[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here live/lived in New York City? I'm trying to

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 2

File: NYC-sky.jpg (653KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
NYC-sky.jpg
653KB, 1024x681px
Anyone here live/lived in New York City?

I'm trying to transfer schools to there in the Fall but my concern is finding work. Looking to make around $400 dollars a week along with a full load of classes.

I would prefer to avoid waiting tables, as I did that for four years and hated it, but will do if it's really the best way to go.
>>
Have you tried back of house instead of server?
Line cooks make about that much and its easy as shit to learn the "recipes" (if you can call them that).
>>
>>723312948
yuck nyc is overbearing and miserable.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1463659050491.jpg (75KB, 720x561px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1463659050491.jpg
75KB, 720x561px
That's interesting, i've always wanted to move to NYC, but all the people that i know that have lived there , said that everything is expensive and full of rats.
>>
I live in Manhattan. It's fun. It's very expensive though. You can't survive on $400 a week without family supporting you, it's just not realistic. So either be prepared to take out some loans or commute in from long island.
>>
>>723313688
Hey what about BK ?
>>
>>723313971
Yeah they have a lot of those in manhattan but I prefer mcdonalds
>>
>>723313971
BK can just be as expensive as Manhattan
>>
>>723313688
This so much. Been living in lower manhattan my whole life. Shits expensive as fuck. In all honestly i wanna move somewhere. Im tired of sirens every 10 or so minutes blaring, im tired of the crowds, prices, man after 25 years here im not sure how other people not go crazy lol
>>
>>723314295
.......... autistic fuck ...........
>>
>>723313971
you have to go really far out before rent gets in the range you're thinking of, and you have to share a room basically. I'm not joking. This map is a little out of date but if anything it's even higher now: https://www.addressreport.com/image/5798958026719232

You CAN live out by JFK but there's also fewer jobs out there, so you're stuck commuting an hour from the "poor people" areas to the "rich people" areas for school and the "middle class" (aka 200k families) areas for waiting tables which breeds resentment real quick.

Honestly I don't know how people live here if they don't have a strong career, seems like hell. Great city if you have even lower-middle class income, otherwise idk if I really recommend it.
>>
>>723314637
How much is for a 1 bedroom apartment ?
>>
>>723314767
Probably could get that around 110th st
>>
>>723314812
>>723313688
I should give more details. I'll be going to school there, so thankfully I wont be paying legitmate costs of living rates in manhatten. I'm also very fortunate to have my parents supporting me. I can live on 2-300 dollars a month on food and subway and can give the other 1000 to school, which my parents are helping with. I have a pretty significant academic scholarship and a small loan that goes directly to school.

So I've worked out the math, and $400 is about what I need to make after what I'm working and saving right now.

For the past two years I've worked primarily in commercial cleaning. Had a job at a carwash for half a year and do some carpet cleaning work when I can.

So all that said, what are the best jobs to go for as a student?
>>
>>723315980
Oh, gotcha.

Tutoring is lucrative if you have a good academic pedigree. (Lots of students also do nannying if you're female but since this is 4chan I'm assuming you're not.)

If you have marketable skills, which can even include things like "I play guitar", teaching lessons can make you some extra money. But it will not get you to $400 weekly.

I know you said waiting tables is not ideal but it's the best money you can get with no marketable skills yet. I'd really rather demean myself at a restaurant than demean myself in retail.
>>
>>723315980
If you're not a total sperg just fucking suck it up and work in food service

if it's just a job, you won't care what you're doing(plus if you bar tend or work in a restaurant in a hip neighborhood you can meet an alt-qt to make your waifu)

honestly other than what that anon said about tutoring, waiting tables or working retail are the only viable jobs here for students. everything else requires a degree or are nepotistic as fuck.
>>
>>723316720
>>723317252
Well I appreciate the insight. If I can ask what line of work are you guys in?
>>
>>723317494
>>723316720
I'm a teacher, that's kind of why I mention tutoring because it's where I got my start. I went to college in rural NH though so to be fair I didn't have the real college experience in the city. Moved here after graduation.
>>
New York undergrad student here.

