[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any actual storylines in this or are the storylines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 11

File: NJPW-Logo.png (76KB, 286x286px) Image search: [Google]
NJPW-Logo.png
76KB, 286x286px
Are there any actual storylines in this or are the storylines all just "they're athletes after the title". Because if not, what's the point in watching a fake sport?
>>
Why don't you watch it and find out OP
>>
>>2922154
>he watches wrestling for the storylines
>he wants Suzuki to have a white son
>>
>>2922154
Genuine question or just trolling?
>>
The Shibata redemption arc was going strong before they wrote the character off.
>>
>>2922171
>>2922176
>>2922180
So you can't answer the question then?
>>
>>2922183
I can if you really want to know.

Tell me a wrestler and I will tell you his story in 2017.
>>
>Because if not, what's the point in watching a fake sport?

Autism
>>
>>2922191
List them all.
>>
>>2922183
If you're looking for soap opera bullshit you're in the wrong place

New Japan stories are usually based in personal character motivations
>>
>>2922203
Oh now you are silly. That would be contraproductive and would take too long. Choose one.
>>
>>2922154
Of course there are stories.
>>
>>2922225
>one
But you said all of them have stories in 2017 so prove it.
>>
>>2922154
They do the best gymnastics.
>>
>>2922260
I asked you if this is genuine question, or if you are trolling. You just proved you are trolling.

There are too many wrestlers to write their stories here. It would take too long. Choose one.
>>
>>2922260
I like the implication here that everybody in WWE has stories which is patently untrue.

>>2922265
>t. never even watched one show
>>
>>2922268
>>2922225
I admit I have never watched an entire show but I have seen several matches. What is the story with Naito? He seems cool.
>>
File: naito daryl.webm (2MB, 580x326px) Image search: [Google]
naito daryl.webm
2MB, 580x326px
>>2922283

Naito was a bland babyface who was essentially Tanahashi Jr. He won the G1 and earned a title shot at the Tokyo Dome but NJPW held a fan vote to see whether he should main event. The fans voted for him not to do it and the shame pretty much broke him. He went to Mexico, where he learnt to be tranquilo and now he basically gives no fucks about anything NJPW holds dear. He wants to be champion to shove the belt up the company's ass and prove he's the best but he no longer has any respect for anything.
>>
>>2922283
Naito is a babyface that was rejected by the fans and has since become a rebellious heel that doesn't give a shit
>>
B-b-b-but muh workrate, muh anime club, muh kirby, muh flips
E-DRONES SEETHING XDDD
>>
>>2922293
Don't leave out the part where in Mexico he met Rush, a guy who went through the exact same character arc as him, from bland babyface poised for greatness but rejected to no fucks given ultra over anti-authority tweener.

Both of them are basically Roman Reigns done right.
>>
File: 1461176619281.jpg (10KB, 234x250px) Image search: [Google]
1461176619281.jpg
10KB, 234x250px
there are too many matches in the g1, is there a site where someone can list out the best matches from each day?
>>
>>2922309
>round robin tournament
>too many matches

dumb frogposter
>>
>>2922309
Skip all the matches with people over 35, watch everything else.
>>
>>2922293
>>2922294
>>2922305
That does sound breddy gud
>>
>>2922293
>ways to get Roman over: the post
>>
>>2922320
Reigns doesn't have the charisma
>>
>>2922314
this but the exact opposite
>>
>>2922314
>skip Tanhashi
>skip Ishii
>skip Nagata
>skip Suzuki

Do no listen to this idiot
>>
>>2922327
Shit, forgot about Suzuki. Otherwise, yeah, skip 'em.
>>
No it's just fake sports and smark shit.
>>
>>2922328
Suzuki is, at best, the third-best wrestler among those names. Fuck outta here.

