[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon is the most perfectly crafted

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 16

File: maxresdefault.jpg (36KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
36KB, 1920x1080px
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon is the most perfectly crafted album ever made, from start to finish.

Agree?/Disagree?
>>
Its definitely one of the greatest albums of all time. There are definitely albums out there with better production quality, but the style and flow of Dark Side was so unique at that time.
>>
>>718029640
>Better production quality

Explain.
>>
File: Prism.jpg (2MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Prism.jpg
2MB, 2560x1600px
Fucking thank you. Changed my entire perception of life
>>
File: Spotify_2017-01-07_00-51-02.png (14KB, 819x81px) Image search: [Google]
Spotify_2017-01-07_00-51-02.png
14KB, 819x81px
check mate
>>
The best album of all time.
>>
>>718029790
I dunno what you mean?
>>
Stop smoking your shit ditch weed and get a life, fagnut
>>
File: PetSoundsCover.jpg (137KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
PetSoundsCover.jpg
137KB, 300x300px
>the most perfectly crafted album ever made, from start to finish.

this
>>
Dawg...

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Dude... That's amazing lyricism.
>>
IMO Dark Side isn't the best PF album. I think Meddle/Piper are better.
>>
>>718030130
Solid and really good, but not the PERFECT album.
>>
This guy >>718029640
has the right idea.

From both a production and engineering standpoint, it is such a masterwork that you can remaster it every 5 years with the latest cutting-edge mastering techniques and it will sound better with each iteration.

I have been on the Floyd bandwagon since 13 and find it is INSANELY overrated, but excellent nonetheless.
>>
Honestly, I prefer The Wall.
>>
by >better production quality
I just mean like the technology advances and the sounds become a lot smoother or richer.
As an example, I think the Wall has better production quality, but lacks in the musical originality and range that Dark Side had.
>>
>>718030292
Meddle and Obscured By Clouds are good for folks that don't want to listen to the overrated shit. Those are middle-of-the-road, transitional albums that provide a good window into what they were about at that time.
>>
>>718030292
Meddle is REALLY, REALLY good. I love that album, especially when I'm tripping. But it doesn't reach DSOTM's perfect pysychedelia and listenability.
>>
>>718030493
Preach. There's a reason James Guthrie is in charge of most of the remastering for Floyd today instead of Alan Parsons.
>>
The Wall resonates way stronger with me, I just wish I could find a non dark side of the moon PF shirt...
>>
but fr its downhill after the Wall
>>
>>718030493
yep
>>
>>718030493
You're not wrong.

But Pink Floyd was best when all members were firing on all cylinders. The Wall's best (four) songs were the ones that David Gilmour was involved on. DSOTM was everyone kicking ass.
>>
>>718030525
Yeah, Obscured is great as well, forgot about it lol (actually, I haven't heard Obscured since two or three years ago, I just never feel like idk y).

>>718030567
I just listen to Meddle sitting there doing as if I was playing the guitar. Or just listen to it while on public transport/work because it's fucking great
>>
It's very good.
I dare to say it is excellent, but it is not even Pink Floyd's best album
>>
>>718030909
I disagree. There's several that Roger wrote entirely himself that belong on Echoes: Nobody Home, Mother, Vera. David helped fill out Roger's musical inadequacies and awkwardness, but Roger wasn't incapable of writing good songs.
>>
>>718031162
Yes. It will always be The Wall.
>>
File: IMG_2161.png (728KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2161.png
728KB, 750x1334px
>>718029384
Try again
>>
>>718030519
I disagree wholeheartedly. The production on DSOTM was better, and the the musicianship was FAR more inspired. The Wall, while very, very good, felt forced, and it had a lot of really forgettable songs. Dark Side was good beginning-to-end.
>>
>>718031277
Nice dubs but... you've got the wrong pink there, pal
>>
>>718029736
he doesn't know what he's talking about. Dark side has some of the best production for its time
>>
>>718031123
If you know your shit (not saying you do, but this goes out to the layperson), Obscured is a soundtrack to La Vallee. It's overlooked in a way because it is sort of a stopgap between "real" albums Meddle and Dark Side.

The only songs I dislike are Burning Bridges and Stay (I can tolerate the former but the latter is more annoying). Call me crazy, but Absolutely Curtains is beautiful with that Moog work.
>>
>>718031277
This belongs in a god-tier thread, not a Pink Floyd one. Move along.
>>
>>718031219
Echoes was a song (and a good one at that).

Roger waters is a capable songwriter, absolutely. But he NEEDS everyone else for it to work. The Final Cut was only okay.
>>
>>718030238

>got goosebumps reading that

Love that song-sums up my wasted life too fucking perfectly. Time for another drink
>>
I enjoyed Wish You Were Here more than DSOTM for nostalgia, but for those psychedelic moments, Dark Side is the best.
>>
>>718031480
Yeah, I knew it was from a movie, didn't know which one tho

I think Burning Bridges is ok, don't even remember Stay so it's probably not a great song, and Absolutely Curtains is the gem of the album I dare to say
>>
Yes. Close To the Edge
>>
>>718031266
Kek
>>
>>718031617
Echoes, the compilation, not the song itself.

