[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember when WWE major PPVs had storytelling and featured storylines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_7289.jpg (495KB, 1500x1060px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7289.jpg
495KB, 1500x1060px
Remember when WWE major PPVs had storytelling and featured storylines elements.

When the fuck did they stop doing that? There was none tonight.
>>
>>3039078
Do you specifically mean backstage vignettes and promos? It's good that they don't do that at PPVs, that's what RAM and Cuckdown are for. If you mean telling stories within matches, there wasn't much but there was some. AJ vs Owens was clearly the continuation of a storyline since it had McMahon shenanigans. The main event set up more heat between Braun and Bork. It wasn't completely devoid of plot progression.
>>
When was the last PPV that had a run-in from a stable or someone turning? I feel like only NXT does it now.
>>
When they became a publicly traded company, things started slowly changing. First they started scripting promos. Then they taught everyone in OVW to wrestle the exact same way.

Now storylines are too risky. Creative meetings are basically
>who should be champ, based on toys and merchandising?
>well, we have an idea to have a glowing women's WWE belt based on Naomi
>kids love it, the focus groups are ecstatic
>make her champ!
>the glow belts have peaked in the market, and now flatlined
>put the belt on someone who will change it back to the original design!
>>
Storylines are dead.
>>
File: Shadman.gif (768KB, 280x182px) Image search: [Google]
Shadman.gif
768KB, 280x182px
>>3039078
>>
I felt that the Raw Tag team match had good storytelling. I don't watch Raw but that promo package got me into both the storyline and the match. Other than that, you're right
>>
File: 1502980245045.gif (4MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1502980245045.gif
4MB, 600x338px
>>
File: 1501390640078.jpg (24KB, 488x376px) Image search: [Google]
1501390640078.jpg
24KB, 488x376px
>>
File: f529c6eeb6c1532b-600x400.jpg (77KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
f529c6eeb6c1532b-600x400.jpg
77KB, 600x400px
This happens in NXT all the time, great story and setting up at main events for stables, new teams etc etc.

Why the fuck does WWE not do it anymore? They did it all the time in the 90s.
>>
>>3039936
No ones wants story when they watch wrestling.
>>
>>3040551
Story is about a million more times import than wrestling. I couldn't give a shit if you're some 5'10 chump in plain trunks going by your own name whose gimmick is 'I wrestle'. Especially when the WWE will make you wrestle the same boring style as everyone else. The WWE are crying out for some actual memorable characters and storylines that last beyond a couple of weeks.
>>
>>3040560
Be careful what you wish for. Long term storylines:
Alicia FOOOOOOOOOOOOOX with Dar.
Seth "mah knee hurts" Rollins
Randy Orton with if-you-can't-beat-them-join-them ending with projection of maggots onto the mat at WM
And lot more. You just don't see them, or rather you choose not to see them, cause they are garbage. Or they are not garbage in one of the point of the storyline, but in the end it usually is garbage.
For example Randy Orton picking Wyatt family from inside with Luke Harper seeing why they shouldn't trust him and trying to convince Bray to see what Randy is about. That was cool. But when Randy burned down some shit it started to go to hell.
So you just choose not to see there are a lot of stories going on right now, because they usually fucking suck.
>>
>>3040560
>>3040579
And to add to my point - story is told by wrestling. Look at Gargano v Cien on Saturday. There was no animosity at the start, there wasn't any story besides their own personal stories going into the match. But the match told fucking awesome story of these two personalities clashing.
And the end was brought up by two outside elements. Cien's manager is one and Ciampa is the other and they joined in one great punctuation point. In simple act of throwing a tshirt at the face of Gargano she did more then some 15 minutes promo could.
>>
>>3040560
Story doesn't exist.
>>
>>3039078
>shadman
Go back to /v/ faggot
>>
>>3040579
They nail it sometimes though. Sheamus and Cesaro for example just had a great long term storyline. It started about a year ago and it's only now losing a bit of steam, mostly because it's reached its logical conclusion and there's really nothing for tag teams to do after they win the belts.
>>
File: 1488183853450.jpg (15KB, 363x363px) Image search: [Google]
1488183853450.jpg
15KB, 363x363px
>>3039078
>shadman
>>
>shadman
>>
>>3039936
This, people for some reason think NXT and by extension the indies and Japanese wrestling are all moves and wrestling and no story but that couldn't be further from the truth, they usually have better stories than WWE does these days.
>>
>>3040586
Gargano v Cien was great when it came to advancing the story of both characters even thought they didn't have any particular feud with one another, it's just a shame that Gargano will continue to essentially go nowhere because Ciampa is hurt.

Black v Hideo was also great in that regard.
>>
>>3039101

A PPV like SummerSlam is supposed to feature some CLOSURE as well. This is a Big 4 PPV, it's when you blow off storylines that have been building for months.

They hardly did any of that, because they hardly had any storylines built up worth a shit going into the PPV, because this company is fucking awful all the time
>>
>>3039078
The Raw tag match had the story of Seth and Dean putting aside their differences
>>
>>3040560

Then why are you watching wrestling, retard?

The wrestling is supposed to BE the storyline, but 99% of WWE matches can't even do that right. It's "Let's Waddle Through the Shine and Heat Before We Trade Finishers Until the Refs Tell Us We're Out of Time."

And then maybe the babyface who lost due to his own gross incompetence tries to murder someone with an ambulance, because that's what a babyface does, sure.
>>
File: 5718724947808551036.jpg (38KB, 558x419px) Image search: [Google]
5718724947808551036.jpg
38KB, 558x419px
>>3042662
>heat
>shine
>>
>>3039936
I'm actually intrigue for the next Nxt episode.
>>
File: 1495397580863.jpg (49KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1495397580863.jpg
49KB, 500x375px
>shadman
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.