>skip Goto
>skip Yano
>>
Yuji Nagata is an old man that was once an Ace, a top babyface. He is getting up there in years, and is desperately trying to prove himself as a man still worthy of the adoration the fans give him. This is his last G1 Climax, his last real effort at going for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, and this makes his marches fucking awesome.

He's a badass old fucker that is pushing it to the limit no matter who he faces, so he's getting 4+ stars and really compelling matches out of guys like Yoshi-Hashi and Hirooki Goto.

He's also one of the last guys that wrestle what you can reasonably call Strong Style, all brutal strikes, suplexes, and grapples. That's not to call today's style bad, but he is a legend from another era, so his work should be appreciated.

He's like a samurai in the Meiji Era of Japan; the feudal system is gone, modern soldiers have firearms, and there is no place for him, but he is determined to go out on his feet.

Also his demon face armbar is fucking awesome
>>
>>2922329
You're smart: >>2922293
>>
>>2922333
>He's like a samurai in the Meiji Era of Japan; the feudal system is gone, modern soldiers have firearms, and there is no place for him, but he is determined to go out on his feet.

God you weebs are cringe.
>>
>>2922331
I like Tana, but I'm sick of his matches after all this time.

Never fell for the Ishii meme.

Yano is unfunny.

Don't get the appeal of all the others.
>>
>>2922309
Don't worry, even Meltzer got worn out, it's completely normal. Just go to YouTube first for highlights (mute the sound), from there you pick which match interest you.
>>
>>2922335
Not even a weeb, that was just the first example that came to mind, considering this shit is all Japanese
>>
>>2922342
>watching Who Japan
>not a weeb

Yeah OK.
>>
>>2922309
Search out the match cards on Cagematch and pick the high rated ones that interest you. But you should really watch as many as you can since there's not better time to acquaint yourself with the wrestlers than the G1.
>>
>>2922345
Show me some stuff as hard hitting as Makabe, Ishii, Nagata, and Goto from somewhere else
>>
>>2922336
>Ishii
>meme

Consistently having the best matches is a "meme"?

>Don't get the appeal

Because you're a pleb.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (123KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
123KB, 600x400px
>>2922371
>>
>>2922371
Actual fighting.
>>
File: PLYP3l9.png (595KB, 600x706px) Image search: [Google]
PLYP3l9.png
595KB, 600x706px
>>2922320
People always make the Naito/Roman connection, but I don't think it's quite the same.

Naito went somewhere, away from New Japan, he had a journey on CMLL where a mentor took him under his wing and gave him a new perspective of life, he came back to New Japan as a changed man, and anyone curious could just track down what happened in Mexico to see why, it's not like he just flipped a switch and stopped caring from one event to the other.

Roman has nowhere to go to do this. What? Is Vince going to come down, say he's disappointed at Roman because he never got over despite being handed everything and demote him to NXT? WWE uses their tenuous connection to PROGRESS to ship Roman there, where he joins British Strong Style, then he comes back and forms British Strong Style of America?
>>
>>2922377
>Consistently having the best matches is a "meme"?
Yes, thinking this is true is a huge meme.
>>
>>2922379
>>2922381
Shit's boring though.
>>
>>2922389
Please name somebody who you think is consistently better than Ishii so I can laugh at you more
>>
>>2922392
Sasha Banks
>>
>>2922371
It's fake, it's not supposed to be "hard hitting"
>>
>>2922395
I hope you don't think that non-Strong Style matches don't hurt
>>
>>2922392
Now that you already made up your mind to be a smug shit about this, does anyone I can name even make a difference? This is just a difference in objective opinion: I don't think Ishii's matches are all that good (other than vs. Shibata, I guess) and you'd pay a dollar to suck his peen, I gotcha.
>>
>>2922401
Subjective* Burp.
>>
>>2922401
His matches with Shibata aren't even his best you pleb

>doesn't even have enough confidence in his own views to name somebody
>>
>>2922379
>>2922381
I enjoy MMA, but that's way different. Pro wrestling is more like watching an action movie. It's not realistic, it's flashy and dramatic.

