[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What made up the WCW aesthetic? Was it the production? The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

File: wcwnitro.png (338KB, 615x400px) Image search: [Google]
wcwnitro.png
338KB, 615x400px
What made up the WCW aesthetic?

Was it the production? The announcers? The Nitro Girls?

Every time I go back and watch WCW I am always reminded that there is another way to do pro wrestling than the WWE way that can be just as successful.
>>
lots and lots of money.
>>
File: oc finn meme.png (480KB, 789x332px)
oc finn meme.png
480KB, 789x332px
Another way? I don't know what WWE you've been watching the past 5 years but the one I've been watching bears a striking resemblance to WCW, right down to the 3 hour nitros and the big ol' logo by the entrance ramp
>>
I could never enjoy WcW, their storylines were dated, the top guys I wanted to see wrestle as a kid like Hogan, Macho, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash were only wrestling on a few ppv's a year and my family never ordered ppv. Even when I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about Goldberg I never saw him on tv. All they ever had was the luchadors and cruiser weight which I never cared about, even if they are better wrestlers the cruiserweight title has no prestige
>>
>>2386787
HD and smokeless arenas are ruining the aesthetic. Pro wrestling isn't supposed to look like this.
>>
>>2386829
Superficial similarities. The feel of an episode of Nitro was starkly different from a RAW today. It felt more like a public event that was being captured by live cameras rather than a slickly produced soap opera that the WWE is today. The manner of Tony Schiavone's announcing made it seem like they were watching the show along with the fans and just reacting and elaborating on the action rather than being there to tell the fans what to feel about a particular moment.
>>
>>2386855
There is actually a lot to be said about HD damaging wrestling.

When I was a kid watching Memphis wrestling on a 13" TV with snowy OTA video it didn't register to me how low-budget the production was. I filled it in with my imagination. Now you can watch most indies in HD and see that it's just a high school with a few fatties and old people in attendance.
>>
>>2386787
The hard lighting
>>
>>2386883
also ecw.
speaking of the lighting, wasnt the entire arena lit up? and raw is basically in the dark?
wcw definitely felt like a huge monster truck party in the arena
>>
It had a wild hard rock essence, like the attitude era wwf. You knew you were gonna watch some tough dudes bashing each other, not some comedic catfights
>>
I've been to a Smackdown house show back in 2006. It didn't have a televised show vibe but the aesthetics were still good, definitly above TNA and ROH. The arena was either sold out or close to being sold out, I'd imagine the vibes would be different if it was Seth Rollins in an empty arena
>>
>>2386829
You didn't watch WCW and just got all your bullshit from Cuckculture

Fuck off to reddit and turn 18
>>
>>2386862
Best post about Nitro I've seen in a while.
>>
It was really just kinda dirty, but with good production values. The arenas looked kind of seedy along with half the talent. The attendance was composed mainly of rasslin' fans that threw garbage and beer cans when they were pissed. It was like attitude era WWF with the lighting dimmed and more sneering from the heels. Half the faces were just as seedy as the heels, and sometimes they were separated by such a thin line that it was difficult to figure out which was which, and that encouraged the fans to simply pick their favorites. The obvious exception was mega face Goldberg, but Sting and DDP were fairly back-alley grimy, as was the Wolfpack when they split off, if you could call them faces.
>>
>>2387058
WcW always looked like a low budget production compared w/WWF. WWF always had the opening pyro in addition to entrances utilizing it more than WcW. Speaking of which, does anyone have that gif of Taker dousing himself in water like a madman after geting burned by pyro?
>>
>>2386829
>>2386853
confirmed for never watching wcw. 18+ cuckculture babbies
>>
>>2386855
Also the flashes from cameras
>>
For one thing, WCW really made it sound like a real fight or a sport, whereas WWE seems to try its hardest to separate itself from 'pro wrestling.'
>>
>>2386862

>It felt more like a public event that was being captured by live cameras rather than a slickly produced soap opera

It really does feel like that. Even today. Going back and watching an old match alone or an old documentary it still has that feel.
>>
>>2387108
>WcW always looked like a low budget production compared w/WWF

Go back and watch 1994-96 era WWF and compare it to WCW of the same time. WWF was running RAW in high school gyms and drawing less than 2,000 people. Might have even been less than 1000 for a couple of shows.
>>
>>2387227
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I52UmR01-Y0
>>
A big part of it was the exuberance of the 90s. People just felt good. Wrestling was on top of the world and when you were at a live televised wrestling event you felt like you were really "with it", you were seeing pop culture history in the making. It came through with everyone involved in the production too.

