[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Book Thread Let's see if there's any literate lurkers

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 49

File: file.png (250KB, 277x416px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
250KB, 277x416px
Book Thread

Let's see if there's any literate lurkers left on /b/

Pic relate : almost done with this one, and it's the best thing I've read since Dune, only it's much better than Dune
>>
I finally finished gameof thrones #5. Ive enjoyed the series, but the quality certainly dropped with the 4th book. 5th is better than 4th but still not as well written as the first 3. Makes me wonder if the the last 2 will be any good if the ever get released.

Probably going to switch to reading some non-fiction science books for a change from the fantasy genre.
>>
The Wise Man's Fear is a lot worse so enjoy
>>
>>730380711
>toptier
>>730381438
>you're just salty that 3 isn't out like I am
>>
File: The outsider.jpg (34KB, 220x323px) Image search: [Google]
The outsider.jpg
34KB, 220x323px
I've jut finish this a few days ago. That's wonderful and much easier to read than I thought it was. I bought three other books that he written.
>>
Read up to the newest book of Name of the Wind.

MC is fucking baller but god damn he's a fucking Cuck Meister. Three books in and hes still watching and hearing/learning about his woman fucking countless men
>>
As the series goes on, it basically becomes the author's surrogate circle jerk.

Kvothe struggles for 5 minutes....BUT WINS!
Kovthe meets a strange nature fairy who kills everything who stands near her...but she fucks him within 5 minutes!
A new struggle? Kvothe's ass is on the job! New deus ex machina and ability! He's SO strong!
Oh no! Someone looked at Denna the wrong way? Will she pick him or....? Guess what.
>>
>>730380711
Just ordered that one. Favorite of all time has to be the classic dune series.
>>
File: 23814733.jpg (38KB, 312x475px) Image search: [Google]
23814733.jpg
38KB, 312x475px
If you like Paddy Roth you would probably like Mark Lawrence OP
>>
>>730381438

I enjoyed the second book much more than the first tbh.

Except the fey(sp?) scene.
>>
>>730381747
pretty much
>>
>>730381521
He is right. The name of the Wind is pretty good but it is clear that Rothfuss has no idea how to actually tie it up in a satisfactory way. Two seems to wander all over the place with out ever really advancing the story in what felt like a satisfactory way (at least to me) and now it seems like he will never complete three.
>>
File: foundation.jpg (819KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
foundation.jpg
819KB, 1920x1080px
might do the others in the foundation series.
>>
>>730382212
He actually streams on twitch alot. He talked about 3 a while ago but no real details or a release date.
>>
>>730380711
The wise mans fears (book two) is great.
>>
File: auri.png (920KB, 1000x1100px) Image search: [Google]
auri.png
920KB, 1000x1100px
>>730380711
>>
>>730381438
Yea i assumed that would be the case, so yes, I am enjoying. I've tried to slow down my reading so as to make it last longer, but am failing at that on account of it being so great.

Apparently it took him like fifteen years to write the damned thing or some shit, so I'm assuming everything he ever writes which takes less than a decade to finish is going to be pretty inferior.
>>
File: Anarchy in the UK.jpg (24KB, 346x518px) Image search: [Google]
Anarchy in the UK.jpg
24KB, 346x518px
>>
>>730382212
I've watched some interviews, and I would agree.
>but
>>this is a story about the best. The best of the best.
>>>This story, if it ever is finished, will be finished in the best way. It will become the best, because it has that potential... I'd much rather believe that than not, and at the end of the day I don't really know, so I choose to believe whatever.
>>
>>730381747
He did lose all his powers though.
>>
>>730382004
I found the whole Ademre/Lethani part so fucking boring ruined most of it for me
>>
>>730382520
No he didn't. They alluded he might have. He's laying low for Cinder.
>>
>>730382566
but muh anime fight scenes!
>>
>>730382566
Tempi could have been a secondary character who was actually a badass and could be comparable to Kvothe.

But no. There can't be anything that resembles Kvothe's power or Rothfus wouldn't know how to use adjectives.

So tempi became the biggest bitch/cuck while Kvothe became OP of every ademre skill.
>>
>>730381747
>Why not want to read a story of overwhelming triumph?
>>
Opinions on Tom Clancy?

I read Rainbow Six and was not impressed. Not enough tension, everyone was too perfect, too much fluff. I will say he can paint a good picture of a scene.
>>
>>730380711
>be on /tg/ a few days ago
>what's the worst sci-fi/fantasy book you've ever read?-thread
>The name of the wind comes up
>always wanted to read it
>friends also told you to read it
>everyone shits on it
>think: can't be that bad
>someone post short excerpt
>it is that bad

Now I'm interested: defend the book. Maybe you can change my mind

Also best author is and will always be Terry Pratchett
>>
>>730382936
It's not triumph if it's 5 different scattered problems that get resolved in a chapter using nothing from the previous ones. Chekovs gun? lol no.
>>
>>730380711
If you like Name of the Wind you're going to fucking love the second one.
>>
>>730382934
Not really, Kvothe barely passed the trials and just left after that. For the ademre, Tempi was still superior; even he wasn't a master, and Kvothe was far from it.
>>
File: red-rising-cover-2b.jpg (218KB, 600x913px) Image search: [Google]
red-rising-cover-2b.jpg
218KB, 600x913px
>>
>>730382942
meem military author
waste of time
thousands and thousands and thousands of pages of cringeworthy "muh army doodz r kool and war iz neeto" bullshit
cringe just thinking about it
>>
>>730382934

I forgot about Tempi. Fuck that waste of time and potential.
>>
>>730382985
Why do you want us to defend it? If you want to read it, read it. If you only want to read it cause it's become a meme book and you want to fit in, don't read it. Meme readers are the worst, even worse than meme TV series watchers.
>>
>>730383119

Vashet's training ring a bell? He outclasses Tempi in 5 pages of a shoddy training montage.
>>
File: xenocide.jpg (58KB, 1200x627px) Image search: [Google]
xenocide.jpg
58KB, 1200x627px
>>730383270
>comparing Crapniss Everdeen to the fucking Wiggin
Okay, you got me. I'm mad.
>>
>>730383805
Just imagine, someone makes a living writing that type of horse shit
>>
>>730383531
I just want to know if it will be worth my time or not. Got a huge backlog of books I still need tó read...