I like both, but for big bad motherfuckers throwing lariats and chops for ten minutes until they fall over, I like NJPW.

It's too bad because WWE could do that kind of thing; I remember a couple potato matches with Sheamus and...who was it, he had real stiff matches with? Albert, maybe?
>>
>>2922409
What part of opinion you don't understand, you jackass? I like pretty much the entire locker room more than Ishii, but as I said, you already made up your mind. Fuck off.
>>
>>2922411
Sheamus and Zack Ryder got into a fight once, that was pretty enjoyable. Also that Ladder Match between Dolph and Luke Harper was a cool match for some guys trying to kill each other
>>
>>2922416
>getting this pissy

In the future (You) can avoid getting put in your place like this by not calling thing you don't like "meme"
>>
>>2922416
Yeah Yano is really tossing out those classic matches every time he gets in the ring

Jado and Gedo, too

Oh man and Chase Owens

Not the guy you're trolling, but man you're full of shit
>>
>>2922411
>I remember a couple potato matches with Sheamus and...who was it, he had real stiff matches with?

Barrett?
Cesaro?
HarpGOAT?
>>
>>2922425
The only guy he's even remotely praised is Suzuki

He's so transparent
>>
>>2922171
I would've watched this g1 thing if there weren't a fucking million matches. I watched the g1 us special and it was alright but it seemed like they're too focused on realism and getting rid of what really makes wrestling unique. If I wanted to watch a realistic sport, I wouldn't watch wrestling.
>>
>>2922440
Do you not get how a Round Robin works?

>but it seemed like they're too focused on realism and getting rid of what really makes wrestling unique.

Imagine saying this about a show headlined by Kenny Omega
>>
>>2922448
It doesn't matter why there are that many matches, I'm just not gonna sit down and watch multiple hours across multiple days of something I'm just mildly interested in. Also, that's another thing putting me off from new Japan, Jenny omega and the rest of the bullet club are fucking cringe incarnate, worse than d generation x.
>>
>>2922471
Tournament matches for G1 don't even usually hit 2 hours per day all up
>>
>>2922429
Pretty sure it was Albert in his gay weeb phase, but I feel like it's someone else that you wouldn't really think of. This was 2-3 years ago I think. Might have been Rusev. I know Sheamus and Bryan went at it, but he's not who I'm thinking of. Don't think it's Ryback either.
>>
>>2922154
>the only storylines you're allowed to have are crappy soap opera cliches!
WWEdrones are cancerous.
>>
>>2922542
What else is the point of watching a fake sport than for real life anime stories?
>>
>>2922327

I'm saying though. Nagata had some good matches from what I've seen. I'm even down with Zack Sabre Jr. I don't know what the fuck he was doing in cwc but that seems to have changed now.
>>
>>2922154
>Are there any actual storylines

Yes.
>>
Can someone explain Kenny's line in the intro to G1? Maybe I am too much of a retard to see it but his lines confuse me.

>One: It's beating you, Okada.
>Two: I'm not sure if it's meeting you in the finals.
>>
>>2922675
Yeah the CWC was the first time I watched ZSJ and I was 100% not sold on the hype surrounding him but his matches in this G1 have been great.
>>
>>2922786
He's teasing at a Ibushi match. Those two came up in the Jap indies together (and had a really gay tag team) and have had a long-ass rivalry with one another in which Omega has never been able to defeat Ibushi in a singles match.
>>
>>2922675
>>2922787
He's been less of a spotmonkey and actually been working body-parts properly.
Based Japan pulled that shitter aside and taught him some psychology.
>>
>>2922383
>WWE uses their tenuous connection to PROGRESS to ship Roman there, where he joins British Strong Style, then he comes back and forms British Strong Style of America?
You meme but I'd resub to Progress to watch it. You also forgot Evolve.
>>
>>2922383
>WWE uses their tenuous connection to PROGRESS to ship Roman there, where he joins British Strong Style, then he comes back and forms British Strong Style of America?
This is so retarded i want them to do it now. Roman, the guy who has the title, and the twink 12 year old he won it off. Call them the Atlantic Empire or some shit like that, maybe bring in The Revival and make them just an uber stable.
>>
>>2922811
More like he's too terrified of Suzuki to act up. But seriously I haven't given the guy enough credit, it seems like he knows that a PWG or similar crowd has different tastes than a Japan crowd and wrestles accordingly.
>>
>>2922208
But its all in a language you can barely understand. Ive studied for 3 years and its still really hard.
>>
>>2922819

