[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm having a little trouble switching from kick boxing to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: BLLeadLinDumTek.jpg (69KB, 573x720px) Image search: [Google]
BLLeadLinDumTek.jpg
69KB, 573x720px
I'm having a little trouble switching from kick boxing to MMA. The grappling I'm practiced in is illegal in most amateur and even professional leagues since the grand master only taught me grappling for self defense in emergency situations, that is outside of clench and throw from the clench. I'm OK it the clench, but my real strength my ability to go from a traveling punch with my right to a nasty roundhouse kick to the kidneys or back with my left in one smooth motion. My legs are ambidextrous. Unfortunately I'm told that outside of Kyuk Too Ki and Savate a kick that wraps around to the back is illegal. Is there a way to knock the person back more with the punch without sacrificing power from the rotation? So I can assure that the leg strike lands legal? So far I've just been told that they've never seen someone do that before. But then the city I now live in is hardly an mma hub. The lack of leagues here is one of the reasons I'm switching. The other reason is that I'm getting older and my ankle isn't what it used to be. MMA fights are shorter. If you are knocked down from a blow to the head there isn't even a count. That certainly makes for a faster fight. As far as my ground game goes I'm working on learning legal moves like the crucifix and arm bars that don't involve twisting the wrist or pushing with my legs to pull the arm out of the joint.

I'm 36 so this is all teaching an old dog new tricks. I can't just abandon everything, a lot of the combos are automatic at this point. It's hard to change your flow.
>>
First of all, literally none of this ever happened.

But also, if you're 36, it's time to start thinking about finding a nice dark cave to crawl into and die, not about starting a new contact sport.

What happens when you get kicked in the colostomy bag or you slip a disc or shatter your hip?

Your kids and grandkids will have to look after you and that isn't fair to them.
>>
>>1103947
You're trained in an actual practical martial art? Just keep it up. Fuck impractical, fake martial arts that people only like because of TV. Practicality > Sport
>>
>>1104641
>First of all, literally none of this ever happened.

This.
>>
>>1103947
Nothing wrong with a young middle aged guy having some fun.
Just be persistent, you just stated MMA, right?
How long have you been doing MMA?
>>
>>1104921
>middle aged
>36
>>
>>1104953
Alot of men die in their 70s
>>
>>1104960
Fair enough.
>>
>>1103947

You should do BJJ.

This "teaching an old dog new tricks" is bullshit. I started Judo when I was over 30 to get more well rounded and I had a graet time the last years.

But since you already are worn out from the full contact standup, BJJ will be softer to your body. So stop your excuses and learn real grappling.
>>
>grand master
>clench
>36

Too late breh
>>
>>1105043
>This "teaching an old dog new tricks" is bullshit.
Actually, relative to an adolescent, the brain of an adult is less plastic. Because the brain is less plastic, the brain's ability to create new neural pathways, which do many things, including enforcing memory, is significantly lower. It's significantly lower, but it's not completely gone.
However, the structure of the adult brain is more efficient with the components it already has. The adult that has memorized something is able to recall it much more quickly than an adolescent who memorized something. Memory is also stored more strongly, so kept memories are kept better.

The more you know.
>>
>>1105043
Your an inspiration and one great human. Congrats on all your success. It comes from passion and hard work. Well deserved. Thank you.
>>
>>1105911

Neuroplasticity is one factor among others..

It's in important one, no doubt. You pick up things faster when you are 20 then with 30.

But there are other important factors:
Generally there are guys who pick up things faster than others. Some scientists call that "bodily–kinesthetic intelligence", but it doesn't really matter how you label it. You'll always find a lot guys in their 30s who will learn faster than other, more clumsy guys in their 20s.

Another factor is body mass. Everybody has a differnt bodymass index, but generally you could say that with 20 oyu are more "ottermode", with 30 you are more "built" and with 36 you are more "bearmode". Of course this is an oversimplification, but you know what I mean. This is not a problem for fighting itself, but it can be a problem if you think about weight classes. (Again, weight is a very specific field for every fighter, some guys are natural skinny, some get a lot bigger after 30..)

Another factor is bone density. The bone density of men peaks about 30 then it declines. But it delines veeery slowly, so you could say it's the same for someone 20 y/o and 50 y/o.

A more important factor is regeneration time. "Getting old" means - first and foremost - a slower regeneration time, slower healing and so on, a tad slower muscle gaining. And yes, there is a difference between 20 and 30 and 40. But again other factors come into play here. "Older" fighters need more discipline to keep in shape or maybe some more time to get fit, but that's about it.

Another thing is flexebility, it's harder to get/stay flexible with older age. But then again this depends on your "natural flexibility" and on your prior experience. Generally we could say that stuff that requires a lot of flexibility (i.e. TKD) is getting slightly harder for some people above 30.

So the bottom line is: some things change, but you're not "too old to learn full contact fighting", especially when you did something athletic in your 20s.
>>
>>1105957

Hahaha, thanks man!

I'm trying my best.. ;-)
>>
>>1103947
>My legs are ambidextrous
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.