[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you consider the Attitude era to be overrated and given

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: WWF_Attitude_Logo.png (103KB, 400x436px) Image search: [Google]
WWF_Attitude_Logo.png
103KB, 400x436px
Would you consider the Attitude era to be overrated and given nostalgia driven love?

>promos took up most of the time
>the matches were mostly shit
>>
Nostalgia desu senpai, wcw was already doing edgy stuff, wwf just took it up a notch. And how much of it was just austin fucking with vince?

Ruthless Aggression era was better desu
>>
RA was better, and in some ways, edgier.
>>
That's how it should be, since the main purpose of Raw is to build to PPVs, which should contain most of the wrestling. Three matches per show would be fine by me, providing the storyline content of the show was intriguing.

There are other good things about that era as well, e.g. the fact they had two top stars instead of just one, and a whole heap of legit main eventers just beneath them in the form of Undertaker, Foley, HHH, Angle, Kane, etc.
>>
it had its pros and cons for sure. It made WWF take much more risky moves and leaps of faith (as opposed to the bland safe product of today).

I mean could you ever imagine a guy like Mick Foley ever being given a similar push in modern day WWE? It just would never ever happen.

On the other hand this devil may care attitude also saw a lot of weird stupid shitty gimmicks and angles.

Over all though it was definitely more good than not. Especially the main event scene
>>
It was the only period in time where Vince was forced to give the fans what they want instead of telling them that's what they want, so Hell fuckin' no.
>>
>>966953
>That's how it should be, since the main purpose of Raw is to build to PPVs, which should contain most of the wrestling.
A format like that cuts options of storytelling drastically in prowrestling.

>>967190
>It made WWF take much more risky moves and leaps of faith
You sure? All the stuff in the vein of Austin were ideas Vince essentially took from Paul Heyman and Foley style push was also based off Foley's work in the ECW (though to be fair Vince apparently helped ECW out when they were about to run out of money and this was years before WWE bought ECW out.)

>>967191
>Taker v HBK
>Bret Hart v HBK, Owen, Austin
>Punk v Cena with Punk coming out on top
>Bryan at WM 30

Yup, never gave fans what they want.
>>
>>966865

I bet your favorite wrestlers are Edge and CM Punk you underage b&
>>
>>967213
Hi OP!

> Bryan at WrestleMania 30

Not really a good example to dispute the "Vince only gives the fans what they want once he's forced" case.
>>
>>966891
>>966898

>RA was better

Yes, the era people grew up with becomes better cause mostly you were too young or weren't even born to experience it.

>RA was better

Only Smackdown was better, RAW was pure donkey balls dominated by Triple H promos opening every week and boring lazy booking where evolution went over everyone and hogged all the titles.
>>
>>967225
RA is both among the best and among the worst for this very reason.

>>967221
It was gonna be just Batista and Orton originally though, no?
>>
>>967230

You can't say RA was better just cause one show was better. Smackdown launched towards the end of the attitude era and it served its purpose well cause it had cross-over appeal.

Can't believe anyone was watching RAW between 2004 - 2008 and enjoying themselves.
>>
>>966865
It was far better than what we have today, but yes. It is remembered as being much better than it was. Not to say it wasn't great, but it wasn't this perfect thing.
>>
>>966865
Compared to the RA Era, yes. Compared to the PG Era, not even close.
>>
>>967230
Yeah, until a myriad of externals forced Vince's hand.
>>
>>966865

Underage detected. Every single division from top card to the low card with guys like Too Cool and Hurricane was entertaining, even the women were better workers than most of the divas today. Most of the best and iconic matches in this industry come from that time period, the wrestlemanias were great too, and the tag team division will literally never reach that level of talent again.
>>
>>967213
>All the stuff in the vein of Austin were ideas Vince essentially took from Paul Heyman and Foley style push was also based off Foley's work in the ECW

Oh absolutely. WWF straight up "borrowed" a LOT of ideas and concepts from ECW for the attitude era. I don't dispute that for one moment. Having said that it was still a massive risk for a Triple A production like WWF to push such provocative content to the forefront. ECW was revolutionary in a lot of ways, but they also didn't make very much money. Even in stealing ECW concepts, WWF were essentially playing russian roulette with their lively hood.
>>
>>966865
>>promos took up most of the time
>>the matches were mostly shit

Both of these make me think you never saw much Attitude. Promos were much much shorter than they are now. Every once in a while you would have an extended skit (the DX invasion; This is Your Life; some of the Ministry and NoD stuff). But there was way more in-ring time than today.

