[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 285 and want to get into martial arts namely because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_mdrfov36LH1rq3did.png (145KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mdrfov36LH1rq3did.png
145KB, 500x357px
I'm 285 and want to get into martial arts namely because of my goals to become a Police Officer in my near future. I do not want to automatically resort to a gun, it's kind of sad to do that when you're supposed to protect.

Anyway what would be a good start for me? I used to do a lot of cardio and a little bit of strength training, but fell out of it due to school. I believe that right now I am at 20% bodyfat? (I do really want slim down, starting my diet tomorrow.)

I was thinking starting off with grapple and weight based martial arts like wrestling and judo then moving onto striking martial arts like boxing, tae kwon do, and mauy thai.

TL:DR where can a 285 pound person start in the martial arts world? I ain't looking for easy
>>
>>875840
>I was thinking starting off with grapple and weight based martial arts like wrestling and judo then moving onto striking martial arts like boxing, tae kwon do, and mauy thai.
Fairly solid plan. Go ahead.

Also, how tall are you?
>>
>>875840
>at 20% bodyfat
so you would have a lean mass of over 100kg without lifting weights at all?

Three possibilities:
1) you are VERY tall
2)you have some very rare gene "defect" that makes you build muscle from absolutely nothing (unlikely)
3)you sleepwalk and your sleepwalking self has a gym membership and trains very hard (probably on a light dose of roids)

If none of those apply to you, you are not 20% bodyfat.

go to /fit/, read the sticky and start lifting. physical strength is very important in physical confronttions in real life.

boxing/kickboxing training is (at least in the gyms where I trained) more cardio intensive then judo. probably better for a guy who wants to lose weight.

I would start with a striking martial art + lifting and pick up grappling when you are fitter (as you will have less weight that you can use to "cheat"(be sloppy technique wise) or that will be to your disadvantage.

good luck
>>
>>875840

Fuck cops.
Train Aikido.
>>
>>875853
>>875854
Thanks. I guess I read the scale wrong as I am only 6ft 1 and I have a thick yet at the moment flabby frame.

I can't post pictures right now but if this still has interest I can later, thank you guys for the advice.

>>876313
I was actually thinking of working that in later in my life, maybe adjust it for the baton? Is that possible?
>>
File: 888931-butterbean.jpg (12KB, 311x360px) Image search: [Google]
888931-butterbean.jpg
12KB, 311x360px
Do boxing and BJJ.
>>
The weapon defences from Krav Maga are useful for cops. You learn for example that if you see an arm going to someones pockets you twist his arm on his back. You learn how to block an initial attack. Or get something out of someones hands. You shouldnt need the skills, but just like a bullet proof vest it might save your ass one day.

Judo is also very useful as you learn to put people down gently. You will often need to tackle people so Judo is arguably the most useful style for a cop.
>>
>>877385
>BJJ

I think maybe you want shoot wrestling instead if you want a chance of slaying that beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Its1mz5xG5I
>>
>>875840
start with pro wrestling man its got pretty much everything you'll ever need against a trained/untrained attacker
>>
>>875840
>285
Holy fuck.
Shouldn't the muscles you gained just to carry that weight be enough to bench press a motorcycle?
>>
50% bjj 40% judo 20% boxing I guess

You wanna learn chokes and submissions, you wanna learn how to get into a position to apply said chokes and submissions, you wanna learn to take a punch and block it.
>>
>>878488

Not unless he's walking around on his hands.
>>
>>878488
It was a mistake in my reading of the body percentage scale man. My fault bro. I am 285 though with some chub but not enough for morbid obesity
>>
>>875840
Learn western boxing and judo all the while think about how you might transition between them smoothly in a fight. like jab, cross, hook, throw, cuff em'.

Really though just use pepper spray, less chances of you or the other guy getting hurt.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.