[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any oldfags on here? I've thought for awhile that Macho

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: megapowers.jpg (213KB, 1380x920px) Image search: [Google]
megapowers.jpg
213KB, 1380x920px
Any oldfags on here? I've thought for awhile that Macho Man was the first mainstream hipster/contrarian wrestler. I can imagine kids in schools wearing their Randy Savage shirts getting bullied by the ones wearing Hulkamania shirts. People just liking him for the sake of being different and edgy instead of Hogan. It seems the Savage love got really exaggerated after his death, here's an example of what I'm talking about (of course, this was past both of their peaks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Os1uo9dNWk

Literally nobody cared what Savage was talking about, people were chanting for Goldberg and shit. Then when Hogan came out there was a big pop. It says alot when Savage dropped the title in one day TWICE to Hogan in WCW. It just seems to me that nobody gave a fuck about Savage throughout his career unless he was involved in a program with Hogan, and then when he was everyone besides the contrarians picked Hogan over him.

Of course I can be completely wrong here, I guess what I'm asking is some promos or matches of Savage that don't involve Hogan that the crowd was really invested in
>>
yes he was the first wwe smark darling
>>
I can't speak for what was going on exactly at that time but you're shitting on him because he wasn't as over as one of the top two most over wrestlers of all time, how does that make sense?

And watch Savage/warrior and the post match to see the crowd really invested in him and it didn't involve Hogan at all. You are right that most of his notable moments came with Hogan involved, but that went both ways. Hogans best feud is by far Savage, they helped each other
>>
File: 1432678342293.png (78KB, 412x351px) Image search: [Google]
1432678342293.png
78KB, 412x351px
>tfw Lex Luger fan & he had no T-shirts.
>>
>>1873050
If it came across that I'm shitting on him I didn't mean it that way, I just think alot of the Macho Man love/GOAT talk came after his death and that's why I was asking for oldfags to confirm or deny this. Like you said, his most notable moments came against Hogan and he was largely irrelevant when he didn't have a program with Hogan outside of I guess the Warrior feud (where he was again behind Hogan). His most memorable moment his WCW run was getting hit by the legdrop to set up the nWo. What else was there? A very good but upper midcard feud with DDP? It seems like he just spent his career behind Hogan and nobody really objected to it until after he died, now there's people saying he was "always better than Hogan" and stuff like that
>>
>>1873030
>WCW Macho Man

bad example
>>
File: 3fc18a699dsavageimg.jpg (99KB, 600x756px) Image search: [Google]
3fc18a699dsavageimg.jpg
99KB, 600x756px
As a kid, I remember Hogan, Undertaker, and Jake Roberts were very popular in school. Nobody cared about Savage until the nWo and everyone hated Ultimate Warrior.
>>
>>1873061
You are stuck on his WCW run which like the anon said is a bad example. He was booked completely inferior to Hogan throughout that run because Hogan had huge creative control. It made no sense for him to join the nWo after getting hit by that legdrop and yet he did. Dropping the title in one day twice was Hogan again just fucking him over.

In WWF, whenever Hogan went to film movies or something Savage was there to carry the house shows and kept business strong. Warrior failed to do this which is why they gave the belt to Hogan so fast, Savage carried the ball without a problem whenever Hogan disappeared. By far the highest buyrate of the WMs Hogan main evented was against Savage, nearly 220k more than Warrior. People obviously cared about him.

Does praise for him get exaggerated because he died? Of course, it happens to everyone. But for a long time of his WWF run he was portrayed as an equal to Hogan. WCW Savage was an abomination compared to his WWF run
>>
>>1873030
Macho Meme was shit
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>1873030
Well...

This is sort of true. In a sense of him being an outsider. /asp/ likes to go on about wrestlers being from "outlaw" wrestling companies, but Macho Man actually was such a person.

Well..sort of. Not actually outlawed. But a wrestling company which existed outside the realm of the NWA. Macho Man came into the WWF from a company called ICW which was owned by his father Angelo Poffo, and he and his brother Lanny Poffo were the main stars. Randy was the booker.

ICW was very popular and successful. It ran in the KY and TN territory (but again, was not part of the NWA). This is where I live. Randy Savage is a legend around here, much more popular than Hulk Hogan. Most people who are old enough to have watched wrestling in the late 70s and 80s hate Hogan. They like Jerry Lawler, Ric Flair, and Randy Savage. The three original indie darlings (by the time Ric became famous WWF had already swallowed the territory system).

80s smarks would have known about ICW and held it in high regard like an ECW or CZW. It was a wild and crazy promotion in the "Memphis" style which would go on to dominate wrestling in the 90s.