That is correct about Roger. David probably fits the bill even more - see the credits for Momentary Lapse and The Division Bell!

The Final Cut is better than "okay" in my mind, but it isn't without its problems; Not Now John has some of the laziest writing Roger's ever put into a song.
>>
>>718031737
This guy gets it.
>>
>>718030909
Oh yeah definitely. As much as I like some of the songs on The Wall I rarely listen to all of it in one sitting. With DSOTM each time I play it I'll usually space out for an hour.
>>
>>718029384
very much agree

hands down the best single album ever made
>>
>>718029640
>albums out there with better production quality

Fool, Dark Side of the Moon, particularly the 92 remaster, is used to test Audiophile quality stereo set ups all the time.
>>
>>718031825
Alright, wise-ass - you think it's DS or WYWH?
>>
File: pope-hookup.gif (172KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
pope-hookup.gif
172KB, 320x240px
>>718030130

Amen
>>
>>718030130
The songs are too short and mostly about girls. The musical instruments/arrangements are god-tier and vocals sound great, but it's not perfect.
>>
>>718032032
Explain.
>>
>>718032088
>>718032220
>>718030130
Good, but not PERFECT.
>>
>>718032237
Are you the dissenter or asking for elaboration on my reasons for arguing with the dissenter?
>>
>>718030435
>I have been on the Floyd bandwagon since 13 and find it is INSANELY overrated

forgot to add...now that i'm 14 and are much smarter than b4 n that
>>
>>718032316
Better than good, but yes, not perfect.
>>
>>718032032
I'm not the faggot you're looking for, but I think there's a tie in between those two (Meddle is the best PF album anyway).
>>
>>718032220
Sorry. I quoted you earlier. You're not wrong.
>>
>>718029384
Probably, yeah.
Nevermind inventing half the technology they used making it, it's utterly perfect.

Not my favorite, or even my favorite Floyd album, but it is pretty damn well the masterpiece of studio recordings.
>>
>>718032318
I'd like some reasons. DSotM is fucking perfect. It doesn't have to be your favorite album or whatever, but it's the BEST one. Ever.
>>
I know ill be in the minority here but Wish You Were Here is the best Pink Floyd album for me. I understand that without Dark Side of The Moon this album wouldnt exist but what they created in that album they perfected it in Wish You Were Here.
>>
>>718030238
>And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
>No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

Those 2 lines scared the shit out of me as a kid, and are largely responsible for my "say yes to everything" adventures and misadventures of my 20s & 30s.
Now I'm 40, and those lines just sort of make me sad. There's nothing you can do to prevent them from coming true.
>>
>>718032462, STAQRT
Nobody has made an album that was close to that good, START-TO-FINISH, as Pink Floyd did when they made Dark Side Of The Moon.

They fucking NAILED IT.
>>
>>718030909
>The Wall
>best songs
>four

>four songs

lol
Have you ever even listened to that fucking album?
>>
>>718032445
It's also worth mentioning that the Beach Boys were mostly auxiliary vocalists for Brian Wilson and didn't actually play even 95% of the instruments on the album.

Brian worked with musicians known as The Wrecking Crew, a collective of session musicians that played on many of the most successful hits of the 60s; Phil Spector utilized them pretty heavily in his heyday.

The Beach Boys, up until then, were known for their songs about surfing, cars and girls. Pet Sounds was Brian's vehicle for musical sophistication that NONE of his bandmates were able to match. Philosophically, it is a Brian Wilson solo album with the Beach Boys as his backing vocals (but yes, Mike Love and Carl Wilson make pop-up appearances on a few songs).

Brian wrote the album with Tony Asher (lyrics), and it's mostly about girls.

Many of the sophisti-pop/Baroque-Pop albums of the 60s don't hold up well in a modern context and are mostly treated as antique relics worth appreciating - but hardly as a trite-and-true classic transcending time.
>>
>>718032032
Well, there is a tie between Atom Heart Mother and Live in Pompeii
>>
>>718032653
OP here.

No disagreement. Wish You Were Here is a really, really good album. I LOVE it. It flows kinda like Dark Side, but it is limited in its scope, so even with great songs, it isn"t "perfect."
>>
>>718032444
Meddle's fantastic, but it loses me on A Pillow of Winds.
>>
>>718032917
I have. Lots.