Plus now I'm curious because I've heard these two very contrarian viewpoints.
>>
File: 1492707122588.gif (1MB, 217x217px) Image search: [Google]
1492707122588.gif
1MB, 217x217px
>>730380711
>None were good enough for her, so I held them in contempt and hated them. They in turn hated and feared me.

>But we were pleasant to each other. Always pleasant. It was a game of sorts. He would invite me to sit, and I would buy him a drink. The three of us would talk, and his eyes would slowly grow dark as he watched her smile toward me. His mouth would narrow as he listened to the laughter that leapt from her as I joked, spun stories, sang...

>They would always react the same way, trying to prove ownership of her in small ways. Holding her hand, a kiss, a too-casual touch along her shoulder.

>They clung to her with desperate determination. Some of them merely resented my presence, saw me as a rival. But others had a frightened knowledge buried deep behind their eyes from the beginning. They knew she was leaving, and they didn't know why. So they clutched at her like shipwrecked sailors, clinging to the rocks despite the fact that they are being battered to death against them. I almost felt sorry for them. Almost.

>So they hated me, and it shone in their eyes when Denna wasn't looking. I would offer to buy another round of drinks, but he would insist, and I would graciously accept, and thank him, and smile.

>I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted her mouth, felt the warmth of her, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name.
>>
>>730381438
I read a wise mans fear first and it was good, but when i wanted to read the first it wasnt appealing. I think that the first and the second are maybe too similar. or idk what it is maybe its just bad to read the first volume after second.
>>
>>730384047
Do you have the one with the description of Rothfuss?

>skilled ladylover or something?
>>
>>730383306
Completely agree.

Like LOTR except instead of hobbits/elves/wizards in middle earth we get jarheads in 'merica.

Waste of time is the best way to put that kind of tripe. Pretty sad when you know the ending 1/20th of the way through.
>>
>>730384047

Written in first person, so you can really feel how much of a superior little bitch Kvothe is.

And he always wins. Sure, he gets scraped, but he grins it off and always fucking wins. No growth for his character, or depth to his personality, just a shit eating diatribe following every minor scuffle.
>>
>>730380711
This book was one of the best books I have ever read, no joke. I read this in jail along with Game of Thrones and enjoyed this much more although GoT was an amazing time-sink.

But what the fuck Rothfuss, where the fuck is book three??? Seriously he spends all his time on interviews, a movie, a game, side-projects but that book has been in the works for years now. I'm afraid by the time it comes out I won't even remember the inner workings of the plot, if it ever comes out at all.

He wrote a short little book recently called 'The slow regard of silent things' which basically is about the life of sewer-girl (forgot her name cause its been so long) which I thought was a nice read. I can upload it somewhere if anyone wants, or you can torrent it.
>>
Anyone read The Descent by Jeff Long? If so, how were the follow ups? They have never been translated into my mother tongue
>>
>>730384183
>In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all his friends despite the fact that he had never so much as kissed a girl. He also role-played and wrote terrible stories about elves. He was pretty much a geek.

>For the next seven years Pat studied anthropology, philosophy, eastern religions, history, alchemy, parapsychology, literature, and writing. He studied six different martial arts, practiced improv comedy, learned how to pick locks, and became a skilled lover of women. He also began writing a satirical advice column which he continues to this day: The College Survivial Guide. Through all of this he continued to work on his novel.

>Now Pat teaches half-time at his old school as an assistant-sub-lecturer. He is underpaid but generally left alone to do as he sees fit with his classes. He is advisor for the college feminists, the fencing club, and, oddly enough, a sorority. He still roll-plays occasionally, but now he does it in an extremely sophisticated, debonair way.
>>
Anyone ever read anything from A Lee Martinez?
Or David Wong's this book is full of spiders?
>>
>>730384626
>and became a skilled lover of women

thanks
I kek everytime
>>
>>730384428

You forgot where he fucks everything that's not Denna, but she falls for him anyway, so there's no real loss or longing in between. That quote clenches how little Rothfus understands about growth, or a character longing for something. Kvothe starts powerful, only loses because people cheat, but then he beats them anyway. It's two dimensional. It's not a quest to achieve anything, it's a slog you can predict every step of the way. The Kvothe of tomorrow is exactly the Kvothe of today, no matter how many times he says he's lost his power, or how many bar rags he wipes around. It's just one step from him winning every time.
>>
>>730382985
Defend what?
Its a kids book, dont get me wrong its not a bad kids book, but if you are looking for anything original or especially deep here dont bother.
If i had to describe it in one sentence would be "Harry Potter set in a generic fantasy world aimed at mid and older teens".
What i really dont like is that the second book seem barely related to the first one, the protagonist gets completely changed from a generic kiss less awkward teenager to a murderous psychopath who kills everybody and fucks everything with 0 transition period.
It feels like a mash up of a side story set in the same world with the actual sequel, for this reason i would say give it a pass.
>>
>>730384626

So much fucking cringe.
>>
>>730382934
Did you read the book?

