[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

found a bjj place that doesn't give belts based on hours

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11

found a bjj place that doesn't give belts based on hours clocked on the mat. Promotions every 6 months

blackbelt in 2 years here I come!
>>
>>945542
>hours clocked on the mat
promotions are supposed to come with skill
>>
>>945552
apparently you can fail the belt exam. but I don't intend to fail any of them.
I think it's kinda bullshit how many organizations create this artificial scarcity of blackbelts by basing it on how much time you spend practicing. If I can take one class a week and catch on I shouldn't have to log hours upon hours for the sake of getting a new belt

I think it's pretty mcdojo to force people to have a certain amount of time, its just price gouging
>>
I think it's a good idea not to base skill on time spent on the mat.

Some people progress faster than others.

Some teachers are better than others.

You don't need to have passed intro to psychology to know and understand these things.

>blackbelt in 2 years
kek
>>
>>945566
>I think it's pretty mcdojo to force people to have a certain amount of time, its just price gouging
This, to be completely honest, non-biological family.
>>
>>945566
>apparently you can fail the belt exam.
I thought it said: "apparently you can't fail the belt exam"
at first, so I disregarded your post.

Good on ya, mate.

Also, nice repeating digits.
>>
>>945566
>I don't intend to fail any of them
I intend to become a millionarie before 25
>>
>>945542
Go get that black belt in two years and have fun being ripped apart by the average competing blue belt. That'll make you look good, and it'll feel awesome.
>>
Are you kidding me? Being on the mat is fucking important. You need to compete repeatedly as well as practice constantly to get that black belt.
>>
>>945796
did you really give it your best effort though?
like how much time did you spend brainstorming on ways to carve out your niche and then attempting to execute to see if it works?
>>
>>946087
honestly I was watching a video with those young gracie brothers in california talking about this and they said most of the time blackbelts are people who are one trick ponies, get really good at executing <5 techniques and just coast their way to the top. They win the competitions so it doesn't matter their skills are very shallow because all they need are mediocre skills to stay alive and chance to set up that one technique they have mastered.

they weren't saying it's a good thing, they were just remarking that it's the reality of it
>>
File: 1416604633376.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1416604633376.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
>>945542

OK, you got me to reply.

If a TKD school gave promotions based on time /asp/ would be screaming McDojo. Even BJ Penn who is literally called a prodigy only managed to get his BB in 3 years, it's supposed to take around 5 or 6.

Let me guess, you signed a contract? By that school's logic your white belt stuff takes as much time to perfect as your BB techniques. Especially if you're going once a week, this is pretty sad.

>>945738
>I think it's a good idea not to base skill on time spent on the mat.

So it's a good idea to base skill on time spent signed up for the school?

>Some people progress faster than others.

Yeah, and if I've had previous grappling experience and I was ready for a blue belt in 3 months I'd have to wait around another 3 rolling with scrubs to learn new shit.

>>945566
>artificial scarcity of blackbelts

Better than a surplus of artificial, unqualified black belts.

You ARE logging hours, two years in fact. Belts every X months are just a carrot in front of the horse keeping impatient teenagers from quitting. When it gets hard you end up thinking, "Just 8 more weeks until I can get my purple belt and tell everyone how tough I am". Observe the purples and browns and even BBs, there WILL be a difference in skill from people with the same belt who have been there for the same length of time and everyone will be wanting to learn from certain people and avoid others because they're incompetent.

Saying I deserve a BB in 2 years because of time is like saying the entire national guard deserves to be Special Forces because they spent the same amount of hours in basic as the guys who get invited to be Green Berets.

Let's say you go once a week for 2 years and every class is 2 hours, which is pretty generous. 52 weeks in a year, 2x52 = 104 hrs x 2 which comes out to 208 hrs to get a BB.

