[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ - martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 11

Previous thread:
>>2997739

Find an MMA Gym in the USA:http://www.findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
https://www.youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
https://www.youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
https://www.youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
https://www.youtube.com/user/theKravMagaTraining
https://www.youtube.com/user/CombatSportsTapes
More to come...
>>
File: conor_at_work.webm (989KB, 520x244px) Image search: [Google]
conor_at_work.webm
989KB, 520x244px
How do you get Conor levels of good with timing and precision?
>>
>>3065410
A point-sparring hybrid?
>>
>Do BJJ for 2 months
>Suddenly perforate eardrum

HAHA OUT FOR 2 FUCKING MONTHS THANK YOU
>>
>>3065410
Fight people who know how to punch.
>>
>>3065410
Damn. No agression, just poise, and confidence.
>>
>>3065410
Work on it.

Do drills and mittwork that specifically work on timing and distance.

In his case: box for your childhood and have that strong base before getting into mma.

When you spar, work specifically on honing those things.
>>
I have four hours of MMA classes weekly, and I've been training for 8 months now. I talked with my coach about competing and he said I should give it at least another year before I start thinking about it. Am I training enough for this stage if I am planning on competing?
>>
I got my first broken nose during sparring last night. We weren't wearing any headgear cause it was supposed to be a light -more technical- session. We were kickboxing. The biggest dude was my last partner and I was doing good until he decided to use a switch kick to the fucking face. Broken nose.

Should I be mad? It wasnt as much of a HARD kick but it was placed.

>What should I expect from this nasal fracture? How long till I recover if I get it realigned by a doc? Any experiences?
>>
If you had a chance to train with Shinya Aoki, would you take it?
>>
File: 3209142-p-4x.jpg (285KB, 1920x2240px) Image search: [Google]
3209142-p-4x.jpg
285KB, 1920x2240px
Best compression tights brand for grappling?
>>
>>3065403
SO Mcgreggor VS Mayweather who do you think

This is like chocolate vs peanutbutter to me. I mean really I like both. it's fucking hard but i'm gonna go with gregor using unorthodox tactics to score a win. Mayweather has the sparring partner advantage but honestly I unless Mayweather goes in to win by knockout I see mcgreggor winning via Sudo Genki
>>
>>3068035
It's either going to be a short entertaining win for McGregor or a long haul kiting event that Mayweather will win by decision. Mayweather did look a bit spooked at the weigh in, but that might have been because of McGregor package.
>>
>>3068062
Yeah this is like Mayweather vs paccy

Jesus Mayweather has a talent for setting up high name high interest coin toss fights.

I feel like the coins gonna flip for Mcgreggor tho. I just feel it. I'm mildly hoping it.

Cause only one of them does TKD
>>
two things
1. I held a real eskrima stick today, not one of the fake ones people play around with. Didn't realize wood could be made so hard and dense, I have felt metal more supple than this thing was

2. I encountered a bjj brown belt with a red bar.
Explain
>>
>>3065403

>WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:

be unbiased and objective to see anything in the first place
- the coaches Are knowledgeable
- the coaches are able to evaluate students objectively
- the coaches can use their knowledge to solve problems and answer questions logically
- the physical conditioning methods follow scientifically valid facts
- in turn, people get better, people have fun, because of the fact that that's what makes a good gym, not despite the fact.
>>
>>3068020
Are you supposed to wear a cup? I also wear Virus
>>
>>3068035
The nigger will dance like a pixie and cherry tap the potato nigger until he wins on points. The crowd will sigh and boo while the jiggaboo exploits the rules against clinching to keep the mick from having any momentum until he gases out in the 2nd round.

Alternatively, McMeme's temper gets the better of him and he throws a kick or he actually lands a solid blow and Memeweather's father and/or chimp buddies storm the ring and ruin the match like they did the last time he was almost knocked out.
>>
>>3066346
Hi, I had my nose broken in sparring. How long to heal depends on how badly it broke, if the bones are still straight. I would say one month and a half to have it back at 100 percent. Though after the first week you can do light exercise again.

DO NOT start sparring again until it's fully healed, it will just break again and delay your return to top shape.