I usually hate English commentary teams (Striker was fucking awful) but Kevin and Don actually do a pretty good job of conveying most of this stuff if you watch the English feed.
>>
>>2922799

Right that golden lovers team. I didn't know they had a feud after they split because he recall briefly looking to see how they as a team ended. I just thought they went separate ways and now both don't even bring each other up.
>>
>>2922830
They went their separate ways when Kenny signed full time as a junior for New Japan, Kota stuck to being a free agent, appearing mostly in DDT and being a heavyweight in New Japan. Their paths haven't crossed since, like, 2014. They had two singles matches when they were teaming, Kota won both, but now Omega "graduated" into a main eventing heavyweight, and the story is that he wants to show Kota how far he's come.

It's real neato, actually.
>>
>>2922819
Even for stuff before they had consistent english commentary there's people online who did translations and shit. Besides, you can easily understand the story without knowing what anyone is saying, hell, if anything it makes you appreciate more all the ways wrestlers tell a story through non-verbal means.
>>
>>2922154
Why shouldn't every single wrestler in a promotion be after a title?

That's not mutually exclusive with them having storylines which aren't about the title, but if their kayfabe motivation for being there in the first place isn't to excel and do as well as they can (with the belt being the measure of that) why bother with the fake sport format at all?
>>
>>2922842
He also took shots at Kota for wasting time fucking around in stuff like the CWC while he became a main eventer and NJPW.
>>
>>2922851
While you were losing to TJ Perkins, I was studying the blade.
>>
>>2922154
If all you want is storylines then why don't you watch soap operas?
>>
>>2922825
Don and Kevin are pure unfiltered cancer.
>>
>>2922268
Oh I don't care about the wwe. I should've probably mentioned I'm not the first guy you were talking to that was just baiting. I'm just calling you out on your bullshit. Not all of them have storylines right now, Goto, Ishii, Sanada, Yoshi Hashi, these guys have no storylines going and Juice Robinson doesn't even have a gimmick.
>>
File: milky holmes.jpg (676KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
milky holmes.jpg
676KB, 1000x800px
According to Wikipedia
>Tomoyuki Oka is an avid anime fan, citing Milky Holmes as his favourite anime
Absolutely based. That's storyline enough for me.
>>
>>2922825

Aww. I like Striker though. Especially in LU.

But as far as the NJPW is concerned I am happy to see the english commentators being used for more than just diversity or a table to crash through. Like when Naito began to chase Don up the bleachers.
>>
>>2922154
>Because if not, what's the point in watching a fake sport?
Yeah.

Maybe you're right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_films
>>
>>2922916
He's still a young lion (rookie) so you won't be seeing him on the big stage for a few years still.
>>
>>2922383
>Is Vince going to come down, say he's disappointed at Roman because he never got over despite being handed everything and demote him to NXT? WWE uses their tenuous connection to PROGRESS to ship Roman there, where he joins British Strong Style, then he comes back and forms British Strong Style of America?
Both of those sound fucking awesome.

