[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where were you January 4th 1999 when raw aired mankind winning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 13

File: maxresdefault(2).jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault(2).jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
Where were you January 4th 1999 when raw aired mankind winning the title and truly putting the death blow to DUBYA SEE DUBYA
>>
File: havesex.png (366KB, 394x459px) Image search: [Google]
havesex.png
366KB, 394x459px
>>3133468
I was indulging in coitus
>>
>>3133470
> based Hogan pussy poster
>>
>>3133468
>Watching le smark hero win the title

I was watching Hogan vs Nash ya pinhead
>>
Sucking my mother's tits probably.
>>
>>3133504
did you physically feel the ratings drop on WCW?
>>
>>3133531
18+ faggot
>>
>>3133584
I am. Check ya calendar, grandpa.
>>
>>3133535
Fun fact: WCW's ratings went up after Foley won title
>>
File: 1497145112623.png (62KB, 429x456px) Image search: [Google]
1497145112623.png
62KB, 429x456px
>>3133468
>mfw this ultimately contributed to the shitty product we have now because it destroyed the only source of competition wwe had and it caused everyone to become complacent
>>
File: 253.png (315KB, 600x814px) Image search: [Google]
253.png
315KB, 600x814px
>>3133468
>if Tony Schiavone wasn't such a retard then we still would've had based WWF vs. WCW warfare
it hurts
>>
>>3133698
>>3133701

>quality dropped immediately, almost literally; all downhill from there
>mass exodus of fans and the gradual death of wrestling's cultural relevance started in 2002

Complacency isn't 100% of the problem, though. It also allowed Vince to get greedy and to cave to pressure from the delusional pussy shit advertisers. The announcement of the PG era would have been a suicide note in 1999, and not because of the media's false narrative of the screeching blue haired whales suddenly representing the average American holding any truth.
>>
It was my birthday that day, perfect icing on the cake
>>
>>3133468
Thanks to CTE, Cuck Foley no longer remembers this happening.
>>
Probably asleep because I'm in the UK, it was like 3:30AM and I was 6 years old at the time.
>>
>>3133468
>le wwe revisionist history

mankind winning the title did fucking nothing to wcw

18+
>>
>>3133925
You're right. It was WCW who did it to themselves when they basically advertised for WWF saying "You guys better turn over, fan favourite Mankind is going to win the title! Don't miss It!"
>>
>>3133957
18+
>>
>>3133897
"Politically Correct" was a thing in the 90s you underage turdburger
>>
>>3133468
Growing in my mum's womb
>>
File: ids.png (78KB, 922x503px) Image search: [Google]
ids.png
78KB, 922x503px
>>3133957
>>
>>3133468
I was at Nitro, probably acting like an autist because I was 11
>>
>>3134065
>Goldberg isn't a dra-
>>
>>3134065

> Dave Meltzer

Well then it's bullshit brah
>>
I was exactly 11 months old so probably asleep
>>
>>3134128
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>3134065
That still means that they sent the viewers to Raw even if they did eventually them back and it was a dumb move.
>>
>>3134065
Everyone switched back and forth constantly back then though so I don't understand why any of this matters.
>>
>>3134153
Because
>revisionist history
>history written by victors
>dumb marks being saturated with a narrative for so long that is counter to the facts they actually believe it
>said dumb marks spreading false narrative online for years and years
>>
90% of this board wasn't even born lmao
>>
>>3134065
>Nearly 14 million people watching wrestling in one night
>WWE can barely get 3 million people on a good week nowadays

I never knew wrestling had fallen that much in popularity.
>>
Sleeping because I was 4 years old.
>>
>>3134294
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55F-qsyAl8
great times
>>
No fucking idea. I was 5 years old, probably sleeping. I didn't discover wrestling until I was 16.
>>
>>3134261
/thread
>>
>>3134324
You started watching wrestling in 2010? the height of the garbage pg era? fucking KYS
>>
>>3134319
>1999 WCW
>great times

kill yourself Wolfcuck, WWF was better than WCW in every single way, that's why they won the war

Austin>>>Hogan
>>
>>3134336
S E E T H I N G

WCW was better than WWF you Titan drone

Austin isn't in Hogan's stratosphere
>>
>>3134336

Anon the console war is between WWE and NJPW, you can watch WCW now. Or you could just not be autistic if you wanted.
>>
>>3134334
>2010
Actually 2008 now that I remember correctly. WWE was practically literally non-existent over here. I only found out because of the SvR games.
>>
>>3133611
Fun Fact: They immediately shot back down afterwards.
>>
>>3134345
where is over here?
>>
>>3134354
No matter what you personally thought of the fingerpoke of doom and the quality of WCW around this time, one of the biggest misconceptions in the history of the industry is being further perpetuated by you in this thread.