Hang in there and work on skills and cardio. Don't think it's very bad,it just forces you to train differently for some weeks.
>>
>>3068617
>DO NOT start sparring again until it's fully healed

You would think people know this, but the sad truth is people rarely take the required time to properly heal.
>>
>>3065403

Hey all, Wu here, it's been a while
Since we last met I have practiced a lot of martial arts and have been in more than a few fights. Given the mistakes I've made in the past I thought I might leave a few tips about practical self defense. Take it from me, a guy who did it wrong.

>Train in boxing and judo/wrestling for 6 months a piece.
That's all you need. Once you know the basics of striking and grappling (and how to avoid getting hurt) you are already a better fighter than 99% of the population.
>Punch straight. Kick straight.
Sure, the occasional hook can win a fight. But don't be that dumbass (again, 99% of the population) who swings his arms like a fucking fidget spinner. Most people fight this way and leave themselves open to get punched in the face and solar plexus constantly. The front snap kick is one of the fastest kicks you can throw and can easily win you fights.
>Real fights are fast.
Three minute rounds are bullshit. Five minute rounds are bullshit. A fight is likely going to last under 60 seconds. With that in mind, if you're training for self-defense, the endurance required to fight for 30 minutes is nice to have -- but certainly not necessary.
>Disarming opponents is a pipe dream.
You will never get the knife out of the guy's hand. If your dojo is training you to do this, call BS. If someone pulls a weapon on you, get the hell out of there.
>Forms/Kata are useless. CMA is useless. Most martial arts are useless.
When you're fighting, you need to understand distance, body weight distribution, and momentum. The flashy throws, spins, kicks, elbow tricks, joint locks, etc. you learn in most martial arts aren't viable options in most fights. And in the real world, not everyone is wearing a gi. And there's no padding on the floor. And people tend not to just let you grab them and put them in a chin na grip.
Cont
>>
File: 1487036139101.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1487036139101.gif
3MB, 480x360px
>>3069696
>>
>>3068547
LMAO SEETHING UR MM""""""""""""a"""""""""""" GOT EMBARRASED AS THE TOP BOY GOT WHOOPED LIKE A BITCH
>>
>>3069720
I was going to do that, but you beat me to it
>>
>>3069696

>Joint locks are a waste of time.
Certain elbow locks are useful and can win you fights. Most joint locks, however, aren't fast enough to be viable options in a fight. In addition, they depend too much on your opponent making mistakes they won't likely make. Those one-steps they teach you in the dojo aren't going to help, either. Your opponent is not going to stand still, they're not going to leave their hand out when they punch, and they're going to try their best to get out of whatever you do to them. Also...
>Pain compliance techniques are all bad.
They don't work on everyone. There are some people with nerve damage or genetic differences which makes it impossible, effectively, to beat them with pain compliance techniques.
>Don't waste your time on martial arts which "don't hurt the opponent".
It's a blatant lie put on by aikido, tai chi, etc. groups. Martial arts are dangerous, and when you're in a serious fight the last thing you should be worrying about it how comfortable your opponent is. That can get you killed.
In a real fight you should always target the most vulnerable and most important areas. Stomp on their knee before you throw them. If you're going to fight, you need to make sure that you're going to win that fight.
>Martial arts gyms will teach you nothing.
There is no mystical tradition. The grandmaster of your system of martial arts was not some kind of genius. At best, they were a good fighter. At worst, a con artist. There is nothing that the martial arts gym teaches you that you couldn't find out on the internet or through practical experience. Or, alternatively, by watching professional fights constantly. The dojo or gym serves as a practice area for you and likeminded people. If your instructor won't teach you a technique because you're "not ready" or because "that's for a higher belt", you are being conned.
The instructor isn't there to teach you how to fight. He's there to stop you from getting killed during practice.
>>
>>3069724
>embarassed
>guy who does another martial art goes 10 rounds against the absolute champion of the other and every 10 seconds he's stopped by the rules
>>
>>3069720

Yeah I was pretty embarrassingly bad back then. Don't worry, I came to my senses. I don't practice those martial arts anymore.

