your scales cleanly, major and minor at least, and keep challenging yourself to play them faster without fucking up
>>
>>731403937
Drums since I was 5 (18 now)
Ukulele since I was 14 (I know, I'm a fag)
Banjo and harmonica for a year and a half
Bass on and off for the last year
Have a basic ability at piano
>>
>>731403937
Guitar, bass, drums, piano, violin
10 years except for drums and violin
Self taught
Yes
Yes
>>
>>731420150

>3 to 4 hours a day

That is way too much time for an amature to put into a hobby. Practice smarter, not harder. Shit, I've won national competitions and used to get paid to play music, and I practiced a maximum of an hour a day.
>>
>instrument/s you play
french horn (lol)
4 years, started getting serious within the last year or so
started with a teacher who taught me good habits, self taught for a while. i'm going to be taking from a symphony player soon
i'm pretty good, i have good control of my nerves but i am not the best.
not really
>>
>>731403937

Ive plkayed the saxaphone for 14 years now and the clarinet for 10, I had a music teacher right through school that I am still good friends with today despite him being well into his 70's now.

Ive been a member of a number of different Jazz groups and swing bands through the years and I still meet up many of them on the regular to play at open mic nights or local jazz clubs.
>>
>>731420416
Additional info, only drums were with a teacher, everything else is self taught
>>
>>731419994
Actually, the higher end models play really well. Usually with a really shallow neck. If you spend less than a grand, it's for looks, over that, they're really nice. A tone not unlike Gibson's, to be honest.
>>
>instrument/s you play
Guitar and bass
Been playing guitar for a couple of years, played bass since christmas
Self taught, mostly with YouTube
I'm average, nothing special
Fuck no, I can't even speak in front of 2 dozen people without a minor panic attack
>>
>>731420836
actually yeah fair enough, but if you want to do plenty of stuff like different exercises, going through your scales, and learning and playing through songs then you'd need more than an hour, and spending more time practising doesn't mean you can't still be efficient about it
Thread posts: 171
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.