[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did this man ever make it to the level he did? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: piped.jpg (80KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
piped.jpg
80KB, 640x480px
How did this man ever make it to the level he did? I don't remember seeing him as a kid but rewatching/read stuff it seems like he was over as hell as a heel.

That said how/why did vince ever push him? He wasn't built like hogan or warrior or any of the other builds that give vince wood. He wasn't a giant, either. Was he that good on a mic? The best technician of his time?
>>
Without piper hogan wouldn't have been half as over, he's also probably the only person in history who beat hogan twice in a year (WCW)

yes he was that good on the mic
>>
>>1999546
*twice clean in a year

in fact I don't think piper ever lost a match clean by pinfall despite being a heel until the WM match vs Bret
>>
he is a god on the mic and is partly responsible for getting hogan as over as he did

he had charisma - something which ripoffs like CM Punk didn't have
>>
You're mistake is thinking 80's WWF is anything like modern WWE. Vince didn't have nearly the vision, power or fascistic control that he has now. The ability to bury a potential moneymaker because he hated their body was a glint in Vince's eye that wouldn't come to pass for over a decade. Hot Rod got pushed because he was over. He was over because:

>Was he that good on a mic?

YES
>>
>>1999546
This.

Piper wasn't just a good heel, he was THE heel. This man knew how to work fans so good at the time that he completely changed the rules. Every word out of his mouth would completely get underneath everyone's skin and want to see him get beat up. Yeah, he was a big dime drawer too.

I would love to see someone of his caliber in todays times and try to find the most original and unconventional ways to piss off people the way he did. I hate to admit it but Punk probably came close to that.
>>
So does anyone now, or recently, even come close to his mic skills?
>>
>>1999555
No not even close

Go find the pipers pit from wm21, he starts getting what chants then he changes the delivery of his promo that completely turns the crowd around and gets a standing ovation. Nobody could do that now, and that was a decade after he retired
>>
>>1999555
>So does anyone now, or recently, even come close to his mic skills?

No fucking way. I'd say he's the best in history, unarguably the top 3. Only people that approach him:

>Flair
>Vince
>Heyman
>Savage
>Rhodes
>Rock
>>
>>1999543
18+
>>
>>1999601
You are an idiot
>>
>>1999576

Chris Jericho
>>
Because having talent & charisma is more important than height or muscle.

>>1999551
Well, he always had the same level of control, just less of a monopoly.

And more sanity.
>>
>>1999682
>Because having talent & charisma is more important than height or muscle.
We know that. I didn't think Vince did though
>>
>>2000421
This was back in the 80s where Vince was at least passably sane.

Also being physically smaller made Piper work as Hogan's foil.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHLOwB2Xp38

He was the fucking best.
>>
>>1999543
he probbaly would have main evented more if not for him never wanting to job
>>
Anyone see miz as the modern day piper. Mainly in terms of not the best in the ring but fantastic heel and mix work
>>
>>2000548
No. Not in the slightest. Miz has only been a good heel since Maryse came bake. Piper was GOAT from day one.
>>
>>2000548

"no"

not even close. Piper could play a great face too, Miz doesn't have that ability.
>>
File: IMG_3945.jpg (77KB, 500x219px)
IMG_3945.jpg
77KB, 500x219px
Is he /our guy/?
>>
>>2000548
nah

maybe if you cut everything from when he lost the title to when maryse came back

but there's like 5 years of being more or less a joke in there
>>
>>1999543
Back then Wrestling was more about getting over and less about what Vince shoves down your throat. Sure Vince always secretly had the hots for male bodybuilders. But was too over to ignore.
>>
>>2000566
dubs confirms it to be true

praise KEK
>>
File: tugofwar.gif (916KB, 410x307px)
tugofwar.gif
916KB, 410x307px
>>1999543
>How did this man ever make it to the level he did?

Rowdy sucked.

