[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck was this skit so controversial? I just watched it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

Why the fuck was this skit so controversial? I just watched it and it's pretty mundane in terms of offensiveness
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
name another promo that involves a gun lmao
>>
You have to understand it in the context of when it happened, AE hadn't happened yet and WWE was still barely evolving from being a cartoony kids show. So to see something as...for lack of a better word, edgy as a guy threatening to shoot a rival was a shock to the system at the time.
>>
>>2407319
look up a wrestler named Dr D David Shultz
>>
SAY THAT TO MY FACE ONE MORE TIME MOTHERFUCKER I HAVE A GUN
>>
I don't know, it seems pretty eerily realistic to me. Pillman had great acting, felt like looking into a real home invasion or domestic violence situation. Little kids watching it probably cried because as >>2407371 mentioned, wrestling really wasn't that edgy at the time.
>>
>>2407319
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=613LUKcQnM0
>>
>>2407566
Then the night after Pillman dies they interview his widow in that same room and Vince asked if it was steroids. That shit was surreal.
>>
>>2407379
Kek Dr D was the man, I remember when he slapped the shit out of that reporter back when kayfabe was real.
>>
>>2407042
it was a pretty dark promo, even for today. Back then kayfabe still existed for kids/older people. Plus near the end you hear gunshots offscreen before ending the promo with Austin getting arrested (guess Pulman has bad aim)
>>
You know /asp/, looking at this skit reminded me of an interview Vince did with some mainstream outlet during the height of the AE era. Vince was responding to the ultra violence at the time mentioning "at least our performers dont go out and threaten others with guns or knives." Pretty unprecedented skit.
>>
>>2407760
They even put it on a t-shirt. WWF: No guns. No knives. Just chairs.
>>
I wish they recorded what happened when Pillman was shooting, did Austin just stop in his tracks and apologize to Pillman for stalking his family and wait for the cops to come arrest him?
>>
File: 1459843697557.png (296KB, 649x649px) Image search: [Google]
1459843697557.png
296KB, 649x649px
>no disqualification match
>no one ever stows a glock under the ring and shoots their opponent with it
>>
It is such a shame Pillman got horribly injured in that car wreak, then died of the drug overdose. He was waaaay ahead of his time. It would of been interesting to see him working at the height of the attitude era. Just think of all the talent he could of fucked with or all the angles he could of done with that loose cannon gimmick.
>>
>>2407799
Ric Flair did back in his NWA days
>>
>>2407803
Pillman might have even been able to keep Shawn Micheals ego in check and there would never have been DX which means we probably wouldnt have Shovelman fucking up everything currently.
>>
>>2407319
The Tim White suicide bits
>>
>>2407042
Stone cold 'kidnapping' vince
>>
>>2407856
I forgot about those. Me and my shithead highschool buddies thought they were hilarious.
>>
>>2407319
hector guerrero tried to put his miracle hair cream on jerry lawler's hair so jerry pulled a gun on him
https://youtu.be/V7aD0UllkVY

>but thats memphis for ya
>>
File: Rusev invading.jpg (75KB, 634x352px) Image search: [Google]
Rusev invading.jpg
75KB, 634x352px
>>2407042
>mundane gun

compared to fucking tank, Yeah.
>>
File: images (11).jpg (35KB, 480x306px) Image search: [Google]
images (11).jpg
35KB, 480x306px
>>2407042
Roman Reigns
>>
>>2408022

That wasn't as bad because it was clear that Austin's segment wasn't serious due to Austin's mic work and Vince's wacky facial expressions. Plus the crowd clearly went along with it knowing that Austin was just messing with Vince. Only JR was selling it kinda serious

Pillman's segment was different. He looked and sounded convincingly angry and ready to shoot Austin. Pillman's wife, Kevin Kelly and everyone else present, really sold the panic and the seriousness of the situation when Austin finally broke in the house. Not to mention Pillman aiming the gun right in Austin's direction with a crazed look on his face and his finger on the trigger.

I actually watched the Pillman segment as an 8 year old. I was freaked the fuck out.
>>
>>2407042
Based pillgod working austinetty into a literal shoot
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.