[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If he's supposedly the GOAT, why does he only have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

File: aj-styles-1487231163-800.jpg (31KB, 800x412px) Image search: [Google]
aj-styles-1487231163-800.jpg
31KB, 800x412px
If he's supposedly the GOAT, why does he only have one 5 star match?
>>
he ranges from 4-5 stars and everything in-between, whilst others have 2-5
just by that statistic he has had more quality than just a couple great and the rest mediocre matches. he truly is the GOAT of professional wrestling and the sport will die a bit when he retires
>>
Quality of opponent.
Quality of story.
Quality of crowd.

5 star ratings are for MATCHES, not individual wrestlers. AJ can only drag the rating up on his own so far.

The only 5 star match in the last very long time for WWE, Punk vs. Cena, was not a workrate classic, Cena has had better matches than that one and he's had better matches than that with AJ Styles, but the story at MitB was great, the crowd was incredible and you would've thought the story and stip telegraphed the finished, but they the finish was great and surprising in a way that was very true to the characters involved.

Having said that, I think he coulda gone 5 on AJ/Cena RR.
>>
>>2586819
>By that logic i guess everyones favorite wrassler should be Samoa Joey
I'd be fine with that.
>>
>>2586783
Cuck Meltzer isn't the ultimate fucking authority in wrestling
>>
>>2586825
Summerslam was better than the RR match.
>>
File: Kaz-Okada.jpg (186KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Kaz-Okada.jpg
186KB, 500x333px
>this gook averages a 5 star match every month
>aj is feuding with baron corbin

the state of vince's toybox
>>
>>2586831
At the time I remember thinking SS was better but after having some time to think about it I started to feel like RR was better.

I'd have to watch them both again. I think SummerSlam's just gonna feel special because AJ finally got that clean win.
>>
meltzer only gives 5 star to njpw he is an idiot that doesn't know anything
>>
Hi Kenny!
>>
>>2586833
Styles made 2.4 mil last year
>>
>>2586825
>The only 5 star match in the last very long time for WWE, Punk vs. Cena
>Cena has had better matches than that one

What's with this attitude? I honestly think it's retarded.
>>
>>2586936
He's put on more impressive in-ring showings since then. I don't think he's been in a story that worked quite that well since then.
>>
>>2586783
honestly don't have an argument for this one, he deserved quite a few in Japan
>>
>>2586969

That was blatant contradiction. So he didn't have better matches than one? I'd give that match 4 stars myself. Cena's had many better performances and matches.

How did he put on more impressive ring showings? Better execution of moves? Did the crowd and angle elevate the match to that extent? Or are you dismissing character work as in-ring work?
>>
>one 5 star match
>vs John Cena
>vs John Cena again
>vs Shinsuke Nakamura
>vs Kazuchika Okada
>vs Kota Ibushi
>vs Samoa Joe and Christopher Daniels
???
>>
You star rating obsessed jackasses have ruined all the fun of wrestling.
>>
>>2587000

It's just a shorthand to describe how much you liked a match.
>>
>>2586994
>no vs daniels ironman
fake aj fan confirmed
>>
>>2587017
i liked Suzuki v styles.

think that's when the nips started to cheer him
>>
>>2587000
Wrestling has now become "string together a bunch of moves to get a perfect score", so no wonder video game playing Kringe Omega is obsessed with his star-ratings.
>>
>>2587008
Ideally, yes it would just be a guide for fans, but in reality, it has completely changed how guys work. It's not secret that many of the boys are eager to see their ratings from Meltzer. He has changed wrestling far more than people realize.
>>
>>2587044
>Also reminder that Meltz never gave 5 stars to Taker vs HBK
" Shawn Michaels (Michael Hickenbottom) pinned Undertaker (Mark Calaway) in the Hell in the Cell cage match in 29:59. An absolute classic must-see match, probably *****" - WOR, October 13, 1997
>>
>>2586783
>Meltzer is the only authority on wrestling

kek
>>
>>2587037

I was talking about in general. I personally don't give a shit about Dave's ratings, but you may be overstating it a bit. Even Bret was proud to see a high rating for a match of his back in the day, but his style is completely counter to Dave's preference for the go go go style and high spots. The guy thinks Edge was a better main eventer than Cena, which is as equally a trash opinion as thinking Edge was great.

