[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People aren't atheists by default. Something must have happened

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 20

File: 644.jpg (32KB, 620x342px) Image search: [Google]
644.jpg
32KB, 620x342px
People aren't atheists by default. Something must have happened in your life that made you an atheist. Can you tell me what that was?
>>
>>726055542
scientific education
>>
File: neil-degrasse-tyson2.jpg (13KB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
neil-degrasse-tyson2.jpg
13KB, 400x224px
>>
Application of logic and reason.
>>
>>726055542
>People aren't atheists by default.
this is a lie and your whole premise is flawed.
>>
Funny thing is the more I was pushed toward religion, the more I wanted to find flaws in it
>>
>>726057476
I default didn't conceive of a god until I was told one existed then immediately disbelieved, but storyline about that moment I guess
>spend early years reading a lot about mythology; Greek, Norse, Egyptian etc.
>bringing in groceries one day, around 8-9 years old
>drop bag on foot
>exclaim "Jesus Christ!" which I only really thought of as an exclamation towards misfortune
>mom yells at me about saying it
>ask why I can't say it
>anon "you just don't"
>why?
>"cause it's god's name"
>consider my mom stupid for thinking all those stories were real

so yeah >>726057476 is right
>>
>>726058776
reading the various religious texts pushed me away further than I already was.
>>
9th grade biology bro.
>>
>>726058932

same here
Going to church every sunday as a teen is what made me stop being religious. I realized that every time I questioned something the church members just got frustrated. They wanted to shut down questioning.
>>
Nigga every sentient creature is born atheist. As an infant, the closest thing we have as a concept of God is our mother. Like any detailed concept, "God" has to be taught.
>>
File: drummer cocaine.gif (2MB, 320x227px) Image search: [Google]
drummer cocaine.gif
2MB, 320x227px
>>726055542
turned 6 years old
santa wasn't real either go figure
>>
>>726055542
Not being born with a mental disability
>>
>>726059149
Same with religious schools. You challenge a science teacher and they explain what they know, you challenge a religion teacher and they shut down the conversation
>>
>>726055542
>grow up around a bunch of Christians
>notice they never really follow the shit they talk about
>notice they hate others for their religion
>notice other religious people do the same
>Man this shit is stupid
and that's how I stopped giving two fucks about the bastardized concept called modern religion.

Honestly it just seems like a way for adults to bully children into acting how they want and nothing more. Like telling children if they're not good Santa won't bring them presents.
>>
>>726055542
I read the Bible as a teen and deduced from just basic common sense that it was utter fucking bullshit.

Believing the Bible is literally the same as believing in Santa or watching Jurassic Park and believing there is a dinosaur park on an island halfway across the world.
>>
>>726059149
That's the saddest part, really. You can obviously never get honest numbers, but there are loads of 'religious' people who realize too late that it's bullshit, but are too proud or too stubborn to quit. They shut down logical questions from younger people because they know damn well that there aren't good answers.
>>
>>726055542
>Something must have happened in your life that made you an atheist
like being born
>>
>>726059149
contrary to what the church folks say, the bible does not have "all the answers". they get really upset if you expose that. happened here too.
>>
>>726055542
I was born.
>>
>>726059421
Whoa now, let's not get Jurrasic Park involved here. I want to believe...
>>
>>726059607
>I want to believe...
Religion in a nutshell
>>
>>726055542
Yeah I was born into a cold, cruel world where God doesnt exist and the scariest thing is that no one is actually in charge
>>
>>726055542
I was raped by a priest
>>
Can someone save me some research and give me the quick rundown of why faithful people decided that a bunch of old records and stories was their one true religion? I always feel like I'm missing part of the logic.
>>
My parents never took me to a church or spoke to me at all about religion. And I didn't turn out religious. People are religious because they teach you that shit when you still believe in fairy tales and by the time you reach the age of reason most people don't have the courage to admit everything they've believed is wrong.
>>
>>726059920
I rapped with a priest.
>>
>>726055542
Education
>>
>>726059938
>logic
>religion
pick only one
>>
File: 1271457872714.png (111KB, 247x248px) Image search: [Google]
1271457872714.png
111KB, 247x248px
>>726055542
I became happy after leaving behind the people of the religion I was born into.

According to them I could only be happy by following god. I'm happier now than I ever was with them.

I still haven't been smote.

If you want the exact event, it wasn't a single thing, it was a full decade of depression cause by their guilt tripping teachings.
>>
>>726059607
>>
>>726059964
Pure indoctrination, they are more than happy to consider themselves superior to those who "have no faith" or "lost their way"
>>
File: 1311504245841.jpg (32KB, 550x459px) Image search: [Google]
1311504245841.jpg
32KB, 550x459px
>>726060025
my nigga!
>>
>>726059938
not sure why they do that, but the funny thing to me is that both the bible's new testament and the quron are based on the torah. Those fuckers can't even agree on which version of the same religion is true. Christians are the worse about this, which is why they have so many denominations.. they can't agree on what the bible says or how to interpret it.
>>
>>726059421
No it's not. Jurassic Park is way more believable.
>>
>>726055542
If God isn't real then why is there thousands of people who had near death experiences and said they went to heaven? Or on dmt.
>>
>>726055542
>>726055542
People aren't religious by default. Despite what religion teachers may have you believe.
>be 24 yo me about 8 years ago
>private Catholic grade/high school
>last year of college
>decidedto kill myself over some faggot girl
>think to myself if God is real hellsave me or some shit
>had been debating and was actually scared shit to denounce God etc
>occams razor only thing holding me to religion at this point
>massive /b/tard think this place is what made me start to question things due to logic
>drink an entire case of beer and start driving
>I remember going 140mph on a downhill highway that leads into the big city intersection
>get to lights, going so fast
>instinct kicked in and somehow I swerve into a narrow driveway into a business parking lot tires screeching etc
>pass out in parking lot
>remember waking up hours later and thinking how fucking dumb it would have been to say God did that
>was my bad decision and physics could have accounted for how I actually survived by "miraculous" odds
>next day I remember just not giving a shit anymore
>still favor science over religion and am a big believer in "I don't know" what's out there, but to say a higher power with out any tangible evidence is asinine.
>>
>>726060533
That shit just seems exhausting.
>>
>>726060617
The odd thing about that is that the bible doesn't mention anything about an after life. The closet thing is Sheol.
>>
>>726059938

See

>>726060432

Being a Costco member has its perks not only in the store but you can get discounts and benefits at certain affiliated businesses as well simply because you're a Costco member.

Religion often works the same way. Members of a church give other members benefits that non-members don't receive. This extends from the local to the federal level and always has since the beginning of religion in human history.
>>
>>726060617
Misinterpretation, people take what they want from a situation.