In terms of making money, I think the easiest way is tutoring. The bare minimum you make from private tutoring is going to be $20 an hour if you're undergrad. It really ranges from that point on. If you specialize in a certain academic field, then you could be looking at $50+ an hour. I have a good friend who specializes in advanced mathematics, makes $70-80 an hour. However, you also have to pick your location right. Tutoring in the rich neighborhoods, even if the commute is long, will make everything worth it in the long run.
That being said, Craigslist/Indeed/Job Billboards are your friends. The billboards are all over the city in some restaurants, pubs, markets, and what not. Might take some time to find them. They have tons of job postings. I even know people who look for dog walkers and they make $20-ish per dog (so walk 5 dogs for an hour = $100).
Most important thing is to put yourself out there, you won't learn too much from asking for advice here. Go to the bar and meet people if you're old enough. In NYC, connections will get you most things you need, especially a job.
Good luck, OP
>>
>>723317780
and you're able to afford living in manhatten?

How would you recommend going about getting in the tutoring game?
>>
>>723317912
I appreciate it. Know anything about the commercial cleaning marker? As in business and offices needing cleaning and hiring outside contractors?
>>
>>723317912
Also, what do you do for work and how much do you make?
>>
>>723318119
Not too much. But if you can find your way into a cleaning company (the more legit ones which don't use illegal labor), they tend to pay a bit more. Again, not too familiar with the cleaning industry.

I private tutor on the side for $35 an hour. Currently full-time undergrad though.
>>
>>723318323
Did you just put an ad out there on Craigslist or something? Also what subject do you tutor?
>>
>>723318490
Yea pretty much. I'm a math tutor but typically speaking, general tutors for younger kids are more in need but make less money. The more specialized you get, the more money, but also the smaller target audience. Just put yourself out there.
>>
>>723318821
I appreciate the feedback man. If you got the time, I'm looking at going to the King's College. It has a religious connotation but I'm really going there to make connections in the journalism and writing fields. Does this school or its graduates have a reputation if you've even heard of it?
>>
>>723319221
Damn bro, that's a really small school. I've walked by it a few times in the finance district. Haven't heard of it though since I'm not very religious so I can't say that I know about it's reputation.
Honestly though, if you're going for undergrad, just do the best you can, bachelor's degree doesn't mean much in this day and age. Graduate school is where the real shit starts. For journalism and writing, aim for NYU or Columbia and if you make it, I swear your career will be set. But again, just make sure you have everything in check, meaning financial aid, dorming costs, social life, GPA, etc. There's a lot to get through and it may seem overwhelming especially in NYC, but all the resources are out there, you just need to look for them.
>>
>>723319809
Yeah that's what I've heard. I get that an undergrad isn't the golden ticket anymore, I've just met the school's president and spoken with students there and they say the connections there are top notch?

If I went the NYU/Columbia route are you suggesting getting an undergrad somewhere else and then going for a masters there?
>>
>>723320507
Not exactly. It honestly doesn't give much advantage in terms of where you go for undergrad. I mean obviously if you started in NYU/Columbia, you have a slight edge in staying there for grad school, but that's not the case. Just try to stand out in your school, more so since it's such a small school. If you're in like the top 10% of your class or something, it'd be more meaningful than having gone to NYU/Columbia and just being an anybody.

I can imagine connections are amazing in a small school since everyone will sorta look out for each other.

Obviously look into acceptance rates and what not. I don't know your financial status but NYU/Columbia are pricey af schools for undergrad. Being admitted is usually a one-way ticket to student debt unless your parents are well off or you really make it in your career.
>>
>>723315980
best jobs for a student would be a porter in a doorman building. It's union and they have different shifts as far as I know. If you're a great employee, you can be a doorman as well.
>>
I recommend a paid internship and maybe another job if you can handle it. I go to school here and if your parents aren't dumping loads of cash into your bank account each week, you're most likely working your ass off.