Kvothe regularly gets fucked up by a little girl when training with the Admere.

This just happens to mean he's far superior to the average dude swinging a blade
>>
>>730385332

The little girl was The Hammer. The martial arts trainer everyone shits their pants around. Who outclassed every ademre kvothe had met up to that point.
>>
>>730383995
Nah nah nah just fuck off you meme reader faggot.
>>
>>730385745
m8, just tell me why you like the book.
Take >>730385108 for example. Told me the target audience and a bit about the series as a whole and based on this info I might actually read the first book. Far more useful then some retard going

>Hurr Durr you're a meme reader and not a Hipster like me!
Have you ever heard of recommendations?
>>
>>730385018
I have faith in book three tying everything together.

Besides, I have a hart time justifying criticism of something when it is far better than anything I or most people could write themselves. Every writer has their strong and weak points and that needs to be taken into account.

Can't please everyone, I suppose. I thought, while maybe a bit lacking in dynamics, it was very well written and the characters were relatable and interesting. You can tell he is a bit of an amateur, but I think that adds a special element to his work that can be hard to find sometimes, and one I appreciate.
>>
>>730384626
He wrote this himself..?
>>
>>730380711
oh what a coincidence
i'm at this exact moment listening to the wise man's fear. Its the 2nd part of this book and also very good
>>
File: 1434077922304.jpg (135KB, 395x395px) Image search: [Google]
1434077922304.jpg
135KB, 395x395px
>>730386333
>There are only meme readers and hipster readers
>No inbetweens because I said so!
>>
File: 1392473258510.jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1392473258510.jpg
36KB, 500x500px
Anyone else disappointed at the Gentlemen Bastards Series completely pissing its potential up a wall?

>Make an elaborate Setting
>establish nobility and thieving community
>establish a gang dedicated to fleecing both sides without either being aware of them
>make an interesting premise and con the gang's about to roll out
>completely and utterly derail it when some faggot comes out of the blue and forces them into a much less interesting scheme
>then proceed to repeat the previous two steps again and again
>then add a dash of divorce related bitterness in order to make everyone unlikable cunts for the last book
>mfw
>>
>>730385598
No the little girl was just a little girl not even of of comment Just telling you that you don't remeber
>>
>>730380711
Rothfus is the shit. Unfortunately editing of 3rd one in that series is going poorly. If you like him, check Mark Lawrence, Broken Empire series. Totslly different tones, but equally gifted writers. I mean, Price of Fools starts off with the main character at 12...raping a farm girl. Then he manages to make you love the char!
>>
File: Bone-complete.jpg (90KB, 431x600px) Image search: [Google]
Bone-complete.jpg
90KB, 431x600px
has anyone here read bone? I know it's a graphic novel, but since this thread is going in a fantasy directionI thought I'd mention it.
>>
>>730383270
That was complete shit cashing in on the hunger games. Thread is for good books.

I recently read and loved 11/22/63 by Stephen King
>>
I can't wait for book 3. Read the Slow regard for Silent Things Novella as well. Unlike most people who "read" I've read hundreds upon hundreds of books from every genre. Kingkiller Chronicles holds up as top tier epic fantasy against any series. The world is deep, the characters and story still mysterious after 1,200 pages, and the writing is deliberate and fairly concise. Book 3 is most likely going to be a monster so it tracks that it is taking a long time to write.
>>
>>730383270
Really? Its a YA book writtwn for girls who liked Hunget Games...
>>
File: 1439915099586.jpg (2KB, 80x21px) Image search: [Google]
1439915099586.jpg
2KB, 80x21px
>>730387400
>ah cahn't reehd: the post
ololol
I don't even know why I am replying, it isn't like you will be able to understand it.
>>
>>730387799
>I can't fathom that a person might like books and comics: the post
>>
>>730384468
I read it years ago. Didn't know there ere sequels!
>>
File: download (2).jpg (11KB, 182x277px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
11KB, 182x277px
God Tier fantasy. Fuck anyone conplaining because they didn't like how King finished it. Goddamn wankstains can't appreciate the author's vision. Besides, 1-4 already trump any other series.
>>
>>730387400
Read it a bit when I was a kid. Was super cute, and I remember vaguely that the story was actually surprisingly interesting. I should find and read it again soon.
>>
>>730387395
>If you like him, check Mark Lawrence, Broken Empire series.
Dont listen tot his fag, Broken Empire should be avoided.
Unless, i m not making this shit up, you want to read about a kid of 12 who is such a fucking bad ass that hes a master swordman who can kill anybody and scares a band of killers into fallowing him, now hes 15 or something he and his band of murderers who rape and burn alive women and children for fun go around ... kill and raping women and children. And everybody is afraid of him. Since hes such a fucking badass....
But hes a good boy, he dun did nuffin.
And then hes a great king, hes good at heart you see.

People often overuse edgy to describe book and characters, but this here, is as edgy as you can get.
>>
>>730387714
Really? Do you know why it is still mysterious? It is because none of it is set up from the start. He can basically introduce a brand new concept at almost any time flesh it out a bit and pretend that it was there from the start due to just how shallow the series is.
>>
Joe Abercrombie (except his Half a World series, for kids).
Richard Morgan, The Cold Commands / The Steel Remains / The Dark Defiles.
Brian McClellan, Powder Mage series.

