[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you watch NJPW if you can't understand Japanese?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: 1471691100176.jpg (341KB, 845x709px) Image search: [Google]
1471691100176.jpg
341KB, 845x709px
How do you watch NJPW if you can't understand Japanese?
I tried but I have no idea what storylines are going on nor can I understand most promos.
>>
>NJPW
>promos

The only time I've ever seen an in-ring promo during a New Japan show were post-match ones after main events
>>
File: IMG_0328.png (13KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0328.png
13KB, 657x527px
>tfw to intelligent to learn Nipponese
>>
>>2736112
Because there aren't really storylines. It's more like a fictional show about a sports show. Just wrestlers wrestling to get to the top. Feuds are just a guy not liking another guy so they have matches.
>>
Just watch what is happening. Jesus. WWE babbies cannot even watch sport on tv anymore without Michael Cole telling them how to feel. Pathetic.
>>
>>2736130
This
>>
>>2736126
Naito's character and entire group is nothing like that though, he believes everything already belongs to him and everything will eventually find it's way back to him. He currently has a grudge against the belt he holds.

He has a belt that headlined over the HW title in their wrestlemania while he was going for the HW title snubbing him from his main event so he's bitter and chosen not to give fucks about almost anything, but he does hold a grudge against the belt. His current gimmick is "lets see if anyone can take this belt I hate away from me before I destroy it?" It's gotten to the point where he's declared that whether he wins or loses his next match that'll be the last of the IC title. Tanahashi is trying to save it to protect the company's honour.

You don't even need promos for this, just watch post match stuff or highlights and the matches because they tell it in that way. Though there are translated promos online. The only person you really wont understand without seeing their promos is Hiromu. Suzuki is a mean motherfucker who only cares about beating the fuck out of people, his promos as good as they are reflect that but you don't need his promos to see it.
>>
>>2736130
WWE forces feed what is happening to the audience because it's for children. The screen flashes THIS IS HAPPENING as the two wrestlers clearly demonstrate THIS IS HAPPENING in over the top fashion as Michael Cole screams THIS IS HAPPENING
>>
>>2736112
>I tried but I have no idea what storylines are going on nor can I understand most promos.

Are we talking about NJPW or WWE?
>>
>>2736112
start form Wrestle Kingdom 12 thats when okada came back to njpw and started he's push you can also go back to WK11 where tanahashi officially become the ace of New Japan(naito also started to wrestle in single matches back then )
>>
>>2736170
sorry ment to say WK 6 and 7
>>
File: 1496803103643.jpg (65KB, 630x427px) Image search: [Google]
1496803103643.jpg
65KB, 630x427px
>>2736170
>>2736171
>listening to some weeb who tells you to waste hours of your life watching this garbage
>>
>>2736157
Depends on what language you can understand.
>>
File: 1484989634490.png (168KB, 271x370px) Image search: [Google]
1484989634490.png
168KB, 271x370px
>>2736130
>>2736155

>I wanna get into this promotion, but it's difficult for me because it's in a foreign language
>REEEEEEEEEEE GET OUT E DRONES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEE

This is why no one likes weebs
>>
>>2736196
I actually don't watch any wrestling. I used to watch WWE and can't anymore because it's so horrendous. I certainly don't watch that New Japan shit.
>>
>>2736112
What don't you understand? All wrestling promotions (with rare exceptions like LU or Chikara) have the same storylines: the guys wrestling don't like each other and/or are trying to prove they're the best. WWE just add on a lot of CRINGE inducing fluff because of their writers and Vince.
>>
No storylines, no promos. Watch it for the wrestling. Anyone who yells, "DON'T COME TO WWE THEY WILL RUIN YOU" is retarded because 99% of these guys barely have a character.
>>
>>2736112
>watching jap shit