The best songs on The Wall were Waters/Gilmour.
>>
>>718032731
They would only make you sad if there is regret in your life, I would think
>>
>>718032318
I'm the dissenter you're talking to >>718033114
>>
>>718032841
I think what's the funniest thing about Dark Side is, Gilmour wanted a really wet lush mix, and roger wanted a really dry harsh mix, and both made their mixdowns, and argued for them til it finally drive the eventually catastrophic wedge in the band, and in the end, it took Alan Parsons, their engineer at the time, to sit down with both mixes, realize neither were right, but not wrong either, and blend them together like the sonic ubermensch he is. Both David and Roger were so dug in to their sides, they both hated it. And everyone else on earth loved it. AND, we've only heard some of it, because there was a quadraphonic mix made, that had extra guitar parts, and vocals, more sound effects, and different arrangements to utilize the 4-speaker imaging of the system.
>>
>>718029384
this album changed my life
in the year 2000

since then i became a huge Pink Floyd fan and have other favorite albums before this one, but i still love it and think of this as one long song
>>
>>718033114
Pompeii was pretty cool, but not representative of what they'd be. A good listen, but not much else.

>>718033256
Dude... "One Of These Days" is a KILLER song. "Pillow of Winds" is a speed bump on the way to Echoes.
>>
Incorrect.

Funnel Cloud by Hem takes that title.
>>
>>718032627
Dark Side of the Moon was a trend-setter and a pioneer thanks to guys like Alan Parsons who worked on the album. The lyrical content holds up today surprisingly well (as does quite a lot of Pink Floyd content).

However, it is one of the most 70's sounding albums; as a result, musically, it's very dated. That Wurlitzer is a fucking relic at this point and I do cringe slightly when I think about it.

On the other hand, when you look at The Wall, it does have some fairly "old"-sounding pieces (Young Lust, Run Like Hell, Brick II), they sound crisper with each release, and that's the beauty of modern technology. I was the one that made the comment that Dark Side with each new remaster will sound fucking great, but The Wall was produced at a time when other groups when Steely Dan (another group notorious for their efforts in seeking perfection in every way, particularly with the production/mastering elements of the album) were leaders in engineering perfect albums; Rumors by Fleetwood Mac also sounds amazing. Dark Side is a victim of time, produced and mastered years before those aspects of music were being perfected; Dark Side is great FOR ITS TIME, but not timeless.
>>
>>718030493
the wall is so different from Pink Floyd overall. I love it, but if you just show someone the Wall they really don't have a good impression of "Pink Floyd" as they were for most of their career. if they heard something off of animals or Wish You were here or DSOTM they probably wouldn't think of them as the same band
>>
>>718033676

Mr Dumb here.
What is a quadraphonic mix?
>>
>>718033676
I could be wrong, but I think Chris Thomas was the guy that helped finalize the mixes and not Alan Parsons. Parsons was there during recording but Chris Thomas came in at the end when Roger and David had their disagreements.
>>
>>718033676
But the album is what it is, regardless of whatever Alan Parsons said. Waters hadn't asserted himself yet. Pink Floyd NEEDED Waters with the lyrics/vision, and Gilhmour with the musicianship. Dark Side had the perfect mix of both.
>>
>>718033366
isn't there regret in everyone's life? how dishonest would you have to be with yourself to consider every decision you ever made as being the perfect one?
>>
>>718033366
It's inevitable.
My friends who stayed in our small hometown have regret they didn't go out and have the adventures I did, & just stuck in their easy jobs, got married/ kids early and are bored and miserable feeling trapped, never having had the chance to grow up independently to be their own person. I went out to travel and learn cultures, playing it fast and loose with girls, and avoiding commitments and material burdens, and sure enough, I never stayed in one place long enough to put down roots, finish my degree, build a decent career, date a decent woman, own a home, etc etc etc, and am basically a 40yo 18yo.

Grass is always greener I guess.
>>
>>718033988
wrong
it's timeless
it's a classic that will be held up as a gold standard of rock music as long as rock music is discussed
what are you, stupid or something?
>>
>>718033988
>Wurlitzer
You mean the Hammond B3 complete w Leslie rotating speaker cabinet?

That's timeless shit, anon.
>>
>>718033988
Whoa, hard disagree.

Pink Floyd forged new territory without getting TOO bizarre. They found the perfect balance between "intelligent" and "technical." It's *perfectly* timeless.
>>
>>718034363
Agree totally. Usually I can ignore the waste that is my life, but Time reminds me that I cant ever get away from it
>>
>>718034065
Quad is another 70s relic. Basically, it pre-dates the notion of modern sound mixing like Dolby 5.1.

There were specially produced albums with mixes that were suited for Quadrophonic audio, which used a four-speaker setup. Some of the Floyd albums were mixed additionally with this capability (i.e. Atom Heart Mother and Dark Side). It didn't survive past the first five years of the 70s and I highly doubt there's a modern sound system that would support Quadrophonic vinyl.
>>
>>718034255
Roger got ENRAGED when asked if that's what Pink Floyd was (Gilmour: music; Waters: lyrics).