All are memorably excellent. I wish I could read them all again for the first time.
>>
>>730388600
Yeah, the story is why it came to my mind as some people we're saying they're annyoed by generic fantasy stories.
It starts off goofy but becomes quite in-depth later on.
You should definitely reread it.
>>
>>730380711
If you love this book, prepare to be disappointing. Its been over 5 years since the second book was released, and no word on when the second one will be out. Every year the estimate gets pushed back another two years, its pathetic. Never, ever buying or reading another series from this guy again. He's let down all of his fans doing this shit. The series is amazing, and written so well, but Patrick Rothfuss is just pathetic.
>>
Prince of Thorns was good, but I liked Roads of the Righteous and the Rotten better. I'm currently reading The Bones of the Earth by Rachel Dunne, and it's good so far, too. Of the "Dark" Fantasy novels I've read, I would say Prince of Thorns is my least favorite. Probably because it tries just a little too hard to be edgy.
>>
I'm waiting for the fucking third one for ages....:/
>>
>>730388407
I didn't like how it finished, because it in no way resembled the way it started. He wrote the first book in the 60s?, so don't pretend like he had a linear vision that included him getting hit and nearly killed by a truck in the 90s. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>730388407
Friendly reminder black man Idris Elba will be your gunslinger for the movie
>>
I know its sort of a young adult series, and I know they made an awful movie out of it, but the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman is probably my favorite series of all time. It is just so goddamn fucking *beautiful* and I cried like a bitch at the end.

If I ever have a daughter I'm going to name her Lyra.
>>
File: The_Black_Company.jpg (64KB, 413x684px) Image search: [Google]
The_Black_Company.jpg
64KB, 413x684px
This is probably my favorite fantasy series. Cook was the first person (as far as I know) to do dark, gritty, militaristic fantasy. I re-read it every few years, and it never gets old.
>>
File: SIDELC.png (1MB, 852x639px) Image search: [Google]
SIDELC.png
1MB, 852x639px
>>730387395
>>730387395
>12...raping a farm girl. Then he manages to make you love the char!
i love him already
>>
>>730385598
Vashet was The Hammer, the bish who trained him. The little girl was just a little girl.
>>
File: 23 bface.jpg (84KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
23 bface.jpg
84KB, 300x300px
>>730387799
bro you don't have to make fun of graphic novel "readers" for them to be ridiculed... they've ridiculed themselves already
>>
>>730390611
And this is a close second. I need to re-read it because it's so densely packed with info. I'm trying to get through all the related books, first... reading Ian Esslemont's series that interweaves with this one.
>>
Does anyone know a good dieselpunk book/series?

I remember hearing of something which was basically a mixture between dieselpunk and biopunk, but was told it wasn't that great.
>>
>>730380711
Waiting not at all patiently for the third book. My life needs more wind name-calling in it.
>>
File: GotM.jpg (371KB, 1400x2257px) Image search: [Google]
GotM.jpg
371KB, 1400x2257px
>>730390842
Forgot the pic.
>>
File: wow.jpg (214KB, 345x336px) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
214KB, 345x336px
>>730388407
>stephen king
>a likable author

is this is ylyl thread? cause i lost. if i want to be bored to death i'll watch paint dry, it might be more fun actually
>>
>>730380711
I fucking love these books can't wait for the third!
>>
File: 1463551492869.jpg (80KB, 445x720px) Image search: [Google]
1463551492869.jpg
80KB, 445x720px
>>730390998
>hipster
Post disregarded
>>
>>730391095
>I love eating your creamy turds!
>Can't wait for another tasty log down my throat!
>>
I'm the only one who still reads the bartimaeus trilogy. Ah well Amulet of Samarkand for life
>>
>>730391318
we're talking about Patrick Rothfuss here, not Andy Sixx
>>
>>730391237
If reading things that are enjoyable to read makes me hipster then i never want to be square
>>
>>730387428
I dunno why but king should write more sci fi stories like under the dome or cell, i really enjoyed those two. Seen and read 11 22 63, the series is great for people who dont read as much.
>>
File: 4chan.jpg (202KB, 1217x838px) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
202KB, 1217x838px
>>730380711
Hey op. read both of em 3 times. and will read the 4º near before the last one is out. like everyone im salty AF cause years of waiting
>>
>>730380711
I wish he would finish the series though op.
>>
>>730391766
Reading things that are enjoyable to you doesn't make you a hipster no, but forcing your opinion down people's throat in a self-satisfied manner makes you a smug hipster faggot.
>>
File: Great-and-Secret.jpg (528KB, 2200x3300px) Image search: [Google]
Great-and-Secret.jpg
528KB, 2200x3300px
Recommend me some good Barker outside of this and books of blood
>>
>>730382353
Apparently he had written the whole thing, then decided it needed to be 3 books, and has since spent his time revising what he has written down already.

If we found his address, we could totally steal it!
>>
>>730391786
Agree with Under the Dome, but Cell was pure shit wtf dude
>>
i just read neuromancer, it was much better than expected. back to Emma and Snow Crash now. nothing beats Tolstoy/Nabokov/Dostoevsky for me though.
>>
>>730392072
i mean dude i agree with your first post about King having some great "vision", his mind might very well be one of the more fantastic minds in all of modern literature, but god damn, the way he lays it down on the pages is clunky, elongated as shit, and fucking boring! his writing is the very definition of missing the forest for the trees.

if he could hook his brain up to something and have it pump out the words instead of he himself doing it, then his books would have a real shot at being exciting
>>
>>730392304
Well he can't be blamed really. Back when he started writing it, Holleywood wasn't turning every fantasy trilogy into a decade-long silver-screen phenomenon with A-list actors. He's clearly looking to cash in and he no doubt will.
>>
In every Lit threat there's a couple dark tower fanboys. 90% of King's work is garbage. 20 pages into the second dark tower and i threw the book back on the shelf. Every page is like its written on auto. He comes up with an outline and then after two days of autistic pounding he has a book.
>>
File: 81C7uQhW3RL.jpg (326KB, 1050x1600px) Image search: [Google]
81C7uQhW3RL.jpg
326KB, 1050x1600px
right now I'm reading this book, it's been pretty good this far
>>
>>730393344
Thank you. that's more or less what i was trying to say here >>730392526

maybe if king wrote nothing but short stories they'd be readable... but then again... his recent short story book was forgettable trash. literally the only thing i remember about it is being disappointed
>>
>>730384162
>I don't read books in the order they're written

Get out of this thread, just go. Also that's like watching the final movie to Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings then asking "Who's this? What's going on? What is that?"

