[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any of you martial arts fags know what Chong Li's fighting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: chongdance.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
chongdance.gif
2MB, 320x180px
Any of you martial arts fags know what Chong Li's fighting style was? What he was supposed to be trained in?

From your experiences are most movie fighting sytles not realistic? Are they all a bastardization of real martial art?
>>
>>2101170
Movie fights are choreographed to be interesting, not realistic. Olypmic fencer Bob Anderson made a career out of teaching people to not fence. As for Chong Li, I have no idea.
>>
>>2101170
Stunts. Worked.
>>
>>2101170
Tae kwon du in movie but it's really karate irl.
>>
Bolo Yeung did some sort of Kung fu. Movie styles are choreographed to an extent that I'd consider unrealistic. The last movie with fight choreography that I enjoyed due to its attempting realism and not solely for schlocky appeal was John Wick.
>>
Oh, Yeung Si is really an expert in Tai Chi in real life. He's old school Cantonese, like was born in South China, moved to Hong Kong, very typical at the time. But he really is world-class in Tai Chi and I'm pretty sure he knew a little bit of Wing Chun and other Canton or Southern style martial arts.

As for his character in Blood Sport, that's definitely not any martial arts. He's just being a big thug, dumbing down his moves so Van Damme looks awesome in comparison.

Now that you mention it, it's actually paradoxical. Usually an actor plays a role where he's amazing at being an action hero when he is merely just acting like it. Here, Yeung Si is actually quite good, but almost never shows it on screen, playing just a muscle man.
>>
>>2102561
So is tai chi an actual martial art?
>>
>>2102748
Same as with almost every single CMA of any level of (relative) repute. There's something there, there's martial origins and things that are sensical and sometimes even practical and applicable, but constant foreign meddling and the cultural revolution fucked martial development sideways and the way things are taught in 99.9% of schools make everything all but useless anymore.
>>
File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (53KB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0001.jpg
53KB, 1152x480px
>>2101243
>that time he almost killed big sexy
>>
>>2101170
>Any of you martial arts fags know what Chong Li's fighting style was?
Vaguely martial artsy moves and highlighting that the character is a monster heel.

>From your experiences are most movie fighting sytles not realistic?
They're absolutely not realistic, even movies that try rarely get it right for the sake of entertainment. If you watch even a literal handful of boxing/kickboxing/MMA matches you'll see how different the feel is between actual fights and movie stuff.
>>
>>2102748

>So is tai chi an actual martial art?

Oh, definitely. I'm the anon that mentioned Yeung Si and Tai Chi above, I'm Chinese and grew up with old people practicing Tai Chi everywhere (even my parents), so I totally understand why you ask. Even I thought it was old people aerobics when I was a kid.

I know Tai Chi looks like Do The Creep (pic related), with the classic raised hands and leg. Now just visualise those moving to push an opponent's wrist, inside elbow, shoulder, face, neck. That raised leg accelerating your centre of gravity forward, to give some force behind those pushes, leverage, etc. Leverage, not strength.

Tai Chi is actually a form of grappling, but instead of going entirely to the ground like I guess Brazilian Jujitsu, it likes your opponent on the ground and you still standing or kneeling, so you can pummel him.

But why did Tai Chi become aerobics for old folks' homes? Because it's a form of exercise with minimal strain, it works with your body rather than against it. You won't tear or rip a muscle, so it's accessible to all ages or all body types. The other thing is, if you hear the sequence of moves, the kata, it sounds a bit like a nursery rhyme, so it's easy to remember. It's really a design of Taoists, goes with the flow, very user-friendly in both body and mind.

I agree with the above anon, the accumulated experience of all the schools of Tai Chi probably got disrupted due to foreign and frankly homegrown Communist influence, but also more people are just interested in exercise then self-defense. It's like how there's a lot more normal work-out gyms than boxing/MMA gyms, and I've noticed even the latter are re-positioning themselves as a type of workout to attract more customers.

