[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Being that the British are big fans of wrestling, why are there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: image.gif (2MB, 382x255px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 382x255px
Being that the British are big fans of wrestling, why are there no relevant British wrestling promotions? How come Japan and Mexico have more storied histories of wrestling than the UK?
>>
>>1930741
I have always wonder this myself
>>
>>1930741
wrestling was and is a very niche market in the UK, moreso than the US or Japan. Thing is it never really grew out of that to experience that 80s/90s boom.
As a result many promotions that exist in britain now are local and will not break out into the international wrestling scene in the same way. Why? Because the promotions that exist will not merge or be bought out the same way Vince did it. As well as that, much of the wrestling talent in the UK try and make it big in Japan, US etc, so why bother?
>>
uk is shit and fails at everything
>>
>>1930787
This. Inb4 britfags mention their shitty indies
>>
UK wrestling didn't survive the transition into the smartened era. It was a total mainstream attraction in the UK in the 70s and 80s and got nationwide broadcasting. But it was always presented as a legit sporting contest. Fans knew some matches were not competitive - just like boxing fans know some bouts are mismatches where a protected guy is fed a weaker opponent.

By the time WWF arrived in the UK in about 88-89, everyone was already saying "You know it's all fake though?" And it didn't really stand up to the public ridicule in Britain. That won't change now or any time soon - probably ever. So nobody is going to put big money into a UK promotion.

Watch UK wrestling now though, and it is immensely more entertaining than modern WWE. The technique and the psychology is flawless - because it had to be: they were selling it as a competitive combat sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkk7_dfIjik
Skip to 43'30" to see some jobber called Bret Hart.
>>
>>1930825
>Watch UK wrestling now though, and it is immensely more entertaining than modern WWE.

I should say: "watch VINTAGE UK wrestling now though...."

Modern Brit feds are just cringe inducing parodies of WWE.
>>
>>1930823
>Muh Grado will make everyone notice British wrestling
>>
WCPW is already challenging WWE in the UK. This is a fact. Look at the numbers. WCPW will surpass WWE in a few months time, and after that its only a matter of entering and dominating US market.
>>
>>1930741
I forgot the name of the wrestler but he's the one who killed the British wrestling scene. I remember he politicized his way and become the longest champ (also promoted his brother despite being talentless hack) and the British wrestling scene takes a hit in the late 90's and died. Fortunately we're seeing the sudden resurgence of it.
>>
>>1930787
Their tv dramas are decent
>>
Populations,
123m Mexico
128m Japan
319m USA

UK has 64 million people we just dont have a big enough market for anything to get proper backing.

as people have said it's a niche market and gets mocked.

>>1930787
Fuck off burgerland go vote Trump and destroy your own country faggot.
>>
>>1930846
Idiot. Only fed that is close to WWE is ICW who have sold out the same arena WWE have.
>>
>>1930846
What numbers? YouTube views don't make anything compared to television views.
>>
Just thought I'd post this about ICW

>Running the Hydro in under 3 weeks in front of the biggest crowd in over 34 years of British wrestling. The biggest Scottish wrestling crowd of all time. Bigger than the crowds TNA and NXT's got at the Hydro, bigger than any ROH show ever, bigger than TNAs largest crowd in the United States and fast approaching a bigger crowd than ECW's largest ever draw. Surreal. Easily the biggest night in Indy wrestling.
>>
>>1930849
Big Daddy?
>>
File: save the tables.jpg (110KB, 600x823px) Image search: [Google]
save the tables.jpg
110KB, 600x823px
UK wrestling used to be pretty dam good until the refugees started taking over the booking.
>>
>>1930912
But he's right. ICW has been around for how long? they have no potential to even touch WWE. Its just like TNA challenging WWE, which never happened.

WCPW is the one with the most buzz and it has the biggest potential by far of any UK promotion to challenge WWE.
>>
>>1930979
Tommy 'I got over by blading' Dreamer would never get over in the UK
>>
>>1931023
What neighborhood the best little league that can take on the NFL?
>>
>>1931023
Which pizza restaurant in Brooklyn can challenge Pizza Hut?
>>
>>1930825
Who the fuck was that guy at 43:30? I doubt anything came of him
>>
>>1930870
>64 million isnt a big enough market to get 2 sweaty dudes to grab each other
Then how come half of the brazzers videos (including meme lover) are made in the UK.
>>
>>1931023
WCPW can't sell out bigger buildings when they're bringing guys like Angle, Cody Rhodes, Lethal and motherfucking Minoru Suzuki (though that's their fault for not hyping him more on their youtube channel).

They're not even in the top 3 biggest UK promotions.
>>
>>1931157
>64 million
a tiny fraction of which watch wrestling
a fraction of that fraction would seek out british wrestling rather than just watch wwe, tna. roh, njpw for their wrestling fix

are you getting the whole picture now?
>>
>>1930787
This
Worst consumer behavior ever. Everything that is shit, somehow sells at no 1 spot in UK.

>PS4
>Apple Products
>Crappy Hollywood Movies
>Crappy Indian Movies
>>
>>1930972
Sucked. Brother of Max Crabtree who ran Joint Promotions the British NWA. Couldn't move. Shit worker but was popular with working class fans. Even had his own comic strip in Buster comic. Killed the UK wrestling industry dead in the Eighties. ITN lost its TV.
>>
>>1931045
Don't have to. Local product is better. Even L&S.
>>
>>1932111
>worst consumer behaviour ever
Are we forgetting or deliberately avoiding the fact that the US exists then?

>God tier British tv
>God tier British music
>God tier British films
>God tier sport access
>>
File: 1476917533513.jpg (32KB, 357x384px) Image search: [Google]
1476917533513.jpg
32KB, 357x384px
>>1932308
>fair enough
>implying British music has been good since the 80s
>watching shitty British films with indecipherable accents
>watching actual sports

And either way, they're also retarded for stuff like the Brexit vote
>>
File: 1410211861697.jpg (26KB, 265x308px) Image search: [Google]
1410211861697.jpg
26KB, 265x308px
>The UK has never had a single WWE Champion
>WILLIAM REGAL was never WWE Champion
>Fucking IRELAND has had TWO champions
>>
and canada

where's their big wrestling promotion
>>
>>1930741
>why are there no relevant British wrestling promotions?

There are, faggot.

Insane Championship Wrestling is a huge promotion. You don't have to be WWE size to be relevant.
>>
>>1932111
PS4 is on #1 basically everywhere except for U ass A
>>
>>1933290
The WWE
>>
>>1933308
>Insane Championship Wrestling

Literally what?

Insane Clown Posse's backyard shit fest made it over seas?
>>
>>1933421
that one is called juggalo champ wrestling or something.
>>
>>1930741
The one big promotion got fucked over by the TV companies and then WWF moved in, and WCW after it, and filled the gap.

The wrestling scene is booming right now and doing better than it has since the World of Sports days.
>>
>>1933013
>accents
>brexit

yeah you hit both major bases there, i for one would say you really showed him.
>>
>>1932111
t. Buttblasted alt-right
>>
File: 1476746359514.jpg (66KB, 612x574px) Image search: [Google]
1476746359514.jpg
66KB, 612x574px
>>1932111
you mean like the rest of the western world you fucking idiot?
>>
>>1933013
>implying British music hasn't been the standard bearer since the 70s
>cannot into subtitles
>not watching sports
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.