[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i decided to take up a martial art and i want to take up a non-fedore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: stance_mma_vs_muaythai.gif (7KB, 333x189px) Image search: [Google]
stance_mma_vs_muaythai.gif
7KB, 333x189px
i decided to take up a martial art and i want to take up a non-fedore tier martial art, and i narrowed it down to muay thai ( or kickboxing ) and boxing,

what would you suggest between boxing and mt. which one could offer more opportunity for competition, for better fitness and for fast progress ?

optional : which one would fare better in a self defense situation
>>
Muay Thai is Boxing + Striking + Some Kicking + Standup Wrestling and Grappling

Kickboxing is Boxing + (more well rounded) Kicking

Boxing is Just Punching.
Boxing isn't even striking.
Muay Thai has backfists, elbows, knees, and kicks, even if the kicking portion is a little weak.
>>
File: 1450863390517.jpg (166KB, 863x665px) Image search: [Google]
1450863390517.jpg
166KB, 863x665px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0
>>
Muay Thai is objectively better for MMA, as well as the streets.
>>
MMA > Muay Thai > Boxing
>>
>>845695
yeah sure in principle, but most mma gyms are actually grappling schools in disguise. it's not bad, i'm just not interested in grappling such as BJJ
>>
>>845714
Do Muay Thai, the grappling is kind of like a supplement for the striking.
Kickboxing is pretty fun.
Do Boxing if you have no other option.

Good Muay Thai School > Good Boxing School
Good Kickboxing School > Good Boxing School
>>
>>845728
ok, my problem is that no matter how good or serious a muay thai or kickboxing school is here ( and there aren't a lot of them, even harder to find one ) there are some insanely good boxing schools.

from what i can tell boxing training seems to be much more demanding and improve fitness levels above pretty much anything else.

even so, thanks for the advice
>>
>>845738
You seem Biased. Have you even done research on Muay Thai training, Kickboxing training, and Boxing training, or are you just shitposting?
It's starting to seem like you're just biasedly shitposting. We've had enough of that since Wrestling became a part of this board.
>>
>>845738
it doesn't matter dude, do whatever is offered in your area the best.

if you have an amazing boxing gym - go there
muay thai - go there

and you should have some sense of grappling because if you ever get in a fight with someone that did so much as high school wrestling - you will get embarrassed

the "d00d ill just uppercut him when he goes for a takedown" doesn't play out that way
>>
>>845747
>the "d00d ill just uppercut him when he goes for a takedown" doesn't play out that way
The "Dude, I'll just uppercut him when he goes for a takedown" doesn't play out that way, all of the time, though, it does play out similarly at least some of the time.
FTFY, family.
>>
>>845758
veeeerrrrryyyyyyyyyy rarely.

all of you silly fucks should know pure grappling wins the vast majority of the time against pure striking
>>
How in shape do you have to be to start Muay Thai?
>>
>>845764
As in shape has you have to be to start Boxing.
>>
>>845761
Are melee weapons arts considered striking arts? Because in that case, striking wins a vast majority of time.
>>
>>845786
no you silly fuck. striking with your limbs, not weapons.

god you are all fucking dumb.
>>
>>845785
Which is?
>>
>>845790
no ur really dumb.
>>
>>845826

Not at all.
>>
>>845679
just take up muay thai. boxing may be fun, nevertheless it's not nearly as complete as muay thai, you have everything it can be used when you are standing (kicks, elbows, knees, punches, etc) the conditioning will aswell keep you fit
>>
>>845761
Citation or your just talking out your ass.
>>
>>845679

Short answer:
>what would you suggest between boxing and mt.

Start with boxing and change to Muay Thai after one year.

>which one could offer more opportunity for competition, for better fitness and for fast progress ?

competition: both are great.
for better fitness: boxing if you want perfect stamina and nice arms and abs, Muay Thai if you don't want to be the guy who skipped leg day.
for fast progress: boxing.

>which one would fare better in a self defense situation

Both are top tier. Muay Thai guy would use leg kicks, get into clinch distance, throw ellbows and sweep someone to the ground.
Boxing would end the whole fight with one or two punches, though.
I'd say boxing is slightly more dangerous because their speed and devastating punching power. You can go from 0 to 9000 in split seconds, and that's what would decide most "street fights".

Long answer:

It's not really an either/or question, you want to do both in the long run. Boxing is the most important part of Muay Thai.

Why? MT is such a great style BECAUSE they decided to stop their traditional way of punching and include western boxing instead. Look at old Muay Thai techniques like "Hanuman" and you'll know what I mean..

Of course it always depends on what your goals are. If you want to get ready for steet fights soon: Boxing. If you want to get into MMA, than Muay Thai. Boxing puts you on track immediately, MT takes some time, because it's a lot of stuff you have to pick up. But most os it is cool stuff, like the clinching, the sweeps and the ellbows and the knees. You probably wont use that much ellbows anyway. In professional Thai boxing (where thai people generally have many fights per month) you won't see that many ellbows unless people really want to hurt each other.

But MT people often have bad punching skills, so if you take up boxing first you already have the "core tools" for fighting and add the "nice to have" stuff later. It's definately worth the extra year.
>>
>>845684
>Boxing is just punching

>>845728
>Boxing if you have no other option

>>845985
>Not nearly as complete as muay thai

The punch is physical means to attack in boxing, Boxing is much more than punching.

Boxing is a game of predicting, avoiding and responding to the fastest of human attacks, to strike and disable your opponent, or strike more effectively than your opponent in order to win.

The benefits of boxing training are substantial because of it's high pace nature, having to anticipate the fastest attack in your opponents arsenal, and respond to it methodically, utilizing combinations of strikes to create and utilize openings in the opponents defence to knock them out.

Needles to say, Boxing is much more effective at learning hand-eye coordination, overall aerobic and muscular conditioning, upper body power, reflexes and striking muscle memory.
>>
MT has the clinch.

Does any other MA has a clinch attack/clinch defense strategy?

I think it's lotta useful against a drunk thug.
>>
>>848261
>Does any other MA has a clinch attack/clinch defense strategy?
Boxing, Judo, Sambo, Wrestling, BJJ etc.

Which (actual practical) MA doesn't?
>>
>>848305

But there's huge difference in how they use the clinch. The usage of Ellbows/Knees from the clinch is very nice in Muay Thai. For the other sports (in my personaly order of usefullness from clinch position):

Wrestling (especially greco roman!) is THE clinch game. You don't have strikes like in Muay Thai but you have enough tricks to make up for it tenfold.

Judo or Sambo usually has a little bit more distance than the tight clinch, yet clinching with a Judoka would still be stupid idea.

BJJ has a little bit clinching, but it's not their emphasis or favorite position. The moves are more like "wrestling light".

Boxing uses the clinch for resting, but has strikes you can throw when you break free. Not as usefull as the MT clinch IMHO. Thus said you have to reach the boxer before you can clinch with him, and boxers have brilliant footwork and distance management.
>>
File: mr-kenedy-nude.jpg (50KB, 342x400px) Image search: [Google]
mr-kenedy-nude.jpg
50KB, 342x400px
>you will never watch daniel bryan take a big fat hornswoggle sized vegan shit into brie's mouth '
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.