[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New judo general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 286
Thread images: 80

File: double spike.gif (4MB, 334x216px) Image search: [Google]
double spike.gif
4MB, 334x216px
New judo general
>>
File: Uchimata-sukashi (counter).gif (2MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
Uchimata-sukashi (counter).gif
2MB, 360x240px
>>1065423
>>
>>1065426
>>
File: drop seoi tun vs kaz.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
drop seoi tun vs kaz.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>1065433
>>
File: drop seio.gif (2MB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
drop seio.gif
2MB, 245x180px
>>1065438
>>
File: judo in the streets uchi mata.gif (1MB, 260x190px) Image search: [Google]
judo in the streets uchi mata.gif
1MB, 260x190px
>>
>>1065453
>>
File: 10itle.jpg (86KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
10itle.jpg
86KB, 427x640px
>tfw you do a drop seoi nage in a street fight and leave the guy sleeping on the pavement

This is something I want to do once in my life.
>>
File: judo self defense tai otoshi.webm (2MB, 738x416px) Image search: [Google]
judo self defense tai otoshi.webm
2MB, 738x416px
>>1065456
>>
File: judo round off counter.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
judo round off counter.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
File: ronda vs cat angle 2.webm (2MB, 952x528px) Image search: [Google]
ronda vs cat angle 2.webm
2MB, 952x528px
>>1065467
>>
>>1065464
This is just like my chinese cartoons

Korean deliquents are great
>>
>>1065479
personally i think this move looks like out of an anime or vidya>>1065423
>>
hopeless faggot from the last thread here
apparently I'm a natural at uchimatas
showed it to me, did it perfect first try, all the black belts were super impressed that I did it and don't need any corrections

..still can't seionage tho
>>
File: uchi mata counter round off.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
uchi mata counter round off.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>1065467
>>1065469
>>
>>
>>1065642

Oh well, I'm always a littel bit cautious when somebody says he "can do" a throw, because there's usually more than one way to do a throw (koshi uchi mata, ashi uchi mata) and a lot of differnt setups. And even if you can do a throw, it's still another story to actually use it in randori..

But I don't want to be asshole here.. It's nice that you found a new throw foryourself!

Some guys say that every Judoka is either more of the Uchi Mata type or the Seoi Nage type. I think you found out which one is you.

Nevertheless, my coach always says that Seoi Nage is a very important thow because it teaches a lot of basics. So of ycourse you should devellop the throws you like, but also keep on trying to get the hang with Seoi Nage.

Sometimes a throw seems totally awkward until one day you get a sudden enlightening and now the throw works like a charm..

Seoi Nage was one of the first throws I learned and hated it for about half a year. Then I decided to finally make it usable. At home I packed my trekking backpack and threw it over my shoulder for five minutes everyday. I also tried to observe myself the best I could: Where were my feet going? Was my upperbody twisting? Did my head lead the throw or not? And most important: did I have enough pull?

I'm still a Kyu, but for what it's worth, I think the most important part at the Seoi Nage is the pulling hand, if you mess it up the whole throw won't work..

Nowadays Seoi Nage is one of my all time favorites, because it has works from a lot of situations and there are just so many differnt ways to do it, with differnt grips, steps and distances. I could probably do it in 20 differnt ways and that's not even much.

So good luck, it's actually a very simple and beautiful throw, once you got the hang.
>>
>>1065426
Recently did that with a heavyweight. The look on his face was priceless.

Same goes for me though, because I didn't really expect it to work that well. It's quite a thing to see a heavyweight do a full flip in mid air.
>>
>>1066268
Agree with the sentiments in this, I'm glad that >>1065642
has found a throw they've found some success with in training, but it's definitely important to remember that practicing it and throwing it in randori or shiai are different. Start working on your entries and set-ups and make it a dangerous part of your arsenal.

Seoi-nage will come to you later, once you understand the basic bones of judo, you'll start to draw parallels between different attacks and see that the fundamentals apply across the board for a lot of different throws.

On a personal note, these last couple of weeks have been bad, anons. I injured my lower back in a completely unrelated manner, and I whereas I've been coaching, I haven't been able to do any serious randori, lifting or any cardio while I rest it. All I can do at the minute is walk to try and get it better.
>>
>>1066334

Get well soon, anon!

I have two stories of friends who never got seriously injured in martial arts training but were out of action for weeks because of basketball..
>>
>>1066345
Thanks anon!

I'm going stir crazy as Judo and training is pretty much my only enjoyment in life.
>>
File: like so.jpg (9KB, 298x231px) Image search: [Google]
like so.jpg
9KB, 298x231px
>>1066334
last night this one guy was trying to do ko soto gari or something on me, he ended up tripping himself like a dope but he held on to me so I got pulled off balance as he fell behind me, so I started to fall back. as he falls he bends his knee and plants his foot on the ground instead of spreading out, I fell back on top of him and took his knee to the middle of my back.
Immediately all the other matches stopped and everybody ran over because they saw it go down.
looked something like pic related

he dusts himself off "sorry, I should have let go"
yeah no shit asshole
>>
>>1066541
Sounds nasty anon, there's a few coloured belts at my club that do something similar when they try tani otoshi but are basically just hanging off the gi.