One man sees a child's balloon that floated away into the distance, another man sees a ufo and starts preparing for an alien uprising.
>>
>>726059938
from being combative in the 4 years of Catholic theology class I was forced to attend the closest thing I got to a solid answer on this was as part of an explanation on why Protestants were silly, basically since Protestants view the bible above any church and the Catholic Church established the bible as we know it the authority can't come from the bible, since it was established by men, but it also can since they were guided by the Holy Spirit

for most other religions I'd gather its a similar combination of tradition + "guided" by whatever deity + it was just decided at some point
>>
>>726060617
Because people tend to :
-exaggerate
-lack knowledge of how the brain shuts down
-straight up lie
>>
science and never witnessed an "act of god"i used to pray but none of that shit ever happened. also, religious freaks are crazy
>>
>>726060705
Cool story. Fun to visualize.
>>
>>726059938
Its not like a race or bunch of people looked at a bunch of old scriptures and picked up religion. It's been going since the sands of time. Some stories of the Bible, while most are untrue (miracles), could have been very truem

Soddahm and gommora(sp?) were real cities. People were animals back then. Governments of the time saw religion as a tool as its always been. Keeping the higher borns in power and taking from the lower.

Its been going on for years and won't be gone in our lifetime. It's exploits have made so many rich and has done some good in terms of stemming laws from commandments and keeping people in line.

Its a lot bigger than you're thinking. There's no one person who can teach you this. You must research.
>>
Eddie Izard stand up made me question
>>
File: SeOnW.jpg (22KB, 424x417px) Image search: [Google]
SeOnW.jpg
22KB, 424x417px
>>726061187
It's strange how as scientific knowledge has advanced, gods miracles get less and less impressive
>>
>>726061058
To many people have had these experiences for that statement to be true
>>
>>726061032
Yeah, I sort of assumed it was simply me of those things where it's such a huge institutionalized thing now that nobody involved really questions the origins all that much. Like, my grandpa is religious but he basically just does what his reverend suggests and doesn't question it.
>>
>>726061406
how did they know they were in heaven? have they visited it before?
>>
>>726061406
Thousands of people believe elvis is still alive. By your logic that means it is true.

Kill yourself
>>
>>726061013
>>726061058
Try dmt. God can't be proven or disproved. The universe is connected somehow and maybe "god" isn't an entity, but a particle in everything.
>>
>>726061239
Yeah but I said that I don't want to research!
>>
>>726061607
There's a difference between people who have experienced something rather than people who think Elvis is real because they saw a person who looked like him in a grocery store
>>
Why are atheists closedminded, ignorant knowitalls? They don't even understand spirituality, which is different from religion.
>>
>>726061618
>particle in everything
That isn't a god based on religion then, because then it would involve science. christians don't believe in the demonic propaganda like particles or science.
>>
>>726061574
Could be them assuming of what they believe is heaven or hell.
>>
>>726061759
My heart stopped when I was in emergency surgery. I had some crazy fucking dreams that seemed like they lasted for days, but I'm not deluded enough to think I saw heaven.

But I can understand how people could have a super intense near death experience. Doesn't mean what they saw was real.
>>
>>726055542
I'm pretty sure people have to feed you a bunch of lies before you believe you are some giant-toddler-in-the-sky's play thing
>>
>>726061618
Maybe God is a giant bobcat that resides in the Bermuda triangle and consumes travelers that come too close.

As the group with the less believable stories and lack of evidence, it is up to the religious to either prove their god exists or keep their beliefs to themselves.
>>
>>726061678
The simplest answer to your original question would probably be, power.

You want to know how it all came to be? Or why people continued believing in these, what we can now thankfully debate, crazy teachings?

It came to be when people wanted answers to questions unknown. Simplest answer to the latter question is family tradition mostly oral in the beginning and just passing it on. Questioning it 500 years ago meant death, violently. So it kind of got engraved into society.
>>
>>726061406
Again, no they haven't.

You are relying on the same thing that disproves it. All of these near-death fags "see the same thing" yes, but it's not because they all go to the same place. It's because humans all have the exact same organ in their skull, and when it starts to shut down, the signals are the same for everyone. A tunnel, moving toward the light, etc... It's all your brain doing what it does.
>>
>>726061370

Not really. The story of original sin has Adam and Eve living in God's false paradise so long as they remain blissfully ignorant. Satan sets them on the path to learning the truth of the world which means to gain knowledge of it. Adam and Eve are awakened to the truth that the world is actually a cold, harsh place where every day is a struggle to survive. They find out that God lied to them.
>>
>>726061759
Hahaha yeah. Why would multiple people lie after literally almost dying? They wouldn't.
>>
>>726061903
Most aren't. It's the idiot atheists that are like that. The ones who think it's cool. Just like religion has its zealots. We too have ours. Ironic imo.
>>
>>726061903
because being too open minded just makes your brain fall out

There is zero evidence for a deity or an afterlife. It is faith based. Faith is belief in something for which there is no evidence.

Do you know what else is belief in something for which there is no evidence? Delusion...

A delusional person is somebody who believes in something for which there is no evidence.
>>
>>726061618
See this is where the bullshit starts.
As soon as it's obvious that the literal god of the bible is just plain silly and impossible, people start to make him more and more acstract to save some grace.
He goes from the man in the sky to 'some entitiy that lives in every particle'. What is that even supposed to mean? It's just some wishy-washy pseudo-spiritual bullshit.
If you have to remove 'god' from every and any tangible way of witnissing him, you've lready lost the debate.
>>
>>726061903
Loads of atheists are spiritual, what are you talking about?
>>
No one's any religion by default. Don't be stupid.
>>
>>726061678
Oo also, the idea of hell to a layman is scary as fuck. I struggled with it for years and finally let go. He'll had me so scared, taught year after formative year, that I'm technically immortal, and would burn for eternity ONLY if I renounced God, kept me in for years. It was basically the only thing you couldn't go to confession and be absolved of. Even murder you can get into heaven.

I think the idea of hell is the most brilliant social invention of all eternity so far. I guess you could call it the greatest con of all time too, though. Brilliant none the less for keeping people in.
>>
>>726058892
>Going to church every sunday as a teen is wh
So you dont even praise the Zeus bro?
>>
>>726058892
>Going to church every sunday as a teen is wh
So you dont even praise the Zeus bro? Wtf?
>>
>>726061903
That is the "strong atheist" who actively believe there is no god. But they have a belief and turn it into their religion. It's the weak atheists and agnostics who actually lack a belief, and also are less likely to be pushy or annoying about it.
>>
>>726062169
This is why I have given up debating religious people. It is a waste of time. I just skip to the question:
>Is there anything that could ever shake your faith in god or make you question his existence?
If they say no then I'm done. I would rather pull my teeth with a pair of pliers than try to have a discussion with people like that.
>>
>>726061983
Kek.
You're really unopen in believing anything, even in everyday life I can tell.
>>
>>726062025
Their experiences can be different. No one even said anything about the "light at the end of the tunnel" meme
>>
>>726055542
Yes they are. All religion is taught. Dipshit.
>>
>>726055542
God told me he didn't exist so I became atheist
>>
>>726062020
Yeah okay, that makes a lot of sense. Essentially Christianity really had to take hold when they did and become as powerful as possible, or else they would never have been the forced they are now once the masses learned to read and write and question authority.