The hard lighting and fully visible crowd also differentiates it from WWE today.
>>
>>2387108
The most 18+ post in history

Nitro went overboard with the pyros. They had pyro for every beginning of every hour once kek
>>
>>2387334
Seriously nitro was like the fourth of july. It would start on stage then a shit load more above the ring
>>
>>2386855
And the laser pointers
>>
File: CUuRkPnWcAACtTN.png (359KB, 600x474px) Image search: [Google]
CUuRkPnWcAACtTN.png
359KB, 600x474px
>>2386787
Giant fake boobs. Like SCORE girl sized. The Nitro Girls were former strippers after all.
>>
>>2387212
"fireflies"
>>
>>2387227
>Made it feel like a real fight or sport

Yeah, 3 WWF Has-beens air guitaring around the ring and using their posse to gang rape anyone who stumbled through the curtains really struck that "real sport" feel.
>>
>>2387108
You mean when Kanes pyro went of while taker was summoning the arena lights from the steps?
>>
>>2386787
Nitro felt like you were watching a ball game, a NASCAR race, a concert, or an awards show. Or something mixed up of all three. It felt like a party that moved from city to city each week. But most of all because of the celebrity involvements and the numerous segments showing the wrestlers interacting with the fans it felt like it existed in the real world.

WWF on the other hand has always felt more like an alternate universe that is closed off from reality. Even in recent years when they have made repeated attempts to show the wrestlers interacting with the fans via charity events and live meet-ups. Or during the guest host era with a different celebrity every week. Somehow it never came across as genuine in the same way.
>>
>>2387436
>never watched WCW but has watched a million WWE network documentaries

Only the top of WCWs card was WWF has-Beens. The midcard was full of international talent most of which had never appeared in WWF.
>>
>>2387436
Somehow it did. When Hogan's music hit and he came out air guitaring it felt like anything could happen. In hindsight we all know about Hogan's creative control but the fans didn't know that at the time.

That's a big part of WCW too. You never knew who would show up week to week because of the way people jumped ship between ECW, WWF, and WCW.
>>
member Nitro parties? Do people even get together and watch pro wresting anymore?
>>
>>2387436
>Has-beens
>top of the card during the peak years of pro wrestling in North America
>>
>>2387477
>Literally says 3, anon assumes I meant the whole brand

WEW lad. Clearly you don't remember the NWO hijacking every segment, every night, every week.
>>
Anywhere to watch/download full seasons of Nitro?
>>
>>2387487
THIS ISN'T THE WARRIOR BROTHER, BUT IT IS AS CLOSE AS WE CAN POSSIBLY GET WITHOUT GETTING OUR FACES SUED OFF
>>
>Lots of top stars that they bought
>Hit on/milked one really good angle/faction
>>
>>2387512
They were definitely around far too much especially at the end, but everything from the commentary to the range of moves done in-ring felt more like a real sport than WWF. NWO didn't hijack every single segment like you're making it sound until the very end.
>>
>>2387517
WWE Network(and never hear real live audio)
or just pirate it from private trackers in amazing VHS quality
>>
>>2387031
>>2387175

First of all, I assume you are talking about whatculture, which I don't know anything about or care about, but apparently you do.

Secondly, I watched the so-called Monday Night Wars as they happened, but props to you for also being old enough to have seen them live - very cool of you, if true.

Just because someone makes a whatculture and/or reddit post about something does not invalidate it.

>>2386862

Weekly 3 hour shows when they don't have the capability for 2 halfway decent hours is hardly a superficial similarity.

Raw is not exactly the same as Nitro was, but I am noticing it getting more and more similar as time goes on.

The things that made me like the WWF in the 90s have disappeared. Meanwhile aspects of Nitro [mostly negative] are slowly becoming aspects of Raw.

>3 hour shows
>separate cruiserweight division
>too many commentators
>Goldberg being better than everyone
>Big names from the past hogging the spotlight
>Awkward live music performances that have no place on a wrestling show
>too many PPVs
>way too many worked shoots
>general full-of-shit style of presentation by the production team and writers
>meaningless midcard
>uninspired theme songs
>nonsensical storylines, especially those involving authority figures
>devalued championships

And the big logo by the entrance ramp to me is just symbolic of how WWE is becoming WCW
>>
>>2387572
>just because someone makes a whatculture and/or reddit post about something does not invalidate it

Holy shit 18+
>>
>>2387592
So if someone post on reddit 1 + 1 = 2 then it must be false, according to anyone who is 18 or older
>>
>>2387518
When was the last time WWE had a Warrior return like event? It was a complete surprise to viewers.

If WWE had done Goldberg's return the same way it would have been fire.
>>
>>2387517
Not the WWE Network. The crowd audio is intentionally muffled by the WWE because of Vince's ego. Compare the moment when Goldberg jackhammered The Giant from fan tape recordings to the network to see the stark difference.
>>
>>2387609
Now you're getting it. Also, work on your writing and grammar. 4chan doesn't have editing like leddit.
>>
>>2387614
only works if everybody is already watching you and you have a steady stream of people who you can ''return'' as a surprise. Nowadays they are running out of nostalgia acts and need the viewers so they advertise these guys
>>
>>2387572
re: cruiserweights on RAW

To me the first hour of Nitro felt more like what you current see with an episode of NXT. And the WCW Cruiserweight title was about as prestigious (and had as many great matches) as the NXT Championship.

