[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does "being a mark for yourself" mean? Are there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1426353800950.jpg (1MB, 2591x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1426353800950.jpg
1MB, 2591x2592px
What does "being a mark for yourself" mean? Are there any particular examples of it?

Also what's the difference between being a mark for the business and being a mark in general?
>>
>>2256092
Being a Mark for Yourself means you value the positive (or negative) portrayal of your wrestling character more than your place and pay in the wrestling business.
These kinds of people will refuse to take pins, complain about their place on the card, and will politic heavily backstage because they think their character deserves more of a spotlight. Some Attitude Era guys who are guilty of this are Hogan and HBK.

A mark for the business can be someone who is aware of the fictional elements of the product, but still watches and spends money on it.

A mark (in wrestling terminology) is someone who believes the fictional elements of the product are real.
A mark (in general) is someone who accepts what they are told at face value when there is no proof or when they proof given has been manipulated for an agenda.
>>
>>2256092
>What does "being a mark for yourself" mean?

see: full sail crowd at nxt
>>
>>2256092
>What does "being a mark for yourself" mean?
Jeff Jarrett.
>>
>>2256112
Thanks for the response, I was always confused by this term.

>These kinds of people will refuse to take pins, complain about their place on the card, and will politic heavily backstage because they think their character deserves more of a spotlight.

What would happen if someone actually changed the outcome of the match while in it? Say like HBK doesn't wanna get pinned but the outcome says he'll get pinned, so he DQs himself instead, what happens? Has something like that ever happened?
>>
File: 1486311404340.jpg (19KB, 479x335px) Image search: [Google]
1486311404340.jpg
19KB, 479x335px
>>2256112
>Attitude Era guys
>Hogan
>>
>>2256127
>WE ARE AWESOME *clap*clap*clap*
>>
>>2256141
>What is nwo?
>>
>>2256133
>What would happen if someone actually changed the outcome of the match while in it?

I'm pretty sure this has happened a few times, although none 100% confirmed. I guess they would punish the guy who did it, then adapt the booking afterwards or simply re-do the match.

A few times it did happen would be:

Hollywood Hogan vs. Sting at Starcade 1997 (Hogan instructed the ref to instead do a regular three count instead of the fast count the booking had called for because he felt a false finish would make him look weak)
HBK vs. Hogan at Summerslam 2005 (HBK oversold all of Hogan's moves and made a joke out of the match because he was angry about the booking being changed from Hogan only winning 2 matches of 3 due to a 1 and done feud, due to Hogan politicking backstage because he didn't want to take the pin from HBK)
Lex Luger vs. Bruiser Brody in a 1980's Cage Match (this was exactly what you mention. Luger didn't want to take the pin, so Brody started stiffing him. Luger hit the ref to disqualify himself, then immediately left the cage and rushed backstage)
>>
>>2256112
Come on man politicking is just smart business it doesn't make you a mark for yourself, that's for people who actually think they're legit sports stars even though they're in the fake and gay business of professional wrestling.
>>
>>2256174
I mean, you're not technically wrong. I guess it's more of an issue of labeling. Politicking isn't always bad, but guys who are marks for themselves are always people who are politicking backstage.

To clarify, not all politicking is bad, but all self marks use politicking to get their way.
>>
The Ultimate Warrior and Cryback are perfect examples of being a mark for yourself. It's no coincidence they both changed their legal names to their wrestling names.
>>
>>2256092
This picture should be of Bret Hart.
>>
>>2256092
>What does "being a mark for yourself" mean? Are there any particular examples of it?

Every single tripfag on this board are prime examples.
>>
>>2256169
>HBK vs. Hogan at Summerslam 2005 (HBK oversold all of Hogan's moves and made a joke out of the match because he was angry about the booking being changed from Hogan only winning 2 matches of 3 due to a 1 and done feud, due to Hogan politicking backstage because he didn't want to take the pin from HBK)

This one was absolutely awesome too, definitively worth a watch if you missed it, OP
>>
>>2256112
its supposed to be all about money but your spot directly impacts that
>>
>>2256129
are you kidding? jeff jarrett is king carney. he has zero illusions about the wrestling business
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.