[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the most stagnant era in wrestling history? Just think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: Y`N32TIDJOTB@$G${YXE~59.jpg (48KB, 560x750px) Image search: [Google]
Y`N32TIDJOTB@$G${YXE~59.jpg
48KB, 560x750px
Is this the most stagnant era in wrestling history? Just think back to the Madison Square Garden incident. That was 1996 and we still had those awful "occupation" tier characters from the New Generation.

Within 2 years the Attitude Era was in full swing in 1998 with Austin and Mike Tyson and DX in full effect. Within another year of that we had the Ministry of Darkness and the Corporation. Within 2 more years of that we had the invasion angle with ECW and WCW merging with WWF and we had one of the most memorable Wrestlemanias in history in X-Seven.

Within 2 years of that it was an entirely new generation of wrestlers with Cena, Orton, the Smackdown 6, Brock Lesnar, etc. all bringing in the new blood for the Ruthless Aggression era. After that it seems like things slowed down until about 2006-7 when Linda started being a politician and the Benoit incident occurred, when it seems to have grinded to a hault. Honestly if it weren't for the sets changing and the logo changing, any match from when they started using the HD cameras to now could be almost interchangeable with eachother in terms of "eras". It doesn't seem like there's been as many memorable or defining moments in the past 10 years. Why did wrestling stop progressing and evolving? Why are we stuck in an era with at least one P. Diddy cameo a year and weekly TV with matches so boring that most people don't even bother tuning in?
>>
I started watching at the tail end of the attitude era so the transition from that to PG was strange. It doesn't feel like they can push the envelope like they used to with the restrictions.
>>
>>1964539
But i'm not even talking about bringing back blood and hardcore matches or whatever. It just seems that every era in WWE was so sharpley defined until 2006ish when it just became samey and bland. Everything from 2006/7 onwards just kind of blends together. The entirety of the New Generation era and the transition into the AE, going from the Kliq to DX, was only 3 years. In comparison, we've had the new WWE network logo for 2 and a half years. These 2 and a half years, at least in terms of WWE, flew by and it seems like nothing has happened. A timeframe which encapsulated an entire era of wrestling with In Your Houses and the transition into the monday night wars just 20 years ago is now a bland stretch of nothingness with nothing to note other than the streak being broken which is hardly era defining as there was no change of presidence in the rest of the business.
>>
File: 1465186572557.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1465186572557.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>1964508
Anon, we have a wwe hall of famer as our future president
>/sp/'s fw
>>
File: IMG_0259.jpg (84KB, 654x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0259.jpg
84KB, 654x960px
>>1964589
Even when they have potential defining moments like the pipebomb, it eventually goes back to bland shit within weeks
>>
>>1964508
TLDR

But yeah, wrestling sucks now. They need to bring back the attitude era asap.

THUMBS UP IF YOU AGREE!
>>
>>1964659
WWE does suck now. The past 10 years have been virtually indistinguishable
>>
You could try watching actually good promotions.
>>
>>1964700
you could try fucking off wewtist
>>
>>1964700
ROH is suffering the same fate as WWE right now and it's fucking hard to actually catch a new episode on TV, TNA is too little too late, NJPW (and any japanese promotion for that matter) barely have a presence in North America and Europe, WWN is fucking rinky-dink and, while I don't know how much the subscription, is probably not worth any fucking money.
>>
keep bitching about the 'E then faggot
>>
>>1964711
You should probably stop fearing boogeymen and work on that rage of yours.

>>1964726
>on TV

If only there was some way to WATCHWRESTLING online...
>>
>>1964508

>Is this the most stagnant era in wrestling history? Just think back to the Madison Square Garden incident. That was 1996 and we still had those awful "occupation" tier characters from the New Generation.
>Within 2 years the Attitude Era was in full swing in 1998 with Austin and Mike Tyson and DX in full effect.

Those "occupation tier" characters started well before 1996. 1994 at the latest.