Paraphrasing, but something to the effect of: "That's fucking rubbish. People have this notion that David is somehow more musical than I am. He needs to have a vehicle for his guitar playing and he is a fucking great guitar player. But that's rubbish about him being more musical."
>>
>>718034577
A gold standard, but a very OLD gold standard.
>>
>>718030493
Same
>>
>>718034255
I agree with this idea. Waters provided the "soul," but Gilmour made it matter.
>>
>>718032731
How do I make sure I don't reach that state, im 19 and got kicked out of college for a year and going back this september. I legit am scared aand have no idea what to do. add to that im fat and can barely hold a convo with girls

this song is just getting more and more real for me
>>
>>718032653
>I know ill be in the minority here but Wish You Were Here is the best Pink Floyd album for me. I understand that without Dark Side of The Moon this album wouldnt exist but what they created in that album they perfected it in Wish You Were Here.

Agree. Wish You Were Here in left hand and DSOTM in right hand, picking left hand everytime.
>>
>>718034388
That's funny, but it's a state of mind, I guess. I was busy partying and going hard from 17 to about 36, then I went into rehab, stopped taking drugs, and basically woke up. I've got lots of life experience and a beautiful wife, but no career, no prospects, a broken mind and body, and absolute regret. Like I said, it's a state of mind. If I could just trick myself into believing I'm ok, things would be better.

Tldr-time is an awsome song
>>
>>718034940
OP here.

I don't disagree with Waters' assessment. However, the band never worked as well as it could have unless everybody was contriubting the best they could. From Animals->on, they were good, not great.
>>
>>718035593
The Wall is the exception.
>>
How is there anyone who doesn't at least UNDERSTAND Pink Floyd? Goddammit, you don't have to like them, but you have to *get it.*
>>
>>718034813
Thanks. That's interesting. I'm a child of the 70's, and I remember the richness of sound that records played on quality equipment held
>>
>>718035593
Animals is also Rick's Last Stand. I think there's some great moments from him, particularly on Dogs (which stands as a least favorite of mine on the album, but I acknowledge high points within that song).

If Roger decided upon the chord progression, that, among other things, determines that he basically wrote the song. If on Dogs, David made certain contributions (he is credited as co-writer), I would think he made it sound prettier in places - namely during the key change to C-ish during the solo (multi-tracked).
>>
>>718035358
plan well and take advantage of your time and don't waste it. take advantage of your youth. start working out and get skinny. finish your degree, but do it in something you want to do for years. don't just get through college to get a job doing something you hate just for the money, because that won't last for more than a decade before you begin to really regret that choice.

look, time flies and you're going to end up there. the best you can do is mitigate, not eliminate, that feeling
>>
>>718035835
my wife. but shes a female so...
>>
>>718036055
One of the best examples that I can recall hearing about with Floyd and Quad is Money and the money intro sounds, beat-by-beat, happening in different speakers. up until the music actually starts.

Floyd actually had the first Quadrophonic live audio mixing board, so that was another development they helped foster..
>>
>>718035358
Dude, you're fucking 19. You've got your whole life ahead of you. I'll give you the advice I wish I got at that age.

>while you're young, work as hard as you can. Study. Get qualifications. Train your body and mind. Life can be fun, but you only get one shot at it.
>work hard when you're young, so life isn't such hard work when you're old

Good luck, and don't be a fag
>>
>>718036347
So quadraphonic is an old style of recording and mixing music? So you can still appreciate it while listening to cd's on a modern good system?
>>
>>718035729
I know The Wall is a lot of peoples' (PF fans and otherwise) favorite Pink Floyd album, but it has a lot of songs that are difficult to listen to start-to-finish, and a lot of throwaway tracks. It would have been better as one album, after consolidating the best "the Wall" songs and cutting the rest.

The Wall couldn't have better better. But Pink Floyd was always best when everybody was pushing their musical talent to the brink.
>>
File: pf.jpg (2MB, 1434x3554px) Image search: [Google]
pf.jpg
2MB, 1434x3554px
>>718029384
I like PF.

Dark Side is good, but there are a lot more hidden gems inside...
>>
>>718036283?Chicks love the Pink Floyd (once they get* it).

I dunno what other advice I can give.
>>
>>718031277
What even is this shit
>>
>>718029384
>back when albums were meant to be played as a whole
>>
>>718037109
Not outright. There are "reproductions" of Quadrophonic mixes that are actually folds of the four-speaker setup to the two-speaker setup that generic Stereo recording is known for having (left and right channels). To actually enjoy it, you'd need a legitimate Quadrophonic stereo system from the 70s and a Quad-mixed album.
>>
>>718037138
Dem Boots Yo
>>
>>718037308
Filthy Frank - The Pink Album. Youtube
>>
G.O.A.T.
>>
Where can i download all of the Pink Floyd's albums in 320 kbps?
>>
>>718037114
I wouldn't consider them total "throwaways" given that it's a strict concept album where every song is important to the narrative. Quality could be considered spotty, but not many "throwaways". The only one I can't stand is "Don't Leave Me Now".
>>
>>718037138
Hidden gems? Well, yeah. Go a new, kick-ass one?