Are you retarded?
>>
>>730393637
i know a lot of people that like his work, are they all pseudo intellectuals?
>>
Noughts and Crosses, great book and am currently reading the sequel.
>>
>>730382936
bs he's a loser
>>
tip for all english speakers: Royce Buckingham: Clansman Invoking the Darkness

For some reason not available as print in english (which is surprising, since I read a printed german version and to my knowledge the author is english)

a neat story about a "great darkness" bordering the kingdom and a group of adventurers pushing back and exploring said darkness
>>
>>730393836
not even sure how i'd go about beginning to describe a King fan, but i can say with certainty that they're not the kind of people who i'd like to associate myself with and/or be around

they're probably the type of people who own a full living room set of expensive Italian leather furniture but have never had anyone over to their house
>>
Don't get me wrong, when King gave a shit his writing was different. When you read The Shining its like he poured everything he had into the pages. Everyone I know IRL that is a Dark Tower fan is literally only a fan of the Dark Tower. They don't read anything else.
>>
>>
>>730393344
>90% of King's work is garbage.
He's written so much that even 10 percent means a lot of good books. I don't understand why you would ever expect to like everything an author produces. I can't name a single one where that's the case for me.
>>
File: file.png (149KB, 250x333px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
149KB, 250x333px
bumpski
>>
>>730394828
>sara king

related to stephen?
>>
>>730395812
>I can't name a single one where that's the case for me.

I can
Pratchett
>>
>>730395836
>
no it is si fi
>>
>>730395812
People in literary circles just love to hate king. Its not that his work is bad, they just love to say its bad

> i Used to belong to several book clubs

Also, my contribution to the thread is "A scanner Darkly" or "do androids dream of electric sheep"
>>
>>730395836
i'm sure the fact that goes through everyone basic bitch's mind for just a moment when seeing her name contributes greatly to her sales
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n9nuagIgpR1s9bq6t.jpg (63KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n9nuagIgpR1s9bq6t.jpg
63KB, 500x375px
Name of the wind was enjoyable, but it got to a point where the characters luck was annoying. Possible spoilers for wise mans fear...It felt like I don't know, plot armor? lazy writing? A leads to B and nothing deeper. "I have nowhere to go but this university, but have no money, good thing a guy taught me everything. all my problems are solved" and "I have no money for university anymore, guess I'll become an allstar musician. I now have money, all problems solved" and "guy I know is friends with rich king who wants me at court. university isn't going so well, so time to kiss a kings ass. Saved his life so now university is free. all problems solved." and lets not forget "I"m trapped in a spirit realm with a sexy nymph creature that wants to kill me. Good thing I learned the name of the wind and freaked her out, making her curious about me. I'll play her music. wow she likes it. Wow now she is sucking my dick. She let me go home again and now i can turn invisible." Then he learns ninja shit. The whole story felt like the character was leveling up. Now the southern reach series starting with annhililation by jeff vandermeer was SICK. They're making a movie with alex garland, natalie portman and oscar issac. Gonna be sick.
>>
>>730392207
Was this a good book?
>>
>>730380711
Name of the Wind is amazing. My only grief with it is the fact that the main character is kind of a Mary Sue. I'm not a fan of characters that are just amazing at everything.

Especially when the one thing they're not amazing at is "But he still doesn't understand women!" which seems to be the thing with Kvothe.
>>
>>730396240
I think a lot of it is just the success he's had and how mainstream and influential his work has been. Some people just like to hate things that are popular. It's like people hating on LOTR or Michael Crichton or something.
>>
>>730392419
For some reason i just enjoy apocalyptical settings where shit hits the fan like baxters flood so cell did it for me, i also dreamt of a virus transmitted by wifi of phones and thought it was pretty original, but then i read Snow and Cell and fell dumb. Anyway, the first parts of cell are okay, when they were just zombies it was fun but when they started all this telepathic bs it went downhill. Anyone knows some good zombie/apocalyptic books? Realised i didnt read many of these.
>>
File: tinytim1938.jpg (23KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
tinytim1938.jpg
23KB, 400x300px
>>730396240
so what you're saying is, people who actually appreciate literature don't like King but casual readers who haven't even seen a book that wasn't on the "best sellers" shelf in the front aisle of K-Mart do

i'm not entirely sure that's saying much good about an author
>>
>>730396502
well i see what you're saying but i don't think Rothfuss really set out to do anything different with the book, in fact it kind of seems he was purposefully unoriginal

he just was able to tell the "same old story" really well, and his writing is poetic and superb
>>
>>730396666
do they have to be realistic?
A great comic-horror is David Wong's "This book is full of spiders".
Basically spidermonsters which go inside your jaw and turn you.
A lot of it is exaggerated and clearly played for laughs (which works), but during the middle it gets surprisingly realistic. Don't expect anything from the ending though...
>>
>>730395957
Ma man
I dont comprehenend how Pratchett eas able to write so manu quality books, all with unique and fun characters. Damn it just makes me sad that hes dead, id love to see some closure to some characters.
>>
>>730395957
>>730397263
Have not read any Pratchett, what do you recommend starting with? Or does it not really matter since they're all good?
>>
>>730397150
Google says its a part of the series, do i need to read previous books? Or are the previous books story mentioned?
>>
>>730396782
Not at all, im saying its popular opinion to hate him, but jerk off over some drivel cause its the flavor of the month.