Good work, Christians, I guess?
>>
>>726061406
>7 billion people
>+all other people who have ever lived
>depictions of the afterlife have a lot in common with one another
>thoughts about death including the afterlife can reasonably be assumed to flood ones mind before any near death experience
>wishful thinking
>hallucination is a thing that happens
>improbable things happen

given that scale, prevalence and similairty of afterlife myths and imagery, likely state of mind before the afterlife vision, and that improbable things happen it is actually entirely possible that a god doesn't exist and the brain can see create images resembling an afterlife to fill lost time
>>
>>726055542

uh, you got that backwards there chief.
>>
>>726062080
they don't know that they are lying, it's their brain that is lying to them. Religious people often use their beliefs to fill in the blanks of what they don't understand. What if somebody who was an atheist had the same experience?
>>
>>726061406
That same reasoning can be used to justify alien abductions and the chupacabra. People lie, people have delusions, it's just a fact of life.
>>
>>726055542
>be me
>mom doesn't take us to church growing up
>go to church with gram when staying with her
>older sister starts going more often
>older sister gets confirmed
>have religious gf
>have religious friends
>talk WITH them
>think about it
>but science
>maybe there is room for both
>attend private lutheran college
>have to study many religions
>all while getting STEM degree
>make up mind

Honestly, I'm closer to a nihilist at this point. But I feel like a entertained the idea well enough. I even used to go to all my friends' churches with them. I think the communities they form are generally positive and supportive of their communities.

I even worked for a faith-based company for some years.

But I can't bring myself to believe anything, especially the idea that we would be able to know anything about it even a little (if it did somehow exist). It doesn't float well with me.
>>
Just started thinking
>>
>>726062523
Or people are just afraid of death and the idea that you can continue to live after you die is an idea idiots worldwide find appealing.
>>
GOD CAN NOT BE PROVEN OR DISPROVED.

/THREAD
>>
>>726062430
That's cool man. I was a Catholic four years until I realised it essentially disproves itself, but you just keep being superior.
>>
>>726062511
It really is impressive. They still are a major power in the world. You're dead on with knowledge. The knowledge age will eventually kill it all.
>>
>>726062449
The retardation of this post is astonishing.
>>
>>726062080
It's not as black and white as that. These people will embellish or exaggerate for any number of reasons. It can be comforting to the rest of your family to say "heaven is real" or "I saw grandma".

Also, people love the fucking spotlight. If you almost die, you are suddenly a bit more interesting, so you make shit up to get more attention.
>>
>>726062697

What's your point? You can't prove or disprove that an omnipotent zombie kitten golem doesn't live on Mars and rules over us telepathically with his magic artichoke either.
>>
>>726055542
you're literally born with no knowledge of a god until you're told or taught that one exists.
>>
File: bait-children_this_is_bait.jpg (45KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bait-children_this_is_bait.jpg
45KB, 1000x1000px
>>726055542
>>
>>726062135
If there's no afterlife then how do ghosts exist? Don't say they're not real. I've seen 5.
>>
>>726055542
We're all born agnostic. Not athiest.
>>
>>726062597
You didn't read my post at all.
>>
>>726062169
God is midichlorians.
>>
>>726062883
The point is what's the use in arguing for centuries when no one will ever be definitively right or wrong
>>
>>726062430
some people don't need to believe in random things. those people ask questions and observe tangible results. arguing with somebody who only has their belief to rely on for answers is not a productive argument at all.
>>
>>726055542
>first time i heard mention of gods was 2nd grade
>me and brother were at good friends house, hung out weekly
>having fun making forts, nerf fights, video games fighting with sticks in the yard
>start drawing stuff like megaman and streetfighter, make shitty but fun drawings
>friend suggests we draw god
>brother and I ask what god is, having never heard of it before
>friend says his drawing will explain as he draws god
>few minutes later he shows us the drawing
>drawing is a cloud high in the sky with big googly eyes
>brother and I burst out laughing because its a cloud with eyes and is extremely silly
>last time we ever hung out with kid again, turns out parents were heavily into their religion and probably didn't want us getting her son to question their propaganda

Looking back its kind of beautiful how the friend believed whatever his parents told him to believe and whereas our parents never discussed anything religious and our first reaction to a god was how silly it was.
>>
>>726062523
The only thing similar "afterlife images" during near death experiences etc. proves is that people read or heard of other experiences and saw them as their own.

And/or the mind sees "white" or tunneling when passing in and out of consciousness sometimes. We are all related through homo-sapien afterall. Meaning similar minds.
>>
>>726062943
Did they float through your room and moaned 'woooooohoooooohoooooo'?
>>
>>726055542
The advent of modern scientific study, application, and presentation, along with religion doing a terrible job at keeping me convinced that religion is correct
>>
>>726061406
How does one see if one is not in their physical body?

The only reason we have a field of view, and the only reason we even see the colors we see are all due to physical attributes of our body. How to you see without eyes? Why would you only be limited to the colors our eyes can pick up?

Birds can see in ultraviolet which reveals an entire new world of colors to them. Hawks can see mouse urine because it glows in UV light.

Our of body near death experiences are just a hallucination. If somebody was a "spirit" they wouldn't see the world as a physical being sees the world because they don't have physical things like the lens of the eye and the receptors in the eye to perceive the world as they did as a physical human.
>>
File: 55.png (18KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
55.png
18KB, 128x128px
>>
>>726063018
>The point is what's the use in arguing for centuries when no one will ever be definitively right or wrong

I'd say the people who are right in their thinking are the ones who don't make wild leaps of faith to believe in magical sky wizards or zombie kitten golems on mars.
>>
>>726055542
I was atheist from the start, my dad usually had science shows playing on the tv a lot when I was younger so I guess that ended up outweighing church
>>
>>726062943
they're not real
you are just a faggot who was too dumb to comprehend what you saw
>>
I would just have a look at s.n,a.p.c,h.a.t,y(,)me to fap to local sluts nudes.
>>
Not really sure but, went to a private Christian pre-school but just always hated it there causing me to be opposed to religion maybe
>>
>>726055542
>Raised Catholic
>Read Sam Harris' Letter to a Christian Nation
>Started researching and questioning
>Whole process was about one month
>Was terrified of Hell before, huge relief off my mind (I have some issues with being anxious)
>Now trying to be good enough at talking to people so I can help them disavow their faith (my brother is a deacon and constantly tries to "save" me)
>Currently reading a lot of Peter Boghossian

I have a lot of problems with Peter Boghossian's methodology. Much of what he says (especially in his "A Manual for Creating Atheists" makes him come off as an asshole, in my view.
>>
>>726062697
God has never been proven or even defined. There is a higher likelihood that such an extraordinary claim (that a god exists) will be disproven at some point.
>>
Because i got tired of licking stamps