Unfortunately, the time to do that story was like two years ago. Now the dude's beaten HHH and Undertaker at Wrestlemania, so he's kayfabe pretty much the strongest guy in the company. The only way to do the story now would be to have him suffer a string of horrible losses for like a year straight starting with SummerSlam.
>>
>>2922333
>He's like a samurai in the Meiji Era of Japan; the feudal system is gone, modern soldiers have firearms, and there is no place for him, but he is determined to go out on his feet.
Man, Rurouni Kenshin was great.
>>
File: 1492795996875.png (666KB, 945x610px) Image search: [Google]
1492795996875.png
666KB, 945x610px
>>2922335
>Knowing basic world history is cringe
cringe
>>
>>2922988
Oh shit, yeah. I didn't even realize that's where I was getting it from. Loved that show growing up.

Poor Sanosuke, broke a thousand fingers and never drew a dime.
>>
>>2923023
Sano was based. Don't fall for the title reign meme, just because someone isn't getting a mega push doesn't mean he didn't put up entertaining matches. Also a true bro.
>>
File: shishiovskenshin.jpg (239KB, 1424x801px) Image search: [Google]
shishiovskenshin.jpg
239KB, 1424x801px
>>2923023
>Kenshin never had a six star ma-
>>
>>2923040
Sanosuke vs Anje still my MOTY for that year

The vignettes in the middle of the match were weird though
>>
>>2922154
They try to act like a real sport but people there would kick out of being shot in the face point blank which kills the immersion and really takes you out of it.
>>
>>2923053

The live action movies were pretty good too just by virtue of ending it where it should have fucking stopped.

I've already forgotten the name of the endgame boss
>>
>>2923102
I dunno what the anime did but the last arc of the manga was pretty fucking good and wrapped everything up nicely.
>>
>>2923063
They'd kick out of being shot in the face because they're real men, and shooting someone like Makabe would just piss him off.
>>
>>2922471
on the bright side the Young Bucks haven't been on one G1 show yet
>>
>>2923335
That's always good. Their matches are sometimes impressive the shit they can pull off, but they take the memelord shit too far for me not to just cringe.
>>
>>2923335
>>2923349
worked
>>
File: tamatonga.jpg (11KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
tamatonga.jpg
11KB, 225x300px
>>2922154
Based tama shooting at the press conference.
>>
>>2923349
I agree, they can pull off good matches when they give a shit, but most of the time they are just cringeworthy.
>>2923360
Have sex
>>
>>2923365
By far the cringiest part of G1.
>>
>>2922154
If you have followed NJPW for more than one month, yes.
>>
>>2923365
Why doesn't he look this cool anymore?
>>
>>2923403
shut up fag, tama rules.
>>
>>2922383
>People always make the Naito/Roman connection
Who? Where? This is the first I've seen it.
>>
>>2923437
t. tama tonga
>>
>>2922830

What do ya'll think was going through Kota and ZSJ's minds when he had his face all up in that lean british ass.
>>
>>2922913

I like his finisher name though.

>Pulp Friction

That shit is awesome
>>
>>2923445
Anyone who has even a cursory knowledge of Naito's arc put two and two together and made the connection already, friend.
>>
>>2923104

I dunno I liked the whole bit where everyone got to prove themselves by defeating the mid boss mooks and all before Kenshin had his 1v1. I also liked how they wrapped up Gein's arc as well and sort of explained why shit like what he did isn't seen today. There are individual parts to like in the last arc but as a whole it doesn't compare to Kyoto Inferno.

The anime realized that and never touched the whole bit following that. Only the movie Samurai X touched upon it and I don't even think that movie was canon. It caused a huge rift in the fanbase.

Regardless of all that though I'm totally willing to suck the cock of The Legend Ends because they gave us a prolonged fight that everyone had to take part in so they could take out Makoto.
>>
>>2922471
>>2922475

So wait. Is every day going to be televised and will it all be four hours each? I'm having fun don't get me wrong but there is a point where fatigue begins to settle in...
>>
>>2923349
From what I heard they aren't that over in Japan , at least not to the degree they are in the US. Some even see them as an inferior version of the Good Brothers
>>
>>2922845

What about shit like promos and speeches? I mean commentary I can get. Fine, I'll bite on that front as commentary isn't completely necessary but I hate feeling left out after the big match is through.
>>
>>2922154
We have this thread every single day yet you E drones seem to like being BTFO every time.