Also the matches were ludicrously varied. It was the most hardcore era of WWE, but at the same time you had some of the most technical shoot wrestlers ever: Blackman, Shamrock, Severn. Then there was a bunch of pro wrestlers who didn't hog the limelight, but who would have been better than anybody if they were around now: JJ, D-Lo, Xpac, Takamishinoku. That they get overlooked today just shows how much talent there was in that roster.
>>
>>967296
WWE and ECW worked together the whole time. I would not be at all surprised if the reason ECW broke from NWA was based on some kind of assurance from Vince on high that even if their business went tits up, he would still buy them out. Just theory, but there was a definite alliance there from day one. And ECDub acted with this level of confidence in what they were doing that makes me think they had a Plan B if it didn't work out.
>>
No, it was genuinely good, and specially entertainment.

Like many said before, it has its "buts" sure, but compared to what RAW is now?, it's wrestling heaven, and just like many already said too, while RA smackdown was GREAT, you had RAW on the other hand that was as shitty as it's today.
>>
>>966865
So exactly whats happening now?
>>
>>967241
Does 2011-2014 count as PG era? Cuz guys like CM Punk, Bryan, Rollins, Cesaro, etc. put on much better matches. I will agree that 2006-2011 PG era was boring in every way imaginable.

>>967244
Too Cool and Hurricane were all gimmicks not good matches though that's an awful example.

The iconic meme is crap, too. A lot of the "iconic" stuff was just stuff with a lot of hype built around it with not much actual storytelling (akin to Hogan vs Andre which is considered an iconic classic moment but damn that match was awful.) The tag team division at that time was spot monkey stuff rather than an actually interesting tag team division.

>>967307
>promos were much shorter
No they weren't. Lots of promos, lots of skits.

>technical shoot wrestlers
Strong style sucked in Japan and it did here too.

Guys like D'Lo and Michinoku were great, but Attitude was not their best match moments not even close.

>>967385
Current RAW is early PG era bad of course AE is better than that. But then, RA Smackdown and outside of Cena v Rock 2011-2014 had more consistent match quality while also killing it on storylines (CM Punk and Bryan's big ones in particular.)
>>
>>967797

> guys like CM Punk, Bryan, Rollins, Cesaro, etc. put on much better matches

Way to out yourself as underage.
>>
>>967464
In terms of what era we're in? A few names have floated about like "reality era", but to honest I think we're past the stage of easily definable eras now in WWE.
>>
>>967797

The only thing people will remember about this era is the awful writing, low ratings and maybe just maybe the boom of women's wrestling.

>CM Punk, Bryan, Rollins, Cesaro, etc. put on much better matches

No, not really. Cesaro? We had Benoit and Kurt Angle who never missed a step, literally two Cesaros every single week.

Not a single division sucked. All of them were great. All kinds of wrestling styles.

From high flyers like Mysterio and the Hardyz, even Shane McMahon, to hardcore matches from Mick and RVD, to technical stuff (know you smarks love this one) from the likes of Angle, Benoit and Malenko, to good ol' hoss fights from Kane, Big Show and Taker, to spotfests between the Dudleyz, APA and E & C, to psychological mastery from Austin, Y2J and The Rock and the pure art of getting people hyped for a damn scripted match using words alone.

You literally missed the golden age of wrestling, and I really feel bad for you if you think CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan is the best it can ever get.
>>
>>968013
>Benoit
Was not part of the Attitude Era by the time he came back RA was becoming a thing.

>Angle
Had his best matches during RA.

>Mysterio
Also didn't come to WWE until RA

>Shane
>Does one crazy spot and is given cool status

>RVD
Was in ECW during AE and came to WWE around the tail end of it

>Dean, Jericho
Came halfway through the AE. Dean specifically had better matches at ECW and WCW.

>pure art of getting people hyped for a damn scripted match using words alone.
Yup, that's all AE could do. Words only, no real wrestling

>Big Show
>Ever good at all

Hell you bring up Austin as an example, and AE might have been more or less "his era", but despite that it was the weakest era of him wrestling wise compared to the classics he had put on in NWA/WCW and with Bret.
>>
>>967797
You shouldn't even be browsing this site, son.
>>
>>968060
>Strong style
No you are way too borderline with your definition of eras. Attitude didn't end the moment WCW folded. Just like it didn't begin right after the curtain call, despite what haitch-marks will brainlessly repeat.

The radicalz landed in WWF at the peak of Attitude.

Saying that everybody had better matches at other timesis just something to quantify, so your whole post just sounds like failed edgelord.
>>
It has the best characters and matches you cared about. Everyone sold hard. That entertainment factor is what's most important.

>caring about how "good" fake fighting is

This is why everything after got shit. Nobody besides fucking nerds cares how many fake mat reversals someone does.
>>
>>968142
>Attitude didn't end the moment WCW folded.
I never said it did.

>The radicalz landed in WWF at the peak of Attitude.
Yup. Just in time to job to DX in a boring as shit match and split within a year.

