[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been given an impossible choice. My alcoholic uncle

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

I've been given an impossible choice. My alcoholic uncle needs a liver transplant and I'm the only compatible donor in my family. Needless to say he won't get one from a stranger because of the alcoholism. He's a rich guy but has the shittiest personality I've ever seen, I hated him since I can remember, we even almost fist fighted in the past. Now, from this side of the family everyone but my mom and grandma is dead. If I do choose to give part of my liver I'll undergo a second major surgery in my life and duh, will have to lose part of my liver. The motherfucker would live until killing my part of the liver and I may or may not get a big inheritance(remember, he's a shitty guy on a whole other level). If I decline, my grandma will lose her 3rd kid in her lifetime, mofo dies and this side of my family that is the rich one will either consciously or subconsciously hate me for "killing" my uncle, so I'll have to get completely independent money wise and won't have any inheritance or loans at all probably(I have a brother, he'll get everything).

I'm weighing the pros and cons non-stop and it's driving me crazy, any help to decide?
>>
cool
>>
Don't think on the money.
>>
You only get one chance to tell people to fuck off.
Tell him to fuck off. Watch him die. Go make yourself on your own merits.
>>
>>728895435
Do it, cause it shows how good a person you are

If you dont believe in god, or cant spin a story to get laid, then this route isnt for you
>>
>>728895435

Interesting situation.

What's your relationship with your brother like?

How's your relationship with your mum?

How's your mums relationship with your uncle?

The advice I would give you is maybe talk to a psychologist about it. I know - seems weird. But they have lots of experience in dealing with these weird interpersonal issues and, believe me, it can really help you find a decision you're comfortable with, especially when it's currently driving you nuts.
>>
>>728895435
watching people you hate die is far more satisfying than anything money can buy you. trust me.
>>
>>728895435
if i was in your situation i would just straight up tell him to pay me a shit load of money if he wants to live
>>
>>728895757
My brother is kind of antisocial, child prodigy but really poor on relations. I.e he has an internship for CERN and didn't even tell me about it.
My mother has depression and we're kinda cold because of how overshaded I am by my brother. She does love me and provide for me though.
I'm not sure how my mom sees my uncle, I'm pretty sure she hates the guy but does aknowledge he's her brother and she should care for him. I dislike psychologists but I might give it a try.
>>
if you decline hes probably gona kill you
>>
>>728895435
Just do it ya cunt. Imagine if the rolls were reversed and you were gonna die.
He may be shitty, but he's still family.
>>
>>728895791
If there were no consequences for my actions I'd gladly give him a huge talk on how much of a piece of shit he is and I'd enjoy watchig him die. The world is way better off without him. Unfortunately actions do have consequences.
>>
Do it for grandma. And because you can. That won't kill you.
>>
>>728895435
If he was a piece of shit, why did you get tested to see if you were compatible?
>>
>>728895435
Here's what you do:

You tell him you agree. Then, when he's ecstatic because he thinks you'll save his life, you run the fucker over anonymously. Everybody will think you're a hero and fate just has a cruel sense of irony. win-win
>>
>>728896196
family isn't blood, anon
>>
>>728896400
Because I haven't made up my mind yet. I wouldn't get tested if there were no cons to letting him die.
>>
don't do it, faggot. imagine he keeps being jerk and asshole to you. won't you get furious and mad because of that?
>>
Buy him a bottle of Jameson and an economy size jug of Tylenol
>>
>>728896510
There is a chance I'd try to kill him if he did. Even if he suddenly became a saint I'd still hate him.
>>
>>728896123

Mmm interesting.

It is a really difficult situation.

Some psychologists are shit, like people in any profession, If you don't click with one, I'd really urge you to try one more.

They're really the only sort of people that have experience (other than ethicists) who know how to deal well with this sort of shit.

I am reluctant to offer you any advice because I have not been in a situation and do not have that sort of relationship with my family.

All I can do is to tell you to talk this over with people you feel comfortable with (friends, family members, health professionals) etc. Weighing up pros and cons can only get you so far. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' decision. Whichever decision you make will be ok.

Good luck! A stranger thousands of kms away is thinking of you.
>>
>>728895435
I personally wouldn't do it. Fuck him. If he's an asshole and an alcoholic, he doesn't deserve another liver.