Anyway, take my advice for what it's worth. I invested tons of time and money into complete BS systems and I hope no one on /asp/ is making the same mistakes.
>>
Looks like MMA died tonight, folks. Time to learn defensive fisticuffs. Kicking is a meme.
>>
>>3070098
>Kicking is a meme.
Low kicks and stop kicks are fine, anything high or flashy is a complete waste of time and energy
>>
>>3070098
>Imblyen groin kicks aren't free wins
>Inverin toe stomps won't shut people down
>insinuatn' that kicking someone's knee in won't btfo most shitters and at least make them fall on their face

Obviously roundhouse kicks are full retard.
>>
I don't understand why you would ever engage someone physically ,even if you are a badass motherfucker jackie chan ninja, if you live somewhere where a gun is an option.

I'm not shitting on martial arts. Having training is super useful but training physically for irl fights seems like bad news.
>>
File: 1497203382737.jpg (15KB, 532x320px) Image search: [Google]
1497203382737.jpg
15KB, 532x320px
What is the most impractical and meme tier martial art? Bonus points for flashy air kicks or useful-one-in-a-century counter throws.
>>
>>3070221
Combat taekkyeon. Koreans finally learning they can't hide their lies about their copycat martial arts having an ancient lineage tied to legendary warriors and deciding to assert their game of footsie tag has self-defense applications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-X5AVw3Ksw
>>
>>3067046
My coach trained with him when he frequented Yuki Nakai's school. Supposedly really nice fellow. Do it, I'd say.
>>
>>3070212
I dont even understand why you would train guns when you have improvised explosive devices like pipebombs that have been proven time and again to instill more fear and harm more people then any silly gun.

Professional soldiers who are better trained and better equipped then any martial artist or street fighter fear weapons like pipebombs for a reason .

It doesnt matter how big or expensive that gun was when in less time, less money and less effort you can create a weapon of mass destruction that beats any fighting style, any gun or knife or amount of people

nothing beats a well placed pipebomb
>>
File: 1498622500230.jpg (76KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1498622500230.jpg
76KB, 900x675px
>>3070266
>Why shoot one person when you could blow up his house?
>>
File: 07675235.jpg (23KB, 450x290px) Image search: [Google]
07675235.jpg
23KB, 450x290px
I'm moving to a new location and want to rebrand my dojo. I've been looking around in my city to see what other martial arts dojo have done, and there seems to be a template for a good name.

Brisbane Shitoryu Karate
Brisbane Goju Karate
National Taekwondo Brisbane
Okukan Karate School
Brisbane Martial Arts Academy
Seido Brisbane
Kung Fu Brisbane
Brisbane Jinen Karate
Brisbane Krav Maga

It's like (City) (School) (Style) or a variation thereof. Most of these (styles) are well established brands like karate, krav, TKD, Kung Fu and so on. I practice Budo, which isn't that well established/people don't know what it is. Should I just replace it with jujutsu.

I obviously want to attract as many people as possible.
>>
>>3070274
>Budo

Please train an actual martial art. Do not poison the good name of legit styles like jujutsu with your McDojoism. I understand you were abused by being tricked into wasting years of your life and uncounted money training shit that will get your ass kicked in an actual fight, but you shouldn't want to transmit that malpractice onto others.

Effective martial arts exist. Boxing, wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, and judo exist. Maybe, maybe try kyokushin karate (but absolutely no other kind) if you want something a touch weeb.

Japanese people are laughing at you for believing in something like "budo" in the current year. Please, please, get help. It's not too late to change.
>>
>>3070319

Jujutsu and Judo are Budo. Budo is just a generic name for martial arts, like Wushu.
>>
>>3070334
bullshit
>>
>>3070336

武道 Budou
武術 Bujutsu
武術 Wushu

Don't blame me for your ignorance. In Japan Budou and Bujutsu are used interchangeably for 'martial arts'.
>>
>>3070345
gay semantics for real what does your syllabus, technique, stratums, rule set and meta look like for your so called style.

you're a snake oil salesmen, trying to polish a turd
>>
>>3070357

Like anything else. Our jujutsu looks like judo, shijiao, sumo or pankration. Our striking looks like boxing, karate or muay thai. Our weapons work looks like kalaripayattu, koryu bukijutsu or Talhoffers.

Only difference is Budou weaves everything together seamlessly, where other arts keep their ranges separate.

