[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on the evolution of percussion in music. Mainstream

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

Redpill me on the evolution of percussion in music.

Mainstream media says percussion in Rock 'n Roll, pop, rap, metal etc. comes from African slaves. But does it really?

Where do complex drumming patterns in rock and metal really come from, /b/?
>>
File: 1483858376393.jpg (269KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1483858376393.jpg
269KB, 1280x853px
self bump
>>
File: 1448791583588.jpg (1MB, 3233x2308px) Image search: [Google]
1448791583588.jpg
1MB, 3233x2308px
Bump
>>
File: 1487124073629.jpg (88KB, 518x371px) Image search: [Google]
1487124073629.jpg
88KB, 518x371px
>>
>>724100185

Bill Ward.
>>
>>724100185
Alright, real rock and roll started with Robert Johnson in 1930s, and while he was black, he's not so much the founder of modern percussion as he is the precursor for it. Blues and Jazz didnt have advanced percussion, usually it was just the standard 4/4 that was being utilized by everyone else.
If you want to see where the drums really kicked things off, you'll want the opening of Sing Sing Sing by Benny Goodman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhyhP_5VfKM

Before percussion was essentially used as a metronome, but the intervention of swing, jazz blues and rock n' roll really transformed it into an art form.
>>
>>724100745
Much earlier than this, anon.

>>724100995
Thanks
>>
>>724100185

>Where do complex drumming patterns in rock and metal really come from, /b/?

Jazz.

Again... black people.
>>
>>724100185
From the master race that's made cucks out of all of us

I, for one, welcome our black overlords
>>
>>724101235
You're right on a technical standpoint, but I think there's so much evolution between the genres that you really can't point to one genre as the orgin.
It's like saying that the success of Call of Duty is all due to Nintendo because they started they revived the video game industry in 1983 - there's so much history in between those periods that shape the development so much more. If you were to play a drum fill for a jazz song, then a punk song, and then a metal song and finish it all off with swing, there would be definite shifts you'd be able to hear on the spot.
>>
>>724101235
By that logic, it's like saying all humanity started in Africa, so we should all identify as Africans. There's been a lot of change that took place between then and now.
>>
>>724100185
>>724100185
you could take the lineage of american music and artificially stop at african slaves saying there were no precursors.

prior to *core metal there was american thrash and speed metal, glam, new wave of british metal, british blues, mississippi/delta blues, slave chants and hollers, traditional african
and european gospel and hymnals, medieval, keep going...

modern american music is heavy on european music theory and the rest is truly global.

africans originated certain styles but they are far from the root of modern music.
>>
>>724102927
European Art Music has a completely different sense of rhythm than modern popular music does. It ebbs and flows, and doesn't follow an internal pulse. That's why so much of it necessitates a conductor. There's no point where Western Art Music transitions into having the same consistent internal pulse that's used in popular music until AFTER the internal pulse existed in popular music. Western Art Music is absolutely the harmonic foundation for modern popular music, but not the rhythmic foundation.

The modern drum kit was also a jazz invention.
>>
I dont see why white people and the west can lay claim to civilzation

Rome's technology and culture came from the east and they had some really negative opinions about the rest of europe
>>
>>724100671
tell me more about odd time signatures like 7/8
>>
>>724104840
You tell me...

(Note: traditional European music like Hungarian, Gypsy, already had complex time changes, but was not part of the Classical repertoire)
>>
odd piece of homework that might explain this click on missa lubba
recorded by nigerian M & boys choir in the 50s, the drums in the kyrie,the sanctus,,the singing is done by regular kiddies & men,not professional, ans sometimes,they are offkey a bit,young fellas stretch & REACH,but the drums, hand played those guys make the drums SINNNNG,can;t explain it you have to listen, many times. they sing?,speak??
it is an amazing effect, entrancing how they do it
>>
>>724105216
Actually steppes people like huns and gyppos arent european
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.