[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to play pic related for the first time, any tips?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 6

File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53KB, 256x330px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53KB, 256x330px
I'm about to play pic related for the first time, any tips? I can't ask /v/ because I'm banned
>>
>>722915592
Dont think its a game supposed to be easy, youre gonna die over and over again so dont get mad eve if a rat kills you, thats the point of the game, the monsters are REAL monsters and anything can kill you if you dont put attention
>>
>>722915592
Also you should shoot to the tiddie of the grill in the temple of the moon guy
>>
>>722915592
Go with deprived class
>>
Its a rythm game.
Not getting hit is good.
>>
>>722915592
if you go into a graveyard with hella skeletons after firelink shrine, you're going the wrong way
>>
>>722915592
be patient
>>
>>722916488
Its not a "rythm" game, its a game that shows you how trifling you are to the monsters instead making you just pressing a button and kill 3 gods like kratos
>>
>>722915592
The story here its not linear
>>
Don't look up a guide or how to beat a boss until you're positive you need to. The game is pretty hard but honestly the best part is when you beat it and you know you did it yourself. One of the the most rewarding games I've played
>>
>>722915592
Go pyromancer and take the worthless ring as your starting item. Hold onto it til you are in blightown...you will see a particular sister...wear the ring and talk. It is worth it to get to rank up....
>>
After the first boss, theres gonna be an npc standing there. Kill him, hes gonna be a prick later.
>>
>Take your time
>Don't worry too much about class, there's not much difference in the long run
>When choosing a gift, the Tiny Being's Ring says it gives health regeneration, but that's a mistranslation, it just gives a small max health boost
>Go through Lost Izalith before Tomb of the Giants to avoid tearing your hair out in frustration
>When looking at a shield, the stats shown normally are the damage the shield does when used as a weapon. Press X/Square/Whatever the PC button is to view the extended stats to see how much damage of each type it blocks, and its stability, which determines how much stamina you lose when blocking an attack with the shield
>NG+ starts as soon as you beat the final boss
>Look for illusory walls, which disappear when you attack them or roll through them
>Try not to look up a guide until you beat the game, or at least right beforehand. You're gonna miss some stuff, but it doesn't matter too much because of NG+
>>
Play demon souls you filthy casual
>>
If you're gonna be playing dark souls from the first game upwards you need two things: controller and a third party app called dsfix 2.4 (remember to turn off everything in the ingame graphic settings for this to work properly).

Replaying dank souls 1 atm. Make sure to read up on how stats, item scaling and generally how items work. IT's going to be a big help to you.

Other than that I'd recommend not spoiling your experience by youtubing tactics for bossfights. Failing, getting back up and succeeding is part of what makes dank souls great =)
>>
when you choose your class and gift, DON'T pick the master key, that defeats the point, you're supposed to explore and find things for yourself and the master key is stupid
also prepare to die
>>
Also, gitt gudd faggit!
>>
>>722915592
Level up dex
>>
>>722915592
go blind and be patient. Also read item descriptions
>>
Walk, don't run.
I'm serious here, grab some tea or hot chocolate, bundle yourself up in a cozy blanket, and take your time.
The entire game is set up to punish you if you try to speed through it. If you get to a point where you wanna sprint forward, ask yourself "why" you want to sprint.

Also some general tidbits going forward:
Goat Mc2Dog takes extra damage from fire attacks
The dragon on the bridge has more health and a higher DPS than a lot of mid/end game bosses, but you can snipe the tail for a neat early-game sword
Points in Endurance is never wasted, poimts on resistance are always wasted
The life ring gift is misleading, it raises health instead of restoring it
Don't be afraid to look up how to access the DLC, but I'd hold off on looking anything else up
>>
What's the easiest DS game of the 3?
>>
Dex = pvp
Strength = mowing down bosses
>>
if you are musically adept, you can time the bosses attacks with the music in the boss background
>>
File: git gud.jpg (74KB, 600x888px) Image search: [Google]
git gud.jpg
74KB, 600x888px
>>722915592
>>
>>722917773
I thought 3 was a bit too easy, but that's probably because I played the others a lot beforehand. I think maybe 1 is the easiest. I had the most trouble with 2. The slow movement and swarms of enemies were pretty frustrating at times.
>>
Equip load under 25% to fast-roll. Level Endurance to get more. Strength to get more damage. Never level Dexterity.

