[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did professional wrestling become about fucking gymnastics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12

File: ospreay.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
ospreay.gif
4MB, 480x270px
When did professional wrestling become about fucking gymnastics? When did the art of it being a fucking real fight then into who could do the coolest fucking gymnastic moves? Since when does that equal being fucking tough? I feel like guys today, 1: they don't fucking work out. They don't look the fucking part and they think that they can fucking go do a bunch of twirly bird fucking dives and they're a good fucking wrestler. I got news for you, that don't make you a good fucking wrestler! And it doesn't make you fucking tough. Try that shit in a real fight any day and see how far that gets you.
>>
>abe lincoln was chokeslamming dudes in the 1800's
>killer kowalski was pinching someone's stomach for 5 minutes in the 70's
>this is all "real" fighting.
>>
>>3094915
Wrestlers are meant to be super athletes, hence they do shit that would be impractical in "real fights".
>>
File: maedafujinami.gif (4MB, 284x212px) Image search: [Google]
maedafujinami.gif
4MB, 284x212px
>>3094915
that gif is just embarrassing. What happened to NJPW?
>>
>>3094925
That chokeslam was in amateur wrestling or at least shoot-style.

Man (no pun intended), smarks are getting BTFO in so many threads today. Are we taking back /asp/ from the numale wewtists and plebbitards? Is Summer finally over?
>>
File: lincoln.jpg (47KB, 371x283px) Image search: [Google]
lincoln.jpg
47KB, 371x283px
>>3094944
The chokeslam was Big Abe Lincoln's finish brother.
Nobody kicked out.
Especially not the Confederacy ;^)
>>
File: stopliking.jpg (141KB, 387x417px) Image search: [Google]
stopliking.jpg
141KB, 387x417px
Pro wrestling is the circus, it needs a little bit of everything for somebody, from acrobats to the strongmen and giants. Not all of one and 0 of the other, a mixture of lots of different stuff.
>>
I used to hate R-Truth when he was younger because of all the unnecessary flips and spins he would add to his moves but he was at least entertaining outside of the ring so it evened out.

This fucker Assspray is a hundred times worse than Truth at this stupid unnecessary shit with none of the positives of being entertaining outside of the ring.
>>
>>3094943
It's a Jr Heavyweight match dumbass
>>
>>3094943
>What happened to NJPW?

Are you retarded? Have you seen the Tiger Mask-Dynamite Kid matches?
>>
>>3094978
Fujinami was a Jr heavyweight dumbass.
>>
>>3094915
>Try that shit in a real fight any day and see how far that gets you.

Why don't you try to irish whip someone in a real fight. Or give them a vertical suplex. Hardly any of the shit that happens in a wrestling match would ever work in a real fight and you are the markiest of marks for actually believing that they would. But hey, if you want to watch actual competitive combat sports instead, you can have your pick of whatever you want. The problem is that you're one of those marks that claims they know that wrestling is fake, and yet acts like it's for real regardless. You think you actually are watching a combat sport because you're functionally retarded and can't seperate fantasy from reality.
>>
>>3094991
So they should still be shoot kicking each other in the head instead because that's what they did 20+ years ago? Get with the times and after that, Have sex.
>>
File: fedora neckbeard..png (302KB, 479x455px) Image search: [Google]
fedora neckbeard..png
302KB, 479x455px
>>3094915
>When did professional wrestling become about fucking gymnastics? When did the art of it being a fucking real fight then into who could do the coolest fucking gymnastic moves? Since when does that equal being fucking tough? I feel like guys today, 1: they don't fucking work out. They don't look the fucking part and they think that they can fucking go do a bunch of twirly bird fucking dives and they're a good fucking wrestler. I got news for you, that don't make you a good fucking wrestler! And it doesn't make you fucking tough. Try that shit in a real fight any day and see how far that gets you.
>>
>>3095000
shooters get more sex than flipsters, that's a fact brother.
>>
>>3094993
Irish whips used to be more real. Especially in an 18 foot ring.
>>
>>3095003
only fedoras like flippy shit, because they long to be thin and athletic instead of the fat tubs of immovable lard they are.

Flips are their escape from their horrific existence as chubby funsters.
>>
>>3094915
Some guys do gymnastics others still do real looking fights and a lot do something in between.