>Be me, 7 or so y/o
>In sunday school with my little brother, Methodist church
>learning about the significance of easter, complete with visual aids for kids
>little board sheet showing the cave where jesus rose from the dead
>we're supposed to lick the stamps of jesus, his apostles, the boulder, some shrubs, everything, and put them on the board
>I hate the taste after like the third stamp, think that this is bullshit
>"no"
>Sunday school teacher: "what?"
>"No, this isnt fun, im not doing it anymore!"
>My little brother mimics me, as he is aught to do with great enthusiasm
>little bro: "NO!!!"
>Other kids take up the chant
>"no!" "NO!" "Nooo!!!"
>Get kicked out of sunday school for my little rebellion
>Parents were too embarrassed to ever go to church again
>Parents afraid i'll act up again in another church, quit going to church all together

kind of anticlimactic i know, but that's just how it went down
>>
>>726063171
That is also the way I would lean but if I say it then I run the risk of being called ignorant by ignorant people, spurring me to justify myself and thus continuing the cycle
>>
>>726062616
>religious comradare
Very true about the positive communities. This is exactly why I was born Catholic, now atheist, and still don't talk trash or promote atheism. Let people believe what they want. Many loved ones, while it may be easy to look down on them, still believe and I like the community.

Its fucked and the tech era has put us few in a weird position for sure.
>>
>>726062697
Hey thanks for enlightening us. Also don't /thread in your own post you fucking asshole.
>>
>>726063072
Nope. They stood still and disappeared after I looked away.
>>
A lifetime of reading about religion.

Anyone who has studied religion (more than one) and isn't an atheist is a fool or a liar.
>>
>>726063349
god can't be proven or disproved because god also cannot be defined.
>>
>>726062943
I don't know why but this post just made me burst out laughing. I think it was the specific number of ghosts.
>>
>>726060617
Take a heroic dose of LSD and you'll have an epiphany as well
>>
>>726063228
LOL. ok guy.
>>
>>726055542
try science and an open mind. Everyone is agnostic. You don't hate god and become atheist. Hating god would mean that you accept the existence of it. So fuck off OP.
>>
>>726063597
You aren't dead when you take LSD you fucking retard
>>
>>726063018
Because there are people who kill, mistreat, and hurt other people as a direct result of their faith traditions.
>>
>>726063037
It's also intriguing to see how a kids mind works. He was probably told that God is 'watching' from up in heaven, so he assembled that in his brain as a cloud with eyes.
>>
>>726062697
specific gods can possibly be disproven, the concept of "god" obviously can't be as of now

>>726062169
in my experience people who go down this road just want something bigger then themselves to believe in, why they don't default to that thing just being the universe as a whole I'll never know

>>726061903
the loudest atheist voices are currently mostly anti-theists at this point as other anons have mentioned

it's worthwhile to consider that most atheists if intellectually honest will admit they are agnostic-atheists

agnostic being the logical position that we can't be certain if a god exists or doesn't at this point and atheist as a statement of belief; that from personal experience, current evidence, and spiritual questioning they believe that there is not a god
>>
>>726063599
>Thinks ghosts are real
>laughs at other people
>>
>>726063348
Whenever they mention saving you, just remember a brilliant person once thought up the idea of hell and Morons for centuries after that person have been using it as an easy coercion tool.
>>
Went to a church retreat with my cousins. Their church was a little more...extreme than mine. Kids my age were holding their arms up during the sermon with tears in their eyes, sobbing, some kids were speaking in tongues, some kids were writhing on the floor. I looked at my other cousin on the other side of the room (they separated the boys and girls) and we gave each other the "what the fuck did we get ourselves into" look.

The whole time there I was afraid someone would find out I wasn't a diehard christian like they were and kill me in some kind of cultish sacrifice, so I played along
>>
>>726063800
If a person is blind/deluded enough to cause physical and mental distress to people due to religious beliefs, then there is a 0% chance of convincing them that they're not doing the right thing
>>
>>726063349
Anything can be disproven seeing how as science is nothing more than a bunch of theories that try to connect all the pieces together exactly how religion does. I went away from science since it became more of a democracy.
>>
>>726063725
Then you aren't taking enough, pussy.
>>
>>726063353
Amazing if true. I lold
>>
>>726055542
There was never a single point for me. I remember sitting in church as early as the age of 8. I would hear a sermon, and there was a myriad of questions that would pop into my head because of simple logical contradictions that didn't make any sense. Because I was young and wanted to follow in the footsteps of people I looked up to, I always told myself that it didn't matter, that it was somehow possible to reconcile. It was the pain of knowing that maybe you didn't believe, that maybe you didn't belong, that really drove me to want to believe. I was afraid of not believing. It wasn't until later in life when I came to accept myself enough to acknowledge my own beliefs, which admittedly was due to separation during college from my family and the pressures therein. They still don't know I consider myself a non-Christian, but I think they suspect. My mother especially is constantly bringing up the topic of me finding a nice local church to attend. I feel like it's only a matter of time before what everyone already knows gets dragged out into the open. I'm afraid I'm going to lose the only family I've ever known.
>>
Niggers, You can't prove the negative if metaphysical...

Religion is answers that must not be questioned; Philosophy is questions that may never be answered...
>>
>>726063590
Because a 12 yr old wrote it. Fucking Kekd hard
>>
>>726063037
your parents sound horrible
>>
>>726063709
Not OP but I really dislike both of the terms. Even Hitchens said that there could be an event that would make him a Christian (i.e. the stars spelling out "Jesus Christ is the savior blah blah" in every language all of the world). But, you would NEVER call him an agnostic. What is different with "atheists" and agnostics is that most have the ability to change their minds if shown proper evidence. The fights between agnostics and atheists are so trivial.
>>
>>726063037
You didn't laugh at the abstract concept of a "god" though. You laughed at a ln absurdist depiction of it
>>
The only pseudo-religion-spiritualism that actually makes any sense is buddhism. Ignoring the Reincarnation and ascensioin bit, buddhism is essentially saying that in order to be happy you need abalance in life (which you do). There are other bits to it, but thats the gist
>>
>>726063349
>>726064028

In science only things for which there is evidence are believed. There is no evidence for God.

Religious people challenge you to debunk God. They have it backwards. Until they can prove God there is no reason to believe it.

Arguments with no supporting evidence can be dismissed without any evidence as well. Trying to debunk all the things for which there are no evidence would be a futile effort to debunk an infinite amount of things.

>Prove there isn't a red unicorn behind saturn who is controlling the universe
>Prove there isn't a blue elephant behind Jupiter that is controlling the universe
>Prove there isn't a purple zebra under the sea controlling the universe
>>
>>726064028
You "went away" from science before you even learned what science is.