He didn't get there by wrestling, that's for sure. He sucked Patterson's dick to get his spot as *the* cowardly heel, and Patterson pushed Rowdy into becoming a top heel in Vince's eyes, thus Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling we see Rowdy as the main villain, which lead into WWF's manufactured Hollywood appeal for Rowdy. Piper was such an early fame whore, which is why he always seemed to be absent for most of his "memorable" WWF career.

All of this is 80s (and Vince's) idea of making a superstar. Cartoon, cowardly heel, Hollywood...

No one remembers Piper for his wrestling. They remember him for a coconut to Superfly's head, and the Bad News Brown angle. You heard he was great on the mic but really he was dead heat (xpac heat) and a shit wrestler.

sad but true.mp3
>>
>>2000723
and a gimmick. whoops. can't believe i forgot that one. a kilt, a theme song, and a shirt.

gotta love the 80s
>>
>>2000723
18+

Piper, like Hogan, was over as fuck before they stepped foot in WWF. Vince asked him to jump ship, not the other way around
>>
>>2000729
over as fuck with who?

even AWA Hogan wouldn't be immortal without Vince, so no, Piper got there by whoring himself. Not mad about it, but he sucked horribly.
>>
>>2000733
>even AWA Hogan wouldn't be immortal without Vince

Hogan was drawing 20k people without Vince and they almost rioted whenever he didn't win the title. Would he have gotten as big? No, but Vince certainly didn't manufacture him or get him over

Piper was over in Los Angeles and in the southern territories. Again, Vince came to him, not the other way around. He was a shit wrestler, no doubt about that, but he wasn't some jabroni that Vince found on the street and made him
>>
>>2000741
Almost rioting? They rioted every Friday night in Dallas at the Sportatorium if the Von Erichs didn't win. The 80s were a different time. Everything was a cause for riots. Would anyone outside of the south had known Kerry Von Erich if it weren't for Vince's Texas Tornado version?

Let's not beat around the bush here, Vince has everything to do with Hogan, Piper, and any and every one of the 80s talents getting over to the Hollywood level fame, which when counting there's only less than 5 still to this day.

Piper without Vince is what? Still in LA kissing ass looking for a way to get on tv and become a crossover star.

Vince manufactured the real mania.

AWA Hogan does not get No Holds Barred.
>>
>>2000762
I already said Hogan wouldn't have been as big without WWF, but WWF wouldn't have been as big without him either. You haven't answered why Vince came to Piper to make him the #1 heel instead of it being the other way around. He was a name before Vince, Vince gave him the nationwide platform.

>AWA Hogan does not get No Holds Barred.

He got Rocky 3
>>
>>2000768
>He got Rocky 3

Mr. T got Rocky 3. Stallone's movie anyway. No one looks at Rocky 3 as says, "Oh yeah, the Hulk Hogan movie," like it was his vehicle to fame and crossover appeal. That was No Hold's Barred.

Oh, God. WWF would've pushed anyone with Piper out of the way. Again, Piper was a glorified mouthpiece who had dead heat. He sucked as a wrestler...Ventura could've gone out there and did a better job than Piper could've ever dreamed doing he weren't stuck behind commentary! Easily! He'd do laps around Piper.

Vince came to Piper because of course the gimmick was ready-made for tv. But again, it's Vince's TV that got Piper over to this heralded spot, not anything he ever did before Vince, which you've already stated you agreed with me upon.
>>
>>2000778
>No one looks at Rocky 3 as says, "Oh yeah, the Hulk Hogan movie," like it was his vehicle to fame and crossover appeal

Rocky 3 was the reason that he got fired from WWF originally and went to the AWA and became over as fuck and drew over 20k people. If he never did that movie, that wouldn't have happened and he would have just stayed in the WWF and not became as big of a star as he could have

>WWF would've pushed anyone with Piper out of the way

I was talking about Hogan when I said "WWF wouldn't have been as big without him either".

>Vince came to Piper because of course the gimmick was ready-made for tv. But again, it's Vince's TV that got Piper over to this heralded spot, not anything he ever did before Vince, which you've already stated you agreed with me upon.