>wont get inheritance

Stop being a fucking sponge and get a job.
>>
>>728895435
Doesnt sound worth it. Hes had his chance and he blew it, why let him take you down too?
>>
>>728895435
Do you love your mother?
Do you love your brother?
So does she asshole. Give him the organ.
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 300x168px
>>728895791
>>
I personally wouldn't. He's an alcoholic, he did this to himself. Why would you have to suffer for it?

It would be a different story if he was actually a good person underneath his alcoholicism, but he isn't. So fuck him.
>>
>>728895435
do it, this is once in a lifetime thing, anon
rise above and become better than him, show him that the only reason he is alive is because of you
this is chance to truly save a life
>>
>>728896553
So youd shorten your life and if he is still himself or gets worse which usually happens when alcoholics stop drinking you would also throw your freedom away and go to jail?
>>
>>728895435
>>728895435
Just talk to him and make sure u get a by inheritance
>>
>>728897123
Some lives are worth saving more than others.

An alcoholic shithead uncle?

No thanks.
>>
>>728895939
This, where's the like botton.
>>
>>728895939
Agreed
>>
>>728895658
this
>>
Troll thread. Livers for transplant don't come from living donors.
>>
tbh op i would save that half of your liver for some poor cunt who does deserve it
>>
>>728897276
the word tarded gets thrown around a lot...
>>
>>728895435
Do it and tell him you want to get a fat stack of cash in return. If he says no, tell him to fuck off. If he says yes, ball out
>>
as a recovering alcoholic im not quite sure

has he made any sort of indication that he wants to turn his life around, given the chance?
>>
>>728897123
this op. he will be your bitch after this operation, and may even lick the shit you walk on op x
>>
>>728895435

I did not read what people told before but here's my opinion.

Do it. Liver regenerates itself, even if I don't know in how many times it takes. You'll have to cut off alcohol for a while and be off work/school too, so think about that. I don't really care about the emotionnal pain that his death may brings but I can say in the long term you may win more than you could lose by not doing anything.

It's a bet, and not the worst one.
There's always a chance of reject even if you're compatible, your mom and grandma won't hate you for trying.

The only big con I can see is that motherfucker will probably go back to alcoholism as fast as he may, you could still talk to him and ask some guaratees or shit, but alcoholics stay alcoholic in most times.

So yeah, except if you plan to kill your whole family after to avoid the shit tons of shit they would bring, do it.

Your conscience will be appeased, if he's still a motherfucker there will be ways to make him pay (I think you could declare it unresponsible for his actions at this state, he is a danger for himself but I'm no lawyer.)

And if the money goes to your brother or another member of family, people tend to remember that kind of generous act, especially if kindness runs in the family.

Anyway it's not 100% foolproof, it's a bet.
But I guarantee less shit will happen if you do it.

You have more datas than us so still take some times to think that calmly. And drink a beer for us before D-Day.
>>
>>728897276
Actually they do it. It's called living donor liver transplant and the liver has a higher success rate of getting accepted by the new body. The liver regrows to its full size in both people.
>>
>>728895435

Don't do it.

1-It is a major surgery and something could go wrong. Your life is the most important thing for you.

2-He is a bad person and you don't like him. Your grandma will deal with his death. He is an alchoilc he did this to himself.

3-Even if you do it and everithing go well, you could still get anything. And every well done major surgery even if done perfectly has some side effects

My 2 cents
>>
File: alcoholic.jpg (19KB, 400x435px) Image search: [Google]
alcoholic.jpg
19KB, 400x435px
>>728895435
Tell him you'll do it, but only for a guarantee of some inheritance money.

What you want to avoid is: you donate your liver, but then when he dies you find out that he didn't leave you anything anyway. That would be the worst possible outcome.
>>
File: 11c.png (32KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
11c.png
32KB, 501x585px
Tell him he is an alcoholic and he doesn't deserve another chance since he won't stop drinking anyway
>>
>>728897642
lol sure. just like if i cut my arm it grows back too, right?
>>
>>728897782
yeah, you should try it
>>
>>728897782

Livers do grow back, try picking up a biology textbook at some point.
>>
>>728897626
He's preety high on the law hiererarchy, that's how he got rich. He's corrupt toe to head. I'm not legally getting out of this. My conscience would be better if he died. I would let a guy that sends innocent people in jail for personal gain live.
>>
>>728897626

This is solid advise.

Choose for your conscience and family. It's what you have to live with for years to come.

If he's really that rich. You could also straight up ask for money. For expenses and damage done to yourself.