Fucking I've spent 208 hours on a mat. Give Fats his BJJ black belt please. Your BBs probably don't even have cauliflower ear.
>>
>>946318
>you signed a contract?
naw I didn't
>Your BBs probably don't even have cauliflower ear.
I don't understand how failing to tend to and treat an injury properly is supposed to be a badge of honor?
wear an ear protector and drain that shit if it happens
and this is totally grappler bullshit too, boxers have just as much risk of developing the deformity but they actually try to drain it because they aren't proud of it. being proud of a cauliflower ear is like walking around with a sign at all times that says "hey look at me! I failed to properly defend myself several times!"
>>
>>945542
Just do no-gi jiu jitsu. Less bullshit and effective.
Don't be a G in a Gi.
>>
>>946358
porque no los dos?
although I think their no gi people still have belts, they just don't wear them
>>
>>946352

You focused on literally the least important parts of that long-ass post. Glad you didn't sign a contract though because you'll probably want to leave once you realize you're paying for shit.

The reason I like name-brand MAs as opposed to hwarangdo and shit is because you're universally recognized as being at that skill level. If I got a legit TKD BB, I could walk into a TKD school on the other side of the country and I would be the same level in their eyes as I was at my old school as long as I could actually prove that I knew my material. Go into a gracie or 10th planet place and roll with your 2-year BB, they'll think you watched some grappling youtube videos and bought it off the internet.

If belts matter to you then you're at the right school, but if skill matters to you, you're not. I wouldn't want grappling lessons from a guy who got his BB in two years. If you suck at fighting and suck at teaching, the only use is to brag to people that you have a BJJ BB. And if you're that guy, you deserve to have your arms snapped by an actual jujitiero.

Worst case scenario, you learned watered-down, "streamlined" BJJ with like half the techniques you'd normally get. Best case scenario, you learn everything an actual BB would and don't get the chance to practice it well enough to get good or remember it.
>>
>>946561
the alternative is getting officially certified by the ibjjf

oh you want your blackbelt acknowledged? $400 please

basically I think bjj is the most widespread scam in the martial arts world today, it's a lot of paid for certifications and price gouging very much like how karate was in the 90s
>>
>>946679
>bjj is the most widespread scam in the martial arts world today
Not to mention the cult mentality, and all the people drinking the "BJJ is the very best art ever" coolaid.
>>
>>946318
Fats, good to see you again. Where you training these days?
>>
File: elias_hardknocks_weighin.jpg (135KB, 960x677px) Image search: [Google]
elias_hardknocks_weighin.jpg
135KB, 960x677px
>>946679

>$400

Yeah that's some pretty hard jewing, but in a lot of family-owned culty arts you'll get that. There was a big fiasco in Hwarangdo where the grandmaster demanded 50% of all the earnings from every BB's dojangs and a lot of people just said fuck your certification, I'm out. They just kept teaching without the blessing of Dr. Joo Bang Lee. Nobody can take your skills away from you, you just might not get the advertising on their official website.

TKD probably did the same thing for awhile but after enough people have black belts you can kiss your monopoly goodbye because there's no way to collect from thousands of people teaching your art miles away from your world headquarters. Obviously BJJ is at that point of popularity if schools like OP's are popping up, there's no way it's endorsed by anyone with actual credentials.

>>946702

I can see why people think it's sweet. You learn some good stuff right away and it's really effective in 1-on-1 combat on a nice soft mat. But as we've been over, it's kind of shitty IRL unless your town is paved with nerf and there's only one guy in existence with no friends who wants to fight you.

>>946741

My sweet, sweet Gobbles. Young Gobbles. The delightful Doctor Gobbles. How are you? What are you training, my brotha?

For me, currently yoga and ballet. Laugh all you want, but I look good in the tights.

My fitness is shit right now, but hopefully I'll start the hard shit like boxing and finally BJJ in the next couple of months.
>>
>>946991
I'm doing great. Health is looking up, I'm training full time at a place that has a real professional stable. I was at UFC Fight night Saturday, to support our fighter.

That's why I don't post much anymore, there's not much fun in yelling at delusional morons when there's training to do. Today I had a half an hour kickboxing private lesson, an hour of strength training, an hour of Muay Thai, and an hour of BJJ. I'm fucking beat.

