[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did you feel about the name change from WWF to WWE in 2002?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: 855 - get_the_f_out logo wwe.png (307KB, 848x635px) Image search: [Google]
855 - get_the_f_out logo wwe.png
307KB, 848x635px
How did you feel about the name change from WWF to WWE in 2002?

Obviously it was because a British wildlife charity objected to the use of the 'WWF' accronym and after years of court disputes Vince agreed to change the name to WWE. I remember being annoyed by it because I much preferred 'WWF' over 'WWE', though I still semi-followed wrestling for a year or two afterwards.

In retrospect the name change makes sense symbolically because the new national wrestling landscape had moved on from the end of the Monday Night Wars and the resulting product was neither WWF, WCW, nor ECW - so the new name represented a different company.
>>
It was the beginning of the decline
>>
I liked it because of the "get the f out" tagline.
>>
File: WrestleManiaX-Seven1.jpg (108KB, 340x470px) Image search: [Google]
WrestleManiaX-Seven1.jpg
108KB, 340x470px
>>2821140
>It was the beginning of the decline

22+

Austin turning heel and Dwayne leaving to make a movie was the beginning of the end
>>
I always sympathised with WWE until I learnt that they made a deal with the WWFN and constantly violated it and basically spit in their faces so I have zero sympathy for Vince now. It's completely their own fault.
>>
>>2821130
>How did you feel about the name change from WWF to WWE in 2002?
Like suplexing a panda.
I still feel like suplexing a panda, but less because of the name change and more because it seems like a fun thing to do.
>>
Most people here werent even born yet
>>
Still hate it. It will always be WWF in my heart.
>>
Blame Vince for thinking he could get away with ignoring a court settlement

>>2821182
This guy knows what's up
>>
I wasn't annoyed till all the censored mentions of WWF started happening.
>>
>>2821263
>It will always be WWF in my heart.
Not anymore though. The current shit should not be associated with WWF.

WWWF was as far from WWF as the WWE is from WWF. Understand?
>>
>>2821182
Based vince working the animal loving fags
>>
>>2821353
>worked himself into changing his company's name
>>
>>2821140

This
>>
I understand why it happened, but I found it annoying that they only just recently got away from the AE-style logo.

They held onto it for too long.
>>
>>2821180
>one year earlier
...okay
>>2821130
>British
They're Swiss I believe
>>
File: flat,900x900,070,f.jpg (63KB, 1008x419px) Image search: [Google]
flat,900x900,070,f.jpg
63KB, 1008x419px
>>2821130
Meh.
>>
>>2821196
I bet you're a hit on reddit.
>>
File: 1495576976195.jpg (27KB, 295x362px) Image search: [Google]
1495576976195.jpg
27KB, 295x362px
>>2821196
Go back
>>
>>2821196
You have to go back
>>
>>2821196
These people aren't wrong
>>2822028
>>2822035
>>2822002
You do have to go back.
>>
File: 1467754042315.jpg (60KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
1467754042315.jpg
60KB, 500x492px
>>2821196
>>
File: skřítek trpí bolestmi.png (59KB, 256x200px) Image search: [Google]
skřítek trpí bolestmi.png
59KB, 256x200px
>>2821196
holy fucking how can someone be so Reddit
>>
>>2821130
It was dumb as fuck, but it makes sense now considering Vince killed his shit company years ago. WWE is a walking corpse, just like modern day Simpsons
>>
>>2821130
I still call it WWF
>>
>>2824724
I used to too, but that's just insulting the memory of the WWF now
>>
>>2824724
My friends still call it the WWF cause they haven't watched since then.
>>
>>2821196
Holy fucking crin--JUST GO BACK
>>
>>2821180
shut the fuck up
>>
>>2821313
This. WWF and WWE are different companies. Cena was never WWF champion and Stone Cold was never WWE champion

They should never have hung on to the bastardised scratch logo for so long, it just reminded WWF fans that WWF was dead. They should have completely re-branded
>>
>>2825356

It's like Vince knew how much business would suffer from the name change, so he ensured that the new logo in 2002 would look as "similar" to the WWF scratch logo as possible in order to retain some semblance of a superior era.

Also I agree, they are different companies which is why in the OP I said the WWE was neither the WWF or WCW or ECW despite holding the rights and (most) contracts of all three, it was instead an abortion of a company that was seemingly glad to leave the high quality product of the late 90s behind it.
>>
>>2825487
>le name change is why the WWE drove off millions of consumers

It's not
>>
>>2825492

Awful paraphrase attempt. It was already obvious in 1999/2000 that ratings reached a peak and were beginning to come down for both Raw and Nitro, the name change simply didn't help - from the aggressive WWF sound to the infantile WWE.
>>
>>2825514
If you think A FUCKING LETTER is even a factor in why the WWF had already been losing consumers en masse over ½-a-year before the name change you're either dumb or deluded.
>>
>>2825545
You're honestly not wrong, the abortion angle turn a lot of people off of the product for a while. Vince literally had no choice but to bring in the nWo just cause how bad business was prior.
>>
>>2825577
kek turned
>>
WWE/WWF are bad names anyway, too hard and dumb to say especially if you're cutting a promo infront of thousands. You can say DUBYA DUBYA and sound like a retard unless you're Stone Cold.
>>
I think I was in 5th grade or so at the time. I hated it then and now I'm still not really a huge fan of it.
>>
>>2825719
Also "The World Wrestling Federation" makes more sense than "The World Wrestling Entertainment". It's just silly.
>>
>>2821196
Can confirm. Am a panda and had people threatening to suplex me all the time.

... I'm not really a panda guys, before anyone starts asking how a panda can type.
>>
>>2821130
I wasn't watching then, but WWE sounds better. Although I'm sure people who watched then will say that WWF sounds better.
>>
>>2821182
t. dog fucker
>>
>>2826282
You couldn't be more wrong. WWF flows off the tongue. Way more masculine than dubble-hugh-double-hugh-heee
>>
>>2825596
>WWE/WWF are bad names

At least with WWF, you can say something to the effect of "I'm the World Wrestling Federation champion" when cutting a promo. You can't exactly get away with saying "World Wrestling Entertainment champion". Because it sounds so fake. So you're forced to use WWE.
>>
>>2825545

You STILL think I said what you paraphrased, and you're now thinking that I said the name change was why it had "already been losing consumers". Try learning how to read my friend.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.