Follow this guide to actually get online play. But don't summon help for your first playthrough. It's way more rewarding that way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/4ge5ah/beginners_guide_to_the_installation_of_dark_souls/
>>
>>722915592
I also just started it. I am stuck at the red drake bridge.

building up to carry the bass cannon later
>>
>>722918309
The bridge drake is a fucking asshole. It's one of the most bullshit parts of the game, and you don't even get anything good for killing him. Feel free to run past him.
>>
If you die a lot and don't spend your time mostly with humanity, you need to git gud.

But of course there are other factors that other people think make you gud. Like pvp :)
>>
>>722916547
U wot m8? He should absolutely go to the graveyard. There are good items there for newfags. He just shouldn't expect to kill the skeletons. Run and grab shit.
>>
>>722916902
Aww... You're a fucking prick tbh.
>>
As tempting as it is, I don't recommend picking the Master Key for your first playthrough - it's super useful (skipping Blight Town, getting the Large Ember early, etc), but it's definitely best to play through in the intended order first time.

Don't forget to upgrade your weapon. If you're going for a DEX-heavy build, I'd definitely recommend trying to get ahold of the Balder Side Sword early on.

Don't attack NPCs. A single hit and they will never forgive you.

Not all paths are clearly signposted. You can get back to the Asylum and get some important and useful items, if you can figure out how to get up to the bird's nest (hint: you need to have unlocked the elevator shortcut in order to do it)

Look at the chain on the side of each chest - if it's curved away from you, it's safe. If it's pointing towards you, it's a mimic.

Don't bother trying to fight the dragon on the bridge. Go under the bridge.

When talking to people, talk to them multiple times until they start repeating themselves.

Don't be afraid to look at the wiki. The game was made with community in mind, there's stuff you can't be expected to know. Just don't rely on it too much. Also don't trust every message you see ("try jumping" is almost always a lie"), but "illusory wall" means you can hit a wall to reveal a secret passage.
>>
>>722915592
should I try to get the noob sword (drake)? or will I be fine without? (I know I shouldn't try to level it up, but I just wanna do some damage now)
>>
>>722918671
You absolute fucking faggot. Are you trying to ruin everything for him?
>>
>>722918845
Don't do it.
>>
>>722916902
First boss is asylum demon
>>
>>722915592
You are either born a parry king or born a bitch.
>>
>>722915592
OP listen to me

I have a level of 643 on dark souls. the main things are that you want to pick up everything, you cant bring your guard down. and UNDER NO FUCKING CIRCUMSTANCES KILL ANY FUCKING NPCS
>>
>>722918845
the noob sword is not necesary, it's only good for a while and then becomes a hindrance, the best course of action is find a weapon you are comfortable with and upgrade it, you can finish the game with "starters" weapons this way if you want
>>
>>722919016
/thread
>>
>>722915592
hope youre doing it on console. Cant get that shitty game to play on pc.

One and two wont recognize the controller despite the common fixes being applied. So i went back to playing Lords of the fallen. Sure its a pale knockoff but at least it fucking works unlike shitty Fromsoft games
>>
>>722919016
Im serious. killing people can seriously screw up your entire game
>>
>>722919124
I play PC, kinda prefer it
>>
You should livestream op
>>
>>722919124
I'm having no issues whatsoever on pc, everything works great with dsfix
>>
>>722919124
You can get it to work - I did - but it's not really worth it.

I got as far as the Tomb of Giants, and I can't get any farther. KB+M is retarded for this game.

