[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just need a quick question answered. If I get a new pc and move

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: 2962.jpg (23KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
2962.jpg
23KB, 400x400px
Just need a quick question answered.
If I get a new pc and move my hard drive from my old one to my new one, will all my installed stuff still work? Like steam and everything.
I'm not a computer guy.
>>
Possibly, but not likely. Most bigger programs add/update things in the registry, and I'm not entirely sure if that would transfer with the hard drive, also
>>/G/
>>
File: 1487066840904.png (318KB, 536x438px) Image search: [Google]
1487066840904.png
318KB, 536x438px
no.
>>
>>722976732
Yes, but...
You'll have to ring Microsoft and get them to authorize the change of hardware.
Your license is valid only for the original PC it was installed on.
>>
>>722976903
I didn't post on /g/ cause they're "not my personal tech support"
>>
It depends on what programs. They should work but if not you will just have to reinstall them
>>
File: 1487172613399.jpg (39KB, 500x210px) Image search: [Google]
1487172613399.jpg
39KB, 500x210px
>>722976974
WRONG
>>
>>722977038
And we are?
>>
>>722977119
It say's nothing about it in the rules buddy :)
>>
>>722977038
there's a thread called /sqt/, you can ask questions there.
>>
File: dodging the question.jpg (31KB, 620x632px) Image search: [Google]
dodging the question.jpg
31KB, 620x632px
>>722976732
How to put it as simple as possible:
Your processor speaks a language - let's say your old one speaks spanish, because he's a mexican - usually too hot and kind of lazy, but did a good job some years ago.
Your new one speaks russian. Now if you try to hand the spanish instructions (on your hard drive) to your vassili he probably won't understand shit, maybe a little but surely not all of it.

Save your important data on an external drive / usb, and re-install the system. Ideally have this done by someone who knows his shit, bribe him with beer or something - it's really not that complicated.
>>
>>722977623
It's not that old, my computer junk (graphics card, ram etc) is just outdated now. I'll assume it will be fine.
>>
>>722977623
But the hard drive speaks french and the ram speaks korean. Anon, if he simply wants to use the old hard drive without installing a new one as master, he will be good to go.

>inb4 downgrade to x86
>>
>>722977876
It won't work. Drivers for everything will be different and it will be looking for your old parts and not find them
>>
>>722977876
Still - if you have the possibility to save your data away and clear the drive before re-installing it you'll save yourself potential headaces about weird errors nobody has because you have remains of an old installation floating arround.
>>
>>722978116
Are we back in 2005? If he stays with intel, it is no problem, the right driver will load automatically. As for new graca, well he would either way have to install the new driver.
>>
>>722977099
Hm....another anon here....that's at least how it used to work, most consumer Windows licenses were for a particular PC, and if too much changed about the hardware (e.g. motherboard change), it would demand a new Windows registration code before working again.

>>722976732
A possible tip, again based on old info I'm not sure is still true, is that if the drive was your primary hard drive referenced as C: on your old PC, you have to make it also referenced as C: on your new PC. So like if the new PC comes with a hard drive and operating system, and you're moving your old hard drive over as an additional drive (referenced as D: or something), then some of the installed programs won't work. (Some will, if they just look for files in their current directory, but others will be looking for files in specific initially-installed locations on your C: drive that aren't there).
>>
>>722976732
Nope, if you are using a different motherboard you will need to clean install...
>>
>>722976732

Its possible but assuming the hardware is pretty different I wouldnt bother trying.

Do you have a spare hard disk you dont use? (not for the new pc) I can explain how to do this if so.
>>
OP HERE.
BY THE WAY !! My hard drive is not my main drive. if that changes this please tell me.
>>
>>722978654
>most consumer Windows licenses were for a particular PC
I don't think that's standard procedure, none of the keys i ever handled were bound to a specific computer.
>>
>>722978889

So your files are on a separate drive or your programs?
>>
>>722978768
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2941462/changing-cpu-motherboard-reinstalling-windows.html

There are a lot of sources out there, that claim it is not necessary.
And from my experience, when I hotswapped hard drives with different OSs two years ago, it is also not necessary with windows 8.
>>
>>722978889
>My hard drive is not my main drive
I think you're talking about boot sequence? So like your computer tries to start from the cd first or something?
Doesn't matter.
>>
>>722979021

