[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear Asp, I need your advice. I just moved to a new area. Before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

Dear Asp,

I need your advice. I just moved to a new area. Before I moved, I trained a lot of HEMA, and I am a longsword beast. I'm pretty decent, and I do well in tournaments.

The place I moved to has a small, shitty HEMA club, but there's also a kyokushin dojo on the way to work. I'm conflicted. Being a swordsman is kewl and fun, but apparently kyokushin is hardcore. Should I keep being a swordguy even though it's impractical, or switch to kyokushin?
>>
just do both, bro; kyokushin can be fun, but make sure it ain't a shitty mcdojo; it should be possible to go in once for free; if not, ask them to let you watch the training. Cheers~
>>
If the HEMA clubs shit it's probably desperate for good members to at least spar with. At least go occasionally to stay sharp. I find longsword is merciless for taking break I for one go to shit quickly. Always good to branch out as a martial artist tho so do both if you have the time and money.
>>
>>830046
anon

swords are for fags

real men fight unarmed

thank the wheel of fate that god steered you towards karate
>>
>>830084
This. You can take-over the HEMA club and also do kyo and pretend its ringen.
>>
>>830046

>dat pic
>asking for a sweep

Anon, do both. Weapons are great but they don't train your body like a striking martial art.

My personal favorite would be HEMA + Judo (HEMA + Wrestling is also nice, but wrestling is pretty hard to start if you are not young). Grappling is an amazing foundation to weapons.

But nevertheless Kyokushin is cool and fun, trains your body very good and you can go to competitions early. Also Karate is a very good foundation, you can switch to kickboxing or Muay Thai later on and already have a nice head start.
>>
>>830716

Sorry, I meant: "grappling is an amazing addition to weapons", not foundation..
>>
>>830046
Go to the HEMA club and make it a good club. I did the same. It takes time but it in 100% worth it.
>>
>>830748
this.
im a beginner, like 3 months of longsword, the main guys have been doing it years and everyone respects them.
>>
>>830046

Por que no los dos?

If you enjoy the sword work, keep doing it, no reason not to.

If you're also interested in stepping up your unarmed skills, then kyokushin will certainly be great for that. Plus, it will be a bit more practical in terms of self defense.
>>
File: 1305673591151.png (49KB, 180x181px) Image search: [Google]
1305673591151.png
49KB, 180x181px
>>830777
>tfw beginners get confused and start doing mental gymnastics when they occasionally beat me in sparring.
>tfw I'm actually just shit.
>>
>I happen to run a small, shitty HEMA club
If you happen to be in my area, please do come out. We'd love to have you. Even if we aren't experienced or good, we're working to make ourselves better. And I like to think we're on that path, and we're sincere about our effots.
>>
>>830718
if you consider koryu as valid then it kinda is.

>A pre-requisite for training in this line of Araki-ryu is skill in body-to-body grappling: judo, free-style or Greco-Roman wrestling, sambo, BJJ, sumo, etc. There are no exceptions to this requirement. The body dynamics of Araki-ryu are identical to that of body-to-body wrestling, and requires the same kind of fluid adaptability to rapidly changing force.
>>
>>830046

Keep doing what you do
>>
File: kohinata_v01_064.jpg (111KB, 728x1072px) Image search: [Google]
kohinata_v01_064.jpg
111KB, 728x1072px
>>830089
>Truly the God of Karate has steered him on this path!
Osu, Minami Senpai
>>
>>830046
Hey OP, I was wondering.

Can you go in a HEMA club and fight against them unarmed ? I want to try fighting against a sword bear handed
>>
>>841311
sure, just tell them that you come from another HEMA club and specialize in ringen v. armed opponents.
>>
>>841311
Y tho
>>
>>841311
Damn you would really be able to mess someones shit up with bear hands
>>
>>841311
Where do I get bear hands?
>>
>>841311
>I want to try fighting against a sword bear handed
Emptyhanded you wont stand a chance against a sword.
>>
>>842412
The sword doesn't do shit.
It's the person wielding it that should be considered.
A shitty swordsman wouldn't fair well against a highly skilled unarmed fighter, a large majority of the time.
>>
>>842413
Everybody with 3+ months training and average skills and a sword will beat pretty much anyone who doesn't have a weapon.
>>
>>842413
Y would u fight a shitty opponent tho
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.