[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think there are still styles that haven't been tried

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

Do you think there are still styles that haven't been tried properly, that could be implemented better or that just haven't been represented by a good enough fighter in MMA?

I keep thinking that that is the case for Wing Chun, it seems to work so well outside of mma, and many idiots just try to get into it without grappling knowledge.
>>
>>1823206
>wing chun
>untried

It's been tried plenty of times in mma and chun nerd gets their shit pushed in every time

https://youtu.be/hc0Gt_M16lM

>it works so well outside mma

Where?
>>
>>1823498
Without grappling knowledge it's inevitable that they lose
>>
>>1823206
WIng chun is flawed to the core.

It breaks down the second you get either someone who knows how to fight, or someone who is spirited enough to withstand the slaps.
>>
>>1823506
>grappling knowledge
What the hell does that mean? Show me a competent mixed martial artist who doesn't have "grappling knowledge." Even if a WC fag knew how to grapple, he still wouldn't have the training and the pressure testing of his MMA practicing opponents
>>
>>1823515
That's my point, almost no one can win an mma match while only knowing one striking art
>>
>>1823506
>without grappling knowledge

They lose to strikers too

https://youtu.be/6WNtL4UKcwA
https://youtu.be/zpRWtYC9HOI

They even lose to people with no training whatsoever

https://youtu.be/zxQfVFPsVCw
>>
I would really like to see a competent kun tao player in mma. It`s such a weird chimera of a martial art.
>>
>>1823206
Not styles wholesale, thinking in styles is kinda silly in this day and age of the sport, but I'm sure there's tons of interesting stuff that could be applied to MMA from a variety of disciplines to spice up someone's game and give them something unexpected. As for the Chun, I feel some of its core concepts are rather workable.

Smothering the opponent with a combination of occupying the most direct route of attack, trapping their hands and swarming them with volume are all things that are done to varying degrees in combat sports, after all. Hell even standing in a more square-on stance is a thing that happens when low kicks are allowed because it makes it easier to defend against them while standing more side open opens your leg up to getting smashed apart.

The problem, however, is that typically Wing Chun (and really most CMA to be fair) works on a ton of by now proven erroneous theories and ideas as well as fossilized training methods, all for the sake of following traditions of course, that have completely screwed up the actual practical application of the above concepts.
>>
all i gotta say is this WWE shit is infuriating

>95% of the fucking board

just make /wwe/ already or /fakewrestling/ or whatever. it isnt even a sport, its entertainment. how is it not in 1 general on /tv/? for fuck sake

there isn't even a fencing thread up right now
>>
>>1824450
Gotta say I agree with this. I mean, I really believe training in Tai Chi has improved my breathing and understanding of body structure, but I can't take some of my classmates seriously when they say I'll be a better fighter if I forget my Kyokushin/Muay Thai base and solely focus on lao jia yi lu.

I've met a lot of people here in East Asia who, with no knowledge whatsoever of other styles and no sparring experience ever, really think they could go toe to toe with kickboxers because Wushu strong or something.
>>
>>1824653
>because Wushu strong or something
Maybe that stereotype that foreigners are incapable of getting good at any form of martial arts still exists.
>>
>>1824653
I'm astounded at how people can live so close to and get constantly martially emasculated by Thailand and its fighters, nevermind Japanese and western influence, and still believe their interpretative dancing will make them a good fighter. Hell, China even has Sanshou which is a perfectly great form of kickboxing. If training in that/sparring under those rules was more common in kwoons then the community wouldn't be as much of a laughingstock as it is.
>>
>>1823206
>it seems to work so well outside of mma, and many idiots just try to get into it without grappling knowledge

A. There's no evidence that it works well outside of MMA.

B. If you supplement it with sufficient grappling knowledge it's because you've turned into a grappler who does wing chun on the side, i.e. a grappler with inferior striking who can overcome the disadvantage with grappling. It has long been known this is a winning strategy, but it isn't to the inferior striking method's credit when it wins.
>>
>>1824503

Keep up, homey. /asp/ is going away altogether. No WWE, no martial arts, nothing. Hiro mismanaged this place into the ground.

See you all in /fit/.
>>
Study krav Maga
I've been studying KM foe ten years now
Been in about a dozen or so fights.
Never touched
Not once
>>
File: lies.jpg (48KB, 600x763px) Image search: [Google]
lies.jpg
48KB, 600x763px
>>1826230
>>
>>1826252
Not a lie
I'll take you on as well if your in the NY area
I'll take anyone on actually
I'm very confident in my experience
>>
>>1826291
kek
>>
OP is now on the /fit/ infographic.
lol
>>>/fit/38933437
>>
>>1824792
It doesn't help that Chinese MMA and striking promotions specifically hire foreigners who have no or little training and pay them to lose to Chinese fighters. On top of that they promote the foreigners as holding UFC championships and inflate the records of actual fighters even.
>>
>>1826291
>I'll take anyone on actually

So how many G4P films have you been in?
>>
File: saber.png (458KB, 709x841px) Image search: [Google]
saber.png
458KB, 709x841px
>>1826347
Honestly my point was that it wasn't tried properly because they all seem to lack a grappling art
>>
>>1826419
Your point was also that the Chun works perfectly fine outside of MMA when it kinda doesn't, and for every clip of Wing Chun working we have several of the practitioner getting destroyed. Lack of grappling is just a part of it, but you don't much see people shitting on, say, Muay Thai for not having a comprehensive ground fighting curriculum or BJJ for not teaching proper punching.

Standing fully squared which greatly exposes all your sweet spots when one of the focuses on Wing Chun is supposedly protecting the center, focusing on rapid fire punches with little to no power generation to speak of (the square stance also helps to take away power from these) and doing nothing to otherwise protect your vulnerable face, the whole trapping sequences that only happen between chunners and maybe some Eskrima guys. All of this isn't exactly stellar and take away credibility from the style.

Even judging it as a purely striking art, Wing Chun is sub par. And it's not entirely Wing Chun's fault, in that many of its problems are present in 95% of any chinese martial arts training, but Chunners seem much more unwilling than most to recognize that their shit don't work as advertised. Sure you have some solid backing concepts, you can tout those all you want, but your ideas on how to implement them suck and until this is acknowledged you'll always be, at best, a shitty form of dirty boxing with some low kicks.
>>
>>1824792
There is a little bit of that, but pretty much everyone says I'm good at my Yang forms and I'm picking up Chen faster than most students.

There is a lot of making things about race, ie Han Chinese Strong ideology or people attributing my strength to my being Canadian (which is a race to some people????) and my stamina to my having First Nations blood, even though I've explained that I lift a little and box every day.

Anyway, back to thread topic, I've sparred a little with a northern mantis practitioner recently, and think the technical striking could be incorporated into training to really confuse the hell out of people with mainly boxing and MT roots, even though the guy I'm sparring with is not good at dealing with leg kicks. Generally speaking it was a lot more challenging than sparring with Wing Chun guys for me, but still easier than when I go to Sanda classes.
>>
Capoeira for meme knockouts.
>>
>>1823498
now show me a striker btfo a wing chun master one time please
>>
>>1828680
I already did here, >>1824054

Read the fucking thread
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.