[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here do kendo? I found out there's an association

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1334725238798.jpg (41KB, 435x580px) Image search: [Google]
1334725238798.jpg
41KB, 435x580px
Anyone here do kendo?

I found out there's an association club in my city and I really want to try it now. I've always wanted to do a martial art and it appeals to me. What can I expect? I hear it's expensive as fuck. The association I want to join has some pretty steep fees (like 250$ for beginners for a year and then after that 80$ yearly dues plus quarterly 70$ dues) and that's not even including gear.

Any experience?
>>
Where the fuck are you living if they charge those sorts of prices? My kendo club is run at a PCYC where membership is $30 a year. I pay $7 dollars per training session. The money I pay isn't even for kendo, but for using the hall at the PCYC. I also pay $75 a year for my Queensland Kendo Renmei membership, which is only essential if you want to grade or compete.
>>
>>1170823
Bay Area:
http://www.paloaltokendo.org/?page_id=10

It's the only place around here.

Seems pretty legit but I have nothing to base it on. Maybe these fees are only for people who want to compete as well?
>>
>>1168999
That's 250 for a whole year? like $20 per month? If so it doesn't seem to be really expensive, it's just weird to me you needing to pay it all at once. I got kinda confused with the fees on the site you posted. I'm guessing they would include the training sessions, right? >>1170823 seems to pay an yearly fee and pay for the classes as well, so that got me a little confused too.

Where I train they only charge a monthly fee, and that fee rounds up to about $4 per training session, if you don't skip any classes. There's no yearly fees, entrance fees or all those other yadayadayada.

To compete or grade you also pay some fees, but it's not dealt with the dojo, but the kendo federation. And it's like an admission fee, not an yearly fee, but I could be mistaken.

You could look up your country's federation here, and then see if this dojo is affiliated with your federation: https://www.kendo-fik.org/english-page/english-page2/IKF-affiliates/IKF-affiliates.htm

Best of luck.
>>
>>1172089
They're affiliated so I think I should be all set.

I'm surprised how homogeneous the class is, fucking all asians except for one or two white guys.
>>
>>1172534
Well, then it's all right I guess.

You can expect a few blisters on you left feet. If you are not really into screaming it may feel a little awkward at the beginning, but it should pass after a while.

The bogu (armour set) is kinda expensive, but you should not need it for some months, maybe a year. And you can buy it by parts, like kote, then men, then etc...
>>
I once wanted to try kendo but I prefer full body exercises. The one dude I met that did do kendo told me that besides his front delts he remained pretty lanky so it was a no-go for me.
>>
File: shigurui_v01_165.jpg (143KB, 728x1040px) Image search: [Google]
shigurui_v01_165.jpg
143KB, 728x1040px
>>1173709
>besides his front delts he remained pretty lanky
dyel tier
>>
>>1173373
>If you are not really into screaming it may feel a little awkward at the beginning,
Fug.

I'm normally really quiet and not a screamer so that's only the only thing I feel apprehensive about.
>>
>>1174415
Oh yeah, chouyaku-suburi might be a little tough also, if you are as uncoordinated as I am.

But the rule is: practice.

I guess.
>>
>>1174415
>I'm normally really quiet
That just makes it better.
When you scream it will shock your opponent.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.