If this'd happen you'd win in all ways possible. Clear conscience, good act for your familiy. Some money to get by. Maybe even an increased inheritance.
>>
>>728897660
edit

if you really need the money and go for it at least before the surgery do a written contract who specifies the amount of money he will give you. so you are sure to get something.
>>
>>728895435
OP,

Despite what liberal faggots spout on TV, alcoholism is not a disease. It is a choice.

Cancer is a disease. Sarcoidosis is a disease. People don't ask or choose to get cancer or sarcoid.

Your uncle chose to drank, asked for the drinks, and now has to face the consequences of slamming back half a dozen rum runners everyday on lunch hour.

Unless you feel obligated to absolve him of his self-imposed consequences from life choices HE and HE ALONE made, you owe him nothing.

Organ transplant (in your case removal) is major surgery and a very long list of things could go wrong during and after the procedure, especially if you aren't the healthiest person around.

tl;dr : Unless that inheritance is a sure thing, fuck him. Life with one liver is manageable, but it isn't an insignificant change either.
>>
>>728895435
Something doesnt fit here, you are telling us that he is rich and powerful man, yet he cant find himself a donor?
>>
>>728897782

Try googling some stuff if you don't know.
It's the one regenerative thing we have on our bodies if I recall correctly.
>>
>>728895939
This is where i thought the thread was going when i started reading.

Time to extort that mofo for all hes got
>>
>>728898156
Humans only have a single liver to begin with. You're thinking kidneys.
>>
>>728897968
Then consider the following: this guy may put some pressure on you with his corrupted friends.

You can still do the good thing, and like I said, a reject can happen.

Also having a family member in the law side must have pro at some point of your life.

Anyway if you're not already independant financially and can not go off your family you may want to keep them on your side.
>>
>>728898175
Transplant committees automatically reject alcoholics. They're right up there with suicidals and HIV patients.
>>
>>728898312
I'm tending to think that the rational choice is to give him the liver, even if I remove all the reasons like being a good person, saving lives, thinking of my family's mental wellbeing etc. There is a chance he might fuck me over though.
>>
>>728898736

I said nothing about good or bad stuff, I'm just focusing on what would be best for you and only you.
How might he fuck you over ? The money thing or you have other concerns ? Hard to say without knowing the guy for sure. But like I said, there always are ways to make him pay after if needed.
>>
>>728896123
so you hated you're uncle your whole life, your mom is cold to you, your brother is antisocial, everyone on that side of your family is dead but your mom and grandma and you aren't sure if you would even get the money if you would agree to help

they can go fuck themselves, don't be a doormat just because of some money which you can earn yourself
>>
>>728899014
Giving part of my liver to a shitty guy and getting nothing in return(gratitude included, not only money) is a case of getting fucked over in my book.
>>
File: 1393445755587.gif (1022KB, 240x193px) Image search: [Google]
1393445755587.gif
1022KB, 240x193px
It seems from reading this thread you don't like your family, and the only reason you would do this is because you would MAYBE get money.

Ask your uncle to cut you a check for whatever amount is fair to you immediately before the transplant, and never speak to him again once its over.
>>
>>728898156
scientology much
>>
>>728899465
Well, in the end the choice can be resumed that way:

either you chose to see the big picture and how it may affects you in the longterm, or the small one and the immediate benefit of his death.

I already give my opinion but like I said, liver regenerates itself so at least you're lucky on that.

Since I don't know what do you do for a living or how you are with your close relatives I just hope it will be okay for you to take some days off (consider a few weeks for total recovery).
>>
You can do something simple, do a contract, you want money, or he stop drinking, or what you want, then, when he accept the contract, make the donation.
>>
>>728895435
First of all. Your liver will grow back to what it was. So you don't have much to lose.

Second, you can make him pay beforehand. Say that you are concerned he won't make through the surgery and ask for some money or a will so you can go through the hard times of the pos surgery.
>>
>>728895435
>rich
>drinking problem

Sounds like a fun bloke, give him your liver.
>>
do it fam
you might get along afterwards and he might even change, idk i don't know him maybe he won't
you'll get brownie points from everybody
your liver will grow back
you might have a cool scar and chicks dig that, especially when you tell them it was from such a "selfless" act
i mean there's lots of potential upsides besides the inheritance, you might feel sore for a while though
>>
>>728896431
I like you, Anon.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.