Brilliant.
>>
>>726064027
And this is the problem.
>>
>>726063938
Cringed
>>
>>726062588
This.
Everyone with 100% working eyes has literal physical blindspots that the brain fills in with it's own illusions. Our brains misinterpret things and send us the wrong signal ALL the time.
>>
File: spiny.png (4KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
spiny.png
4KB, 256x240px
>>726063866
Agree, his drawing makes sense now. Still, I'd never want my kid to think that the foundation of reality is a partially anthropomorphic cloud.

Too bad his parents were so religious, he was a good friend to hang out with.
>>
>>726055542
Because everyone is christian or muslim to begin with.. because its not like there is a book or something that tells them what to think.. oh wait.. nevermind..
>>
>>726064438
Do you actual believe science is a democracy?
>>
>>726062943
Can you prove it or do I simply have to take it on 'faith'?
>>
>>726057476
this

Personally no one is born with anything but
natural instinct. Everything that you do is a
result of what you were taught, the same as
the way you act. Sure you have your own
personality but that is created by you, depending
on your surroundings.

I dont call myself atheist, nor do I call myself
a religious person either. I believe if there is a
god the teachings could not have been translated
by any man that lives or ever has lived.

I just don't live my life worrying about a closure
that hasn't happened yet, but eventually will,
and you just have to face the fact that
no one knows, and never will.
>>
>>726063978
Non-denominational s are scary shit. Fourth girl I dated had a fucking father as a pastor in one of these. It was the hottest thing every night at my apartment trying to get her to drop her panties. I never did get to fuck her truly. However I did manage to dry hump her legs wide enough once to rub my dick on her pussy. Have never nutted harder in my life since then. Fuck, I should have married her.
>>
>>726064672
You have to take faith in every situation that you are in.
>>
>>726064842
Please elaborate. I would like to understand what you mean by this.
>>
>>726062348
What made you turn away from the idea that hell could exist?
>>
>>726064603
Yeah, I was the last step in a multi-generational decline of faith in my family. Great grandpa was super religious, grandpa a bit less, etc etc. After I was born my parents did the church visit once a year, and they never tried to push it on me.
>>
>>726064405
give some credit to my main man B. Russell you didn't even mention his teapot in your examples
>>
>>726055542

People ARE atheists by default. Or more accurately, they use reason and fact-based evidence to discover truths about the world and universe they are in.

The abnormal beliefs are those that are propagated by word of mouth related to allegories and religious bullshit. No baby believes in Jesus or Mohammed or Vishnu--that shit comes from exploitation of the parents, who at the time are trusted guardian figures.
>>
There is no default on this. It all comes down to the person and their upbringing. Nice try though
>>
>>726064929
How do you feel pain without your body. The dentist can give you a drug that disrupts the communication of your nerves with each other and that lets them drill into your tooth causing an immense amount of pain that never reaches your brain.

So a tiny molecule that disrupts a few nerves can stop all pain, but having no nerves at all still allows you to suffer pain for all eternity?

Seems legit.
>>
File: 1347845270504.jpg (186KB, 674x857px) Image search: [Google]
1347845270504.jpg
186KB, 674x857px
when i prayed and didnt help for shit and bad shit kept getting worse.
>>
>>726064908
You wake up in the morning, you have to have faith that's you won't go outside and get hit by a bus. You go to bed, you have faith that you'll wake up the next morning. Life is all about installing faith into daily activities. So people who believe in God have faith that he is real, and that an afterlife exists.
>>
>>726064350
Being in 2nd grade our philosophical abilities were still limited of course. But his reaction to our laughing showed us he actually believed his depiction was real. I like to think we laughed "with" him because he drew something funny, but he probably thought we were laughing at him and his ideas.

The drawing was silly on its own, sure, but the fact that anyone thought there was some sort of living cloud that had magic was also hilarious and silly.
>>
>>726063948
I would constantly be scared of my thoughts. I would think, "god isn't real", and then another thought would come into my mind, "holy shit God heard that, I am going to go the Hell". This would happen multiple times a day and it really sucked.

Couldn't be happier now though.
>>
>>726065038
You just described science in the exact same way.
>>
>>726055542
simple, religion brings on violence. srl, look at all that shit happening around tha globe. btw, religion is for tha weak, just like smoking and drinking/consuming drugs! C'MON
>>
>>726065179
I use my senses to stay out of harm's way.
I'm quite confident I will wake up in the morning because I am a healthy individual.

There is plenty of evidence that I won't get hit by a bus tomorrow and that I will wake up.

Go fuck yourself, you suck at logic.
>>
>>726064929
Fuck man it was probably 4-5 years while in college and learning so much about truths (proofs in my discrete algebra classes) and basically focusing on other religions and how specific they all were with their gods. All similar in some form or another ultimately stemming from some past single book or story.

For example I looked at the Holy trinity in catholicism. God is the Holy spirit, Jesus, and God all together. I never could get a grasp on how they'd refer to god as the father and then he sent his own son(human) to die when he created the universe, but had to do that to prove to humanity that we were all evil. Fuck it's all so illogical when u really et deep into it.

I guess my major and analytical thinking ultimately got me on the idea of religion. Ultimately booting hell out of possibility.
>>
>>726055542
>people arent athiests by default

are you sure about that
>>
>>726064667
Your question makes no sense dude. Science is based on repeatable results. Learn what he term theory actually means hen applied to science. It dies the mean 'guess', you fag,
>>
>>726065179
Nicely put.
>>
Met a cute Catholic girl and decided.... there must be a god to create a girl that cute. Nahhh just kidding. Still with her, members of the church are happy I'm finally "settling down," and "accepting god," when really I've just gone bored of being so belligerent and I'd rather just take the easy road, be with this girl and go to church every Sunday. Never believed in god, still don't, never will but at times you just don't have to give a fuck... I'm also Catholic so they're infinitely less crazy than Protestants. Seriously, what's wrong with them? Catholics are at least conservative and strange. Protestants scream about demons in video games and how yoga is the work of the devil and all that other silly shit. I can take anti gay, anti abortion, and the stupid anti masturbation shit (Don't follow that, no one talks about it) but that's super fucken tame. So I guess I got lucky. It's easier to not get angry when they're just talking about occasional guidance and then go out and drink until sundown and have sex, then go to confessional the next day.
>>
>>726065446
So you have faith in evidence. You have faith that the evidence that you will get hit by a bus is small.

Can anti-christians have any deep thought whatsoever?
>>
>>726062080
They are simply interpreting their experience through what they've been taught. How many more people have been in near death events and had no experience. How many people have god talk to them inside their padded cell?
>>
>>726065281
/b/ro 19 years of that shit for me. Technically only about 5 or so when I could actually analyze shit, but ya. I feel your past pain more than you know.
>>
>>726064667
PhD holding biochemist here

Science is not a democracy. Science is evidence based. People don't vote on what is the truth or not. They do experiments and the results speak for themselves.
>>
>>726065446
You can't control everything in your life. Especially getting hit by a bus. Jesus Christ...
>>
>>726065539
What you said is what science is supposed to be, what it is, is a democracy of people's feelings. If science is about giving cold hard facts, then it's a waste of time.
>>
>>726065642
Faith, by definition, is the belief in something for which there is no evidence. It's impossible to have faith in evidence because faith requires the lack of evidence.