I hear something new every time I go back and listen to a Pink Floyd album.
>>
>>718029384
pretty much.

atom heart mother is my favorite Floyd album tho.
>>
>>718037547
>320 kbps
Download FLAC you fucking idiot
>>
>>718037379

>To actually enjoy it, you'd need a legitimate Quadrophonic stereo system from the 70s and a Quad-mixed album.

Why not a modern, state of the art system?
>>
>>718037138
You REALLY need to fix some of those ID tags - especially on Radio KAOS
>>
>>718037746
They sound the same
>>
>>718037109
Well yeah... sort of. It was four discrete channels, to be played to four separate speakers set up fairly precisely. Most of the time, engineers were lazy and just panned guitars and vocals to the 4 channels to fill out the range envelope.

BUT, if you put some effort into it, and mic'd your booths and/or rooms according to a specific layout that people could replicate placing their speakers in those positions, the effect was, if the singer wandered 3 feet over to the side and looked over at the guitarist, the sound waves hitting the mics would be at specific levels and reverbs based on that, and the listener, having arranged their speakers in the proper position, would be replicating those levels at the speakers, and would get a sort of inverted motion effect of the singer moving around on stage... it never really worked, because of course the singers amplitude is falling off leaving their mouth toward the corners of the room, whereas the sound reproduced from the corners of the room, doesn't amplify its way back to the location of the singers mouth in the room, it also falls off on its way there. You get into some interference fringe patterns that can help recreate the effect, but most of that is lost in the practicality of the speaker setup.

Pink Floyd just used it to zoom crashing planes and helicopters and crazy guitar effects all over the place and add motion to their albums to scare the bejeezus out of the listener if they'd made the mistake of eating some shrooms beforehand. Gilmour pointed out that going from 2 channels to 4 meant there was a lot more space to fill, where the sound was so spread out it felt something was missing a lot of the time, so more guitar parts and vocal fills were added to round it out.

The Floyd created a little electronic controller for Quad, that bacame much more than quad, I think they were up to 64 channels, live, with a little joystick, and they could pan the focal point of the sound all over the audience.
>>
>>718037575
You're not wrong, but The Wall, as a concept, lends itself to some difficult individual songs. 2/3 of the tracks are really good and listenable.

I really, really, like The Wall. But it's overly self-indulgent in a lot of places. Gilmour's guitar is what saves the album and makes it timeless.
>>
>>718037775
Because a modern turntable would not be able to support a Quadrophonically-mixed album.

Also, the re-produced Quad mixes are again, fold-downs. They are not the 100% authentic mixes that could represent what they sounded like on a Quad-based sound system in a home stereo environment.

For the aesthetic experience, that is why I am insisting that using the real thing would be the only way to 100% experience what Quad was like.
>>
>>718030238
Philosophy-level wisdom right here.
>>
>>718037919
Well it's true that 320kbps is technically as good as FLAC, but there are other reasons to get music in FLAC.

Hearing the difference now isn’t the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is ‘lossy’. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA – it’s about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don’t want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.
>>
>>718038031
This guy's last point refers to my own mention of Floyd having the first Quad-based mixing board. This capability was aided by the "Azimuth Coordinator", which is the joystick contraption he's talking about.
>>
>>718037675
OP here.

I can't fault you for that, but you like a very different band from the one that made Dark Side of the Moon.
>>
>>718029384
I like this album but i like Wish you were here more.
>>
>>718038085
Overly self-indulgent? Absolutely. It's basically Roger's semi-autobiography with Syd bits here and there. And I'm sure you know The Wall's protagonist is named "Pink Floyd" anyway.
>>
>>718037138
Hey post a torrent of these. ill download the fuck outta this or give me a link or something!
>>
>>718038031
Thanks. That was a good, understandable explanation
>>
>>718038146
Roger Waters wrote that when he was really young, and said on Marc Mahron's(sp?) podcast that he no idea how those lyrics came out of him. Looking back... holy fucking shit, they laid down some heavy shit...
>>
>>
>>718038089
So how have modern recording techniques surpassed that style of recording (probably a big question, I know). Also, would you have a link to somewhere with good information on all of this?

ps. Makes me wish I insisted on keeping all of my dads' stereo equipment when he passed away. Oh well
>>
>>718038471
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:6c9826bbed2e8483d8719af2a905983f2a78d060&dn=Pink+Floyd+-+Discography+%5BEAC+-+FLAC%5D+%28oan%29&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fpublic.popcorn-tracker.org%3A6969
>>
>>718029384
Agreed also mine favorite.
>>
File: TrippyHand.gif (658KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
TrippyHand.gif
658KB, 500x400px
>>718038337 got to be so
"Pink," as The Wall's protagonist, was largely based on Roger Waters, after the audience got so obnoxious that he spit on someone who was in the front but being unruly.
>>
>>718038337
Rogers entire career output is his autobiography with bits of Syd and his Dad and whoever he's pissed off at interspersed. I fucking LOVE Waters, and PF can never fully be PF artistically without him, but, man, he is a tremendously pompous windbag. However, without that pompous windbagiosity, who the fuck would have written any interesting lyrics to all those songs?

