[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of going to my first AA meeting, does anon

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: nectarofthegods.jpg (40KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
nectarofthegods.jpg
40KB, 800x449px
I'm thinking of going to my first AA meeting, does anon have any stories about starting AA?

What's it like walking in the first time you ever went? Did you make friends/connections? Did any part of it work for you?

Pic related, my wet dream from a few years ago when I was hitting it hard. 1.75 of Red label every 3 or 4 days. Im starting to slip into my old habit again and I'm seriously considering giving AA a try.
>>
I had to go a few times after a DUI. Was dreading it but the people were all nice and wasn't bad.
>>
>>714408027
AA is a cult. "It doesn't work unless you work it"... or someshit like that.

It's not going to cure you; you have to want to become sober. Nothing else is going to save you from yourself.
>>
>>714408027
AA doesn't work.
The success rate with AA is the same as the success rate without AA. Well atleast according to the statistics from the 80s. They don't realse their statisics anymore for some reason.... Doesn't matter though, the format and everything is exactly the same as it was back in the 1930 when it was conceived.

AA relies on a God to help you deal with your shit. The first step of AA is to tell yourself that you are useless and powerless and hand yourself into the hands of God.

There are better options out there, including medication
>>
>>714408195

...So by your logic I'm thinking of going to my first AA meeting because...I wanna become a more efficient drinker?
>>
>>714408292
Are you speaking from experience or are you just assuming?
>>
>>714408314
Try that, yeah. You'll find out you're just a human being.

Nah, I really have no idea where you got that from. You must be another low IQ anon
>>
>>714408443
The statistics that were leaked speaks for themselves.

Here are the first 7 steps, you can do them yourself at home and see if they help:

> 1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.
> 2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
> 3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
> 4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
> 5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
> 6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
> 7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

Seems more like a religious cult than anything else, no?
>>
>>714408507

>"you have to want to become sober"

Implying I am considering going to AA because I don't want to become sober?
>>
>>714408655

So what if I'm considering going not for the step and god so much as to have a place to talk about my problem with other people that have the same problem? What if I want to use AA to make friends that want to do other things than drink?

Is there any poster in this thread that has physically gone to a meeting or is this just a thread of people who have all decided to dismiss the idea without actually trying it?
>>
The only thing that made me stop drinking like a maniac was to start taking Kratom. But now I'm addicted to it. Its like choosing a lesser evil.
>>
>>714408655
I've been to actual Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, and I can attest that this is the vibe. However, anyone who wants to change their lifestyle could benefit from its devoted community. You need to want to become sober in the first place.
>>
>>714408943
I've been looking at my local meetings online and most are in churches, what about meetings that are just open forums that don't take place in churches? Are they still all preachy about God?
>>
They don't even talk about "God" that much. Its just a bunch of personal stories about drinking tragedies and what helped them.
>>
>>714408703
Their motto really is a self fulfilling prophecy. It allows people who want to become sober a refuge and a belonging. I didn't come to endorse them, but you're baiting me to agree with their position
>>
>>714409085
That's right
>>714409037
Some people are. It's an Irl forum. Go to the one not in a church if that bothers you so much. Stop being an atheist and become agnostic.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.