You are one retarded faggot. At least attempt to understand the words you try to use in your arguments.
>>
>>726065843
lol'd
>>
>>726065760
That's what science is turning into.
>>
>>726065843
Sure you can. Don't walk around like a zombie staring at your smartphone and that will decrease your odds of being hit by a bus by 99%.
>>
>>726065903
This. Why do I get the feeling that it's one close-minded religious person calling everyone else in the thread close-minded?
>>
>>726066052
Do you have and professional experience in science? On what basis do you make this claim. What is your first hand experience in the world of science?
>>
>Be me.
>Be eight.
>find your mother passed out on the ground from having to many pills.
>>
>>726055542
I became an atheist around the age of 9. It was just when I was getting into my passion for science. My parents were very religious, but were kinda lazy and just assumed I was as staunch a kool aid drinker as they were. So when I was looking into the sciences, they never really noticed my drifting away from faith. I didn't tell them until I was in 10th-11th grade though.
>>
>>726066139
Because everyone in this thread is close minded.
>>
>>726065760
Isn't it more about what higher esteemed scientists believe and most other papers getting shot down by them, thus creating clicks in the scientific communities making it hard to do anything.
>>
>>726063725
You aren't dead when you're only near death you fucking retard.
>>
>>726063353
Kinda the same.

>about 7. sleep over at pastors house
>got pissed off about a game of chasey or some shit
>told a kid and the pastor to fuck off
>parents got called, I was devil spawn
>and we never went back to church, ever

Years later watching the news and the pastor was arrest for pedo shit
>>
>>726065642
Your mastubatory attempts at proving to yourself that you are a poet are stupid. Obviously the non-religious are capable of deep thought. In most cases their minds will explore places that a Christian never will.
>>
>>726065899
>If science is about giving cold hard facts, then it's a waste of time.
what is this i don't even
>>
>>726065346

wut?

Look: religious belief is a crutch and a comfort based entirely on fear and exploitation of the poor and naive by the rich.

"God" is your brain tricking you into believing that you are being watched over by a benevolent force so that you can go to sleep. It's a survival trait that evolved over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet

From there, the stars were tracked for the purpose of predicting harvests, rains, etc. and those tracking became allegories of mystical beings' movements for the purposes of teaching the timings to their children.

Newer religions like Christianity are a bastardization built on blood. They took the allegories and made them dogma. They took the ceremonies and made them routine. It was basically nothing but politicians and the rich using the allegorical stories and lies to persuade thought, groom soldiers with a superiority complex and seize power for themselves. Just think of the Jew Kings who policed the Arabic lands by bribing the Romans. It's all the same.

Religion is truth for fools and useful for the rich. It's dangerous bullshit for the thinking man.
>>
>>726066257
No
Sure there are high ranking scientists who try to do this shit from time to time, they are still human and prone to egos. But this is how you lose respect in the community and lose all respect.
>>
>>726065179
Wait. So if you didn't have faith that you wouldn't get hit by a bus would you just sit at home all day or something? Or if you didn't have faith you wouldn't wake up would just stay awake forever?
>>
>>726065903
I don't know what definition you are getting for the word faith but that certainly is not the definition.
>>
>>726066210
That'll do it.
>>
>>726055542
Same reason I stopped believing in Santa.
>>
>>726065446
but i'm the bus driver. i drive by you every morning. you look so cute! maybe give a hard right next time i see you! :) kidding!
>>
>>726066390
>"God" is your brain tricking you into believing that you are being watched over by a benevolent force

God = FBI?
>>
>>726055542
>Raised in a strict Roman Catholic family
>Cross in each room
>Went to religion class in primary school
>Found it shifty
>Dropped out of that class
>Late grandma would drag me to church and sprinkle me with holy water because of it
>There's the devil in you, child
>Noped the fuck out and discovered common sense
>>
>>726066257
>clicks
>>
>>726066448
You clearly don't understand what faith is or means
>>
File: gs2.png (184KB, 414x329px) Image search: [Google]
gs2.png
184KB, 414x329px
>>726055542
Finding out Santa Claus was a lie
>>
>>726066463
What is the definition you use?

Google uses, "complete trust or confidence in someone or something"

I like to use, "when someone is pretending to know something he or she doesn't know"
>>
>>726066619
Because it's irrelevant in our era.
>>
>>726066379
What is science supposed to be than
>>
File: 1446787072066.jpg (717KB, 800x7200px) Image search: [Google]
1446787072066.jpg
717KB, 800x7200px
>>726066463
>definition 1B
> firm belief in something for which there is no proof

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/faith
>>
>>726066379
Fuck I really hope you don't have an important job.
>>
>>726066072
What if the bus driver went unconscious and drove right into you because you were looking the other way?
You can't control everything. If you believe you can then you're literally mentally disabled.
>>
>>726066365
Good job, you avoided ignorance and being raped. Thank god.
>>
I honestly believe that God is (You) in a metaphysical sense.

Life is The Universe experiencing and observing itself.
>>
>>726066749
Well than you're a fucking retard. And very hypocritical
>>
>>726065899
>If science is about giving cold hard facts, then it's a waste of time

Sitting in a climate controlled room
Using a computer operating on semi conductors which can switch millions of times a second
Communicating all the way around the world in fractions of a second over the internet
Probably wearing synthetic fabrics in your clothing somewhere which were engineered using advanced organic chemistry

Yeah, science is bullshit
>>
>>726067018
In a way, yes. We can create and destroy. Life is what you make it.
>>
>>726066751
It can't be irrelevant since we install faith all the time
>>
>>726066869
I don't believe I can control everything. I'm saying there is reason to believe beyond blind faith I won't be hit by a bus tomorrow. I can present logical reasons why I most likely won't be.
>>
>>726067018
thank you
>>
I asked my dad what we believed in he said he didn't believe in anything but that I were free to believe whatever. Directly after he said that I realised how fucking retarded the concept of deity is.

>>726056489
this you gay
>>
File: 20170319_064121.png (103KB, 720x882px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_064121.png
103KB, 720x882px
>>726066463
>"based on spiritual conviction rather than proof"
Definition and interpretation are not the same thing.
>>
>>726065633
>>726065633
woo lad
grats on the lady I guess
but Protestants are not as monolithic as you make them out to be and neither are Catholics

for example:
I had a Catholic theology teacher seriously tell a class that Dadaism was the reason that Roe v. Wade happened and tons of other crazy video-game-demon like conspiracies, and even beyond that all the majority of younger Catholics (young teachers and students) were cool with gays, didn't really think they should interfere with other people getting abortions, and we're not atupid enough to claim the work of their own hand satan's

on the Protestant side:
Unitarian Universalists still sort of count as Protestants and those mfs are chill as fuck
>>
>>726066754
It isn't 'supposed to be' anything. Its one of the only things in our life that doesn't have a hidden agenda. It's a process of discovery based on repeatable processes. Anyone can do any experiment.
>>
>>726064366
every major religion has a few gems that can contribute to daily happiness, proverbs and truisms that people have collected and written into their holy books over the millennia.