Nyc is fun though especially if you're a student, you'll make connections and have an amazing time unless you sit in your room all day. I hate it here sometimes but everytime I go home i feel like I'm missing out on the world. The only thing better than leaving nyc is coming back.
>>
>>723321083
Yeah I'm looking at around 9 grand a semester at Kings, but thats after getting a $23000 scholarship so it seem stupid not to go there, especially when my loans will only be about $3500 a year.

I don't know, New York is somewhere I've always wanted to end up and the school boasts a 97% employment rate for graduates working full time in their desired field. The connections work to your advantage because of the prefessors being so engrained in the NYC area, or at least that's what I'm told.

I'm pretty sure anybody can adjust to any environment given enough time, I just need to be able to make the money.

When you said earlier "put yourself out there" can I ask exactly what you mean? I get putting postings on Indeed and Craigslist, but anything else?
>>
>>723321201
Is this work you've done or are doing? How'd you get your foot in the door - no pun intended?
>>
>>723321329
What kind of work are you doing right now? How is the money you're making?
>>
>>723321636
Be active. Don't be shy. Talk to your professors after class or something. Get them to know you. If you are well known in your school by your professors, it'll become an invaluable resource. Especially when it comes time for recommendation writing.
>>
>>723320507
>If I went the NYU/Columbia route are you suggesting getting an undergrad somewhere else and then going for a masters there?

I'm not that guy but, journalism is a dying field. Columbia masters in journalism is the gold standard in that field but even there it'll be tough to get one of the 45k per year reporter jobs at papers around the country.

I wouldn't agonize about which school you go to otherwise though. Most I'd suggest to someone is to go to school in the city / region they want to work in, because your school is a known quantity there and you'll end up being connected to fellow alumni once you all start working in the field.

Also check this out: it's what you study, not where you study, that is mostly responsible for the outcomes you get:
http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21646220-it-depends-what-you-study-not-where
>>
>>723321749
still in school but I did freelance photography and am now a real estate agent. graduate in may but I live in the dorms so not much food costs. Honestly you can make $100 go a long way if you cook at home, trader joes is cheap..just don't be going out all the time, it adds up very quickly
>>
I did the exact same thing you're about to do, Op.

Bartend.

I made $600-800 a week working Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. I graduated from NYU.
>>
>>723321681
A few of the families I know have kids doing this. I did it for a little while to supplement my income. It's all about the hustle.
>>
nyc sucks unless you can make it or have tons of cash. it's the sad truth. but it is possible.

I would advocate AVOIDING trying to live anyplace fun, since you cannot fathom how shitty the apartments can get. 50k a year, a few roommates in harlem/queens/crappy brooklyn and you can swing a few days a month to go out and have fun. either you'll love it and thrive, love it and not thrive, or hate it. school here is difficult because this is not a friendly city for people wanting to live on a shoestring budget.

in terms of school name, it's columbia, then nyu, then everything else. but those are fucking crazy expensive (unless you're eligible for aid), and you'd be better off going someplace you can afford and being a shining star there, and go someplace better for grad school. columbia is one of the best universities in the world, so unless that's an environment (competitive/cut-throat) you'd see yourself (and you can get it) I would just stick to what's affordable and easy for you to get, and knock it out of the park.

it's feasible, but it's difficult. but if you can find a job here and do well and make connections, more power to you. just keep your head down, work hard, present yourself well and speak english clearly.

i make 200k/yr starting from public school and working 2 jobs and live a relatively meager life, pay 3.5k/month in rent for an unremarkable building, go out a few times a month. 200k in nyc is nothing. starting salary at big law firms are about ~230k and finance cracks 200k pretty quickly.

good luck, man. and if you move here, do shit. go see shows, parks, places, restaurants. otherwise there's no point. get as many deli/bodega bacon egg and cheeses as you can.
>>
>>723321853
Thanks for all your help man, I appreciate it. I'm moving from midsized cities to the biggest in the world and I'm trying to go in and not be completely overwhelmed.