OEM licences are real and a pain in the ass.
>>
>>722976917
this.
>>
>>722979024
Steam and all my games are on the drive.
>>
>>722976732
Probably, but not necessarily
>>
>>722979120
Starts on my SDD
>>
>>722978889
If you clean install windows on the other drive you will prolly be able to access the other drive. Just don't boot off of the old drive.
>>
>>722979164
Well if you install an identical system on your first drive this might just work - worst case: it doesn't and you'll have to download all your steam games again.
>>
if you go from an intel to an amd processor or the other way around, what will work:
-prettymuch nothing

if you go from intel to intel or amd to amd, what will work:
-windows will probably boot or go through startup repair a few times and then work
-your files will still be there
-most simple programs will work just fine, like chrome and office and stuff

what will not work:
-windows will say it's not genuine and it's easier to just crack them than trying to accomplish anything with customer support
-graphics drivers will fall back to the default windows ones, meaning games probably won't run or will run like shit. If you have GeForce experience or AMD Cataclyst or whatever installed it'll probably fix the drivers for you
-be prepared to run into some weird shit, I did this on a laptop and while the wifi worked, the wifi on/off button didn't

It's a much bettter idea to just read some tutorials and install a fresh system and then transfer all your data and re-download your steam libryary, but if you really want to, you can maybe get away with it
>>
>>722979310
With my 500mb/s internet? Fuck.
>>
>>722979164

Try and swap the drives to the machine, if that fails back everything up and start from fresh.

Keep games and the OS on one disk, files and valuable data on another, Might not be a noticeable difference but at least when you play a game it doest have to read between two disks.
>>
>>722979164
So, you have a second hard drive, where all your steam games are?
And you want to use a new empty hard drive for your OS and still use the old hardy as secondary?

Then nope, the registry for all your games will fuck up. They are stored on your windows drive.
>>
>>722979098
I could be wrong. I am speaking from my own experience. When I had upgraded my CPU and Mobo from an old intel T socket to the AMD3+ type. My computer would not boot old drive, so I had to clean install...
>>
>>722976732
No. The driver software won't match up with the new PC.
>>
>>722979478
Yeah, changing from intel to amd is a different story, but anons already clarified that. But when you stay with intel, you can easily hotswap back until around windows 7.
>>
>>722979220
So you have a system on an ssd, and steam shit on the other hard drive and you want to place both - the ssd and the other hd in a new computer?

My personal rule of a thumb is: Don't take installed data from one system to another. It may work, but it doesn't have to.
I'd suggest reinstalling everything from scratch.
>>
>>722979770
You can't remove SSDs, can you?

~OP
>>
I found this gem the other day, works very well for cloning one drive to another (data migration tool)

http://ssd.skhynix.com/ssd/en/support/download.jsp
>>
>>722980175
Maybe I should make a new thread with more details because clearly I didn't present enough and didn't realize how overly complicated this shit is.
>>
>>722980175
If you ask this kind of weird question, it may be best to ask one of your tech savy friends to take a look at it.
>>
>>722980286

Hey OP, if you do link it over.

Its not that complicated but I think youll have to start from scratch. Ill outline a tutorial if needs be.

Do you know how to boot from USB? How much external storage do you have?
>>
>>722976732
>>722977876
computer information systems major here. it won't be fine. Programs that ran as they once did before will not run that way again on the new computer. When you installed programs on your old pc, during installation the software is installed to be unique to one cumputer, the software requires data that is unique to that specific pc to run and won't be able to sync up with your new pc....take >>722977623 very literally
>>
File: T1 In Hand.jpg (63KB, 856x458px) Image search: [Google]
T1 In Hand.jpg
63KB, 856x458px
>>722980175
An ssd (solid state drive) is a type of hard drive which can very much be removed pic related.
They're usually used as primary drive to speed up system operation and computer start.
>>
>>722980540

One more thing to add, do you have a physical windows licence?
>>
>>722976732
Not the way it is, no, but if you format it first it will work in the second computer with all of your files intact. It will throw up a warning about doing this, but that is only if you are keeping it in the same (primary) computer; as long as you transfer the drive to the second computer it will be fine.

source: computer tech
>>
>>722980553
another computer information systems major here, i agree and generally this is true, but you have to keep in mind that developers such as microsoft had at least some portability in mind when programming this shit, so while some things may do some weird stuff, most stuff should run just fine (as long as you stay on the same architecture), and if it doesn't, windows can fix a lot of it by itself
>>
>>722981218

Games and OS on two separate drives though. Gona be a long shot.
>>
>>722981218
HEY CIS brother!
>>
>>722976732
I MOVED, NEW THREAD WITH MORE INFORMATION
>>722981567
>>
>>722981481
oh, right, skipped that part. Well, I say OP give it a try and see if it works, and report back
>>
File: 1465769646766.gif (408KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
1465769646766.gif
408KB, 500x345px
>>722976732
tldr you'll have to either get someone to set the drive from your old computer to slave (assuming that (a) you know someone that can do it or (b) the hard drive isn't a pata that won't fit in a new build )
steam has to be set up in the settings to point to your games folder or you'll have to re-download all of your games

here's where it'll get complicated
things like ms office will have to be reinstalled, this assumes that you still have the original discs, and that they are compatible with a new operating system
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.