I like kings work, i loved blaze and most of his bachman work aswell. Is it all good? No, no author is able to pull 300. But its not all trash like everyone likes to spout.

But, thats the nice thing about life, nothing matters. My opinions, your opinions, they are words in the air. You are just free to do things that you enjoy as long as you dont base yourself on the whims of others
>>
>>730397625
Light fantatic and then colour of magic are the starting points i guess. A lot of the books are standalone,if you google it there should be a chart how they are related and where to go from there.
>>
>>730397698
I haven't read the first book (picked book of spiders up at a bookstore without knowing it was a series) and didn't have any problems.
There might be some things that would be explained, but honestly it doesn't make much of a difference as the story is very weird.

So yeah, I'd say it works as a standalone, but it probably won't hurt to read the first one. Don't know anything about it though...
>>
>>730396782
To suggest that producing something capable of connecting with millions of people is a fault is an elitist, pseudo-intellectual shortcut to thinking.
>>
>>730386872
I just finished the lies of Locke Lamora. I loved it. Its really great inspiration for d&d. There are themes though that I know will get annoying in the later books. I really hate forced romances.
>>
I only read a few king books but the best thing about them is how much americane--y are they. As a euroboi, i believe he really nails the mentality of americans, and the roots of their pop, food and language culture, havent seen many authors do that.
>>
Trying to finish up American Gods before the show comes out.
>>
>>730398179
Thanks man, i really like weird stories, and this seems exactly like my alley.
>>
File: obama han solo.jpg (104KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
obama han solo.jpg
104KB, 400x400px
>>730398239
i mean, porn is capable of connecting with millions of people too, and it doesn't take a whole lot of gifted talent to produce, partake in, or appreciate porn. saying something is worthy of recognition just because it's popular is a logical fallacy
>>
File: wpid-wp-1443601231631.jpg (518KB, 1440x715px) Image search: [Google]
wpid-wp-1443601231631.jpg
518KB, 1440x715px
If you like science fiction epics like foundation, I'd recomend this series.
>>
>>730398618
I wonder what the show will be like, this settings is really unique, i only ran into something like this in secret world. Also wonder how many seasons will there be or if they will create new story after they run out of book material.
>>
>>730380711
I am reading this now! Kvothe just got to the Academy!
>>
File: pratchett.jpg (1MB, 3037x2278px) Image search: [Google]
pratchett.jpg
1MB, 3037x2278px
>>730397625
starting with pratchett can be hard.
Basically it's multiple storylines (with a distinct cast each, though there are cameos) happening at once.

I'd say either read in the order they were released (though the first two are very different from all the other ones) or pick a storyline and start with the first book in that line

pic related is a nice overview of the storylines and their respective books
>>
>>730382276
The first Three are great, but they start getting a little wild towards the end. good still.
>>
>>730398631
glad I could help

Have fun!
>>
>>730398631
same.
Neil Gaiman is a pretty good author, both for novels and for comics
>>
Don't understand the love for these books. Dude just has trouble with money for 800 pages.
>>
>>730397263
Did you read the Long Earth series he co wrote with Stephen Baxter? I loved the concept, last book in the series seemed rushed though
>>
>>730381530
Also a fan of weird fiction/lovecraft. I highly recommend "Black Wings of Cthulu", a collection of short weird fiction similar in style to Lovecraft but mostly modern-day settings. Compiled by S.T. Joshi, there are some really compelling creepy stories in there.
>>
File: shopping.jpg (27KB, 259x418px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
27KB, 259x418px
Just finished this guy. Love this dark Series
>>
File: dead beat.jpg (180KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
dead beat.jpg
180KB, 1536x1536px
Anyone in to Dresden Files?
>>
>>730380711
Holy shit, I'm halfway through that right now. Good man, op has class.
>>
>>730400073
not that anon, but that sounds interesting.
Bought the complete works of Lovecraft sometime ago and I really love the style and themes.
Though it isn't easy to read if you're not a native speaker...
>>
File: 22181034.jpg (11KB, 267x400px) Image search: [Google]
22181034.jpg
11KB, 267x400px
Anyone ever read this? Not as substantial as a Rothfus novel but I read it on a series of looong plane rides and for being a shorter work of fiction I couldn't put it down. Basically hyper-intelligent ants that release a hormone into the world which gives animals sentience and so they form armies to kill all humans for having treated them poorly before they were aware. Awesome plot, and the main character is a cat with a rifle who doesn't give a fuck.
>>
>>730390936
Malazan book of the fallen is legit one of the best fantasy series ever written. Have read any of Esselmont's stuff, but Erikson is a fantastic writer
>>
>>730392207
Barker's novels are all pretty meh, in my opinion. I would stick with his short stories, and if you already read the books of blood I would say you are pretty well good with him
>>
>>730400360
Yeah reading Lovecraft can get tricky even for native speakers, he writes in a very formal way and has a vocabulary that can easily make things confusing (the guy must have had "cyclopian" tattood somewhere on him). The contemporary stories in Black Wings are written in a modern way without being too simplified.
>>
File: WoT01_TheEyeOfTheWorld.jpg (56KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
WoT01_TheEyeOfTheWorld.jpg
56KB, 309x475px
If you haven't listened to any part of this on Audible you're missing out.