The problems is like you say, all the other bullshit that complicate ppls lives, usually by guilt tripping them, ostracizing them, punishing them, threatening them with fear, forcing them to conform, isolating them from non-believers, etc.
>>
>>726055542
MUH LOGIC
MUH REASON
MUH LOGIC AND REASON

YOU BELIEB IN SKY DADDY THEREFORE NOTHING IS ANYTHING AND ALL IS NEBULOUS COINCIDENCE

I AM A FREE THINKER. THATS WHY WHEN I CONTEMPLATE THE PENULTIMATE QUESTIONS OF HUMANITY, I REMEMBER TO USE THE RIGID DEFINITIONS OF GOD THAT MOVIES TAUGHT ME TO MOCK CEASELESSLY

I AM SIMULTANEOUSLY REBELLING AND CONFORMING AT ONCE, AS MY POSITION IS OFFENSIVE TO A POWERLESS MINORITY WHILST BEING A SOCIAL MERIT AT LARGE

I THINK WHAT I'M TOLD TO THINK AND I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT AGAIN
>>
i went to college. it also made me liberal. and hate white people.
>>
File: 1475117940492.png (621KB, 948x532px) Image search: [Google]
1475117940492.png
621KB, 948x532px
>>726055542
The jews
>>
>>726067349
Sooooooooo trying to present cold hard facts.

Google "self awareness"
>>
>>726066619
honestly, means nothing! it's just brain washing.
>>
>>726056489
why do science when i can make millions doing nothing?
>>
>>726055542
>>726067366

for real though, its funny how many people admit that science class at high school took God from them. Less funny that they signal it as a virtue, but they'll all come around. God's truth marches on
>>
>>726067033
How so?
>>
>>726067018
This. Although I'm an atheist, I believe that there is some higher power or law which governs all things. A new layer of physics perhaps.
But technically any being, terrestrial or otherwise, which is of superior intelligence/firepower than us would be considered a God.
>>
>>726067018
I like this idea, and it would probably be the easiest idea to accept if everyone was open minded. It also, to an extent, ties in to the egocentric predicament. As far as each individual is concerned, they are the universe, and everything starts and stops with, and for, them.
>>
>>726067498
that isnt mike tyson. thats tyson beckford u fuckin idiot.
>>
>>726067644
You sound like one of those faggots who says there are no atheists in foxholes

http://militaryatheists.org/atheists-in-foxholes/
>>
>>726067579
You can use a brainwashing excuse for fucking everything.
>>
>>726067507
Yeah dude, of course it's about cold hard facts. Nobody is saying it isn't. You seem to be the one who doesn't like that about science.
>>
>>726067507
science doesn't claim to have all the answers, just correct answers. religion claims to have all the answers and doesn't give a shit about facts.
>>
>>726055542

I was raised by the internet. When I was old enough to from my own opinions it was too late. I was wired as an autistic fedora tipping faggot.
>>
>>726055542
But nothing in my life made me religious either.
And this was before I knew the concept of atheism.

I find myself free from the struggles of choosing any/all sides. I just live, you know?
>>
Literally every single person that has ever existed and will exist was and will be born atheist. Godwashing happens later on.
>>
>>726067366
>>726067644
>>726055542

or maybe it's just that the whole concept is, you know, dumb
>>
File: 1478485536894.jpg (35KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1478485536894.jpg
35KB, 480x480px
>>726066247

>says 1+1=56
>when corrected, says we are close minded
>>
>>726056489
because niggers like tha easy way out! Christ you fucken kiiding me. all you mother fuckers keep talking about how i the white man owes you shit! fuck off!!!!
>>
>>726067649
Because you said to look up the words that I apparently don't know whilst fucking them up your self. So I came to the conclusion that you are brain dead, or just hypocritical.
>>
>>726067903
I don't believe in Abrahamic tales nor any classical deities.

But space is big and things may be out there.
>>
>>726067841
>science doesn't claim to have all the answers
This

If it did, scientists wouldn't have any more work to do. Scientists will be the first to admit they don't know it all. Scientists spend a huge portion of their time petitioning for grant money explaining why the next thing they want to figure out deserves funding.
>>
>>726055542
Im not an atheist but was forced to go to church every sunday, stopped going went into some dark fucked up path, repented now I want to be a well functioning Catholic.
wich is real hard thought it was a coincidence I couldnt go to church but something always happened when I tried to.
still struggling cannot even explain it hope you guys find JesusChrist
>>
>>726067681
youre not an atheist, dipshit. do your googles for me baby

Double Slit Experiment / The Measurement Problem

Natural Law philosophy
>>
>>726067911
Religious ignorance in a nutshell. It is actually refreshing and uplifting to see a religious person who allows their beliefs to better themselves without bashing others, but unfortunately the ignorant ones are better at making themselves known.
>>
>>726067995
Yes, things are out there, but not god. Extraterrestrials, sure, almost certainly, but not god.
>>
>>726067789
agree. but faith and religion is the absolute worst! imho.
>>
>>726068021
Ignorance will always outpace science because it's easier; and really, every answer we find unfolds more questions which are magnitudes more difficult.
>>
>2017
> not realizing that you yourself are a god.
>>
>>726067190
So you don't have complete trust you won't get hit by bus? Right?
>>
>>726067841
Science is literally just theroies.
>>
>>726068363
Nigga do you know what a theory is?
>>
>>726067908
you get out what you put in, nigger.
if youre a good boy and think what authority tells you, then you think Christianity is about a sky daddy and how to get to heaven to smile down on your relatives until the end of time. Perhaps its stupid because you have a stupid idea of what God is?
>>
File: ENuKWpI.gif (952KB, 400x226px) Image search: [Google]
ENuKWpI.gif
952KB, 400x226px
>>726068319
>>
>>726068240
So you don't trust anything at all?
>>
>>726067841
bravo!!!
>>
>>726068363
Great, another fucking idiot who doesn't realize that the word 'theory' doesn't mean what he thinks it means.
>>
>>726068429
Yeah and science fits the definition
>>
ITT:
>There is no God, his lore is a mere manifestation of fear of cosmic loneliness.
>>
>>726068512
Insults are not arguments.
>>
>>726068363
if science is nothing but theory, than how the fuck are we even having this conversation at all?
>>
>>726068319
How do you come to believing in such a out of place theory.
>>
>>726067681
That sounds closer to agnostic than atheist.
>>
>>726068666
Your temptations will not deceive me, Santa.
>>
>>726068319
>2017
>still believing there can be more than one God
>not knowing that "you" is a hallucination and there is only the All
>>
>>726068565
Try and prevent much more embarrassment and look up what the word theory means in the science world. It's not the same word as when your favorite guy on Criminal Minds says it.
>>
>>726068349
I admit there is some minute possibility I could be hit by a bus. My argument is that it isn't purely random chance. I have control over the situation to some extent and I can use that control to minimize my chances of being hit by a bus.