Every time a Waters solo album drops, my friend and I buy the CD, and make bets on how many pages of lyrics are going to accordion out when we open the slipcase.

He just did a really great interview on Maron. Maron talks to people for 30-40 minutes. Look at Waters time: 2hours. All I could do was roll my eyes and laugh. Wouldn't be waters if it weren't verbose as fuck. Buut that's why we love him.
>>
>>718029384
Strong agree
>>
What do you guys think about Animals by Pink Floyd? I really enjoy that album,but many people don't. Why is that?
>>
>>718034588
That was a great instrument. I'm sure someone is using that sound, if not the organ itself.
>>
>>718038805
Oooooo that's a good one right there
>>
>>718038335
No argument. "Wish You Were Here" if fucking great. It deserves to be in the discussion, but is it on the level of Dark Side, as a fully-honed album. It should be in the discussion, but I don't think that, as a whole, it's a good as Dark Side.
>>
>>718039271
It's a great album compared to most, but compared to other PF albums it pails in comparison.

TL:DR good but not best
>>
>>718038912
This guy >>718038031
is probably better equipped to help refine my explanation, but I think I can provide you a basic answer:

Don't think about how the media is produced and the recording process as necessarily being the same. In modern recording of music, it hasn't undergone a huge change in transformation; digital recording, which got its start in the 80s, is still the mainstay of recording today. When the tracks are recorded, they are then sent to the mixing stage where consideration is given to how the tracks for a song will be balanced for public consumption.

Make the assumption that about 95% of today's music is mixed using the standard two-channel setup: Left, center and right. Center is sort of a blend of the left and right. This is largely because we want our music to be portable and easy to listen to; also, this two-channel configuration is the cheapest and most common configuration used for most small-scale sound output devices; you couldn't expect a person to listen to a 5.1 or Quad-based mix of an album/song through headphones and being played back on a phone successfully.

The remaining 5% might be specially-produced mixes for fanboys and audiophiles. Floyd DEFINITELY has 5.1 mixes out there as do other groups that have these mixes prepared for special occasions. These mixes will only sound proper on stereo systems utilizing a 5.1 stereo setup. These extra channels (mostly "rear" channels) can be used for other sounds or instruments. The same thinking can be applied to Quad; the sound will not render properly unless whatever media holds the properly formatted Quad audio is played back on the right system.
>>
>>718034588
It sounds amazing, but it's a 70's sound.
>>
>>718039271
Better than people remember. It's a "rocking" album, not an adjective I can use to describe much of their output.

>>718039595
It's great, not just good; agree on the not god-tier part.
>>
>>718029772
I know what you mean anon
>>
>>718039595
Wha...? What PF album doesn't top it?

>>718039271
Really like it, and even though it's "really only 3 tracks," each of those is kicks ass, especially "Sheep," which is "One Of These Days.
>>
all oldfags XXXTENTACION makes increadable music, you're all deaf or brain dead. I can't tell
>>
>>718033256
Pillow of Winds is beautiful, dreamy and a lovely snoozer, a comedown after the madness before the fun middle bit, and then that fuhuhuhucking closer...

still love the pompeii mix better than the album. dat percussion fuWHUMP tsh puhBOOM
>>
>>718029384
Meh, I think it's excellent, however, I have to differ and say that The Wall is a better album.
>>
>>718029384
Are you high?
>>
>>718039154
If you listen to the bootleg(s) that document that event, it's a hell of a document of the night that inspired The Wall. You don't have many moments in musical history that can be traced back and referenced like that; this is one of the many reasons why I remain a Floyd devotee.

Roger sounds positively evil and it could just be that the source tape being played back at an inadequate speed adds to the ominousness. "COME BACK BOY! ALL IS FORGIVEN!"
>>
>>718029384
The Wall was better imo. I may be biased because I love the movie to bits.
>>
>>718032220
>>718032316

u fukin wut m8?

Pet Sounds is the greatest Pop-Rock album ever written. Nothing even comes close. Sgt. Pepper has not aged nearly as well and as a concept is hardly developed at all beyond the the title track.

fukin fite me
>>
>>718037775
Quad was four channels, like stereo is two. Not really better quality, just interesting to have components of the music coming from more points. I guess someone could do 4.1 or 5.1 similarly, though the rear speakers in quad were generally same as the fronts...not supposed to just be accents.
>>
>>718029384
100%
>>
>>718033256
>>718040090
Meddle is a really good album, if you take the time to listen to it.
"One Of These Days" rock out like a motherfucker. Pillow of Winds is a little sleepy, yeah, but they come back in a big way wwith "fearless." HARD disagree.
>>
>>718040214
Nope.
>>
>>718039828
So how does a quadraphonic stereo system compare to a 5.1 system? Is it simply channels? Not sure if that's the right question
>>
>>718038163
You're an idiot. Digital music doesn't degrade. It is specifically designed to sounds exactly the same every single time. Where does the data go? Outer space? it's zeros and ones dude
>>
>>718040306
The songs on Pet Sounds are all great, but does the album, as a whole, stand up to Dark Side? I say it doesn't.
>>
>>718040306
While true, I don't actually feel a desire to hear Pet Sounds anymore. It's weird. It's a masterwork of utter genius, but as far as something I want to hear, eh... all those songs have been redone better by the band themselves numerous times.