Now back to Yeung Si. Considering how he is built like Hercules, the fact that he uses a martial arts like Tai Chi that requires minimal force to begin with...wow.
>>
>>2104200
Given the foreign/communist influence on Tai Chi, would you recommend against learning it?
>>
>>2104302

Actually, I would recommend Tai Chi over many other things, precisely because Tai Chi has this reputation as mere physical/mental exercise and discipline and self-defense techniques, which is really what all martial arts are. That's unlike a lot of dojos that lure you in with this illusion of making you the next Super Saiyan badass.

When I said influence, I didn't mean corruption, I meant entire schools of Tai Chi were probably lost, as were many things. Those that survived by fleeing to Hong Kong, then to the rest of the world, are as legit as anything (provided it isn't run by some conman pretending to know martial arts, which happens a lot outside China, because far fewer people would know how to spot such frauds).

For those interested in particularly the applied martial arts, often the fightier Tai Chi schools advertise themselves as "Tai Chi Chuan" instead of just Tai Chi, which means Tai Chi Fist/Boxing/Punching. As always, check out a school, its teachers, its students before joining.
>>
File: bolo1.jpg (52KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
bolo1.jpg
52KB, 600x450px
>>2104200
> Considering how he is built like Hercules, the fact that he uses a martial arts like Tai Chi that requires minimal force to begin with...wow

His martial art of choice, athletic ability and physique have little to do with one another, though. Yeung had a career in bodybuilding, making his muscles literally for show, and was a very clear steroid user going by his sudden massive bulk gain from being very lean as a youth and him shrinking to a mummified version of his former self as he got on in years.

>>2104302
If the idea is "be a badass like Chong Li", the way to imitate that is bodybuilding/powerlifting and steroid cycles with anything vaguely martial on the side. I would personally recommend against seeking out chinese martial arts as it's incredibly difficult to find people teaching legitimate application in a proper, coherent manner. Even legitimate CMA are often bogged down in traditionalism, outdated training methods, superstition and isolationism. There's just simpler, more practical options that are much easier to find out there.
>>
>>2105457
>If the idea is "be a badass like Chong Li"
Are you saying this is a bad goal (minus the steroids of course)
>>
File: cerrone heems story slowmo.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cerrone heems story slowmo.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>2106053
Well, yes, unless you're underage I don't find it particularly good to take a fictional musclebound murderer from a Jean Claude Van Damme movie as a model for badassery when there's so many actual real life examples of badassery you could strive to follow instead. But that's just me.

Hitting the gym and learning a martial art isn't a bad goal at all and I encourage you to follow any path you wish to take if it means you're happy and healthy and having fun. I might think there's better paths, for instance I'd focus more on building functional muscle over just looking ripped, but you should do what works for you.
>>
>>2106084
I'm 32 so I'm too old to do full contact like MMA but Id like to do fun stuff to practice after my yoga and bodybuilding sessions
>>
Chong Li was the man. I always cheered for him when watching the movie
>>
>>2108058
You can just train something practical and not do competitions and hard sparring. Training in grappling (wrestling and/or BJJ primarily) doesn't have to be high impact wear and tear yet can be done full speed in practice without as much fear of injury n whatnot. Donald Cerrone with the killer combo there is undergoing a career resurgence and has recently admitted that he's dropped hard sparring from his training save for grappling.
>>
>>2108058
I'm almost 30 and I box (badly). I spar with amateur competitors and pros and, while I don't win, I don't get the shit beaten out of me. After reaching a certain comfort level I've become the guy my coach uses to ease new guys into sparring because I'm good enough that I don't panic and start brawling but not so good that I ridiculously outclass them. It's never too late to start a good practical combat sport. You may never be competing in the UFC but you can still learn a lot about how to defend yourself and keep healthy.
>>
>>2108179
I turn it off before he loses
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.