The fact is that ratings were sky high on January 4, 1999, and they were sky high the following week too, because so many people were intrigued to see where this angle was going.

Jan 1999 was the 2nd best performing ratings months in the history of Nitro. February 1999 was the 4th best month in the history of the show.
>>
I was pissed that they made him Champion...and to make Foley and the Rock pass the title back and forth like 4 times whitin 3 months didn't help me take the E seriously anymore at that point.
That whole feud was obviously jizzed all over by Russo.
>>
>>3134380
What did you think of the finish of the halftime heat match? specifically the camera shot when Mick used forklift to pin rock for title?
>>
File: Growing Up.gif (213KB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
Growing Up.gif
213KB, 500x480px
>>3133584
>1999 was 18 years ago
Wew lad
>>
>>3134368
Argieland. As far as I know, RAW and SD started airing in 2008 (with 2 weeks of delay between the US broadcast), it went off the air around 2010 because of low raitings and didn't come back until a couple of years ago.
>>
>>3134388
Argieland?
Argentina
>>
>>3134432
Yes. Wrestling was always a short fad and WWE never did well in comparison to local wrestling and how it did in the rest of South America (in Chile and Peru they are pretty popular).
>>
>>3134383
"Sports entertainment" at it's finest
>>
watching the god damn finger poke of doom happen.
i started watching raw a week later, maybe a couple more at best.
even 8 year old me knew that was bullshit.
or maybe it was just because i was a kevin nash mark, and after being so excited that he beat goldberg, he just threw it away and it pissed mke off, i dont remember
>>
>>3133701
that was bischoff you stupid mark
>>
>>3133611
No they didn't. WCW spoiled that Foley would win, expecting more people to watch WCW. But it had the opposite effect.
>>
>>3134824
after WCW spoiled the foley win, people switched over to Raw to watch it happen. so Raw beat them in the ratings at the end of the show.
but the next week, WCW was back to being in the lead, people getting a taste of WWF combined with the bullshit that was the reformation of the NWO resulted in a decline for rating in WCW over the proceeding weeks until Raw ended up in the lead consistently and until the end of WCW
>>
>>3134834
http://www.gerweck.net/tv-ratings/1999-ratings/

Wtf are you idiots talking about? WCW never took lead again after like 1998. Also, yeah the ratings for WWE did go down a bit in the subsequent weeks after the championship win, but they didn't go below WCW's nor were they the worst ratings of the year.
>>
>>3134848
looks like they only went up for two separated weeks by a tiny margin. their best rating all year was when Raw played on a Saturday. but yeah, the NWO killed them in the upcoming weeks and months, going all the way down inbto the 2's by the end of the year
>>
File: ratingss.png (32KB, 438x623px) Image search: [Google]
ratingss.png
32KB, 438x623px
Yes they did. I'm strictly going by the numbers and the facts. You don't have to believe me. Go back and read the Wrestling Observer info around that time, along with all other verified sources, including just the huge amount of Monday Night War TV rating websites, and you'll see for yourself.

p.s. You're an idiot. I shouldn't have to even tell you this.
>>
File: mnwqhr.png (62KB, 946x615px) Image search: [Google]
mnwqhr.png
62KB, 946x615px
>>3134824
WCW Monday Nitro rating did increase after Finger Poke of Doom. FACT. The lack of intelligence wrestling fans like you possess is scary.
>>
what happened to kill WCW ratings so quickly?
come April/May they were down to 3s
>>
>>3134899
WWF being more popular than NWO was at it's peak
>>
>>3134872
>using Saturday RAW as an example of WCW leading
Seriously?
>>3134885
And it still doesn't get close to RAW's? Like I don't see what you're trying to insinuate.
>>
There's plenty of muh ratings shitposting going on, but damn if I didn't absolutely mark the fuck out at that moment.

Hell, watch the crowd starting from when fucking Billy Gunn of all people gets involved and they start to realize they might see the title change. Austin coming out may be one of the biggest pops ever.
>>
>>3134885
Muh nwowolfpac narrative

They started losing money and got BTFO by WWF
>>
>>3134885

No matter how many times this is said people will come back at me and dispute it. Hey, you could hate this "match" and angle all you want, and say it was another major blow to the company, but I am just going by the numbers, not made up WWE revisionist history. The fact that WWE was beating WCW in the ratings war at this point alters everyone's perception of the truth,

Deniers just aren't willing to go back and verify what I'm saying by looking at credible sources, or just don't care because it goes against their own comfortable false narrative that most people have in their mind about this event.

