[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /asp/ apologies if I smell of newfag I don't frequent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: aik.jpg (127KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
aik.jpg
127KB, 1024x681px
Hey /asp/ apologies if I smell of newfag I don't frequent this board. I've been wanting to start training a martial art for quite some time but I've been making some bullshit excuses not to start. Well this time i'm wanting to make it a reality. I learned that there are Aikido classes near me and it caught my attention. Could someone redpIll me on the viability of aikido in self defense and what should I expect? My plan is to take both Aikido and Krav maga classes.

i'm a midget and the typical 4chan user in terms of my body which is why MMA, Boxing etc and such don't a seem very good choice for me.
>>
aikido is not viable as a self defense
>>
>>2609267
>Aikido
zero
>krav maga
kek
>>
>>2609299
>>2609312
I mean that answers my question but why? The classes near me also include weapon training and disarming which sounds useful for me since in Bongistan most niggers run around with knives. If someone pulls out a gun you were fucked anyway
>>
>>2609337
aikido can work in self defense situations, at least unarmed. aikido disarm however tend to be

1.based on traditional Japanese weaponry
2. not very practical even in that venue.
>>
>>2609374
I guess the likelihood of a somali armed with a katana and wakizashi are small. Still gonna try out Aikido since it can't do any harm but what martial art would be best suited for a street fight if i was smaller than my assailant/s? Playing to my strengths i'd say footwork would be important
>>
>>2609267
What's ya height?
>>
>>2609267
where do you live?
I'm in the uk and a qualified instructor of close quarter combat and I'm trained in krav and kapap as well as british military martial arts.
>>
>>2609337
>knives
Don't even think about try to disarm someone with a knife. Been doing Aikido for a decade now, and I still would rather run.

That said Aikido can be practical as self defense, but I do recommend you take up another martial art alongside it, one which includes full contact sparring, be it striking or grappling. Don't let your stature discourage you - you'll get a lot more fit and strong from training.
>>
>>2609393
175cm
>>2609397
Edinburgh
>>2609400
Any recommendation? I'd prefer striking since I don't want to wrestle with someone who is twice my weight
>>
>>2609457
Boxing, full contact karate styles, kickboxing and Muay Thai (they often overlap nowadays) are more or less the usual suspects.

Also, 1m75 may be slightly below average, it's nowhere near midget tier.
>>
The problem with Aikido is that there is no sparring. Sparring is NECESSARY to be efficient at a martial art.
>>
>>2609337
Because in aikido you do choreographed routines.

>grab here, no higher on the wrist, okay ill swing in slowly.
You will learn technique but have no idea what to do in a real life situation.

Like the great Mike Tyson said "everybody has a plan until you get punched in the face" Or in your case, a pipe to the face
>>
>>2609391
>but what martial art would be best suited for a street fight if i was smaller than my assailant/s? Playing to my strengths i'd say footwork would be important
MMA. Just don't go to the ground if the opponent has friends near by.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.