I am not done, i'm only on Knife of Dreams so please nobody spoil this for me.
>>
File: ready-player-one-book-cover.jpg (360KB, 1038x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ready-player-one-book-cover.jpg
360KB, 1038x1600px
Ready Player One is one of my all time favorites
>>
File: TheMagicians.jpg (53KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
TheMagicians.jpg
53KB, 309x475px
This shit right here was lit as fuck. One of my all time favorite book series. Fuck that piece of shit show I hope it rots in hell and drags along anyone that likes it.
>>
>>730401305
eye of the world was good, then it quickly turned to mush. i couldn't even make it all the way through dragon reborn. i can only imagine how much worse it kept getting as the series went on
>>
>>730381182
Your favourite asoiaf book will change after a reread. Give it a year though, or wait till the show is finished, if you watch it
>>
>>730401538
Without giving too much away because of people who haven't read it, what was your problem with it?

One of the problems I had was the writing style in the beginning. He drew out the simplest things. Like shit let this person walk down a hallway without describing every last detail of the rug...

It turns the fuck up after Dragon Reborn in my opinion. Now, I'm also listening to the audiobooks so I don't have the strain of having to read but it was worth it to me. There were parts in between Dragon Reborn that I didn't like and parts in the actual book that I didn't like. A certain character's attitude. But it gets better.
>>
>>730382276
I recommend the robot saga.
is better written overall and the end of fundation builds highly on that.
>>
>>730381438
I really liked Name of The Wind because of the emphasis Pat put on the struggle. It made it really realistic when things got better.
>>
>>730396502
I can understand this problem people have with NotW, and it's a fair criticism. But my reasoning for not seeing it the same way is that Kvothe is the one telling the story, so he's making himself seem better than he actually is, twisting facts to better serve the narrative and his image. Rothfuss seems to imply a lot that Kvothe is a damn liar too, so
>>
File: FoolsErrand-US.jpg (62KB, 304x500px) Image search: [Google]
FoolsErrand-US.jpg
62KB, 304x500px
If anybody knows Robin Hobb or her trilogies they'll know this isn't the first trilogy set in that storyline. But this has got to have been my favorite trilogy. Either that or Liveship Traders.

This book caught me off guard because I felt like the story had already ended and there wasn't much they could do for me. I thought I was just enjoying one of my favorite artist's writing style.

But it quickly became extremely lovable. I had no idea what I was getting into.
>>
>>730397263
I dunno, I don't think it takes a long time to spew out some verbal diarrhea and intersperse it (excessively) with lame-ass puns and pop culture references, but I can see why the 12 year olds on reddit like it so much
>>
>>730387400
I found the book in a waiting room during elementary school. I remember nothing from it besides a greedy character leaning about economics.
>>
File: images.jpg (24KB, 290x493px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
24KB, 290x493px
Awesome book.
>>
>>730401999
characters seemed rush, the awkward relationship which seemed to come out of nowhere between you know who and you know who, and like you said, the important things get rushed through and the fluff gets extra-fluffy

well if it's true that it does get better after DR, then that's a shame, because my chances of picking it up again are pretty damned slim
>>
Just wait until Wise Man's Fear. Your shit will be fucking blown.
>>
File: 220px-TheWayOfKings.png (146KB, 220x334px) Image search: [Google]
220px-TheWayOfKings.png
146KB, 220x334px
This is one of the few books that I can look back on and enjoy 99% of it. The red head's chapters were a bit boring. But they made up for that in the second book.
>>
File: Fairies Aire and Death Waltz.gif (874KB, 1462x1020px) Image search: [Google]
Fairies Aire and Death Waltz.gif
874KB, 1462x1020px
>>730380711
every single one of my friends (all two) have told me to read this book, and now I#m being told by /b/

huh, I should probably read this book
>>
>>730380711
Only Faggots Read Books
>>
>>730390936
I read this whole book after picking it up at the library.

All I remember is being confused the entire time. Finishing it with no memory of ever reading it, and wondering if I had only imagined reading the book as some sort of fever dream.
>>
>>730380711
Word. Reading it for the third time before release of third book. Fucking hell its sharing top spot with the stormlight archives.
>>
All these posts so salty and judgmental about Hunger Games novels or whatever, and then you extol the virtues of like Neil Gaiman and GRRM. The fact that one is targeted towards chicks, and others towards dudes doesn't make any of them good literature (American Gods was preachy and obvious, ASOIAF was masturbatory and lame). Side-note, the hasty dismissal of the chick-targeted novels is why you dipshits never get laid.

Read Steinbeck. Shit, Heller's Catch-22 was basically written for /b/tards before the internet existed. Rushdie and Smith are both excellent modern writers doing some very cool postmodernist things that take the genre in different directions. This thread was a fucking embarrassment to read through and now I'm bummed out.
>>
>>730402798
Ohhhhhh, yeah! There was definitely some um... changes.

I think that Robert thought that some relationships would be made with certain people in the beginning. But I think he realized that it was shit and quickly tore it down in the next book.

One of the best things happened in DR near the ending. I feel like that's when Robert really caught his stride. But the books aren't for everyone. I'm glad you gave it a chance at all.
>>
>>730400098
fantastic series. the audio books are awesome too
>>
>>730403247
>the hasty dismissal of the chick-targeted novels is why you dipshits never get laid.