The Pet Sounds sessions, now, that is some fucking interesting shit. Brian was a god damn savant.
>>
File: AliceTrippy.gif (444KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
AliceTrippy.gif
444KB, 500x381px
>>718040382
This guy gets it.
>>
>>718040344
So if everything is master recorded in high quality, why isn't all music produced in equal sophistication/quality? Is it too much effort? Expense? Because the masses simply wouldn't appreciate it?
>>
>>718037675
atom heart mother is complete trash. Even pink floyd themselves hate it
>>
I get that most people will say it's not "real" Pink Floyd, but does anybody have an opinion on the last song on the last Pink Floyd album?

It legit-honestly does make me tear up when I hear it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGBM5vWiBLo
>>
>>718040516
Yeah, if I had to name one, Meddle's my favorite album.

Short and sweet like AtomHeart, musically more varied than DarkSide (especially if you include Biding My Time), a bit more raw, less polished and a yet more out there and experimental, but without getting lost in the weeds like some of the ethereal labyrinths that preceded it.

To me it's the sweet spot in the floyd development. I wish I'd been there for that.
>>
>>718040638
Simple explanation:

Quad = 4 speakers.
5.1 = 5 speakers, but designed for a specific configuration - two sets of left and right speakers, one for front, one for back, and a "center" speaker.
>>
>>718041107
>Last Pink Floyd Album
>>
>>718040668
I will listen mostly only to the instrumental versions because it's great to hear Brian at work.
>>
>>718041075
They do hate it, but even the English are some of the most self-deprecating bunch of individuals in the world.

It's good; it's not perfect, but it's good and more worth its salt than the band feels it's worth.
>>
>>718041316
Thanks. Makes me wish I still had my friend who was learning to be a sound engineer. This is all really interesting
>>
>>718041075
They used to say that, and then I heard them talking about how even wacky directionless ideas that didn't turn into something wonderful took the same amount or more work to make them, and you just never know how it's going to come together until it's done. And when you have something like AHM, and people don't take a liking to it, all you can do is try to distance yourself from it and move on.

There are a couple pretty great live numbers that originally came from the middle of that album. ...before taking on a new life of their own as 20+ minute jams full of some beautiful sections and sweeping melodic crescendos and spiralling descents in to what sounds like quite a lot of robots having a war and then a rock band making as much of an uproar as possible. Fat Old Sun. Fun song, as it turns out.
>>
>>718041349
Okay okay... However, "Endless River" isn't a real, full album. It's good as a tribute to Richard Wright (RIP), but it's mostly ambient.

Doesn't really count, IMO.
>>
>>718041785
I listened to it once.

I felt sad that my favorite band was truly done.
>>
The division bell is begter
>>
Sounds like shit compared to
https://youtu.be/bAMKwm0uOIg
>>
>>718041075
They were directionless when they make it, and it still somehow resonated with listeners. I think they didn't even expect the album's success.
>>
>>718041316
I thought 5.1 was: FL, FR, BL, BR, Sub. ?
>>
>>718038163
lol

That's not how the signal loss happens in... its in the signal compression algorithm, not the storage medium... .mp3 is lossy bc the codec clips frequencies the average human ear was once thought to not hear, to shrink file data set, but many human ears can indeed hear those freq ranges and the effect is audible distortion. The replicated signal is distorted from the original. It's signal loss, not data loss.

wtf
>>
>>718041987
The last track on "The Division Bell" (High Hopes) perfectly encompasses that feeling. They were done, walking away, everyone knew it, but they acknowledged all the trials and tribulations that got them there, and how innocence was destroyed along that way, right or wrong.
>>
>>718029384
Relax, ladies, better enjoy the quality of a good vinyl!
https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4044540
>>
File: 51CN86ZEM6L.jpg (62KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51CN86ZEM6L.jpg
62KB, 500x500px
There is no perfect. But I know what you are saying. Here is one of my favorites.
>>
>>718030292
>IMO Dark Side isn't the best PF album. I think Meddle/Piper are better.
I like more Meddle and Animals.
>>
But where's is the original mix? I see the 2011 remaster, only this.
>>
>>718042098
What is this easy listening schlock doing in this mans Floyd thread?