Yeah why are you even trying you aren't japanese
>>
>>2736196
The weebs are proud they have more than enough free time to learn jap speak to understand their anime and wrestling instead of being productive.
>>
>>2736225
WWE strips down their moveset, has them recite horrible promos, and generally waters down about everything that made them over somewhere else.
>>
>>2736126
Makes me think why are shills claiming that NJPW has better storylines than WWE
>>
>>2736173
No, it really doesn't...
>>
>>2736244
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y82ElzYuMaY
I recommend you watch this breakdown of the feud between Okada and Tanahashi, from it you can see yourself that storytelling in NJPW is done through subtle details in moveset changes and what a wrestler does before they wrestle
>>
>>2736112
There are a couple of videos online that will explain what the hell youre looking at storyline wise. Look up RealNeatPuro and Showbuckle on YouTube. They have English explanations of some of New Japans storylines. Most of the storylines are told 100% in the ring though. It's a much different kind of storytelling.
>>
>>2736244
Dude, fucking Barney & Friends has better storylines than WWmeme.
>>
File: 1496816874037.jpg (25KB, 301x267px) Image search: [Google]
1496816874037.jpg
25KB, 301x267px
>>2736272
/thread
>>
>>2736196
>visiting a chinese animu board and then complaining about weebs
what did you expect
>>
>>2736112
>>2736126
There are storylines if you understood actual pro wrestling storytelling and don't just expect everything flat out told to you like WWE has conditioned you to expect.
>>
>>2736196
just stick to sprout, nick jr, and wwe, kid.
>>
You just need to know there are some stables and every wrestler is associated to one. And they love to do 6 man tag team matches
>>
>>2736126
God how could anybody stomach such boring tripe? Where's the entertainment?
>>
>>2736112
there are no storylines, hell there isn't even any ring psychology it's just move after move until both guys gas and botch a dangerous move on each other.
>>
Stop doing the "NJPW is far better than WWE because it's the cool thing to do nowadays" thing. Literally 80% of the NJPW shows are garbage and unwatchable even if you don't care about the language. Random good matches once in a while don't make it good.
>>
ITT:EOPs
>>
>>2736126
>>2736225
>>2736244
>>2736579
you E drones have never watched a single second of GOAT Japan
>>
>>2736244
Honest question. Tell me a storyline happening in WWE right now. Must have a clear beginning middle and (foreseeable )end.
>>
>>2736172
>>2736196
>Whining about weebs on 4chan
>>
>>2737095
The Titus Brand helping Apollo Crews get over is pretty much the only reason I tune into RAW now. Although this weird Kurt Angle text message thing and Enzo and Cass getting BTFO backstage has me interested as well.
>>
>>2736130
Michael Cole is a walking violation of the storytelling rule, "show, don't tell."

Which is maddening when he gets the names of half the moves wrong.
>>
>>2736112
I actually find it hilarious.

The best parts are when they have to say things that don't have a translation. I remember watching old Danile Bryan matches on lunch and hearing, "hdjsoiandjchsksbfudnwbfhdi CATTLE MUTILATION!!! hshjdjbebajkcovhw!" Damn near made me spit out my food every time.
>>
>>2736225
>Watch it for the wrestling
See that's the problem, I grew up with the AE and early WCW. Gimmicks and storylines played a huge role despite the matches themselves not being very good.

The Rock vs Austin would have little impact if I didn't understand their character or promos. You need a mic to learn more about their gimmick. I'm not in the minority here either most normal wrestling fans loved the AE gimmicks and storylines. It's fake fighting at the end of the day abit of soap drama on it goes a long way.
>>
>>2736112
OP here, I didn't mention WWE because this is about NJPW, not sure why everyone got defensive and compared the two.
>>
>>2737095
Hey, they are making a stories in WWE that are making sense from storytelling pespective.

For example >>2737131 mentioned Titus Brand. That and Noam Dar + Alicia Fox are the best stories right now. They have clearly designed actors in them, they have clearly defined flows.
I am waiting for them to make the same thing with R-Truth v Goldust, there were only promos so far.

And on the SmackDown, it's Fashion Files. And I think Rusev will have good storyline, if it is heading the direction I think it is heading.

But the diference between NJPW and WWE stories are the majority of NJPW story is told in the ring during the match, by selling, by moves, by the whole "psychology" of the match. In WWE it is told by someone telling you something, by skits in the back and only some of it by the wrestling itself.
And the WORST thing in WWE are commentators. They are supposed to be storytelling tools, that help it along, but instead they are actively making some stories worse.
>>
>>2737212
Go watch the video from >>2736265

It is awesome and it shows how NJPW builds and tells stories.
>>
>>2737202
You could try actually watching something before forming your opinion

>>2736225
>because 99% of these guys barely have a character.

As opposed to all those dynamic personalities in WWE like Reigns, Orton & Mahal?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.