>For me, currently yoga and ballet. Laugh all you want, but I look good in the tights.
You forget I'm queer AF anyway. Sign me up for ballet, I'll look fucking PRETTY in tights the way my legs are looking.
>>
>>946991
I'd prefer neutral faces over those fake ass smiles.
>>
File: 2016-02-04 00.56.32.jpg (1MB, 1060x1883px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-04 00.56.32.jpg
1MB, 1060x1883px
Did my first class. What the fuck? Nobody told me I was actually going to get hurt doing this
>>
File: 1238921314.jpg (8KB, 200x265px) Image search: [Google]
1238921314.jpg
8KB, 200x265px
>>947913
>>
>>947913

Lose weight
>>
>>948318
that crease is my elbow not my wrist
>>
>>948403
Lose weight

pay denbts
>>
>>948717
I really don't have any weight on my arm to lose, the skin is tight
>>
>>947913

That's like the widdlest boo-boo OP. Get used to mat burn or wear a guard.

Man the fuck up and lose weight.
>>
>>946991
>unless your town is paved with nerf and there's only one guy in existence with no friends who wants to fight you.

ahh, the good ol' "your knees will explode and you can't fight off an army with bjj " argument
>>
File: 2016-02-04 14.39.39.jpg (315KB, 1078x604px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-04 14.39.39.jpg
315KB, 1078x604px
>>948761
It's really just the angle that makes my arm look fat because it's on top of my bicep
>>
File: exploding knees.png (329KB, 384x800px) Image search: [Google]
exploding knees.png
329KB, 384x800px
>>948765
Average BJJ user.
>>
>>948779
This angle makes your arm AND your chest look fat.
>>
>>948779

>That shoulder hair

>>948765

BJJ doesn't work against multiple opponents. It just doesn't. I mean i guess if you were a super high level and you could take a guy down, snap something, then roll up and take on the next guy, but even that's unlikely.

You will get kicked on the back of the head, smash your own knees, and roll in around rocks.
>>
>>948780
ahahaha, im saving that.

>>948793
no shit it doesn't work against multiple people - nothing does. unless you're a high level striker and you're fighting absolute nonathletic shells of people, you will get your ass kicked no matter what you practice trying to fight multiple people.. (except gun-fu of course )
>>
File: 2016-02-04 14.48.32.jpg (67KB, 498x224px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-04 14.48.32.jpg
67KB, 498x224px
>>948786
It's all angles, I'm working towards bear mode, skeletons need not apply
>>948793
Men should have body hair and be >200lbs, it's just how I feel
>>
>>948802
>Men should have body hair and be >200lbs, it's just how I feel

what's up rippetoe
>>
>>948802
>It's all angles
If all the angles make you fat, you're just fat. Stop eating so many angles.
>>
>>948801
>except gun-fu of course
gun-fu is a striking art. you're striking your opponents with bullets.

gun-fu is really just long-range boxing.
>>
>>948968
pretty clearly not fat in that picture, I have very clearly defined muscles including abs which are not pictured

you realize that "ideal" 2% body fat thing a lot of guys go for isn't a good thing? I'm between 11%-13% which is the ideal range for good health
so you can go ahead and destroy your organs and joints if you want though, doesn't make a difference to me, I'll just be over here being way stronger and healthier than you

side note, when you look at fighters I hope you have noticed its only guys in lighter weight classes that are rail thin, because they are obviously trying to stay as light as possible. take a look at the heavier weight classes and you will see what a body is supposed to look like since they don't have to worry about cutting weight
>inb4 implying roy nelson is healthy
you know what I mean
>>
File: Gregor-Gracie-bw-copy1.jpg (100KB, 500x705px) Image search: [Google]
Gregor-Gracie-bw-copy1.jpg
100KB, 500x705px
>>946991
Fat Cobra, come join my gym. This is what our new BJJ instructor looks like.
>>
>>947913
>hurt
>that

That's a bruise, not exactly an injury worth mentioning.
>>
>>948802
>It's all angles

Said every "curvy" chick on reddit

What do you weigh, OP? Fatty won't judge. Nothing turns the ladies on more than hairballs after blowjobs.