>Saying that everybody had better matches at other timesis just something to quantify, so your whole post just sounds like failed edgelord.
Well, Angle's feuds against Benoit and Lesnar were for sure better than his stuff in AE because he wasn't overshadowed by AE style main event garbage. Benoit's RA feuds with Angle, Lesnar, and HBK/HHH at the end were better than his Radicalz jobbing to DX crap. Mysterio seriously wasn't there during AE, spending the first half of AE in WCW and the second half doing Lucha stuff. Same with RVD except he was there for the last year.

>edgelord
You have no idea how to use that term. You're no different from people who think irregardless is a real word or use literally in the wrong sense. Resorting to name calling bullshit is logical fallacy level bullshit enough; taking it to the next level by showing how uneducated you are is even worse.
>>
This kids not even arguing that he isnt underaged. Why are you guys taking anything this little retard says seriously. Who gives a fuck if the matches werent "technically brilliant" they had good build and entertaining spots in them and the ratings speak for themselves. All ruthless agression was was a period between the attitude era and wwe becoming crap.
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 256x192px
>>966865
sure faggot go hail john cena and roman gypsy king
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-BWXnD96s8

attitude was the golden age faggot same like PrideFC was for MMA
>>
Do people even know what Golden Age means? The Golden Age of Prowrestling, depending on how one looks at it, is either the 40s/50s or the 80s.
>>
>>968212
Your posts are pretty worthless dude. But I get the feeling that you think sitting there with wiki-knowledge is something better than shitposting. It isn't. Your posts make it sound like you don't even remember the Attitude era at all.
>>
>>968248
As a proper now, The Golden Age is absolutely 50s or 80s. But "a golden age" can be applied to any really strong period of anything. Attitude WAS a golden age.
>>
>>968248
you crazy dog ?
attitude made so much money compare to 80s
it was the golden age go google company finance records and you will see
40/50/80 was just a murica thing attitude was worldwide the Golden age
>>
>>968257
*proper noun

I'm not even using voice recognition here...
>>
>>968251
Less shit talking about me, more on topic, shitposter.

>>968257
No, golden age as a term/phrase does NOT work like that, and it never has. It's only people who have no idea what it means that use the term the way it's being used to describe the AE right now. If anything, AE is more like WWE/F's Bronze Age.
>>
File: 1316738100901.gif (1MB, 175x131px) Image search: [Google]
1316738100901.gif
1MB, 175x131px
>>968273
>he thinks the phrase "Golden Age" was invented by the WWE marketing department
>>
>>968284
Now this b8 doesn't even make sense, Golden Age has always meant the same exact thing since the term's invention by the Greeks.

>b-but you see, I am only pretending to act stupid
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
>>968308
shush now wikibot. adults be talking.
>>
>>967797
>Does 2011-2014 count as PG era? Cuz guys like CM Punk, Bryan, Rollins, Cesaro, etc. put on much better matches. I will agree that 2006-2011 PG era was boring in every way imaginable.
The PG Era is 2008 and on.
>>
>>966865
>20 years from now
>promos took up most of the time
>matches were mostly shit

Man thw PG era fucking sucked. It's mainly nostalgia driven.....oh wait it's always going to be like this.

Get raped
>>
>>966865
Attitude Era > Ruthless Aggression > Golden Era > PG Era > New Generation
>>
>>968846
I think the real difference is that the promos were just better worked in the late 90's

They just gave them a very loose talking points, and pretty much let them loose beyond that. It made for much better worked promos, and it's how someone like The Rock really found his major strength. It's an apt parallel to his cousin Roman Reigns, in that he also couldn't get over initially. So he eventually turned heel and started shitting all over the audience and whatever opponent he had, and he went nuclear.

Just goes to show what can happen if you let someone work their own way. With WWE now most promos are tightly scripted, and i'd reckon that's a large reason behind why promos are so fucking dull. Rather than going out and being natural, they are stiff as fuck as they try to remember what line comes next in the character that has been arbitrarily assigned to them. Reigns for example is apparently chill as fuck backstage. Generally a very laid back character. But for whatever reason WWE sees fit to put this odd fitting "bad ass" persona on him that just doesn't work.
>>
It is my favorite era but this is subjective and will not shit on anyone who has a different opinion
>>
>>968851
Attitude > Golden > ruthless > New Gen > PG

^^This is definitive. Please don't dispute it.
>>
File: Hogan and Andre.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Hogan and Andre.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
>>966865
The best era of wrestling was the Golden Era. It literally saved the WWF/E from going bankrupt.
>>
>>967816
vanilla manlet era
>>
I started watching wrestling a couple years ago. I'm 25.

Without the historical context, the current product is better.
>>
File: my visor doesn't lie.gif (70KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
my visor doesn't lie.gif
70KB, 720x480px
>>970392
>the current product is better
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.