You sound like some religious faggot trying to get me to throw my arms up and admit god is in control.
>>
>>726066666
>>
>>726068666
Why would I bother arguing with someone who doesn't even know simple words? Stick with your weird ideas dude, none of us care.
>>
>>726055542
i just believed in god cuz my parents told me god exist.
what happened is that i started believe only in thing with factual evidences.
>>
>>726068812
Can you not broaden your mind? Do you honestly need other people to?
>>
>>726067908

or maybe the idea of a guy watching me from some unknown place is just silly
>>
>>726068363

Theory1 - A scheme or system of ideas or statements held as an explanation or account of a group of facts or phenomena; a hypothesis that has been confirmed or established by observation or experiment and is propounded or accepted as accounting for known facts; a statement of what are held to be the general laws, principles, or causes of something known or observed.

Theory2 - a hypothesis proposed as an explanation; hence, a mere hypothesis; conjecture, speculation; an idea or set of ideas about something, an individual notion or view.

--Oxford English Dictionary

Theory1 is the scientific and logical flow-oriented definition and basically means we know it's there, we just can't use it as a control in an experiment due to invalidity or inadequacy of testing apparati. Gravity is a theory. Time relativity is a theory. The Big Bang is a theory. The only reason these things aren't laws or principles is because there is no way to conduct an experiment with them as the control variable. They are STILL fact.

The version that idiots who don't understand this concept use is Theory2. It's a base conjecture or a glorified idea with nothing backing it. The scientific equivalents to watch out for are "postulate" and "hypothesis".

STOP mixing up the two. It makes those who do look even dumber than they actually are.
>>
>>726068975
Cared enough to reply. Face it you are a loser like the rest of us debating something that cannot be proven right or wrong.
>>
>>726068447

or maybe the idea of a guy watching me from some unknown place is just silly
>>
>>726069101
>Idiots for using a definition of a word
>>
>>726068666
>>726068363

Theory in science is something which explains a natural phenomenon and is not refuted by any known evidence

The dual wave particle nature of light theory
The theory of gravity
The theory of Darwinian evolution

Those are all theories that have literal mountains of evidence supporting them and not one shred of evidence debunking them.

So saying that science is "just a bunch of theories" is literally saying that science is just a bunch of stuff that has tons of evidence and no refuting evidence.

Yeah, what a load of shit. Who would believe in stuff that has tons of proof and nothing debunking it. What a bunch of idiots...
>>
>>726069101
This.

If you anti-science dinks are going to keep being vocal, at least do some reading.
>>
>>726068494
I trust in myself, i determine what i want. never asked (*next of*) i see things i like i get.
>>
>>726069101
I didn't actually know that myself, cheers anon, you learn something new everyday
>>
>>726068831
There is no control, only eternal motion. You understand your own influence over your life in direct physical choices, but what has gone on to influence your choices? what influenced your influences? All is interconnected and preordained, AND you have free will. bam
>>
Why do you guys try so hard at this? Why do you need to be right on everything? Can't you guys realize that this shit doesn't matter
>>
>>726069275

A lot of languages have identical words with different meanings. That's why its important to get the context correct. It's a childish and ignorant mistake to use a word without having a proper grasp of its definition.
>>
>>726068831
I was just making sure you really didn't have faith.
I'm really not religious lol.
>>
>>726069147
What? What are we disproving? That science isn't real? What the fuck is going on here...
>>
>>726069451
go to fucking bed bro
>>
I'm apatheist

I can't prove nor disprove deities, but as they have no direct influence over my experience, I choose to ignore it and move on with my life.
>>
>>726055542
>be born
>no one says shit about "GAWD" in first ten years of life
> 15 realize I have no faith
>ask parents what we are
>parents say catholic but we don't go to church
>realize its never really been an issue and choose not to believe in anything
>>
>>726069450
This is /b/
we will argue about anything
Haven't you ever been in one of those what is the best metal threads? There are a bunch of faggots who don't think copper is the best metal...
>>
>>726055542
i learned how to read
>>
>>726069397
Then you have faith, in yourself.
>>
>>726069595
Diamond is obviously the best metal.
>>
>>726069595
Because titanium is fam
>>
>>726069421
>All is interconnected and preordained
>and you have free will
>preordained
>free will

You are a fucking moron
>>
>>726069226
>God is a guy
>a guy
>my definition of God is some guy, not unlike myself
>a guy watching me
>i understand religion

fuck you and the ground you walk on for your shallowness
>>
>>726055542
I read the bible.
>>
>>726069639
be quiet, gunna slap you! :)
>>
>>726069747
>created man in his image
>>
>>726069803
New thread.
>>
Nothing happened. My parents didn't subscribe to any ideology. naturally if a person isn't exposed to something at a young age or they don't go through any sort of trauma. they become far less susceptible to believing bullshit. I think it's actually more ridiculous at this point in time, with all the available information we have to believe in a higher power without any influence. we're all atheist by default.
>>
>>726069714
the two are the one and the one is the all. the two are not exclusive. can you explain why you think they are?
>>
>>726069866
Hehehe. Faith isn't a bad thing, nor a weakness.
>>
In closing, OP had t backwards. We are all be without the knowledge of fictional gods.

The scientific method is humanity's greatest achievement so far

Everyone on /b/ thinks tent are way fucking smarter than they actually are.
>>
>>726069900
If the bible is literal, i'm Pamela Anderson.
Again, fuck you and the ground you walk on for your shallowness.

Think outside your physical material box for a second what else could "created man in his image" mean?
>>
>>726070330
We are born agnostic.
>>
>>726070140
If everything is preordained then you have no free will.

Free will means you have freedom over your decisions and future actions. Things being preordained means your future actions are already decided and you have no choice. They are mutually exclusive.

If things are preordained there can be no free will. If there is free will then things are not preordained.

This is especially true with the Christian God. If everything is preordained then how can you be judged for your sins? Your sins were already decided before your were born and are not your doing. Why should you burn in hell as punishment for things you had no choice in doing?
>>
>>726070436
I have a feeling no one will answer this, ignorance tends to sidestep knowledge
>>
>>726069747

> focusing on an irrelevant aspect

it doesn't matter what god is. it's watching and judging me as an individual for no discernable reason based on the arbitrary rules that no human could reasonably get right.

best to just not care about it
>>
>>726070283
i said hush! hush! i'm actually the devil! trust me.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.