If WWE could recapture that feeling the first of hour Nitro had when they moved to the 3 hour shows that would really help them.
>>
>>2387628
I think the equivalent event today would be CM Punk returning completely unexpectedly on the RAW after Wrestlemania. That would blow the roof off of the place and make headlines in real news sites.

Stone Cold coming back and challenging Goldberg at SummerSlam could possibly have the same effect.
>>
>>2387422
I love the late 90s hottie look. All of the spandex and black vinyl/leather pants. I believe it is objectively more boner inducing than current trends.
>>
>>2387625
>>2387625
Thanks for that advice and please accept my sincere apology for not putting quotes around "1 + 1 = 2", and neglecting to put an "s" after the word "post", in my last post. I hope it wasn't too hard for you to figure out what I meant.

While you are giving out such great advice, could you tell me - what is the proper age to claim to be [so people think I'm cool] when posting on 4chan? Past a certain age, it is uncool to still be on 4chan. But it is also uncool to not be old enough to remember the 90s. I'm thinking ages 25-29 are perfect, anyone else here is lame.
>>
>>2387739

*EDIT*
accidentally double clicked on
>>2387625

sorry!
>>
>>2387675
the womens shoes were out of control big an blocki with giant heels
>>
>>2386862
Half the time the announcers were just reacting and had no clue what was supposed to happen. They all complain about it now and act like that's why WCW crumbled, but that's why it worked. These fools couldn't act so that's how they got genuine reactions out of them.
>>
>>2386953
RAW went dark when people stop paying to see that crap. Now the bottom is full of employee plants and charity case autistics. They probably get like 5 thousand paying customers tops, which doesn't even cover the cost to use the venue.
>>
>>2387512
That was their gimmick moron. They were a competing promotion trying to kill WCW.
>>
>>2387794
>>
>>2387739
Fucking seething, son.
>>
>>2386862
Best post. Well said anon.
>>
>>2386787
Fog machines
Looking like a factory (same as 90s Raw where Marilyn Manson is blasting while wrestlers look like they are entering an abandoned industrial building to fight.)
Small Turnertron.
Plenty of black and red
Pyro
Dim the lights
Let fans throw shit at the wrestlers
>>
(cont'd)
Tight T-shirts
Fanny packs
Wrestling in blue jeans
Long oily hair
Scantily clad cheerleaders during commercial breaks
>>
>>2389111
>>2389128
This is what I unironically miss about WWE/F+WCW. WWE is just too "clean" for me.
>>
Since I was around back then and loved all three (WCW, ECW and WWE) here is my 2 cents about it.

Overall in general WWE has no real competition anymore so strike one on them.

WWE's shilling of their product seems so much more in your face obnoxious then WCW or ECW ever did when it comes down to it. With ECW you had the fans shilling the hell out of the product by chanting the company name. So of course fans at the time saw this as much more organic. Taking in the fact that they were a distant third and it would be ridiculous to fault ECW for any shilling. You know how there are some games that seems like /v/ and only /v/ is really hyped about and they get minimal attention by the mainstream yet enough that the mainstream has to mention it? This was ECW in a nutshell. With WCW Ted had more money than Vince but the actual show wasn't made to look as high budget as WWE. This is also likely because of the huge contracts WCW was paying out to wrestlers at the time. Some of you guys said it perfectly about WCW so no need to go any further here.

Modern WWE by comparison? They just scream "please pay attention to us! We are still cool guys. Le WWE Universe XDDD." This shit comes off absolutely cringe worthy. Even most of their celeb involvements are cringe as fuck. WCW on the other hand did it cool besides that one infamous guy of course. Denis Rodman fit right into the NWO and it was seen as cool. Not cringe shit like Kevin Federline, The Three Stooges, and on and on. So strike two on modern WWE.

Then you look at the wrestlers of today compared to then...

Need I say more guys? Strike three on modern WWE. Wrestling is nowhere as amazing and cool as it once was. Even early 90's WCW has a lot of better stuff going on then modern WWE save for some of the more stupid cartoony stuff. Then again WWE was doing plenty of that to in the early 90's.
>>
>>2386787
>Was it the production? The announcers? The Nitro Girls?
All 3 and they had a shitload of money to hire almost any wrestler.

Too bad shit hit the fan.
>>
>>2389247
Couldn't agree more.

Everything about the presentation in the WWE Universe "era" is shit. Back then it was crude and unapologetic and you either loved it or you didn't watch it. Now it is sterile. Back then it had an underground feel, for lack of a better term. Now, it is trying way too hard to be culturally relevant. Their obvious desire to be accepted by the mainstream and lame attempts to do so are embarrassing.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.