>>949045

OP, are you more of a "real man" than this guy? Thass what I'm talkin bout.
>>
File: 1422898808739.png (313KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1422898808739.png
313KB, 500x379px
>>945542

OP is a big fat hairy pussy who whines about tiny bruises and scrapes and expects his BJJ black belt in 2 years.

God damn /asp/ has gone downhill.
>>
>>949143
215, and yes I am. Cormier body is best body
cutting down like that only has weakening effects on you, there is literally no benefit other than aesthetics
>>
>>949187
your stamina will improve. you dont have to be small to be cut. just cut to like 12 percent body fat and bulk from there without turning into a fatass like you are now.
>>
>>949187
you could fight at a lower weight class and still have all your strength and have better stamina. All that fat you have isn't making you any stronger.
>>
>>949235
>just cut to like 12 percent body fat
not sure how you expect me to cut to where I already am

besides, cardiovascular stamina is a non-issue, being overly muscled will just burn energy faster, and in the case of a skinny guy with no fat, when he's out of gas he's out of gas, he wont have any fuel to pull off of once his lunch is burned up.
>>949240
if you are on a restrictive diet to stay as lean as you are, you don't have enough fat on your body. You make it out like I'm obese, I have a 34 waist and need to wear a belt.
>>
>>949247
you are at least 20 percent body fat.
>>
>>949247
something like>>949045 is 12 percent body fat.
>>
>>949249
trust me I'm not, you also don't know what my legs look like, they barely have an oz of fat on them. I have had 9 site skin fold measurements done more times than I bother to remember
>>949251
he is probably no more than 5%
>>
>>949264
3 to 5 percent is like what bodybuilders cut to before competition. you cant maintain that low level of body fat in a healthy way. the guy in the picture is around 12 and you look around 20
>>
>>949271
nothing else to really say other than you are wrong
there are plenty of guys walking around at 2% who aren't muscle beasts.
Byambajav Ulambayar was competing at around 11% body fat and he looks way fatter than I do because his tits sag and his belly is huge. It's all about how you carry your weight, not everybody fattens the same way.

get your body fat tested, the results may surprise you. and I don't mean on a scale because those don't work, I mean with calipers and math.
>>
File: Neckbeards.png (60KB, 200x195px) Image search: [Google]
Neckbeards.png
60KB, 200x195px
>>949187

>Thinks he's more fit and manly than greg gracie
>expects his BB in 2 years
>weighs 215 lbs of what could possibly be a small amount of muscle

If you were so manly, you wouldn't be sobbing on the internet over your little bruise.

please tell me this is all a joke OP. I want to wake up.
>>
>>949334
he could probably do more pull ups than me, but I bet you I could lift more than he could in his wildest dreams
being proud of having a better strength to weight ratio is like being proud of being the best pound for pound fighter

the best pound for pound fighter is a long winded way of saying "objectively not the best fighter"
so being pound for pound stronger just means he isn't as strong by any metric of reality

BB in 2 years, mark my words. will update with every promotion
>>
>>949346
>BB in 2 years, mark my words

Oh, I don't doubt it. As long as you stay at your school for two years you'll get handed a BB.

You just won't be any good.
>>
>>949383
I will be great! and I will defeat the people who doubted me because I believe in myself

you guys are kind of mean, I came here all excited about something and everybody just called me fat and said I suck
>>
>>949409

You're like a tubby naruto. Welcome to 4chan.
>>
>>949470
tubby ;_;
>>
>op trolling everyone

come on senpai
>>
>>946217
You're pulling our leg harder than a Sambo world champion.
>>
>>949409
>you guys are kind of mean,
Where do you think are you?
>>
Who here simply aiming for /bluebelt/?

There's a guy who has been training at my dojo/gym for like 3 or 4 years, and he only has his blue belt. The head chief has over 25 years of experience, and the second black belt has been doing it for like 12 years I think
>>
>>953305
Took me like 6 years to get a blue belt. But I wasn't training consistently. Injuries, work, other shit always got in the way. I've had my bluebelt for about 18 months now and am only on one stripe. Feels bad man.
>>
>>953323
Yeah, this guy trains like 4 or 5 times a week I think
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.