[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How shit, or not-shit, is wing-chun? I've found a class

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: wingchun.jpg (388KB, 1050x1050px) Image search: [Google]
wingchun.jpg
388KB, 1050x1050px
How shit, or not-shit, is wing-chun?

I've found a class near me that I could join, but I'm completely new to martial arts and I don't really know how to tell if they're bullshitting or not.
>>
Wing Chun is a meme
>>
>>1566766
Watch ip man 1 n 2. That's how good wing chun is. Also the most used style in movies. It was designed for smaller weaker fighters like women. So they could defend against much larger stronger opponents like men.
>>
>>1566766
It's okay, but it's typically not taught well. Most traditional martial arts schools tend to be so rigid in adhering to old ways that they've lost a lot of practical application. Drills with compliant partners alone won't make you proficient at defending yourself.

If you want to learn a traditional martial art for the interest of the art, cool. Do it.

If you want to learn something to learn how to defend yourself in a simple and effective way, do an art that has real sparring. Boxing, bjj, muay thai, kickboxing, etc.
>>
>>1566766
Because of how Wing Chun is often taught with a lack of sparring, quickly developing skill applicable in hand to hand combat efficiently is lower compared to more Popular combat sports like Judo.

The martial art itself really doesn't matter too much, martial arts as a whole is pretty much the same old bullshit. It's the training methods that counts.

After developing an understanding of training methods and martial arts as a whole, Wing Chun is an excellent supplemental martial art, as is any other art.

If you're going to stick with martial arts, there's no harm in starting with Wing Chun, depending on the school.

Just don't assume that you could kill any person with a single punch just because you took Wing Chun for 5 months, and then get all butt mad about how you got your ass kicked in your first sparring match because you didn't spar with what you learned enough, and didn't learn how to apply what you learned enough.
I can't emphasize enough about how it's the training methods, not the martial art.
>>
It really depends on the lineage man. You're not going to be a sticky hands master if you're training with a guy that doesn't have a legit lineage.

Good wing chun takes time to learn and use like any martial art. Guys who are proficient with wing chun are very fast and economical with their movements. It's not nearly as bad as everyone believes it to be but the quality control means that you need to shop around for a decent teacher.

Everyone harps on Chinese traditional arts but the truth is depending on if you can find the pure stuff it can be very interesting and effective with better concepts than western applications. It's the understanding of the art that people struggle with.
>>
>>1566883

> It was designed for smaller weaker fighters like women.
I thought that was Wushu.
>>
>>1568261
Wushu was made for theatre.
>>
Op here.

To give a bit of background it's pretty much the only class that's close enough to me for me to feasibly join.
Their website claims you can
>Experience how your WingChun concepts and movements work for Self-Defence via dynamic partner interactions.
So I'm guessing they mean you get to spar.

They also state this-
>WingChun fighters respond according to the threat level of the current situation, yet WingChun does not partake in any absurd, martial arts sporting events and carefully avoids any rules or regulations, as these would only lead to a drastic limitation on one's ability to defend his or herself.
Which to me reads as "2deadly4you" so I'm fairly dubious.

I am a smaller weaker fighter, though my main reason for doing this is more personal enjoyment. It would be good to learn some decent self defence along the way, however.
>>
>>1569638
Hit the weights, GOMAD, and train in some kind of grappling
>>
>>1569638
>So I'm guessing they mean you get to spar.
It could mean that your opponent is going to strike you with a predetermined strike that will hurt you if you don't defend yourself, and you have to try and defend yourself with the concept of defending and attacking simultaneously. It doesn't mean they spar, it doesn't mean they don't spar.

>Which to me reads as "2deadly4you" so I'm fairly dubious.
Don't get all caught up in the stupid memes, it's just stupid.
They have a point. People get good at thing they train a lot, and aren't nearly as good at things they don't train.
"You don't do what you don't train" is true to an extent. To say that it's always true is stupid bullshit.

"People who train self defense are better at self defense than people who train sports" is true to an extent. To say that it's always true is stupid bullshit.

Use your brain. And after you use your brain, understand that you could be using it wrong and would need to try again.
>>
>>1566766
you're bullshitting yourself right now

>>1566769
everything has a meme. weak point.

>>1566883
>Watch ip man 1 n 2. That's how good wing chun is.
basing this on choreography sets you on an even more inaccurate path.
>Also the most used style in movies.
no, it's not. if anything your brain wants to look for it and emphasizes it in a greater regard. it sounds like you are purposely ignoring some other part of all this.
>It was designed for smaller weaker fighters like women. So they could defend against much larger stronger opponents like men.
this is true. but this does not back up your point at all because this is the only truth to your post. that comes down to the practitioner and how well they do against a bigger opponent. with this being said, the fact that the small women thing is true, doesn't give them any more of an advantage, than it does give them more of an attraction to the whole idea of becoming a practitioner. this gives the market and name a boost. it makes sense / cents. but the tradition and respect of it all will always be in legitimate schools.
>>
>Be generally interested in Wing Chun
>Look up classes in area
>It's taught by a fat neckbeard with other neckbeards inspired by Ip Man/Bruce Lee trying to learn
Maybe I just had a terrible singular experience but fuck man, that was a waste of time
>>
>>1569638
There's nothing wing chun has that is too deadly for sport combat.

They just suck. There isn't a single good fighter in any prominent combat sport of note. Your time is better spent hitting the weights.
>>
>>1570896
>There isn't a single good fighter in any prominent combat sport of note.
Single good wing chun fighter, that is.

You really think not one wing chun practitioner has thought that they can take on other fighters? For money, non the less. Search the depths of the internet, and you shall find that wing chun is nothing but cool looking choreographed dance.
>>
Wing chun is useful in its concept of redirecting a striking opponent rather than going against them head on but then again a lot of martial arts has that concept, but maybe not as heavily influenced by it like wing chun.
>>
>>1569638
Basic techniques of wing chun are fucking dumb to begin with. Their fucking stance has you standing pidgeon toed and their punches have you striking at clinch range making youre capable striking distance much shorter than that of a boxer and puts you in range to be grabbed by a grappler. Its literally makes you worse at everything.
>>
>>1571412
>Wing chun is useful in the concept of redirecting a striking opponent

boxing literally already does this and much better.
>>
>>1569638
>carefully avoids any rules or regulations

But OP, wing chun has plenty of rules. Instead of sparring, they do chi sao. Ever see somebody get kicked in the nuts in chi sao? Tackled? Even punched in the face? Ever see one guy continuously keep too much distance between him and his partner to allow trapping?

Refraining from doing all those things is just a tiny fraction of the rules of practicing wing chun.
>>
>>1566766
McGregor on the right
>>
>>1575390
Why?
>>
>>1575426
because fuck wrestling
>>
>>1566766
Total shit if you want to learn how to fight. Not total shit if you want to learn how to dance.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.