>>3134899
Far too many reasons to mention but to summarise: A combination of a lack of support from Time Warner (due to Ted Turner's decreased influence), corporate sabotage from people who had never wanted WCW (Turner Broadcasting's redheaded stepchild) to be successful, budget cuts, being handcuffed creatively by standards & practices & therefore being unable to compete with raunchy WWF Attitude content, over exposure of the product due to addition of Thunder & third hour of Nitro, top stars not appearing on house shows despite being advertised (limited date contracts), injuries to top talent (Hall, Luger, Hogan, Steiner, Bret, Goldberg), Hogan/Flair double turn, Hogan politicking so he didn't have to work with Goldberg & put him over again etc. etc. etc. lead to WCW's collapse in spring of 1999.
>>
>>3134899
Hogan being on top. Again.
No new stars
Killed Goldberg
>>
>>3134885
Something that you never mention is that Austin was injured and missed alot lot of shows around this time
>>
File: WON.png (12KB, 908x80px) Image search: [Google]
WON.png
12KB, 908x80px
>>3134914
Nobody disputes that. The argument here is the people who claim ratings didn't go up after Finger Poke off Doom when they clearly did.

Think you can ever make a point that isn't completely worthless at least once ITT?
>>
>>3134915
>A for profit company doesn't want a subsidiary to be profitable
>Standards and practices
That didn't cause them to have shit tier story lines and characters

If WCW was making money in 2001 they wouldn't have shut it down
>>
>>3134919
I didn't neglect to mention it because it's completely irrelevant to my argument.
>>
>>3134926
Right and the point is from there on out they'd constantly lose to WWF

Going from a 4.86 to a 4.99 while still LOSING to WWF isn't an accomplishment.

Going from a 4.
>>
File: dowcw.png (202KB, 658x1254px) Image search: [Google]
dowcw.png
202KB, 658x1254px
>>3134929
Jamie Kellner would disagree.

Part of the reason WCW lost money was due to the infrastructure of the company e.g. WCW didn't get any revenue from any TV they produced, they were only given a budget which was cut when Thunder was added. When Eric Bischoff attempted to generate more revenue through a deal with NBC in late 98 the deal fell through because of the higher ups telling him how to run the company. All the other operating companies under Time Warner such as CNN each had the there own accounting but WCW didn't. WCW fell under "other" category & the higher ups started allocating WCW's revenue to other areas.

To cut a long story short the Turner/Time Warner organization absolutely did not want WCW to succeed. They did everything they could, from early 1998, to lay the groundwork for WCW’s failure, so they could get WCW off the books. They couldn’t do that when Ted Turner was in firm control, but they did when his grip had slipped. They couldn’t attack WCW directly, either. They had to play the corporate game.

Even if WCW made $50 million in profit in 2000 what is that to the guys involved in a $360 billion merger? chump change. They hated pro wrestling & when they had the opportunity to get rid of it they did. Even when WCW was massively successful they were embarrassed to be involved in pro wrestling.

“Years before the end of WCW, I gone to a very exclusive high ranking meeting with the all the executives of Time Warner & the advertising people where all the money exchanged hands, & I was there sort of as a the conversation piece at the event. I remember thinking to myself as they went through all the long range projections for TNT & TBS that there was not one mention of pro wrestling even though I was there. I went home & I remember telling my wife that I don't think they are going to keep pro wrestling.” - Lex Luger (Inside The Ropes - 18th August 2012)
>>
>>3134938
See pic here
>>3134926
read it, digest it, get a clue
>>
hilarious how people still try to argue ratings didn't go up after finger poke even after being presented the evidence on a silver platter
>>
>>3134956
bc they're dumb af
>>
>>3134946
>January of 1999

Holy shit they had a few good weeks in the first month of 1999 and somehow that means they didn't fucking nosedive

How many times did WCW beat WWF after Foley won the belt?
>>
>>3134903
the argument has nothing here has nothing to do with RAW dumbass. The argument was Nitro rating didn't increase after Finger Poke of Doom.

>Nitro avg rating
Oct 98 (4.65)
Nov 98 (4.24)
Dec 98 (4.25)
Jan 99 (4.85)
Feb 99 (4.68)

you people are just so goddamn dumb
>>
>>3134934
WWFs biggest draw being missing is not a reason why WCW won the ratings for a few weeks?
>>
>>3134151
People who say Goldberg wasn't a draw.
>>
>>3134961
>thinking ratings battle was be all and end of a successful mainstream wrestling promotion in 1999

It doesn't matter who was winning or losing both companies ratings are amazing in early 1999. Something I think you will struggle to comprehend because you're dumb as fuck.

The ratings war was basically just about bragging rights. PPV, sponsorship, house shows and merchandise was where the money as made.

