[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important is mic skill with the current state of WWE? Thusw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

How important is mic skill with the current state of WWE?

Thusw guy surprised me and made me realise how good promos can be that differ from the standard "i'ma punch you in the mouwth, end promo"
>>
95% of the roster cuts the same shitty scripted promo so I no longer care about mic skills
>>
>>2927114
The Miz is one of the better guys, ambrose can technically talk pretty well but his material/personality is dog shit. Rollins was a better heel on the mic, Cena is great but rehashed.
I'd say mic skills are very important but it depends on the wrestler really and how they deliver the promo.
And whether they can hold your attention.
>>
>>2927171
Vince micro-manages promos down to the tone so even delivery isn't on the "superstar"
>>
>>2927180
>down to the tone
Any proof of this? It would be extremely time consuming for the wrestlers and Vince to rehearse the "tone" and the material.
Chances are the tone is down to them considering every show contains so many promos.
>>
>>2927171
Miz does the same shit over and over again. He's garbage.
>>
>>2927220
It's usually only with people Vince is "hands-on" with, somebody mentioned it on a podcast recently that Vince was adamant they use a certain inflection with a certain word.
>>
>>2927114
The Drifter got some mic time when he was nearing his NXT run, together with his El Vagabundo schtick. I think that’s why some older fans don’t realize he’s good on talking.
>>
It's always been about mic skill, they've never been a strong technical wrestling show so it's about bringing you into the story.
Hell you could prop an entire career on promos and get away with it
>>
>>2927229
Certain words I can understand but it can't be entire promos. Which is the bread and butter of promo packages.

>>2927227
He's one of the better guys but he's still pretty shit imo, it's just a case of "better than most of the shitters" and he's at least watchable.
>>
>>2927254
Then why is their FOTC a guy who can't talk to save his life?
>>
Honeatly the least important of the major facets of pro wrestling.

At the bottom is promo work which honestly depending on the character one plays may not be important at all.

Next step above is a person's ability to handle non-wrestling segments in general. This doesn't necessarily mean just mic skills, and honestly requires a greater deal of acting from the performers. It's honestly what got someone like Stone Cold super over and fun to watch in the Attitude Era.

Then it's look. Sorry, but if you some scrawny ass dude, chances are you won't go that high up the card as it will become near impossible to work out how you stand a chance against the bigger guys in the roster. Having a unique look goes a long way as well.

Above that is a two way tie between natural charisma and in-ring ability. One can be a worker like Hulk Hogan who's not particularly good at all the above things + in-ring (except look), but still become a top of the card guy because of natural charisma. This can also come out as a result of the personality of the character, too. In-ring is obviously super important because ultimately every thing else is still a hype package for big matches, and if the matches don't deliver its not worth a person's time to invest in anything else.

But the absolute most important thing is how everything in a promotion is booked. This is the difference between modern WWE where we have some of the most talented people ever in the history of the medium yet get boring results and 90s ECW which entailed everything from super technical wrestlers who weren't really big talkers to garbage wrestlers who sucked at wrestling, but the promotion was entertaining because the booking focused on everyone's strengths. A modern day example is NJPW which has managed to make every Okada v Tanahashi match entertaining despite both having faced each other so many times, and continues to make us excited for a potential third encounter between Okada v Omega.
>>
>>2927271
>underestimating how much Vince micro-manages

Do you really think it's a coincidence that every top face becomes a smug jokester?
>>
>>2927302
Not what I'm getting at I can't see Vince micro-managing the "tone" of every promo. The skill it would take for a wrestler to remember the tone for every sentence with every promo their given is too much.

Simple words spoken off a script is doable.
>>
>>2927332
And now you know why Vince thinks everybody sucks.
>>
>>2927298
Personally I would put mic skill slightly below delivering a promo and above the rest, maybe tied with ring work, I can only remember one or two dbry promos despite his lines being good for example.

2017 Roman has had some good material but it's overshadowed by his shoddy mic skill.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.