When Randy Savage came to WWE it was the beginning of a pattern that continues today of WWE taking the top prospects from the indies and making them into their own stars.

Small Trivia: Miss Elizabeth also got her start in ICW.

Little sampling of ICW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olq8Wj32kK8
>>
>>1873080
>By far the highest buyrate of the WMs Hogan main evented was against Savage, nearly 220k more than Warrior.

This is notable but again, it was a program with Hogan. My point was that he was largely irrelevant when he wasn't in a feud with Hogan. I keep going on about his WCW run because Hogan was even more washed up and just as old as he was and yet he drew money for years and was always regarded as higher than Savage. The average fan probably can't name a single thing Savage did in WCW besides getting hit by the legdrop, that's nearly five years of his career where he did nothing notable.

Years after he retired is when I started seeing "Savage was better in every way than Hogan" and stuff like that when this never came across for booking or crowd reactions. It could just be people who hate Hogan, who knows. He was great don't get me wrong, but I feel like people go overboard withthe impact he had or how big he was back then. I don't think he went over Hogan once in 15 years (not even by countout or DQ), and yet Warrior beat him clean three years after his WWF debut
>>
>>1873030
who is this jay lethal wannabe?
>>
>>1873092
>80s smarks would have known about ICW and held it in high regard like an ECW or CZW.

Are you saiyng old school smarks were his biggest fans? If so, that is what I was trying to get across in the OP, to me he feels like the first big contrarian wrestler that people liked just to be different.
>>
>>1873092

I'm from around there too but aside from Lawler I never hear anything about anybody unless it's about their WWF/WCW days, Savage included.

Granted I'm in my early 20's and my only real reference point for that era is my dad and his friends, but still.
>>
>>1873108
Ask them about "Championship Wrestling" sometime. There were two shows that went by this name, ICW and Mid-South (various names) each had one.

Early 20s is a little young, and your Dad might be a bit young too to have watched ICW.
>>
>>1873095
>Years after he retired is when I started seeing "Savage was better in every way than Hogan" and stuff like that when this never came across for booking or crowd reactions

To me they were neck and neck in everything except ring work where Savage blew him away so I'm not sure why you're so hung up on that. If people prefer Savage over Hogan because of "workrate" or some fedora shit like that then I guess you have a point about the contrarians but there are legitimate reasons why he is praised like he is nowadays

He was never booked higher than Hogan because it didn't make sense, like I said whenever Hogan went away Savage kept business going strong without a problem. And whenever they feuded, Savage was usually the heel so of course the crowd would side with Hogan. In a face versus face feud? It might have been different

Regarding his impact, in WCW again he didn't do much but his WCW run was shit. From about late 87-1992 (Wrestlemania 8) he was always the #2 guy besides Warriors run. Then, Vince made him a commentator and forced him not to wrestle so he was fucked there. Basically I am telling you to ignore his WCW run completely and just watch his work from the 87-92 time period. He really blew up in late 87, I think they were originally going to give Ted Dibiase the belt but Savage was so over he got it instead
>>
>>1873030
he was the first zack ryder
copied zacks beard too
>>
>>1873103
>Are you saiyng old school smarks were his biggest fans?

Yeah, I would say so. But people were not liking him just to be different. This whole concept of contrarianism in the way you are framing it did not properly exist at the time. People just liked him because that's what they liked.

To go a little further, in the 80s and 90s it was common for people to only like one wrestler and not really care about anyone else. So to say people liked Savage because they hated Hogan or because Hogan was popular is just a strange thing to say. It wasn't how people behaved.
>>
>>1873122
>In a face versus face feud? It might have been different

I highly, highly doubt this. But the rest of your post and >>1873125 are good, I guess I'll watch his old work. Admittedly I watched nothing of him outside of the Steamboat match pre MegaPowers and I've been watching more of Nitro than old school WWF so that's why I talked about his WCW run alot
>>
>>1873132
Good stuff

I can see how he comes across as a meme now, with the Skyrim mod getting big and stuff like that but he really was great
>>
>>1873030
28+
Contrarian/hipster kids at my school loved jake the snake, macho meme was just hogan's little mate

And no, savage was always a big deal and legendary guy
>>
>>1873066
This
>>
>>1873030

Macho was a smark darling. Not for any fedora tipping reason like work rate, but because he was constantly entertaining, on contrast to hogan whose act was getting stale for over a decade. Hogan always had top billing because hogan was good backstage and made vince wet.
>>
>>1873030
His voice is so fucking annoying. He tries too hard to sound cool
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.