Finger Poke of Doom lead to an increase in TV ratings, respectable PPV buyrates, months of consecutive Nitro sell-outs & strong house show business.

Even after WCW's ratings dramatically decreased in May 1999 they were still good! regardless if WWF was spanking them with incredible numbers. My god trying fucking learning about the biz pal before interjecting your opinion because you clearly have little knowledge on the subject.
>>
>>3134964
How fucking stupid are you? You didn't follow the rest of this topic at all. The argument was that WCW started leading around that Foley championship time, which is blatantly false. Anyone who has an ounce of common sense will not argue that WCW's personal ratings instantly went down after the Fingerpoke. That's never how things work in wrestling nor in other business.
>>
>>3134966
WCW didn't win the rating war in January 1999.

My point is Nitro rating increased after Finger Poke not that Nitro beat RAW.

Austin is completely irrelevant to this topic.
>>
>>3134981
No dipshit. The entire fucking thread dominated by me telling people Nitro rating increased after Finger Poke.

You're mistaking me for someone else who made false claim about WCW leading RAW after FPOD.

Try reading the whole thread you fucking moron.
>>
>>3134989
hes not though is he, because if Austin was heavily featured on the shows a lot of people would just watch Raw and not bother with Nitro
>>
File: red.png (102KB, 924x450px) Image search: [Google]
red.png
102KB, 924x450px
>>3134997
>RAW (January 4th 1999)
Finger Poke of Doom BTFO Austin run in 6.5 to 5.1 in quarter hour ratings

>RAW (January 11th 1999)
Kane defeated WWF World Champion Mankind via disqualification when the Rock interfered and hit the challenger with a chair
before doing the same to the champion; Steve Austin came to the ring after the match and hit the Stunner on both competitors before chasing the Rock backstage.

Chyna won the 10-person Corporate Rumble by last eliminating Vince McMahon after distraction from Austin

>RAW (January 18th 1999)
Kane defeated the Rock via disqualification after the Corporation attacked Kane; prior to the match beginning, Kane was attacked by the Corporation; after the match, Mankind made the save and hit Rock with a chair after Rock became distracted by Steve Austin

>RAW (January 25th 1999)
featured the announcement Mankind would challenge WWF World Champion the Rock six days later during Halftime Heat on USA; included the announcement that, despite Vince McMahon's victory the night before at the Royal Rumble, Steve Austin would challenge for the WWF World Title at WrestleMania but that Austin would face McMahon at St. Valentine's Day Massacre in a steel cage match:
>>
>>3134980
>Early 1999 is the first few weeks

When WCW started losing Bischoff started freaking out and threw everything at the wall to see what would stick and thus caused the product to start sucking even more. Followed by his removal and Russo making it worse and within a YEAR losing what $62 million or so?

They started losing MONEY in '99. The fact they crashed so hard so fast is a testament to their ineptitude

Oh but consistently losing to WWF starting with the Foley win doesn't matter caused they bumped their rating from a 4.86 to 4.99

What a drastic increase
>>
>>3135039
Your credibility just nosedives when you claim WCW started losing consistently after the Foley title win. Prior to the Foley title win, WCW had already been losing in the ratings war against the WWF for 9 weeks. Be the first to look the numbers up and admit you' are wrong so you can redeem yourself & separate yourself from the rest of the dumbasses on here.

You're arguing points I never brought up or disputed.

Bottom line there is a popular revisionist narrative that the Finger Poke of Doom was the beginning of WCW's downfall & it was perpetuated in this thread. I argued & proved otherwise using the facts i.e. numbers.

And I'm just talking about 2 week either fucktard, I had to condense into 2 weeks because of IQ level of the people I'm dealing with. They can't wrap their head around 2 weeks of data yet alone analyse 4 months worth.

>NITRO average rating from Jul 97 to May 99:
Jul 97 (3.43)
Aug 97 (4.30)
Sep 97 (4.14)
Oct 97 (4.15)
Nov 97 (4.07)
Dec 97 (4.06)
Jan 98 (4.52)
Feb 98 (4.80)
Mar 98 (4.66)
Apr 98 (4.63)
May 98 (4.00)
Jun 98 (4.00)
Jul 98 (4.67)
Aug 98 (4.98)
Sep 98 (4.62)
Oct 98 (4.65)
Nov 98 (4.24)
Dec 98 (4.25)
Jan 99 (4.85)
Feb 99 (4.68)
Mar 99 (4.05)
Apr 99 (4.17)
May 99 (3.40)

From Aug 97 to Apr 99 the average rating of NITRO drew 4.0 or above. The beginning of the downfall was May 1999 and anybody with half a brain should be able to see this. Of course this is just TV ratings but the other metrics also indicate WCW's collapse began in May 1999.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.