Really, the WWF was utter dogshit from at least 1992 to whenever Stone Cold got over.

Still not sure if that time period has managed to outsuck 2008-now. Both eras have had a very rare few decent moments (Michaels vs Diesel, Michaels vs Bret, CM Punk for short bursts of competent booking, Daniel Bryan finally going over) in a sea of incredibly stale, uninspired, outright stupid bullshit.

At least back then they weren't shoehorning a women's angle they COMPLETELY forgot to build up worth a shit into a horribly booked HIAC match in a vain attempt to score some Social Justice Awareness points with people who don't even goddamn watch wrestling.
>>
>>1964726

ROH's weekly shows are MUCH better than WWE's. Though ROH lacks a super over The Guy like they had with CM Punk, Samoa Joe, or Dryan Branielson, their shows still have some decent, fun matches, and are then nice and fucking over.

At least when ROH is boring, it's only one goddamn hour long. I'd rather be waterboarded than watch another 195 minutes of RAW.
>>
New logo in 2017?
>>
>>1964508

Because the industry got as big and popular as it is ever going to be back in the late 90's/early 2000's.

The business peaked and it's never going back, so WWE is simply just training to maintain and exist at this point. They are comfortable with it.
>>
>>1964787
There is a MASSIVE dropoff in the latter half of the early 2000s.
>>
>>1964771
>Those "occupation tier" characters started well before 1996. 1994 at the latest.
yes, I said we "still" had them, i didn't mean to suggest that they started then. I'm just saying, we went from that to the AE in the span of 2 years.
>>
>>1964808
>>1964829
>43 views
wow do we actually have bots again?
>>
>>1964777
>Though ROH lacks a super over The Guy

O'Reilly is getting there.
>>
>>1964508
I hate minimalist shit. That fucking modern Logo makes no impression. The classic 80s is too dated but still has more character.
>>
>>1967628
its funny, the new generation logo is so dated that it actually went full circle and would be suitable in the modern era if the colors were slightly reworked
>>
File: 1454222931127.jpg (116KB, 660x469px) Image search: [Google]
1454222931127.jpg
116KB, 660x469px
>>1964508
>the most memorable Wrestlemanias in history in X-Seven.
hi
>>
>>1964508
"The New Generation was the worst" meme needs to die.

93-95 were pretty dull, but '96 had some really involved storytelling and strong PPVs. '92 was a great year, and '97 was the beginning of Attitude.

WWE has been bad since 2001 and indisputably WOAT since 2011 to present date. If New Generation had lasted 15 years, youcould bitch about it, but 86-00 was a golden age, and 01-16 was an age of shit.
>>
>>1969036
I agree with this

I don't know how much it has to do with my age at the time [and subsequent years - 26 now] but to me, WWF from about 97-2001 was lightyears better than it was at any other time. Also I didn't find the "ruthless aggression era" or any "era" since then to be anything special.
>>
>>1969036
Fucking this
> bret
> owen
> the steiner brothers
> bam bam
> bulldog
> razor rameme
> hbfaggot
> 123 kid
> commentary was great, lawler when he was good, macho man, mr perfect and gorilla regularly etc
> matches were loads better to watch compared to the era before
> everything wasnt spoiled by the internet, surprises happened

All we have nowadays is Cena and GayJ
>>
>>1969036
95 was like the worst year ever
>>1969076
sure the top guys were great but much of the undercard was shite stuff that was made to market to kids
>>
>>1964726
How is NJPW? Fun to watch? English subs?
>>
>>1969087
>95 was like the worst year ever
2015 and 2016 have both been worse. You just expect less now than fans in 95 expected.
>>
>>1969036
>WWE has been bad since 2001
2002-2004 smackdown was better than anything before it though
>>
>>1969036
>WWE has been bad since 2001

No. It's been bad since 2003, or so.
>>
>>1964771
in a vain attempt to score some Social Justice Awareness points with people who DON'T EVEN GODDAMN WATCH WRESTLING.

FUCKING
THIS
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.