What is your point? Do you want the great wrestling from the 70s back?
>>
>>3094925
Kowalski once yelled "SLEEP!" at an opponent jumping at him while holding out his arms in a mummy like fashion at the opponent diving through the air. The opponent them fell out of the air and was 'asleep', Kowalski pinned him for the win. Wrestling was def super legit in the old days.
>>
>>3094915
Nowadays Native guys get sent to Mexico mostly.

Most gaijins are small guys trained to flip. They're coming from the indys and Roh. It was less flippy in Yukes era, Makabe retired most of his junior flips and Nakamura worked like a Hw of old etc.

Bushiroad era pushed more smaller guys and more workrate and more flips and in other matches. Kidani loves Ajpw 90s and the bookers love old 80s Nwa. Think steamboat.

Yukes era was mostly just Njpw without Inoki-ism and less limb work and only the iwgp full of workrate related matches.
>>
This has mostly been my one gripe about today's wrestling. The wrestling skill is being considering what makes you "good" when you really come for the stupid storylines and goofy characters. That South Park episode is becoming more truthful by the day.
>>
>>3094989
Of course, they were embarrassing too. Sayama himself was ashamed of that flippy shit, part of the reason why he called out NJPW as fake and started UWF.
>>
>>3095033
People want the 80s or 90s or anything srs back. Serious now, not realistic.

The Njpw 70s style is just the same European style without shoot kicks. Most people want the faster 80s or 90s.

Brawlers or just shooters or powerhouse would work. And still can regardless what people think.
>>
File: wrestling_is_an_Art.webm (2MB, 744x404px) Image search: [Google]
wrestling_is_an_Art.webm
2MB, 744x404px
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'""""Wrestling""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'""""
>>
>>3095119
I like how people get on Roman and other big guys for not doing all that shit when they dont realize that some of the best wrestlers like the Rock and Stone Cold didn't use all those exciting moves, anyway. They all had one or two spot moves that everyone cheered for and everything else was straight up brawling with some suplexes sometimes mixed in.
>>
>>3095119
Uwf guys bashed 80s Ajpw as being fake. And bashed joshi. Most old workers laughed at women wrestling in the old days.

Uwfi called every non shoot promtion as silly and too fake looking. Then Choshou buried Uwfi with his booking on purpose. He didn't damage the style but killed the name brand of Uwfi.
>>
>>3095133
Yeah we call those opening acts
>>
>>3095108
The South Park episode was literally taking the piss out of how all they do is talk in WWE and they don't wrestle at all.
>>
>>3095139
>"""""""""""""""shoot""""""""""""""" wrestling
>>
File: vintage flippy shit.gif (3MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
vintage flippy shit.gif
3MB, 360x270px
>>3094915
>flippyshit is a modern inv-
>>
>>3094944
>we
Fucking cringe. Your kind are the ones who need to leave
>>
>>3095148
Modern wwe is all boring midcard matches with less angles and manlets.

Having lots of angles are very much a 90s thing. Even wwf 80s was angle low at time.
>>
>>3095148
The South Park episode was an exaggeration that it's a soap opera, which is is, but it also pinpointed that people don't really care about the wrestling either. A good mix of both is fine, which is why NJPW doesn't exactly hit home for me as much as the 90s wrestling world where there was the right crowd who accepted the silliness without trying to get themselves over. If we had the calmness of the NJPW crowd with the characters tweaked from WWE, we'd have a better program.
>>
>>3095151
>Homo flip matches
>>
>>3095135
They're flip and gymanstics lovers. I don't mind those types but there's way too many of them. All top boom period or mainstream periods didn't relied on flips.
>>
>>3094915
I don't know, but ECW and Mick Foley getting thrown off/through HIAC pretty much ruined wrestling forever in the US
>>
>>3095200
Yeah but even then they wrestled srs. Most small guys use flips to excite the crowd because either they can't work and or lift. Not a diss. Now not every fed is like that. Okada also only has flashy moves not flips like 456 or many flying moves.