We have all the techniques of other styles, just together in one system.
>>
>>3069788
>I was pretty bad back then
>but bow my advice is to never train

Wow, looks like you've taken some real steps forward
>>
>>3070336
It's not tho

>bu=war
>do=the way, or path
>jutsu=art or technique

So when you put it together budo or bujutsu becomes either the art of or the way of war, which in Japan is a catch all term for martial arrs.

That said anyone who claims their style is "budo" probably was trained by a mcdojo shitter so I understand your skepticism.
>>
>>3070272
that's actually a good question, I'd rather blow up their house tbqh
>>
>>3068617
Did you get it fixed by a doc? I'm having surgery tomorrow. Expect to be out for a month. Supposedly I can't do any exercise at all for two weeks and then I can start doing some cardio and light weights. Won't spar for at least a couple months I guess.
>>
>>3070319
you're like one of those lifestyle liberals that parrots talking points, except you're doing it with martial arts
>>
>>3071172
Where have you been? That's been every martial arts discussion on the internet for years now. Anything resembling original content gets buried under celeb and e-celeb parroting. Needle in a haystack.
>>
My gym got a heavy bag, i been thinking of getting a pair of gloves and maybe learning some boxing. It seems like one almost certainly needs a coach or someone that knows how to box to teach one, but there are nobody here that knows boxing.

Is it possible that i can teach my self the basics and become somewhat alright in them by my self?

I am thinking that i at least can learn a few punches and become good at them, maybe some simple 1-2 combo's etc.

I also have a friend that i can spar with but he is completely noob as well.

>>3069696
>Train in boxing and judo/wrestling for 6 months a piece.
>That's all you need. Once you know the basics of striking and grappling (and how to avoid getting hurt) you are already a better fighter than 99% of the population.
^This seems like a reasonable goal, can i get to this by being self thought? (only with boxing though)
>>
>>3071822
I would recommend you to watch Don Familton videos on the basics of Boxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS1VnE7YvMc

The important thing is that you analize what he's teaching you and pick up one thing to train for the day, like your 1-2 combo, foot movement, etc.

The videos with Freddie Roach are good to learn the basics too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZWluDsRayI

Once you get comfortable with what you're practicing get through some other videos on Youtube that might teach you some combos or tricks.

Now, the important thing to remember, is that no video tutorial will be as good as having a good coach fixing your mistakes and training you. So it would be nice if you could find a Boxing gym near you.

And please, don't do hard sparring without the supervision of a coach, you can get pretty fucked up if you don't know what you're doing
>>
Im 26 and short. I work a shitty job and will have my days cut back in 3 months time. Ill stick around fot a while but am slowly getting qualofied for more than my current shit work. If all goes well Ill have enough to go back to school in around a year. Ive always wanted to learn martial art of some kidn currently interested in wrestling/mma/boxing/bjj. Ill take whatever I can get but Ive always been out of shape.

Ovee the next 3 months id like to improve my stamina mainly because if I jumped into any sort of physical acivity id be shit at it. What would you consider the basic stamina for someone to get the most out of a martial arts class?
>>
>>3071920
start doing push ups until failure, going for short jogs, and look up some stretching guides
>>
>>3071920
you will choose judo

it is inexpensive and often available at community centers and schools for a few dollars a month, and one of the few times being short can be considered an advantage
>>
>>3071935
Cool so I guess tons of bodyweight work and just regular ass cardio. Are there any metrics you guys would expect from a reasonably fit beginner? Mile time or something like that. Perhaps some sort of interval training minimum.

Only thing I know for sure is I have to work on my flexibility as it is supremely shit.

>>3071948
Judo is fine by me, always liked the idea of boxing/bjj desu but I guess it just depends on what I can get. I only mentioned height because while im not insanely strong I am short and people talk a lot of shit when out with the girlfriend. Luckily thus far untrained punching and being able to move/hold people has proven enough but kinda concerned that might not always be the case.

Live in the UK south of london if maybe theres something that would be generally easy to find due to there being good gyms around.
>>
>>3071977
as long as you aren't a tub of lard you'll be fine as a beginner. any training you put in before hand will be beneficial, but no one should expect you to be outstanding on your first day. just get moving and figure out where your baseline is and where you want it to go
>>
>>3071977
get in to strength training. Short people become insanely strong for their size. Starting Strength is highly recommended.
>>
>>3070212
>if you live somewhere where a gun is an option
The problem is that even if you carry a gun, it may not be an option.