I get your point, though. Wrestling's just a lot more self-conscious now and Dave's just a part of that.
>>
>>2586907
so did okada
>>
>>2586936
dave meltzer rated 5 star match. That doesn't mean he hasn't had better ones. I wouldn't even put it in Cena's top 5.
>>
>>2586852
This for fucks sake.

You're all basically taking the opinion of a tripfag as facts.
>>
>>2587054
>Has been in the business for 40 years
>Has watched more matches in a year than you have in your entire lifetime

You're right
>>
>>2588211
Dave has probably attended more wrestling shows than most of the Drones have ever watched.

>>2586852
>namefag
>moron

The last 5-star match of 2016 took place in LA
>>
>>2586825
RR vs Cena was a finisher spam. PWG Cena doesn't really do it for me anymore, better than Orton though
>>
>>2588211
>in the business
He's a pundit
>>
I was just recalling Naomi vs Charlotte and now my dick is super hard.
>>
>>2586783
He's had at least two in the past year. They don't get mentioned because Meltz can only cum when random asian people are wailing in the background.
>>
>>2586831
I actually just rewatched the RR match and you're wrong. People turn their noses up at it because of the false finishes, but the story in that match was flawless. The "story" had Cena going for his 16th title, but everything that came in his body language and moveset said that he'd rather beat AJ than tie Flair.

That was the sort of match that false finishes were made for, not one that used them as a crutch.
>>
>>2588286
>said that he'd rather beat AJ than tie Flair.

What's the difference?

>>2588280
Explains why he gave more snowflakes to JCP/WCW than WWF.
>>
>>2588298
If it's so simple you'll have no trouble explaining then, will you?
>>
>>2588324
And if he really didn't care about the title why didn't he ask for it to be a non-title match? ;^)

>Wreck

gtfo
>>
>>2588327
Not him but while good job on getting one on the hook, this is some weak bait.
>>
http://www.profightdb.com/wrestler-star-ratings/kazuchika-okada-4866.html

Wow, I never realized how many shit-tier/mediocre matches Okada has been involved in.

>vs Fat Fuck Fail

Average of 2.9 stars over five matches, singles and tags. Can you hear that? It's a train wreck coming.

http://www.profightdb.com/wrestler-star-ratings/aj-styles-752.html

AJ's for reference. Interesting that his average rating his higher during his E run than in New Japan. More interesting that his NJ average is higher than Okada's
>>
For starters, there are likely zero people who consider AJ to be the GOAT. Anyone who has him in their top 5 would most likely have HBK as their #1
>>
>>2588263
Okada made 2 mill except he did so without working anywhere close to as many dates, phoning it in except for once every 3 weeks, kept 100% of his merch money and had his travel completely paid for.

Okada made more money than anyone below AJ did in the E' last year.
>>
>>2586994
>2 (two) Cena kick out fest matches
>0 (zero) mentions of aj vs suzuki
>>
>>2588403
Some gook who out earns both jasethy and deanetty and everyone below them on the powerlevel totem pole.
>>
>>2588386
>Anyone who has him in their top 5 would most likely have HBK as their #1

That's fucked up, man.
>>
>>2586829

Fucking this.

Also, you can only carry so much
>>
No one thinks he's the GOAT lol, you can't be in that conversation if you lower yourself to WWMeme standards.

