[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it like training to be an MMA fighter? What is it like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: images.jpg (12KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 318x159px
What is it like training to be an MMA fighter? What is it like fighting in the ring? How long does it take to become proficient? Anyone here with stories and experiences to share?
>>
I am not a mixed martial artist, but I can imagine there is at least an extent of imagination to be fleshed out if you've done some extent of martial arts, so I only post this as an observer:

Most fighters seem to range from their mid-twenties to, at latest, late-thirties (with some rare outliers). To be a proficient fighter, you need to know multitudes of form for various situations, namely striking (kicking, punching and knees and elbows) and grappling (throwing, wrestling and holds). On average, if you were to draw a parallel to belt-ranking, a fighter may have a brown belt in one or two particular martial arts while holding at least a second to third degree blackbelt in their primary martial art - it would be a bit of a stretch to say that a good fighter can accomplish much in the ring without at the very least of 8 or so years of training as a whole. Chiefly, however, is the in-ring fighting experience versus simple training in a gym; there is a far space between perfecting your kick against a bag and perfecting it under all the stress brought with fighting another person.

Needless to say, most McDojos and TKD dojangs will not have the proper mindset or training available for cage fighting. Like many Muay Thai practitioners can vouch for, if you aren't throwing up after the first class as a martial art greenhorn, you're not getting the most for your buck. This could easily entail four to six hours of intermittent training a day every other day, rigorous dieting and educated exercise.

Sadly, I can't contribute much else but that speculative opinion, but I'd quite like to hear more from those with experience in the ring. I personally enjoy watching the rookie Ben "Flattop" Fodor (AKA Phoenix Jones).
>>
>>1938660
>mma fighter
>posts 2hu
You're a rare type of breed.
>>
>>1938667

Oh, I'm no MMA fighter, my apologies - I only practice Tae Kwon Do of Kukkiwon. Meiling's a qt3.14 who'd be a great sparring partner so I feel obligated to post one of my favorite tuhus when I talk about martial arts like the sperg I am.
>>
>>1938660
Well, if you read articles and interviews from guys who does this for a living, you're that far from reality. How long does it takes for a physician to get his degree on medicine? That's studying all day long, including weekends, and such. MMA fighters are pretty much the same: several hours of training everyday, strict diet to keep the weight in check, and taking days off after big fights to recover from injuries, but also to prevent new ones from appearing.

Really, whoever believes that training one or two hours every other day is good enough to be a badass is fucking delusional.
>>
>>1938707
Well good thing you post them in those threads since I can guarantee you that you'd be shitted upon if you posted it in a wrestling thread that isn't a gamethread or the waifu threads.
>>
>What is it like training to be an MMA fighter?

lots of training, sparring, various types of cardio to keep up your conditioning. if you work a regular job pretty much all you'll be doing is working and training.

it's also expensive as FUCK. MMA is the new fad sport that every dudebro that's been in a fight thinks he can dominate at. high end gyms will charge you, literally, thousands a month for their training.

>What is it like fighting in the ring?

the first few fights: adrenaline, fear, instinct. imagine getting chased by the cops, something like that

after a few fights you'll feel familiar enough to the point where your brain won't regress to reptile mode and you'll be able to make tactical decisions

>How long does it take to become proficient?

felipe trained for two years in one of the best gyms in the country and regularly sparred with elite level guys yet still got btfo. granted he was certainly overmatched. i'd say 3 years to reach a legit amateur level. of course it depends heavily on you and your coaches.
>>
>>1938344
Ive been training for about 4 months, stand up you can get away with being shitter, jujitsu takes the fucking time, you'll get totally wrecked if you don't at least know how to survive.
Should have my first fight in about 5 months,

Also, gotta work that cardio and core strength.
>>
Not quite mma, but I used to know a guy called Yia Mua. They called him the bull. He was one of the few non-Thai person that the owner of the Lumpinee stadium has personally invited to fight in his arena. I was on a training trip with him in Thailand. The majority of the work was on cardio. But it wasn't so much running and such but rather a focus on prolonged periods of quick bursts of energy. He'd sprint to the punching bag and do a few combos for fifteen seconds and then jog back to the coach and take a beating to his stomach, hands, and thighs for another fifteen second and repeat. He'd do this in sets of 3, 4, and 5 minutes. With breaks in between, he'd go at for about four hours everyday, just kicking trees and getting beat on by other people. That was besides jogging four miles in the morning, noon, and night.
>>
>>1939143
1, the "owner" doesn't invite anyone to lumpinee because it's owned by the military.
2, foreign fighters routinely compete there - it's not some grand privilege.