Yes there are actual storylines and characters if you actually bothered to research something before spewing garbage out of your mouth.
>>
>>2923012
Is Tonga intentionally aping Roman's look?
>>
>>2923198
Makabe and Ishii are two guys that I would not under any circumstance want to piss off.
>>
>>2923505
>Some even see them as an inferior version of the Good Brothers
No that's GoD. The Bucks are simply in the Jr. Tag Division so they are seen as inherently inferior to the Heavyweight tag teams, so to the japs all their posturing as the best tag team ever is ridiculous because if they're the best why are they in the Jr. Division?
>>
>>2923365
That promo was terrible, not to mention it completely went against the story they were trying to tell in his match with Omega.
>>
>>2923805
Ishii is a manlet
>>
>>2923518
That department is still lacking, their post-match press conferences/interviews/promos usually only get translations posted the day after or something.

>>2923498
That's the G1 for you, it's the busiest time of the year.
>>
>>2923815
Sure but he looks like you'd have better luck fighting a fucking boulder than fighting him.
>>
>>2923820
Don't be a mark, it's fake fighting. Punch him in real life and he'll go down like a bitch.
>>
>>2923832
I don't know man I wouldn't want to try it, I mean he doesn't even have a neck, he's built like that human designed to survive car crashes thing.
>>
>>2923739
Being brown with long hair?
>>
>>2923816

Oh so you can find shit like that? Anywhere you might be kind enough to send me?

And while we're on the subject I'm also suffering wrestling fatigue. I dunno if I can stick it out for four hours every day Jesus.
>>
>>2923877
I believe they put it up on NJPW's website.
>>
File: daryl fan.jpg (176KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
daryl fan.jpg
176KB, 1366x768px
>>2922154
There is a stuffed cat that got torn apart a few days ago, it was a pretty huge deal
>>
>>2922293

I just asked this question in another thread but I can probably get a better answer here: why DID the fans not want him to get the title shot? Was there someone else trying to compete that they felt better deserved the match?

...in hindsight was it the better alternative? Not his career, we know how that turned out, but the match they ended up with instead.
>>
>>2923877
For example this:
https://www.njpw1972.com/card_result/11339
Every wrestler after they leave the arena goes to press conference room where they say something. Not everyone talks, young lios for example never say anything and others also are not saying much.
But Naito for example always have something to say.
Translations are there usually 2 after I think, that's when I always catch it.
And of course you can follow chris charlton on twitter who will do short summations of any promo inside the ring after the match.
>>
>>2922371
I don't remember those animes from the 90's, they must be moeshit
>>
>>2923537
This is research dumb weeb, I'm trying to figure out if new Japan is worth my time or not.
>>
>>2922154
Go back to /a/ with your flippy shit indy manlets anime, ya fucking weeb
>>
>>2922176
is that why he let zsj in his army?
>>
>>2925596
ZSJ justified his joining Suzuki-gun by that he won't have to wrestle Taichi this way.
He hated wrestling him in NOAH.
>>
>>2923832
t. never had a fight in his life
>>
>>2922811
To be honest I think the problem was that he was working only with cruiserweights, and yeah I know what people say about a scrawny guy like ZSJ competing with the heavyweights but I really think that he's a lot better when he's working with someone bigger than him.
>>
>>2925514
Naito vs. Okada for the Heavyweight belt got outvoted by Nakamura vs. Tanahashi for the Intercontinental belt for the main event. Despite that being for a lesser title, it was just a better built match and, ultimately, people just cared about Nak and Tana a lot more than white meat Naito and still yet to prove himself Okada.
Thread posts: 145
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.