By comparison, I was able to beat DS3 on console just fine. It's an easier game in general, but the controls helped a ton.
>>
>>722919124
>>722919167
The Steam version of DS1 runs great. Just be sure to install dsfix. It's a small and free patch, apparently without that there are some bugs.
>>
>>722915592
learn to dodge.
>>
>>722919016
After you buy all the important stuff from the Undead Merchant in the Burg, you can kill him and get his Uchi though - I've never regretted that decision once.
>>
Not OP here but I haven't picked up Bloodborne yet, and was wondering if it is as good as it is said to be. Also I haven't played dark souls yet so I was wondering if it is better to play that first.
>>
>>722916429
do NOT go with the deprived class, it sucks nigger dick in dark souls 1
>>
manage stamina
dont get greedy with attacking
learn to dodge
learn to parry
game is now childs play
>>
>>722919598
git gud

Without really trying, I rung both bells in my fastest time using the deprived class
>>
File: Dark_Sun_Gwyndolin.jpg (457KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Sun_Gwyndolin.jpg
457KB, 750x1000px
>>722916197
>amazing trap ahead
>>
>>722919124
>>722919167
>>722919435
DSFix + connectivity mod gets my dick hard
>>
>>722919566
I love each dark souls. And me and my friend got bloodborne and it took us so long to get past father gasgione (spell?)