>>723321955
Thanks anon, journalism is sort of just the general term I use to describe what I'm trying to get into. the degree I'm getting will be Media, Culture, and the Art and their core curriculum there is supposed to be top notch. Most importantly, it is in the area I'd love to live and work.

>>723322043
Is that the only kind of work you did in college?

>>723322243
I'm only 20 at the moment and have no experience bartending. Not sure what the NYC laws are for serving but how would you recommend getting my foot in the door in that field?

>>723322434
I've actually been working in similar field for over a year now, are you saying you knew the person who hired you or you still had to go the apply route and figure it out?

Also, a question to all of you living/working in NYC, Im a goof fucking worker - been in the workforce since I was 14 and never had anything but a good reputation from coworkers and bosses - but I know New York is a whole different animal. What kind of things are employers looking to hear? What's some good, basic knowledge an outsider might not know but could really benefit from knowing right off that bat?
>>
>>723322243

This. Also, if you have the credit, buy a condo instead of renting.
>>
I live on the Upper East Side. You can't live on 400 bucks a week. Maybe Harlem for $600 a week would be your best bet. If not have fun crashing on the LIRR.
>>
>>723322999
dubs dubs trips
>>
>>723322822
I appreciate the advice man. I happen to be someone who doesn't mind hard work and all that shit, but I get what you're saying: NYC is no playground. You still make me excited to go there. Maybe I have rose-colored glasses but shit. May I ask what you do? And more importantly, what you've done to get by when you were young/in school if you went?
>>
>>723323121
see >>723315980
>>
>>723322999
>Is that the only kind of work you did in college?

No, I waited tables in Jersey before I transferred to NYU. Waiting tables sucks because customers have zero respect for you, but bartenders get mad respect because you have the power to cut customers off for being too intoxicated and they know it. Also, girls fucking love bartenders because you are pretty much the life of the party and you'll make a shitload of male friends and you'll be perceived as a leader of men.

Just go take a two week bartending course in Manhattan. It'll cost about $800. They'll provide job placement.
>>
>>723322999
I'm still in school..Photography work and I had a work study job at school/now working at a huge real estate brokerage (very easy to do) while I'm still in school.

Bartending is a great job too like the other poster said.
>>
>>723323463
What are your thoughts on taking a bartending class somewhere other than Manhattan and using that as reference when applying places?
>>
>>723323763
How'd you get into real estate? Did you have to have prior experience to get in?
>>
Also, a random question to anyone living there: what is the crime actually like? Obviously certain neighborhoods and certain times of night are worse than others but the general day to day walk to and from work - is it something to be worried about?
>>
>>723323869
you don't, I just took a class online but you can do it in just a few weeks. I plan on doing it full time, its difficult to do part time and probably not worth it. I think bartending sounds good in your situation....you can take a class somewhere else nobody will care unless you're working in a really fancy place...or come here and do a groupon bartending class
>>
>>723324495
What class would that be? It might be something I keep in the back of my mind just in case. I'm referring to the real estate thing. I'll definitely be looking into the bartending thing as well.

Also, do you have in insight on >>723324187
?
>>
>>723324769
Can't you check statistics on that or are you looking for testimonials?
>>
>>723323807
where you take bartending classes will dictate where the bartending school will be able to place you in jobs. For instance, if you go to a bartending school in Virginia, they aren't going to have relationships with bars in Manhattan.
>>
>>723324769
i went to the NYREI you can google it its very easy, just 75 hours of class and two tests and you're good. It is true though, that you will not make much money/be able to get a good grip if you have too much classes and not enough time to dedicate. Give it a try though! Crime isn't very bad but then again it is a city so it can come at any moment. Harlem is still iffy north of 125th street, the bronx has bad spots and I don't know it well, but don't really go there often. Brooklyn is pretty safe but there are some bad parts in Bed-Stuy, although that neighborhood is cleaning up quickly. Brownsville you will never go to, more dangerous than detroit. Cypress Hills is iffy but I used to intern out there for a while and it was chill. Canarsie is bad but I've only been there once. Queens is chill. Those may not mean much to you now but when you come and know the neighborhoods you'll get it.