Anyway only Dragon gate is really the flippiest.
>>
File: volk.gif (3MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
volk.gif
3MB, 325x244px
>>3095151
shootstyle is GOATstyle. Only faggots like ladyboy ''''''''''epic'''''''' '''''''''kickout'''''''' ''''''''''movez'''''''' fests.
>>
>>3095225
Im reminded how the smaller guys can instantly get buried visually to the crowd when they fail to do any lifting moves on larger wrestlers. It reminds people immediately that these guys are scrawny. At the same time, guys like Triple H and the Rock looked impressive enough that it was believable that they can take on people like Big Show. Brock Lesnar is perhaps the greatest example of this speed and power mix that WWE has pushed to hell to make him seem unstoppable.
>>
>>3095225
I guess I was mostly referring to the 'hardcore' related bullshit, which sometimes includes flippy shit but not always. Can't say I disagree with what you said. I think the flips and hardcore shit can only be taken so much further, eventually nobody will really give a shit anymore. Watched a brief hardcore match (some Big Japan show I think) between two out of shape nobodies in Japan and some dumbass took actual fishing treble hooks on several crankbaits through his mouth/lips for a small ass crowd and presumably little yen. Absolutely degenerate.
>>
>>3095254
Big japan is certainly "extreme" CZW was getting pretty close, but still can't hold a candle to people that willing to paint the canvas with the most random of objects. And yeah, they get paid fucking nothing.
>>
>>3095237
The top drawing guys in wwf are all brawlers or showmen like macho-man and the Rock. (Just fancy spots not flips). Most of the new guys are hybrid Heavy-junior workers.

There's so many different styles and we are either stuck with Indy style or junior style. Wrestling has gotten homogenous.
>>
There's a difference between fake wrestling and fake fighting.
>>
File: '''SHOOT'' WRESTLING.gif (3MB, 250x183px) Image search: [Google]
'''SHOOT'' WRESTLING.gif
3MB, 250x183px
>>3095234
>>
>>3095154
And that was one opening match spot to show his quickness and athleticism before he got to work. These days he would be doing that for 70% of a long match.
>>
>>3095254
What year? In recent times they're slowly moving away from death-matches to become big man pro.

I miss all the different styles of feds in the 90s and even 80s.

I miss Njpw 90s the most, because they had Shooters, brawlers, powerhouses, heels, southern style WCW workers, showmen, inoki guys , workrate, dragon style, Choshu's guys all billed as Strong style back then.
>>
>>3095299
Battlarts isn't serious as Uwfi or pancrase was.They used moves like turbo drop and body slams with shoot matwork. It was pro wrestling merged with shoot style.
>>
File: 1298384932.png (71KB, 672x384px) Image search: [Google]
1298384932.png
71KB, 672x384px
the day wrestling died, when this promotion ended. now there are no shootstyle feds left.
>>
>>3094915
They all got together and specifically did it to piss you off.
>>
>>3095401
hard hit
>>
>>3094952
>Confederacy didn't quick out
>The South blew Lincoln's brains out, then spent 150 years erecting Confederate monuments and raping black women while inventing crack to keep blacks down
I would say they had a midcard run.
>>
>>3095424
>the super rare DDT events
like i said there are no shootstyle promotions left
>>
>>3095451
hard hit has nothing to do with ddt anymore and is run by hikaru sato.
>>
>>3095451
shoot style has no appeal anymore to casual fans since they know its a work. just watch mma.
>>
>>3095475
Shoot wrestling gets mainstream coverage and does ok in reunion shows. Many workers still use shoot. Njpw will eventually use shoot guys again. They have shoot rookies.

Kidani said Njpw needs shoot, mma, strong style workers to draw again.
>>
>>3094915
Probably the most unnecessary flip I've ever seen.
>>
File: osprey.webm (1MB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
osprey.webm
1MB, 400x224px
>>3095583
>>
>>3095491
Literally bullshit. Kidani and Tanahashi proved you can draw without shoot bullshit. That's why Inoki is the utter failure of a guy he is right now.
>>
File: poke-of-doom.jpg (248KB, 650x407px) Image search: [Google]
poke-of-doom.jpg
248KB, 650x407px
Yeah man I miss when wrestling was about being tough and making it look like a fight, lemme gohit up a bar and put on some technical submissions on him
>>
>>3095660
History wise Japan was obbessed with the strongest. That what made it made it mainstream. The Inoki-ism. The tv rating for wk have been reported as 1.1. by Kakutolog in Japan. The still can't fill Tokyo dome and use bigger building like the 90s did.

Inokiism=/= Shoot. Njpw in the 00s merged mma with wrestling. He ruined the old meaning of Inokiism.

No where did Kidani said he wants to remove Okada and Tana styles but add more it it. Would help if new American fan actually read anything in Japan but they don't.
>>
>>3094915
That happened the moment the wrestlers decided or inconsciously made all their matches look like they were performing acrobatics for an audience instead of looking like they want to win the fucking match.
>>
>>3095029
>this much denial coming from such an unathletic person
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.