NJPW AJ would be top 3 definitely though.
>>
File: 51aa0b4fdbmitsuharumisawa.jpg (57KB, 600x797px) Image search: [Google]
51aa0b4fdbmitsuharumisawa.jpg
57KB, 600x797px
>>2586783

The true goat...
>>
>>2587037
It's especially terrible in outlel wrestling with fucks like the young cucks.
>>
File: Raw002.jpg (47KB, 520x355px) Image search: [Google]
Raw002.jpg
47KB, 520x355px
>>2588615

Here's your (YOU) E Drone
>>
File: RX4JmICs5dzva.gif (2MB, 245x175px) Image search: [Google]
RX4JmICs5dzva.gif
2MB, 245x175px
>>2588559
>NJPW AJ would be top 3 definitely though.
>>
I unironically think Cena is the GOAT if you consider every aspect (like mass appeal and such).
>>
>>2588211
>literally wrong all the fucking time
>>
>>2588624
Well of course he is.

You gotta be autistic to think otherwise.
>>
>>2588411
>bragging that NJPW's top guy earns more than WWE's midcarders
Really made me think
>>
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0204/622921/kazuchika-okada-njpw-contract-last-year-was-for-22-million/

Okada apparently makes about 1/10th of NJPW's entire annual revenue. If an E guy had the same deal he'd have made about $73,000,000.00
>>
>>2588885
NJPW is a smaller promotion than WWE, ya pinhead
>>
I can't be the only one who wants to see Ric Flair win another world champion. Either will do, but I would prefer he won the Universal Championship.
>>
>>2586833
Corbin is a bigger draw than anybody in Japan
>>
>>2588885
Yet AJ makes more than Okada in his first year in WWE.
>>
>>2589207
kys E DRONE
>>
File: maxresdefault-3.jpg (200KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-3.jpg
200KB, 1280x720px
>>2589207
kek
>>
Imagine.being this idiot, AJ in my book had more than 4 ***** stars matches but even in WON standard he had 2 5 stars matches... what the fuck are you talking about OP??
>>
>Shilling for Meltz
BMAJ doesn't need 5 stars he has FARMERS STRENGTH which automatically makes him P1
>>
>>2589207
Couldn't even draw enough to make it past a Wrestlemania pre-show
>>
>>2591339
>worked number vs. paid number
>implying Corbin filled even 1 seat
>>
>>2591363
>(p-p-PACKED)

Say it again Corbin cuck it'll totally make you feel better THIS time!
>>
File: dv334.jpg (7KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
dv334.jpg
7KB, 272x185px
>>2591385
>Tokyo population: 37,832,892
>Wrestle Kingdom attendance: 26,000
>Orlando population: 270,934
>Wrestlemania 33 attendance: 75,000

Huh, really made me think
>>
>>2591517
>everybody at Wrestlemania is from Orlando

Didn't know Orlando had so many international smarks.

>took him 80 fucking minutes
>>
>>2591541
Not him,but that's even better,people all over around the world paying lots of money to travel and see Wrestlemania and the RAW after
And it happens every year
>>
>>2588211
>Glenn Beck is the only authority when it comes to government because he watches the news a lot.

Neck yourself smarky
>>
>>2591570
That undermines his own argument then, dumb-dumb.

>>2591562
fuck off cholo
>>
>>2591608
Hey don't get mad kiddo. See it's like this

WWE is able to draw people from all around the world to a little shithole like Orlando.

NJPW can't get people to go to their show in the biggest city in the world even if they only have to take 30 minute drive.

I'll let you think about it for a second.
If you won't get it right now, it will probably come to you when you grow up.
>>
>>2591638
I told you to fuck off Carter
>>
It's cause Dave would rather guys bash their heads and paralyze themselves than watch a guy whose only injured 3 people with one of the most dangerous finishers in the business. What's funny is he'll go on these 20 minutes rants condemning the dangerous spots but then give the match high praise. Idiots like Riccochet use these stars as a reason to kill themselves for pennies when they could be making millions in the E taking safer spots. The whole point of pro wrestling is to be able to do it for years and make a ton of money. Today's wrestlers are the biggest marks. The only people who benefit from this madness are the promoters.
>>2591666
You got BTFO here kiddo. This was really embarassing
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.