It's good and difficult in exciting new ways than dark souls. worth getting.
>>
Don't kill any of the NPC's, they all become useful later on. The only exception is that one shopkeeper that says "Nee hee hee hee hee" after everything. You get a kickass weapon from killing him. Just make sure you buy everything from him first.
>>
>>722919833
do you NEED the connectivity mod?
>>
remember to dodge and roll from everything, and block every other thing. don't be a hero.
>>
>>722918568
Excellent point
>>
>>722917418
You mean DEMON'S SOULS .
>>
1 circle around enemy
2 stab them in the butt
3 win
>>
>>722919901
Bloodborne was my first "Souls" game and it absolutely blew my mind. I almost got pissed off and gave up on it early, but I'm so glad I didn't.
>>
Pick Cleric or Pyromancer. Pyro gives you a fuckit that does great damage early on and cleric gives you extra heals. Also ALWAYS go with Master Key. There's a sword in the valley of the drakes that will one shot enemies in the Burg with 14 faith (cleric)
>>
>>722915592
git gud
>>
>>722919724
Superfast roll is helpful.
>>
>>722917173
Wasn't it that some classes were harder than others? Say the bare class
>>
>>722919982
Winged spear, nigga. Really underrated weapon.
>>
>>722919543
Lol he drops all the important stuff anyways (key, orange soapstone) unless you need arrows, bombs or the reinforced club he's useless
>>
>>722915592
kill every npc you meet, they always drop great loot
especially the guy at firelink shrine
>>
>>722919124
Dude just google it. All you have to do is shove a 360 button map into the game files for DS1
>>
>>722920324
In ds1 the depraived class isn't too bad, as you get a plank shield and wooden club, it's definitely not the best for a new player, but it's not as mean as ds2 where you're stuck with just fists.
>>
>>722918845
No. If you want to noob play as cleric or sorcerer. Cleric gets Astora's straight sword first thing in the valley and it does insane damage up to quelaag. Also lightning spears which do a RETARDED amount of damage against traditionally tough enemies
>>
>>722920354
Fuck spears. Tanking behind a shield is cool for a while but if you want any kind of mobility they are impossible to hit with when free caming.
>>
>>722920354
No man he needs his CHAOS TWOHANDER and GRASS CREST SHIELD. Plus the Father Mask from Pinwheel (it's the best fucking mask in the game)
>>
>>722920847
I never used a shield very heavily, including with my spears. You don't free cam though. Lock on and control your distance. I was much more of a roller than a blocker.
>>
>>722919901
Really? I spent a lot of time wandering Central Yharnam looking for a weapon so i found the music box and cheesed him fairly easily. Took me a while to figure out the parry timing though
>>
>>722921166
Different fag here. I got platinum in that game but I never found the music box. Parrying was an absolute whore to figure out, but worth it once I finally (kind of) got it.
>>
>>722920944
Grass shield ftw! Carried that puppy all the way to the finish
>>
>>722920944
the legend never dies
>>
>>722918671
Fuck off the master key is the best for early timers. It gets you Astora's straight sword, less assrape in blight town and most importantly alternate paths when you get stuck
>>
>>722917895
The overdramatic parrying tested my patience in 2. Instead of quickly deflecting and stabbing, you slowly raise your fist and when it works the enemy topples backwards like a turtle and you gotta run forward to riposte. It's an awful design. Also the health loss and more limited estus definitely crank the difficulty.
>>
>>722921165
Fair enough. Truly I dont mind them for some stuff (hollows room comes to mind) but i definitely prefer a wider hit box. I also tend to freecam a lot now that I just run around without being overly cautious.
>>
>>722921645
damn parry was shit in DS2, also how they trow hordes of enemies at you instead of carefully place them, and how each area seems disconected or is in a retarded location (see iron keep)
>>
>>722921314
It is legimately the best shield in the game. For any but the most niche builds you cant go wrong.
>>
>>722921260
Yeah it blows my mind that so many people never figured out that red lamps meant npcs and that you can talk at windows with red lamps. I watched Lobosjr do a blind playthrough and it was torturous walking him walk past the music box window over and over. I loved that it hid the puzzle in the item description though. The little girl doesnt tell you outright, but it also wasnt completey hidden info. You just had to read the description thoroughly
>>
>>722915592
Go to the catacombs right away.
>>
>>722918671
That's not quite true for NPCs, they generally agro after a certain amount of damage is done to them, not necessarily one hit
>>
File: GiantDad.jpg (75KB, 426x550px) Image search: [Google]
GiantDad.jpg
75KB, 426x550px
>>722921339
Indeed
>>
>>722921900
Oh yeah no doubt the world design is shit in DS2. The actual levels look cool enough, but the world doesn't fit together the same way as DS1 or Bloodborne
>>
>>722922319
levels are good if we ignore some cases with 10 enemies in one room instead of a smaller but carefully placed group
>>
>>722915592
how you get banned from /v/
>>
>>722919016
Except Lautrec, slimy git
>>
>>722922449
posting skyrim?
>>
>>722922429
Bien they threw some hoards in Dark Souls 1 too. Hollows room is pretty brutal, as are some areas of the Duke's Archives.
>>
>>722919969
Only if you want Coop/PVP
>>
>>722915592
Pick Pyromancer to start. Level 1 plus attunment right off the bat so you can build your character however you want. And get the master key. Or pick thief for the masterkey if you want the old witches ring or anything like that.
>>
>>722922463
Always, ALWAYS kill Lautrec. Fap ring is the most op ring in the game
>>
>>722922610
Plus the fireball rinses early enemies and bosses
>>
>>722922653
>>722922299
HEALTH
STAMINA
ENDURANCE

EVERYTHING YOU NEED
>>
>>722918568
>>722916547
>>722919982
>>722920354
This. I always try to kill pinwheel as early as possible so the next few areas feel really easy. But Ive also played the game like, a bunch of times.

