[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are belt colors in martial arts just a gimmick or is it an efficient

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: belt_colours_meaning.jpg (56KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
belt_colours_meaning.jpg
56KB, 600x400px
Are belt colors in martial arts just a gimmick or is it an efficient means of organizing students?
>>
>>1541148
Thought these were multicoloured dildos on the catalog.
>>
File: 3474-1-300x300.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
3474-1-300x300.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>>1541148
Real niggas use arm patches
>>
My Kung Fu instructor always said a belt was only good for holding up your pants and we trained in street clothes.
>>
>>1541164
what s the point if u dont even rank up??
>>
Rank is a false sense of accomplishment to keep kids spending their money at the gym
>>
>>1541189
You do rank up, you just use a patch instead of a belt
>>
>>1541164
'murica and their obsesson with military
>>
>>1541148
it's really a gimmick I asked my coach(FMA fag) as to why we even have these things when they don't indicate skill since all you have to do is do what a piece of paper tells you

and what he said was that it really is just for outsiders or people who don't know anything about the martial arts and primarily just so the parents of kids know that their kids are doing something like an incentive for doing things and it encourages the parents to send them to train some.

some exceptions are the ones going past black belt if they have those in some martial arts since you get judged on your performance by other masters not necessarily from your own type of "style" and this is where credibility comes in as a practitioner because you have to convince masters of their respective style to give you another rank higher

not sure if this is how it works on others but thats how it works here in FMA in the philippines at least in manila region not sure about the styles in the south since they're pretty different
>>
>>1541148
Once you earn the black belt it means (or at least it should mean) that you know the basics and you can start learning advanced stuff

The colors before are meh
>>
>>1541171
you mean bruce lee said tht
>>
>>1541652
Maybe Bruce Lee was his instructor?
>>
>>1541652
He did originally.

>>1541688
No but he took some training under Lee for about 5-6 years.
>>
>>1541148
They're an effective means of organizing tournaments so that people of similar skill levels compete against each other. It's not perfect of course, but it's better than having half the matches in a tournament be complete slaughters.

It's also good in the classroom, because people that are new can easily tell who to ask for help and instruction.
>>
If I had my own gym, I would only have 3 belts.

One for beginner
One for intermediate
One for advanced

I think that'd be hunkey dorey
>>
>>1541652

Who gives a shit what that B-movie actor said? He was probably jealous because he had never earned one.

Besides, I don't know about the rest of you fuckers, but my belt holds my jacket shut. I don't wear it on my pants.
>>
Belt colors are pointless. Sombo doesn't have them nor does Muay Thai. Just have a competitive ranking system where you have to prove your proficiency.

Judo and BJJ are the only ones where belt colors are acceptable because you have to actually advance to the next color through training and live practice.
>>
>>1541760
Welcome to Judo or BJJ.

If you look between the different sanctioning bodies it roughly comes out like this:
Judo
White for beginner
Green for intermediate
Brown for advanced
Yellow, Orange, Blue and Purple are all bullshit in Judo.

BJJ
White for beginner
Blue for intermediate
Purple for advanced
Stripes are all bullshit in BJJ.
>>
>>1541893
>Welcome to Judo or BJJ
>proceeds to explain why they AREN'T like the system I mentioned

If they have a bunch of useless colors and stripes, then there's more to them than just beginner --> intermediate ---> advanced, kiddo
>>
>>1541910
You miss the point. If you go to a tournament in judo with a purple belt, you are going in with all the green belts because not all club recognize the purple.

In other words, there are only three belts that matter because they are recognized between dojos, but the rest don't really matter aside from inside a particular dojo.
>>
Not sure, but I think the black belt also have some implications if you get caught by the police doing something related to not defending yourself.

At least on my country, Mexico, if a boxer is arrested, the fact he practices box can be employed for additional charges, although sometimes is hard to tell who is actually a pro and who's just a guy bragging when both parts are drunk or beaten.
>>
>>1541893
don't forget about goju, which really has the belt system down perfectly
white, green, purple, brown, black
green represents the grass stains, purple represents the blood stains, brown represents the dirt
>>
>>1541223
>Rank is a false sense of accomplishment to keep kids spending their money at the gym
People feel good about accomplishment.
People see colored belts.
Getting belts after accomplishing milestones associates the actual accomplishment with the actual belt.
When people think about accomplishments, people feel good.
When people see their colored belts, people think about their accomplishments.
Therefore, when people see their colored belts, they think about their accomplishments, and therefore feel good.
Humans see things often, more often than they think.
Therefore, humans feel better about their accomplishments more when they have belts to remind them, as opposed to just thinking alone.
>>
all comments are valid and for the most part true. one must keep in mind though what it means to them. ( the OP.) and what you study, and whom you study under. if what you study says to wear a certain color belt then do it, your the student that is your place. if you (OP) are uncomfortable with that ask your instructor if you may wear a white belt instead of a color. you and the instructor know where you stand (rank, and skill) in the training hall. focus more on training than whether or not the dye matters.
-karate-ka
>>
>>1541148
The belt system was created by based judo creator Jigoro Kano. Thought we all knew this??? Kano was a genius, just read about him for a bit and you'll see why.
>>
>>1544206

>if what you study says to wear a certain color belt then do it
>do what others tell you to do. don't have independent thoughts of reasoning

>your the student that is your place
>there is absolutely nothing that another perspective can do to add to a teacher's knowledge
>teachers are the supreme all knowledgeable beings and people will never be more knowledgeable than them
>a student will never ever be more intelligent than a teacher
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.