This is true.
Read Twilight and fifty shades of gray 20 times, now I'm swimming in pussy
>>
>>730389554
Is that the book where the dude got stuck in a forest looking at a leaf for like 3 years?
>>
>>730402543
Odin's left nut how did you wade through this woman's work? I tried to read the assassin's apprentice, made it about 1/3 of the way through the second book, and you can identify a single fucking page where you know the remainder of the series is a long slow slide down the shitter. The entire series is about this little bastard getting his life ruined.
>>
>>730404046
>Odin's left nut
I'm stealing this
>>
File: omg.jpg (14KB, 176x279px) Image search: [Google]
omg.jpg
14KB, 176x279px
>>730403557
>>730403557
>Read Twilight and fifty shades of gray 20 times
>>
>>730404046
That's the problem bro. She always has a slow beginning. You have to power through that to get to the hot stuff.

I remember reading Liveship Traders and wanting to blow my fucking head off. Now it's one of my favorite trilogies too.

The only trilogy that is not worth it to me is the Rain Wild Chronicles.
>>
>>730404046
Oh, but you better finish that first Trilogy. I'm telling you it's worth it.
>>
>>730381883
Solid books
>>
>>730404046
>the entire series is about this little bastard getting his life ruined
The crazy part about it, is that it really isn't about old no name. He's just a catalyst.

The true story is a secret.
>>
>>730403557
>>730404199
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK1q2uVTrJk
>>
>>730381587
fucking ay
>>
File: a50f147583dbd5787c3bc6163af4f97e.jpg (390KB, 709x1063px) Image search: [Google]
a50f147583dbd5787c3bc6163af4f97e.jpg
390KB, 709x1063px
Book itself is quite good, way better than the movie to use the old cliché. Anakin is a deep character being bombarded by many things in this episode/book. He has visions of his mother in peril, he sees a woman he had a crush on as a kid and develops strong attractions to her as a result when he sees her again. He doesn't know how to deal with it, probably never taught much besides bury it deep within and ignore it. His master (Obi-Wan) holds him back out of fear and resentment for Anakin's abilities. His fellow Jedi resent him, and fear him. Especially the council. The only people he can seem to trust is Palpatine, the Sith Lord who is grooming him to be Vader and to trust him implicitly, and Padmé, the woman he is completely head over heels over which develop further as she is the second person he has ever let out his frustration to. The people he is supposed to trust, push him away. Then his mother dies, and he commits an act of genocide, so not only is he falling in love, forbidden by the Jedi, but he commits an act of heinous and brutal hate and violence. Then his arm is cut off, and he fights a war. Episode iii is a completely different story (pun intended) but it is a crime of how poorly represented he is in the movie.
>>
>>730381747
find out next time in the next episode of Dragon ball z
>>
File: giggelgiggelLOLXD.jpg (133KB, 591x397px) Image search: [Google]
giggelgiggelLOLXD.jpg
133KB, 591x397px
>>730405092
>star wars
>>
File: into thin air.jpg (10KB, 187x270px) Image search: [Google]
into thin air.jpg
10KB, 187x270px
This one's fantastic, definitely recommend
>>
>>730404906
Damn, that's amazing. Great impression
>>
>>730380711

I like patrick rothfuss, i love kvote and the kingkiller chronicles but i can't take out of my mind that he's a liberal cuck.
>>
>>730380711
The second book is even better, can't wait for the third
>>
>>730402885
This. Along with Words of Radiance, the best fantasy books i've read in recent memory.
>>
>>730390842
>>730390611
If I wanted to read the Black Company and other books from this, where do I begin?
>>
>>730386333
It's alright, nothing special. >>730385108
is pretty on the money. Its got a few interesting ideas/subplots but it almost seems like a novelization of an episodic tv show. Also it has this weird mix of high and low diction I found outputting.
>not the greatest book by any means but worth a read if you got time.
>>
>>730406355
Words of Radiance was way better than the first. My favorite line was "Honor is dead. But I'll go see what I can do."
>>
This was one of the better threads. I'm glad I got to see it. I love books.
>>
>>730407299
no need to stop now broski, we can go all night, just keep her bumped
>>
File: TheRedKnight.jpg (137KB, 312x475px) Image search: [Google]
TheRedKnight.jpg
137KB, 312x475px
This series is decent, I'm slowly listening to the third book at the moment. If you love fantasy/medieval combat I'd check it out.
>>
>>730406978
Yeah I'm really excited to see where he takes the next book, considering the first two were essentially one big arc. The waiting is killing me
>>
>>730380711
I am having trouble staying interested in this book...halfway through and still.

I just read like all of Brandon Sanderson's books and I love how every story is in the same "cosmere".
>>
>>730408521
i guess it's probably not for everyone, like some dude said earlier in the thread, it's a little "childish" of a book, but i think that's what i like about it
>>
>>730400098
Dresden Files are fucking awesome! When is peace talks coming out?
>>
>>literature lurkers
>>bunch of fantasy sci/fi pop novels

read, like, actual books
>>
File: images.jpg (113KB, 715x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
113KB, 715x1080px
>>730400098
This book is also great
>>
>>730409496
I like the concept so far if that makes any sense. I think maybe it just had a slow start. He just is starting to duel for money for me, seems to be picking up. I really want to enjoy it, need a good series!
>>
>>730401417
I was looking at this, good it's good eh I have to check it out hope you don't have shitty taste
>>
>>730410752
looks to be good lore in this one. gonna have to pick it up
>>
>>730411697
I just got done with it the other day, butcher is really good at creating relatable characters that feel real, though he does use the dues ex Mancha a bit much, something has to come save the day in a dire situation.
>>
>>
>>730412264
the title alone has me quite interested
>>
>>730412991
This book is what blade runner is based off of
Thread posts: 223
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.