[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The shortest ever IWGP Heavyweight Title reign was 25 days, the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

The shortest ever IWGP Heavyweight Title reign was 25 days, the WWE Championship Title had 37 reigns that were shorter than that, 5 of which lasted only a day, and 9 that didn't even last a whole show.

Do you think the WWE devalued it's top prize with all this hot potatoing?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf78v6Fa9vI

That piece of trash isn't worth the Toys R' Us aisle it's stacked upon.
>>
Undoubtedly, but of course dumbass smarks love it
>>
>>2980743
I watch both shows, and NJPW makes their top title feel way more important than WWE. Especially lately with the two titles on two brands, one being held by a (deserving) part timer who wrestles 5 times a year, and the other being held by a career jobber for the sole reason of pandering to a new market.
>>
>>2980743
For reference, the average WWE title reign is around 93 days (86 if considering only the period in which both titles coexisted) while the average IWGP reign is 165 days.
>>
>>2980743
I do. I get annoyed when a babyface FINALLY wins the belt only for Mr Money I the Bank to cash in 2 minutes later and become the champion for another 4 months as the dumb founded looking babyfaces has to play catch up again.

If you just won the belt and Mr Money in the Bank is on his way down, why wouldn't you try and run away? What's the worst that will happen? You get counted out and keep the belt. You may have to give that guy another title shot, but at least then you'll be back up to full strength.
>>
File: NXT_REV_Photob_54-4035331215.jpg (43KB, 642x361px) Image search: [Google]
NXT_REV_Photob_54-4035331215.jpg
43KB, 642x361px
>>2980833
Contrary to popular belief, WWE is still able to tell a damn good babyface rising to the title story, the problem is that they have NO CLUE of how to do a compelling babyface title reign to pay off that arc with, hence the abundance of subterfuge like the MitB cash-in and Owens killing Sami immediately after pic related.
>>
both companies have too many titles, but at least njpw makes sure not to bury theirs. the fucking never is worth more than wwe's ic and us.

>>2980858
not saying that nxt isnt wwe, but it doesn't suffer the same over exposure that the main product has which is what ruins their stories.
>>
>>2980757
>smarks love WWE

>>2980858
>WWE

2014 NXT alone is nothing like 2017 RAW or Smackdown

>>2980873
Sami was on NXT basically every week during this angle so that doesn't work
>>
>>2980858
I disagree. Sami losing the NXT title was actually quite clever. He held it for like a month or two but his rage got the better of him and he was thinking with his heart, not his head. Owens being smart as fuck, didn't want to wait in line for a title shot, so he tricked Sami to giving him one. The story would have been better if Sami won the title back in a rematch after though. Like he realises why he lost in the first place and decided to use his head this time.
>>
>>2980743
Yes. Putting it on a complete jobber didn't help either.

>>2980858
WWE =/= NXT. Vince and his monkeys could never have pulled off Zayn's run on the main roster.
>>
>>2980894
but the show being one hour long compared to three keeps his segments shorter.

its really hard to get over if you have to talk for five to fifteen minutes every show.
>>
>>2980952
I don't know, it made what should've been a heartwarming moment of victory into something bittersweet, even when Sami succedeed he still got fucked.

I would've much preferred if Sami had his reign and KO debuted and did this in a later Takeover.
>>
>>2980743
To be fair, a lot of those are from MITB cash-ins. WWE still counts those 15 minute reigns.
>>
>>2980967
>but the show being one hour long compared to three keeps his segments shorter.

Show your working.

>>2981012
>it made what should've been a heartwarming moment of victory into something bittersweet, even when Sami succedeed he still got fucked.

Almost like it's the point...
>>
>>2981178
The point is shit, living in a constant state of having the rug pulled from under you is not entertaining.
>>
>>2981163

Then maybe MITB is a mistake
>>
Length of reign isn't the only thing that brings value to the title. There are situations where you can tell a story about two guys at the absolute top of their game fighting each other and taking the title back and forth will actually increase the value. Like all things in storytelling, it's not about the act itself, it's about the execution.

Other things are also important:
>The champion
>Their challengers
>How often title shots are given out and how they're earned.

And so on and so forth. NJPW right now ticks all of those boxes -- the G1 is this massive event where everybody goes balls to the wall so the prize, a shot at the championship, feels extremely weighty.

Randy Orton got a shot at the championship at Battleground by saying "Rar I'm mad, he beat up my dad, gimme a shot." and Shane went "k, but he picks the stip." and Mahal went "Uhhh Punjabi Prison." That whole process unfolded in the space of a few minutes and Randy didn't have to DO anything to get the shot, and the less said about the match itself, the better.

On the other hand, Lesnar is a total real life badass and just to get a title shot at him, you have to win a fatal five way against four other extremely competent dudes, so that's great. But then the next title shot is just "Braun Strowman attacked these guys during this match, so, it's a four way now, I guess!" Don't get me wrong, it's probably gonna be a great match and the story of Lesnar leaving WWE is interesting and melds with real life, but my point is, the title shot is being given out arbitrarily and multi-man matches for the title dilute it a bit.

tl;dr: Shit's complicated.
>>
>>2981627
>But then the next title shot is just "Braun Strowman attacked these guys during this match, so, it's a four way now, I guess!"
You're saying that as Braun didn't beat Roman and Joe wasn't defeated with 1 F5 yet, it was Roman Joe who got match for the opportunity at the title
>>
>>2980743
NJPW will never have a moment like when Jinder or Miz beat Orton for the title.

long reigns look nice on paper but it's about what you do with the belt and how you got it and how you dropped it is all that matters. CM Punk was champion for a year and a half and no one remembers a single title match he was in other than when he won it and how he lost it to the Rock.
>>
>>2981671
Yeah, you're right. Like, the idea there was "We dunno where the fuck Braun is, so we can't give him the shot, so, Roman and Joe will fight it out."

Then Braun came back and murdered both of them. Logically, it should just be Braun vs. Brock 1v1 at that point.

Brock vs. Joe wasn't done in a way that would lead to a rematch at all (as you said, one F5) Roman's on like an 0-3 streak on PPV. Which I guess explains why he's murdering everybody on TV left and right. Neither of them deserve a shot right now.
>>
>>2981681
>CM Punk was champion for a year and a half and no one remembers a single title match he was in other than when he won it and how he lost it to the Rock.

desu even that might be going too far. Everybody remembers him winning at MitB. Does anybody remember him winning at Survivor Series?
>>
>>2981681
Punk is a shit person, but he did put some classics on, Jericho, Dbry (which I believe really put em both on the map) and even the Miz put up during that reign.
>>
>>2981681
>NJPW will never have a moment like when Jinder or Miz beat Orton for the title.

How can you possibly have the gumption to try and pass that as a negative?
>>
>>2980743
When are you faggots going to understand that a promotion that runs a minimum of five hours of wrestling a week and a promotion that does one show every couple of months are not going to be booked the same way?
>>
>>2981681
>NJPW will never have a moment like when Jinder or Miz beat Orton for the title.

Literally Okada's first run you bandwagoning faggot
>>
Miz already killed the title years ago
>>
File: bobsapp.jpg (45KB, 398x599px) Image search: [Google]
bobsapp.jpg
45KB, 398x599px
GOAT
>>
>>2980743
How many of those short title reigns were a result of the MITB?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.