I did agree with you on that, I didn't agree with you saying he had XPac heat or that the only reason he became the top heel was because Patterson molested him. If it was X-Pac heat then why was he so over as a babyface too? Piper vs Hogan in WCW when they were over 100 years old combined and couldn't work for shit was always hot, because of the mic work
>>
>>1999576
Rock was better, Jericho was better and may still be. Flair also.
>>
>>2000778
The only thing dumber than your views on Piper are your delusions that anybody ever gave a fuck about No Holds Barred.
>>
>>2000548
Miz doesn't even touch Piper as an actor let alone a wrestler.
>>
>>1999576
Foley would have to be up there if for nothing else but versatility.
>>
>>1999576
Piper
Rock
Vinny Mac

The undisputable top 3 of mic skills
>>
>>1999576
Add Jericho, Ventura, and Hennig to that list.

Rock is/was better than even prime Piper on the mic.
>>
>>2000723
>Rowdy sucked.
>He didn't get there by wrestling, that's for sure.

You are a fucking idiot.

Check out Piper's pre-WWF stuff to see how great he was in the ring. His Dog Collar Match with Greg Valentine is still one of the best 10 matches of all time.

When he first came to the WWF, he got injured almost instantly and couldn't wrestle so Vince game him a mic and told him to go out and get heat. Piper did just that and then some. Vince had literally no idea how talented he was on the mic. After that injury, Piper had to alter his ring style. His hip was really bad and he had a problem keeping his equilibrium due to the damage done to his ear in the Dog Collar match. He wasn't as good as his NWA days but he didn't need to be. He got over by being the most annoying asshole in the entire world.

>>2000733
>over as fuck with who?

His feuds with Flair were brutal in GCW/NWA. They literally had shoot matches and threw real punches and moves.

He also had very successful runs against Greg Valentine, Don Muraco, and Sgt. Slaughter before he came to WWF and work for Vince.
>>
>>1999576
> flair
> savage
> anywhere near piper's level
>>
>>2008215
You're right: they could actually cut focused promos with clear intent.
>>
File: karate-student[1].png (189KB, 275x456px) Image search: [Google]
karate-student[1].png
189KB, 275x456px
>>2008285
>You're right: they could actually cut focused promos with clear intent.
>>
>>2008285
Flair was a shoutfag that relied too heavily on catchphrases, and not even good catchphrases like the Rock

Macho meme was a vastly overrated voicebabby that is pretty embarrassing to go back and watch now
And i say that as a longterm Savage fan
>>
>>2008305
>not even good catchphrases like the Rock

This is the kind of faggot idiot that populates this board. All of Rock's catchphrases are shit.
>>
>>2008312
t. insecure stone cold mark
>>
>>2008313
Take any of Rock's catchphrases and give them to someone else and they are shit, they are only good because Rock does them. Flair turns everything into gold in the same way.
>>
>>2008305
>Flair_KILL_YOURSELF.png
>>
>>1999550
>is

I have some bad news for you anon...
>>
>>2000428
lol, lawl, lowl, what the fuck was that?????

JUST WHEN THEY THINK THEY 'VE GOT THE ANSWERS, IIII CHANGE THE QUESTIONS

what in heaven's name is happening???
ahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
one word: million dollar man

nuff said
>>
el oh fucking el
you guys dig this guy??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfqoJa3OzFE
>>
>>2006229
Don't forget his stuff in Portland. Started as heel but killed as babyface. His feuds with Buddy Rose were legendary. Don Owen loved him and he still lived in the Portland area.
>>
>>2008687

Why are Million Dollar Man and Honky Tonk so fucking underrated?
>>
brothers and sisters, I think we should co-exist. You have your fun and you ALREADY were part of /asp/. Just don't make so many threads of little importance. Some say that generals kill discussion. I am not certain about this. Leave a little room for the others to talk about their passions, that's all. It's going to be the biggest heel-turn of the decade, kayfabe my words.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.