Shit happens.

Mechanical failures, failure to clear the holster, maybe you're in a place like a courthouse or airport where you can't carry, etc.

You need a backup plan. A lot of gun carriers just think if anybody is going to attack them with a melee weapon, they'll just shoot them. The problem is that they assume they'll have the time and distance to shoot anybody who comes after them.

Most self defense encounters are going to occur within 7 yards. Attackers can bumrush that distance pretty quickly, often before the average gunman can draw and fire. Even assuming the gunman can get a few shots off, there's no guarantee the attacker will stop. Most handgun rounds don't have the power to consistently stop someone in one shot, and with adrenaline and/or other drugs running through an attacker's system, it could take way more shots to stop the attacker than you're able to pull off before they're in melee range.

And that's assuming your attacker is rushing from the outside. An attacker can use false pretenses to get within arm's reach, or they could just straight up jump you from behind. Going for the gun automatically isn't always the best idea in this scenario, because while you're going for the gun, they're shanking the hell out of you. You need martial arts training to be able to get the guy off of you, wrestle for your gun, and to create space so you can use it.
>>
>>3072160
personally i like what they're doing in europe now, can't use guns or mechanical parts for a bomb? Start buying house hold cleaners and putting them in coke bottles, spray people with acid.

Acid attacks are the best thing for street battles
>>
>>3072040
Did ss for a bit. 110kg squat, 45kg bench, 65 clean, 100 dead and 50ohp. Also did a 40kg snatch and a 72 kg clean with a 70kg clean and jerk. Not saying im strong but I have an idea on what to do and find it enjoyable.

Strength I guess SS and see if I can find another oly coach to help me, that was really fun till I got hit by a car. Really did a number on my right side. only just now have physios allowed me to get back to it so shopping around for gyms. Always been shit at cardio so losing 10kg through the last couple months has made me want it more. Fit for martial arts learning is a goal that will motivate me to actually do the cardio.
>>
>>3071920
MMA is the best but not everybody teaches it well. Hardly enough people teach anything well to be honest.
>>
my favorite martial art is yoga, and it's great because the classes come with my regular gym membership
>>
>>3069696
Wow wu actually came back. So how many tourneys have you entered oh awakened one.
>>
>>3070367
>We have all the techniques of other styles, just together in one system.

bullshit, any style that trains multiple things, like grappling and sword under one roof, HAS to maintain a core of redundant body movements and principles, Otherwise your just training a series of desperate techniques without retaining anything.
>>
>>3072492
thank you!
this is why goju is the ultimate choice, instead of learning striking and grappling, then filling in the blanks and trying to find the transitional movements between them. It already has the two aspects built in seamlessly together
>>
>>3072546
Test it at tournaments. Test your ultimate art against others. Because when you do odds are you're going to get smashed.

There is no ultimate martial art. That idea is for people with tremendous egos. Believing your fighting technique is superior when it hasn't been tested is what causes mcdojos to form in the first place. It's why I will believe in a guy fighting in MMA rather than a master of to won fu holed up in his dojo, a frog in the well.
>>
>>3072624
gunnar nelson is a goju fighter, he proves it all!
>>
>>3072708
Gunna Nelson in all his fights has shown BJJ with basic like real basic Machida tactics in his striking and hes on like what a 3 fight lose streak?
>>
nufag here. in decent physical shape. what martial art should i start off with?
>>
>>3072731
you don't have to get fancy when fundamentals are what win fights
14 fight win streak, a loss by decision, a win, then another loss by decision, 2 wins, and this last loss was the only time he has ever been finished. it should be a NC because there was blatantly shitty reffing going on, He was beating the other guy up and then he got eye poked 4 times, and had his shorts grabbed to slow his movement and the ref didn't call any of it

15 wins have been finishes

I'm not being a dick rider or anything but he's actually really good
>>
>>3072772
Try a few classes in your area and see what you like.