You'll be fine unless you're walking around with earbuds in in a bad neighborhood late at night. I've walked around at 3 am and never felt unsafe, although I can run like the wind and usually have a small knife on me. Most problems you'll find are homeless people and crackheads harassing you on the subway.
>>
>>723325319
stats say about a murder a day, but I've been told that's all in poor neighborhoods. So yeah...i'm looking for general day to day testimonials
>>
>>723325459
good to know, thanks man. Looking forward to getting out there. Do you think you'd live anywhere else if you could? Or would you just feel like youre missing out on the world too much?
>>
New York is the best nigga
The people are great
The delis are great
Buy a fucking chopped cheese
Buy some fucking timbs
Don't go to the bronx
>>
>>723325758
I'm missing out too much. Although what someone said earlier is very true, you can get burnt out quickly. Getting packing into a subway like sardines is bad enough, until a homeless person comes through who hasn't showered in a month trying to beg for money and you're up against the door trying not to touch him.

You get tired of the crowds quickly. The noise is crazy sometimes and the constant sirens suck. Everything is dirty. Everything. You'll go through gallons of hand sanitizer. Never put your shoes on your bed. Its good to take breaks from the city.

The only thing better than leaving the city is coming back to it.
>>
>>723312948
what kinda work related skills do you have?
food service/retail etc?
>>
>>723312948
If you're looking to live in manhattan, the rent/real estate prices are sky high. A 2 bed costs you 3-4k a month even in one of the slightly poor neighborhoods (by manhattan standards). I'm talking anything above 125th st.
>>
Morningside Heights reporting in. Don't rent within a 15-block radius of Columbia if you value your bank account.
>>
>>723325984
sounds like a dream
>>
>>723326281
Are you a NYC native?
>>
>>723327039
Nope I'm a transplant. 22 years old. Don't worry too much man people have come here with less and thrived.
>>
>>723326404
Worked in a restaurant serving and drive thru for 4 years

Worked as a salesperson at a carwash for 8 months

Been working in commercial cleaning for over a year now. Gotten experience doing carpet cleaning as well

Also just speaking to my skills i'm great at writing/editing/technical writing and people skill + customer service.

If I'm just working for money I do enjoy the quite behind the scenes cleaning stuff. Someone mentioned working as a porter earlier and that doesn't sound too bad. Wouldn't know how to get into that work though
>>
>>723327165
So i have a situation where I'm working in cleaning as much as possible and doing an internship and taking a few classes. A housemate of mine says I should work here at a red lobster or something (where she works) and then try to transfer to one in the city or just work at a restaurant in general. Not really the kind of work I want to get back into but will if its what I need to. My question is you think thats a safe route and if i really need to to start working in the field now or if I could start in the city. The reason not to while im here is it would be sacrificing money i could be making now in order to get serving experience.
>>
>>723312948
>>
>>723327546
I'm no life coach dude, but with all the dirty shit I've seen here I probably would not want to be a cleaner in the city. I mean a janitor at an office building may not be so bad but idk. A restuarant is good and its good to have experience but I would not go to red lobster because the majority of people who eat in red lobster in the city are usually tourists who don't know any better in touristy places, so I feel as if you won't make as much tips. I'd save up money now and not focus as much as writing where you are, cause if you want to be a writer/journalist and your dream job is the New York Times or any major publication based in NYC, they'd wipe their ass with an article you wrote for your local newspaper.
>>
>>723328624
I get that. So you ARE saying though that you'd recommend trying to build a writing career from NYC because it will be hard to break into from the outside?
>>
>>723328942
With a college education, yes. But that doesn't mean don't write a single thing now. There are A LOT of writers in NYC. You could get lost in the amount of people but also flourish. It's entirely up to you. Do what you can now too. I don't want to sound like you shouldn't be doing it at all.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.