also, I've never known him to compete against any noteworthy thai but he was a pretty good fighter for the american scene. also heard that he died quite recently.
>>
>>1938707
So you're a fag that doesn't know what it is to train hard.
>>
>>1939684

Not all TKD schools are trash - you're mistaken WTF as ATA. But sure, I'll agree with you so you feel good avout your post, Anon.
>>
Training mma depends on the individual, some people train hard and bust their asses and others half ass it. If you want to be a fighter than you need to have a true passion for it. Have to spend everyday training, pay at least $100 a month for a gym, fight a bunch of amatuer fights with no pay, half the time your oppenent drops out or no shows. If you go pro you sporadicly get booked for small time promotions, maybe you get lucky and get a match on the undercard of Bellator. Also you will always have an injury, for the rest of your life.

On the flip side you can still half ass at some shit gym and get booked for an amatuer fight, but most those guys drop out the match when they watch tapes of their opponent.
>>
>>1938344
It's like being a full time student but you're also doing a lot of exercise.
>>
Take drama classes to work on mic skills
>>
>>1938344

>training mma
i'd rather have sex.
>>
>>1940755
You can't do both? I train muay thai and bjj and still find plenty of time to fuck my girlfriend
>>
>>1938344
Not as intense as some fighters will say. They're not training 8 hours a day. Not that it's easy, but they're training intense, and they're training hard.

No idea, haven't done it.

Proficient? If you have the level of physical fitness required (which is rare), a year or two, depending on how dedicated you are. A pro athlete can transition into a good mma fighter faster than an amateur martial artist.

T. Trains at a gym with pro-fighters.
>>
File: 1474391913708.png (132KB, 365x281px) Image search: [Google]
1474391913708.png
132KB, 365x281px
>>1938344
Stop trying the easy way, Phil. Learn on your own damn time.
>>
>>1940829
Ugh, a pro athlete wouldn't really be that proficient that quick, most pro athletes would be heavy-weights and generally heavy-weights are less skilled than the smaller weights so they get away with bad technique more and are generally less entertaining
>>
>>1940821
>muay thai
>bjj
>plenty of time
And you call yourself a martial artist. You're no martial artist; You're a pervert who likes hitting and submission seeking. You make people, who actually dedicate themselves to something, look bad. People see you, a skin hitting, hip thrusting, self indulgent fuck head, and they think "wow, this guy trains martial arts. He has fighting skill. He knows fighting. He"s one of those martial artists." when you're a fucking slacker who can't be bothered to pull his dick out of his head for a few minutes to train.
>>
>>1938660
>im not a mixed martial artist
>writes a big wall of text about what its like anyways

Who do you think youre helping?
>>
>>1940983
>guy says he trains muay thai and bjj
>you cant even be bothered to train a few minutes

uh...
>>
>>1941008

>im not a mixed martial artist
>writes a big wall of text about what it seems like

FTFY. I didn't say what I said was how it was, I said it's how I see it and imagine what it must be like training.

I made a post to contribute to the thread with input, even if I am not the source OP is looking for. So yes, it is helping. Better than to the tune of wrasslin.
>>
>>1941064
ok, next time someone asks for advice on how to be an astronaut or a heart surgeon you should jump in on that too to tell them what it SEEMS like to you. Im sure youll have a lot to add onto the conversation.
>>
>>1941076

You're acting niggardly if you can't grasp the idea of what an educated guess is, Anon.

Here's the (You) that you're craving. Enjoy.
>>
>>1941084
>talks about something he has no experience in
>gets mad when people tell him he's a retard.
>>
>>1940983
Lmao what, I train 5/6 days a week and see my girlfriend after or before training. Why would you assume that I'm a slacker just because I dont dedicate every waking moment to martial arts?
>>
>>1938720
what about one or two hours every day?
>>
>>1944072
Now you're getting closer to reasonable ranges. Pros don't put in much more time then this, and you can make serious gains, IF and this is a big if, if you're training smart and hard those hours.
>>
>>1940829
>8 hours a day

Funnily enough, it have been studied and confirmed that after certain amount of hours, even people working on office jobs just get tired, half ass everything and in general are much less productive. Anyone claiming that he trains for more than 6hr everyday, more likely is either lying or just wasting time forcing his body to do stuff rather than resting and recovering.
>>
depends on the individual, you can be at a certain fitness level and still fight comfortably

>Anyone here with stories and experiences to share?

during the fight stress levels can go to the extremes, if you can't control this it doesn't matter how good you are in technique or conditioning, nothing will work out for you, that includes all the theories and fight plans you make

>tl;dr
train until you're comfortable/collected in high stress levels (where you don't want to fight/train anymore)
>>
>>1948196
Yes, generally speaking, energy levels decrease relating to the hours from which one awakened.