Pretty much every school is going to have a free intro class.
>>
So a friend and I love playing around with ideas from meme martial arts. This is one of the topics of the week:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailhouse_rock_(fighting_style)
>>
>>3070511
Budo is the term used for Japanese martial arts wherein the primary emphasis is development of the individual through martial arts practice, often through sport. Bujutsu emphasizes the fighting aspect (whether or not they are successful is a different discussion).
>>
>>3071948
>being short can be considered an advantage
Until you keep getting fucked up by some lanklet and his uchimata....
>>
>>3072479
It's not him. Without even considering the posts' content, the writing is too coherent and not flowery enough to be Wu.

I think there is a good chance Wu became an hero.
>>
>>3072160
>Most handgun rounds don't have the power to consistently stop someone in one shot, and with adrenaline and/or other drugs running through an attacker's system, it could take way more shots to stop the attacker than you're able to pull off before they're in melee range.

I agree with most of what you said, but that up there in green is just stupid. If a person is so doped up that gunshot to a non vital area won't slow them down, what do you think your reverse punch + kiai will do?
>>
>>3073692
I'm not saying "throw away your gun and engage in fisticuffs".

If you're shooting someone and they're about to sink a knife into your neck, focus on not getting stabbed in the neck first.
>>
>>3073471

Butt buddy?
>>
>>3071920
How short are you out of interest? I want to know if I'm short as well (5'9'').
>>
>>3073671
We can only hope
>>
>>3065410
Ask Floyd
>>
>>3074113
>Ask someone with worse timing and precision
>>
>>3073751

Train BJJ together so basically yes
>>
>>3074130
>>Ask a guy who just tarred and feathered Conor in a match dictated by timing and precision

Makes sense to me
>>
>>3074226
Come on now Ben, is it really feathering if you're just putting them straight back on the cock?
>>
>>3074226
I get it that you really want a bull, but stop being delusional
>>
>>3070232
>Koreans finally learning they can't hide their lies about their copycat martial arts having an ancient lineage tied to legendary warriors and deciding to assert their game of footsie tag has self-defense applications.
I don't get why Koreans are doing this. It's embarrassing as fuck. Everyone knows that the founders of TKD, Tang Soo Doo, Hapkido, and practically every other South Korean art was based on Japanese/Okinawan karate or Chinese kung fu with lots of kicks.
>>
>>3070240
>Yuki Nakai
>mfw when I saw Choke and thought that Nakai was the real hero of the story
Dude has massive cojones. He deserves a movie about his life.
>>
>>3070240
Cheers lad. I may just do it next year after I've done some training here in the UK.
>>
is Wing Chun a bullshit system? From what I've seen from my friend who is 'black belt equivalent' in WC he seems to fit all the 'What to look out for' red flags. He's overweight, does that thing where he tells you to punch him but then says 'no not that way' when he's showing you techniques etc. etc.
>>
>>3075181
wing chun is really hit or miss. i had the chance to train with two different instructors and there systems seemed to be competent.
>>
Does it matter what BJJ gi you buy? Guy I know told me to just buy a Valor one.
>>
>>3074994
Apparently he did suffer brain damage from all the fights he was in sadly - my coach said he was very friendly and competent, but clearly had some form of boxer's dementia.
>>
>>3075293
This is why weight classes are implemented. While I admire Nakai for his gutsy performance, he had NO business being in the ring with Gordeau, Pittman, and Rickson; all of whom outweighed and outsized him.
>>
>>3075346
>>3075293
>>3074994
The jap fighters have the biggest balls on earth; They all have this streak in them where they give zero shits about their personal wellbeing. You have all these yanks and hues making excuses as to why they can't fight and then a japanese dude will just take on anything.

>Minowaman always related.

