[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>People (hacks like Cornette) say you can only main event

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: wrestlemania x7 rock austin.jpg (56KB, 513x389px) Image search: [Google]
wrestlemania x7 rock austin.jpg
56KB, 513x389px
>People (hacks like Cornette) say you can only main event big Pay Per Views with the heel-face dynamic

Who was the heel and who was the babyface going into Wrestlemania X7?
>>
Both went in as tweeners - Austin left the heel.

Cornette is just an idiot who never ran a successful promotion in his life
>>
>>2818273
Both
>>
yeah two of the biggest stars of all time have no issue main eventing Mania as babyfaces

but 99% of the time wrestling is better with a heel/face dynamic
>>
>>2818271
YOU THINK YOU'RE SPECIAL
>>
Exceptions are not the norm. I mean, theae guys are the biggest stars at that time of course it will draw.
>>
While I agree with OP, what >>2818548 says is also accurate.

Isn't there any other less biased example?, anything that doesn't has Austin, 1999+ Rock or Hogan?
>>
>>2818286
YOU DO
>>
>>2818271
>>Who was the heel and who was the babyface going into Wrestlemania X7?
>Austin wins Rumble to huge face pop.
>Vince makes Debra the Rock's manager. Which is a heel move on behalf of the Rock.
>Rock cuts promos telling Austin he doesn't care about Debra's safety. Heel move.
>Austin tells Rock not to let her get hurt. Face move.
>Rock fails to stop Angle hurting Debra. Heel move.
>Austin lives up to his promise by attacking Rock. Tweenish-Face move.
>Rock retaliates. Heel move.

Rock was the heel, Stone Cold was the face.

Simple.
>>
>>2819066
imagine how much better things would be if the rock turned heel and came back as hollywood rock in 2001
>>
>>2818593
I CAN SEE IT IN YOUR EYES
>>
File: ROCK-VS-AUSTIN[1].jpg (80KB, 670x409px) Image search: [Google]
ROCK-VS-AUSTIN[1].jpg
80KB, 670x409px
>Babby answer
They were both babyfaces, duh!

>Patrician answer
Austin didn't turn at Mania - he was a heel all along since his comeback, but the fans simply didn't notice. You weren't supposed to notice, that was the whole TVEEST. But the signs were there all along, hidden in plain view.

>updated theme music
>more intense than ever before, inside and out of the ring
>used heelish tactics in matches
>started beating people up preemptively all the time (much more than in 98-99)
>broke the peace with Rock first in the leadup because >muh Debra, even though Rock didn't do anything to her and even tried to protect her
>"I need to beat you, Rock. I need it more than anything you can imagine." - What did he mean by this?

We just didn't notice because at first the intensity was directed in his hunt for the culprit, then he finished up the Triple H rivalry. And didn't notice it at first in the match because the Texas crowd gave him extra camouflage.

And then the match itself:
>Came out first (I know this is 'normal' for the challenger, but for Austin it wasn't, ever since he became #1 in 98 he always came out second, champ or challenger)
>Heyman (the heel commentator) was bigging him up more than Rock throughout the match
>Cheapshotted Rock to start the match
We know the rest.

This is honestly the GOAT booking by Vince McMahon. Pure kino. The previous year's Mania finish was already an ebin master troll. First ever heel victory. It's like Vince thought to himself, "Now how can I top that this year?". And he did it. The Evil Genius. The Absolute Madman.

>>2818271
>>People (hacks like Cornette) say you can only main event big Pay Per Views with the heel-face dynamic

Dumb. Here are some face vs face examples
- Hogan-Warrior, Mania 6
- Bret-Bulldog, Summerslam 92 (yes the crowd was obv biased but Bret wasn't a heel)
- Bret-Shawn, Mania 12 (ignore the dead crowd, that is work-wise WWE's only 6* match)
- Nakamura-Tanahashi, G1 Climax 2015

>Heel vs heel
- Bret-Shawn, SS 97
>>
>>2819235
I CAN SEE IT WHEN YOU LAUGH AT ME
>>
Cornette has literally never said that.
He says characters with more clearly defined characters are better at getting over, and find it easier to put on good matches - they are not confused in them selves as to what they should be doing when calling the match.

He says booking and calling a heel v heel match is tricky, because you have to navigate through neither guy babyfacing - or losing the fans because they mistakenly believe they are seeing a face turn.

Cornette in fact calls on the face v face booking himself every now and then. It creates a different dynamic, which is resolved with a handshake at the end of the match and the loser raising the victor's hand. Simple.
>>
>>2819270
>- Bret-Shawn, Mania 12 (ignore the dead crowd, that is work-wise WWE's only 6* match)
My man.
>>
>>2819274
LOOK DOWN ON ME
>>
>>2819270
>- Bret-Shawn, Mania 12 (ignore the dead crowd, that is work-wise WWE's only 6* match
If it actually was, it would have woken up said dead crowd. Defeating the entire purpose of an iron match was also dumb as fuck. The only claim to 6* match that WWE has is Austin vs Hart.
>>
>>2819320
We'll I've certainly heard it as a criticism about TNA
>>
Cringe factories like Cornette should always be disregarded
>>
>>2819492
What about Punk vs Cena?
>>
>>2819456
YOU WALK AROUND ON ME
>>
>>2818271
Rock was booked as the heel although he got face reactions and didn't really do many heel things
>>
YO BIG UPS

BIG UPS

TO MY BOYS LIMP BIZKIT
>>
>>2820904

It is overrated as it is.
>>
File: genius.png (630KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
genius.png
630KB, 640x720px
>tfw Brian Gewirtz (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0315383/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1) was the one behind all of this and by 2009 he was only writing on Superstars

fuck WWE
>>
>>2819270
The heel turn would have worked if Wrestlemania was in Miami instead of Texas.
>>
>>2820918
JUST ONE
>>
>>2819270
Nigga it's wrestling not fucking breaking bad or some shit, lmao. It's never been this deep
>>
>>2820904
Overrated shit.
>>2820923
I love Heyman.
>>
>>2820982
No, still would have failed.
>>
>>2819270
Fucking cringe
>>
File: 1491958127713.png (665KB, 708x490px) Image search: [Google]
1491958127713.png
665KB, 708x490px
>>2819270
You're absolutely correct that Austin's booking was incredibly subtle and well done, so much so that it triggers some into a seething frenzy (like >>2821663 and >>2821690 for instance) that a wrestling storyline actually went over their pinheads. It's just as shame that this amount of effort was applied to such a fucking stupid idea to begin with.
>>
>>2820935
No he was head writer of RAW until 2012
>>
>>2821657
MORE FIGHT
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.