I remember I got my very first build stuck at the second bonfire of the catacombs and could not for the life of me get out. I started a brand new build instead lol. Didnt come back to that one until after I had already platinumed the game. Im sure I could have gone back sooner but every time i looked at his stupid fucking face I got angry. I made him look fucking stupid and he was hollow as fuck and raunchy with no items a short sword and pants. I dont even know why I got rid of everything else or where it went. Every time I loaded up the game that smug, goofy smiley looking retard stared back at me, reminding me of how fucking stupid and terrible I used to be at these games.
>>
>>722921314
I almost always use grass crest. Sometimes if I feel beefy enough though Ill switch to any of the other crest shields. Thats pretty much it though lol
>>
>>722922546
yeah, but they never felt as bad as in DS2, i had even forgotten about the hordes in DS1, the only one i can remember was the bunch of hollows in the undead parrish and they where easy as fuck because you only had to fall back a little and you could lead them to a great choke point and murder them all
>>
>>722922981
I was doing a giant dad speedrun (as in trying to finish the Giant Dad build as quickly as possible, not a real, competitive type speedrun) and i decided to rest in Tomb of the Giants for easy warping since I had to kill pinwheel immediately every game until I got the father mask. Turns out you actually cant climb out if you do the drop. I totally fucked myself and had to reset
>>
>>722915592
>Keeping your shield up slows your stamina regen
>There's a ladder to the right on the bridge with the Taurus Demon
>Don't fuck with the Dragon, stand on the bridge below and shoot his tail off
>Keep rollin' rollin' rollin'
>>
>>722923118
Well in any case the hoards never bothered me as much as the boring boss design. They are like 90% dudes in armour. You get like maybe five or six interesting boss designs, and half of those are ripoffs of DS1 or total bitches
>>
>>722923299
Unless you are cleric, then run past on the top bridge to get an op lightning bolt and become fucking zeus
>>
>>722923279
>>722923279
Ha! Holy shit I never thought about that but I think you're absolutely right. Youd have to find a way to die where the game wouldnt know where to put you so it'd take you back to firelink or something. Thats insane lol.
>>
>>722923567
Yeah lol you cant even do that anywhere in lower catacombs or tomb of the giants. You are actually totally fucked if you dont have the lord vessel. So basically, ALWAYS homeward bone or darksign if you do the catacombs drop
>>
When you get to the part where you fight the spirits, you need to enchant your weapon to hurt them
>>
>>722923477
that too. And most the ones that where not dudes in armor where boring as fuck too, like the typical giant spider (wich also had a horde of enemies with it) and the Balrog of Moria. Also all boss arenas where the same
>>
OP do NOT read wikis, it spoils the game bigtime, its the most amazing game ive played, and i envy the first timers.

i found a compleatly new area to explore after 200 hours gametime NG+, that blew my balls.. if you read about that in a wiki, it wont feel as amazing

this game have a lot of secrets
>>
Get good, it's the only way to have fun.
>>
Alright cunts, what are some good DS1 builds?

Been lurking this thread for a while but just now got the itch to start a game.
>>
>>722923807
Or use a Transient Curse
>>
>>722924131
Ash lake or Painted world?
>>
>>722923807
Wat. There's no weapon enchantment that lets you kill ghosts. You need a transient curse, actual curse or a ghost weapon
>>
>>722923911
Duke's Dear Freja wasn't horrible (and had a kickass name) I was more thinking of the scorpion ass woman and the Iron King
>>
File: 20170115_174221.jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
20170115_174221.jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
>>
>>722924330
ash lake
>>
>>722924163
GiantDad if you havent already. Early game is kinda tough, but once you reach anor londo you will obliterate everything and be practically unkilleable. Alternatively being a sunlight warrior is fun, those lightning spears wreck house
>>
>>722924646
i did find the chest on an earlier run,
>>
>>722924646
Man that first time is amazing. The way the male choir music kicks in as you see this whole different world underground... It's almost emotional. Huge props to From for including such uniqueness in such a hard to find area.
>>
>>722924907
>>722924714
Underage b& GTFO
>>
>>722924907
i came so hard
>>
>>722925109
Underage b& GTFO
>>
>>722919598
if u collect all beginning soul items in nearbye locations you can start out with heal and enough faith to use it. you can only do this as deprived and its a decent build. Not nn d
>>
>>722915592
If you like 1 get 3 when your done just skip 2 its complete trash and not even made by the same people.
>>
>>722926361
3 is the biggest sellout. Just pandering to fans. Dark Souls and Blood borne are the two best
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.