>people working office jobs just get tired
It has a lot to do with being sedentary for long periods of time, and mental taxation.

Lower physical exertion, lower heart rate, less blood flow to the brain.

Your brain builds up neural waste during the day, and it's cleaned out when you sleep. It can be compared to lifting, actually.

Just like how people can walk all day every day, exercising those leg muscles, with the right conditioning, just like walking, people can exercise their minds all day, every day.

As with physical labor, various studies have shown that rest periods in between physical exertion during the day increases productivity within each time period of physical labor.
By simply resting the body for a short period of time, each period of time spent "exercising" yields greater productivity, and an ability to yield more results or a longer period of time throughout the day.

>Anyone claiming that he trains for more than 6hr everyday, more likely is either lying or just wasting time forcing his body to do stuff rather than resting and recovering.
Some of the people who say this are ignorant and delusional.

With less intense training, one can train for a longer period of time. For a large majority of people, sprinting is not sustainable for 5 hours, while walking for 5 hours is sustainable.
The same concept applies to training martial arts.
Here's a little more on concepts. Sprinting is able to be done for a longer total amount of time if there are breaks in between sprints.

Yes, the concept of resting and recovering is very applicable to training, and is advised for productivity and development of skill, but the values you've attached to the concepts do not compute. Your equations are all wrong.
>>
>>1948196
>>1949003

For example:
A number greater than 5 but lesser than 10 (training), plus a number greater than 10 but lesser than 15 (training after a certain amount of physical exertion), is greater than 12 (maximum ability to perform).
But there are missing factors, among the lack of ability to determine the values of factors.

If the value of training is 6 so it's not very intense, it is further from lesser than the value of the maximum ability to perform.
There's also the modifier of a break.

Training - Break + Further Training, is a very applicable and commonly used, effective formula.

We could then have Training - Break + Further Training

With this, we could have the value of Training be 7, but because of the Break modifier, we could subtract 2 and be further from the Maximum Ability to Perform.

If Training is equal to 7 and we add the modifier of the Break, so we subtract 2, we get a value of 5, when we add the Further Training, it could have a value of 4, since people could read studies on exercise and find it's best to exercise less intensely after previous exercise that same day, and the value would only be 9, which is 3 less than the Maximum Ability to Perform. That's just a simplification, anyway.

Further training at certain levels effects the muscles differently, so we could add a modifier of the value, or something, to more accurately portray the further training's relation to the Maximum Ability to Perform.

If we start to add stuff like recovery, nutrition, sleep, the stages of sleep, previous days of training and recover relative to later days, and we start to get something a little more pretty.
>>
>>1949003
>>1949031
>autism
>>
>>1938344
It's like having Asperger's.
>>
>>1952564
>It's like having Asperger's.
upboat
>>
>>1939136
Fuck no... the opposite I wager. If you know a little bit of ground game you can hold off submissions and takedowns by being defensive.

Good luck defending strikes against a striker though.
>>
>>1938344

I trained up to the point my coaches was suggesting if I were interested, it would be a safe challenge for me to try for an amateur Muay Thai match. I prepped up for the fight for 6 months, it's not anything big. During this time, the BJJ coach that comes in after the MT classes are done with the space asked if I'm interested in trying it out since I had already paid for the MMA gym's membership, if I have any stamina left, it's all the same to them anyways, it's free for me.

I took it up and was hooked. I've always loved MMA so when he asked if I had wanted to try out MMA sparring, I said sure, they're all nice, friendly, very capable people.

It's a very different ballgame, in MT, if I get tripped, it sucks, opponent gets a point but I get to be stood up, a couple of seconds to breathe. Even if it goes back to a clinch fighting, I don't have to worry about spending the energy to escape from the bottom, standing back up and defending or retaliating effectively. Even the things you'd have to watch out for after striking changes, since there are so many diff options for your opponent to react to you. It's super fun and for me, a lot more challenging.

It's very fun and I never did have the intention to pursue an actual career in it, I was simply doing my best to keep up with the drills and enjoying sparring with my gym mates but I can tell you... amateur MT vs amateur MMA, I think are already 2 very diff games.
>>
>>1955142
>amateur MT vs amateur MMA, I think are already 2 very diff games.
This. MMA now isn't the MMA it used to be. It's not just being put up against a Boxer when you're a wrestler, you're going to be up against hybrid fighters no matter what.
>>
>>1956906
>MMA now isn't the MMA it used to be
Is MMA now truly MMA, or is it Hybrid Martial Arts?
>>
>>1959422
MMA now is shit, but it's not as shit as it used to be.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.