Your punishment will be: a bottle of scotch, a dark room, and The Final Cut on repeat for three straight days. If you haven't smashed the bottle and slit your own wrists by the end of it, you'll have found the motivation you need to live every second of your life with clarity and purpose and not waste time twiddling about with twaddle like this ever again.
>>
It definitely changed my perspective of life. It's the album that turned me on to Pink Floyd, now my favorite band. And they have the greatest guitarist ever, David Gilmour.
>>
>>718042607
That's what I thought. Though I should preface that by saying I'm not particularly intelligent.

But what's the 0.1 then?
>>
>>718042796
Yeah. I just didn't want to believe it after DB had so much decent material. I was sure they still had something left in the tank and would do another one.

Endless River was like them saying, "seriously, we're spent, we've got nothing left in the tank but fumes. Really, we've given everything we had to give, and the well is dry." There's a kind of satisfaction in that too, versus so many bands that end prematurely and leave you wondering what could have been.
>>
File: Sin título.jpg (873KB, 1366x730px) Image search: [Google]
Sin título.jpg
873KB, 1366x730px
>>718029384
What do you think?
>>
>>718042948
Explain? You're not *wrong*, but Dark Side of the Moon (IMO) is a much better album (start-to-finish) than either of those.

Animals has 2 throwaway tracks (1 and 5), and Meddle doesn't have much past "One of These Days" and "Fearless." "Echoes" is sot of it's own animal, which sums up Pink Floyd pre-Dark-Side. It's great, amazing in parts, but it's very space-y and never really KILLS it.

Meddle is one of may favorites to listen to while tripping, and that's definite;y worth something, but it's not one I can just drop and let it go, outside of "One Of These Days.
>>
>>718043736
>Meddle is one of may favorites to listen to while tripping, and that's definite;y worth something, but it's not one I can just drop and let it go

Oh, you're one of *those* "fans". Good luck to you.
>>
>>718043161
Comfortably Numb is what inspired me to learn to play guitar. That solo conveys a level of emotion I could only hope to achieve in words. David Glimour is a mythical guitar god to me.

>nailed it
>>
When I listen to Shine On, it makes me literally cry.
>>
>>718044176
That solo on Momentary ProLapse with the BLRRRR-BRRRR-BLRRRR-BRRRR

Fucking terrifying.
>>
>>718044140
>one of *those* "fans"

I like Meddle and listen to it on occasion, but there are times when it PERFECTLY sits with atmosphere of whatever I'm doing. LSD or no.
>>
nope. To Pimp a Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar was the most beautifully put together and thought out albums of all time.
>>
>>718044176
Gilmour is definitely a god on the guitar, makes his Fender guitar speak, gave a different face to Pink Floyd.
>>
>>718044374
Which song on MLoR? Most of the sub-par songs of post-Waters Pink Floyd are salvaged by Gilmour's solos.
>>
>>718037919
Do you have shit in your ears ?, a FLAC will never be the same as an MP3!!!!!!
>>
>>718044536
Gilmour doesn't play super-fast or super-complex, but that guy hits every single note PERFECTLY. What makes him so good is his ear, not his hands/fingers. He just plays the perfect note every time, slow or fast.
>>
>>718044631
Comfy Numb, second solo, Gilmour reaches a crescendo and just hauls off with that two-chord bending thing that just sounds positively evil.
>>
>>718044906
Comfortably Numb was on "The Wall," and while it's my favorite guitar solo of all time, Waters had a hand in the song itself.

MLoR had a lot of Gilmour Solos, but they weren't as inspired as Comfortably Numb.
>>
>Ctrl+F "wish you were here"
>10 found
May niggas
DSOTM is excellent but I really love WYWH bcause its heavy importance in my life.
>>
File: 1479789988140.jpg (195KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1479789988140.jpg
195KB, 1920x1080px
>>718029384
personally I LOVE Wish You Were Here more, it hits me harder. But The Dark Side of the Moon is definitely the best album. I recently went to a show in my town where they showed TDSOTM, The Wall, and WYWH with 3d animations synced to the music. trippy as hell and loved it so fucking much. Pink Floyd is the best band to ever exist. period.
>>
>>718044891
And he manages to wring a gallon of emotion out of every fucking note... like a note is never just a note, it's falling in from the note before it, its wavering with the rhythm, trailing off or punching up to match the dynamics of what's coming next, rising up to meet the next note, dripping wet with finessse. The telling thing about Gilmour other guitarists who've played with him have noted, is that gushing sound of his, well you can hand him any guitar, and he'll make them all sound like that, because it's in his technique, not in the equipment. He makes a les Paul sound like a start. And he can turn it in and off as needed. The guy has his styles for rhythm and soloing he usually likes to play within, but if the song calls for something else, hell spring right into that just as capably. Gilmours not a shredder, but what he does do, he is very, very good at.
>>
>>718045202
WYWH Is killer. The feels and all.
DSoTM is the best album ever.

>>718045329
This gets it.
>>
>>718045094
Yeah, I'm retarded, I was talking about CN on delicate sound of thunder, the live album of the MLoR tour. It's almost 4am, I'm just about seeing things.
Thread posts: 206
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.