As a side note I've just downloaded a pack of all the early Vale Tudo Japan events. Looking forward to watching them all the way through in chronological order to appease my early-MMA autism.
>>
>>3075280
I remember somebody in the BJJ gi industry telling me that almost all gis are made in about 7 Pakistani factories. The only difference is the material, but the production process is the same.
>>
>>3075181
>>3075222
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpM7qygjb_c
Never trained wing chun but it seems to me like it's a thing you could add to your arsenal.
>>
When doing traditional muscle work outs (not power ball) do you insert martial arts drills into the training? If so what?
>ex. bodyweight/air squats throwing a kick after every squat
>>
>>3075627
throw two kicks, hop and then spin
>>
>>3068313
Red bar means that they are instructors.
>>
>>3075645
>>3068313
Similarly, a white bar on a black belt is for competitors.
>>
>>3072772
BJJ is the only martial art I have real experience with and it's pretty fuggin fun man.
>>
File: Kata Otoshi.webm (3MB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
Kata Otoshi.webm
3MB, 400x224px
>>3075181
There's some good principles to be gotten from Wing Chun, but there's too many bad instructors who think rapid straight line punches are the answer to everything.
>>
I'm starting to think you guys are latent homos or something. I watched Connor vs Floyd, googled why this McGregor dude was so popular, and landed in the world of MMA. I figured 4chins would have a martial arts board so I read the sticky and followed through on your advice: boxing and BJJ. I had my first boxing class and right now I'm not so keen on going to the BJJ one tomorrow.

> buy gloves, shoes, pants
> nobody told me only competitions have pants, gyms do not use them or something
> I enter and change into my new clothes
> changing room is predominantly black
> "who's this boy?"
> mfw I'm about to get bullied for being the new kid
> "I'm anon"
> "oh yeah? well you look like you's having a small dick"
> not sure I heard him right, stare at the guy and what I assume to be his friends that continue dressing
> "I'm gon' fight you to see if you has potential"
> I get lead to a separate dressing room
> told to lose my pants and underwear
> gloves are taped on my hands
> I'm pushed out into a room with a stage and podium, thankfully not more than 5 people are watching
> I get pushed on the stage into the ring
> asshole dude is waiting for me there
> referee rings bell and opponent starts assuming his fighting stance, moves swiftly around me
> I try to keep my hands up, but can't take my eyes off his dick dangling between his legs
> "eyes up here boy, is you gay?"
> I get uppercut (or so I'm told) and everything ends, wake up in dressing room

Nobody was there yet, probably thought I was going to be out longer, so I dressed and got the hell out of there.
>>
>>3073692
the bullet only penetrates their physical body, but a proper kiai loaded reverse punch will disrupt their chi network
>>
>>3076063
>go to boxing class
>accidentally get raped
>>
Can we finally admit now that everything besides traditional martial arts are impractical meme styles
>>
>>3075181
Some of its trapping and stomps seem to be useful. But like a lot of TMA, you only supplement elements of Wing Chun into a far better foundation like Muay Thai or Boxing.

>>3075346
I don't get why he didn't just go to the hospital. He could've easily gone to some clinic in secret so that he could get proper treatment. That way, he'd still have his right eye functioning.
>>
>>3072331
Those lifts are terrible. You have to train more m8
>>
>>3074113
Unless you know him personally, you can't. If you wrote to him, he wouldn't be able to read it.
>>
>>3070131
>anything high or flashy is a complete waste of time and energy
>I've never gotten a head kick thrown at me before
Nobody sees a headkick coming.
>>
>>3076444
basically, yes. Show me any martial art made after 1900 with any merit at all

you can't
>for thousands of years human conflicts were settled by hand to hand combat
>apparently the people who had to kill others with their own hands to survive didn't know what they were doing
>only people from 1996 onward who never had to do something like that actually figured it out
>>
Day two of mma training. We focused on grappling.

We rolled and I got my ass crushed. Humbling when you get dismantled and choked in a matter of seconds.
>>
>>3076063
Have some common sense anon, 4chan should have taught you that 2 niggers are one too many
>>
>>3077973

Martial principles are universal, however they are practiced through martial arts. Errybody claims their art is the ;one true unified theory' of martial principles, but in actuality it's at best a tailoring of one groups understanding of them to the needs that their time presents combatively, recreationally and socially. As these needs change and evolve, so will the arts designed to meet them, which in turn will create 'new' arts branching off.

You seem to think hand to hand combat was more common in the past, but I think it's the opposite. For thousands of years society wasn't comfy, it was a feudal shithole, and thus everybody carried weapons. The resurgence of unarmed combat is a direct result of modern society creating a bubble of primarily docile, non armed people, and the predation that results in that situation.
>>
>>3069696
Wu, who was your Tai Chi teacher?
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.