My back problems are a reoccurring thing from years of not looking after it when I was younger, occasionally I hurt it again and have to rest.
>>
>>1066599
Not that anon, but man, I like tani otoshi but I feel really nervous doing it. I've had some success with it, but last time I tried it in randori basically every black belt started going WHOA WHOA WHOA at once. White belt btw.
>>
>>1067457
>
>>
>>1065426
The longer I look at this the weirder it looks.
Can someone explain a beginner why blue is falling over? It's like he's stopping mid air after failing his Uchimata and then decides to jump forward on purpose without white doing anything. I looked at some other Uchimata Sukashi videos and after moving the leg out of the way there's always a counter movement. But here there's nothing, white doesn't seem to do anything and blue isn't using nearly enough force to lose control so much to cause him falling over. Is white just working with his arms that much?

What's going on in that gif?
>>
>>1068101
White is doing something, he's moving his hip off the leg and driving with his arms, and with Blue having committed fully to his attack, it's enough for him to go full circle.
>>
File: For You.jpg (83KB, 589x570px) Image search: [Google]
For You.jpg
83KB, 589x570px
>>1066541
>I fell back on top of him and took his knee to the middle of my back.
Was he a big guy?
>https://youtu.be/rDuetklFtDQ?t=218
>>
File: 1415052212268.jpg (125KB, 1173x652px) Image search: [Google]
1415052212268.jpg
125KB, 1173x652px
I'm interested in getting into Judo, what should I look for in a school? All of my local ones seem to cater primarily to families/children.

I'd like to train seriously, i-it's not like I want to grapple sweaty jailbait or anything.
>>
>>1068866
>I'd like to train seriously
I don't know if you realize what you're asking for here. Judo means the gentle way
this is however a lie, likely meant to trick people into thinking its a fun way to get exercise and make friends
>>
File: sweating samurai.jpg (55KB, 544x800px) Image search: [Google]
sweating samurai.jpg
55KB, 544x800px
>>1068866
>i-it's not like I want to grapple sweaty jailbait or anything
>>
>>1065798
MISSION STATS: FUCKING SICK
>>
>>1068101
>blue isn't using nearly enough force to lose control so much to cause him falling over
He is - especially given what >>1068181 says, as this redirects his force so that the momentum generated by his own leg now moves his right hip to his left shoulder. Which, indicentially, is the exact same movement as a forward breakfall.
>>
>>1065469
did ronda rousy do the same thing in
>>1065798
>>1065467

what's this called when you flip like that and how can you train it?
>>
>>1071741
>what's this called when you flip like that and how can you train it?
It's called fucking gymnastics, nigga.
>>
I just started judo less than a month ago and I pretty much suck, which seems to be normal.
What are some good ways to improve on my own, outside of the gym? Which fitness or conditioning programs would you recommend and is there a way to practice techniques on my own?
I don't have a specific goal, I just want to improve as quickly as possible. Currently I have 3 trainings a week but feel like that's not much.
>>
>>1071947
Work on strength and conditioning off the mat, you want explosive strength and the endurance to use it, so find a training plan that works for you with that.

My advice would be to not work on technique outside of training right now, you're pretty new and you don't want to be drilling bad technique.
>>
File: 1454279013094.jpg (181KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1454279013094.jpg
181KB, 750x750px
Why can't I find anywhere that teaches judo? It's only bjj places here
>>
>>1071981
Where are you based, anon?
>>
>>1071986
Southeastern Michigan
>>
>>1071989
Sorry anon, britfag here so I'm not sure how much I can help, but here's a list of clubs by state on the USJF site. I don't know if any of them are near to you or not.

http://www.usjf.com/find-a-usjf-affiliated-dojo/listing-of-dojos-by-state/#MI
>>
>>1072000
Thanks for the link, anon
Also nice trips
>>
>>1072000
>the closest place is either 25 or 30 minutes away
Someone just shoot me
>>
>>1072040
But that's pretty close,it sometimes takes me an hour to get to mine.
>>
>>1072041
Well I guess I should count myself lucky then
>>
>>1071741
its called gymnastics and having a neck of iron
>>
>>1071964
Right, thanks.
>>
my hands hurt very much, they are stiff and feel thick in the joints on the inside
a-am I on the verge of sweet grips?
>>
>>1072185
Sounds more like you're on the verge of RSI.
>>
If I'm just starting at 19, would it be too late to be able to compete at any point? Obviously too late for the Olympics or any world champ stuff like that, but still
>>
>>1073026
>19
>old
you will be a black belt before you're 25
>>
>>1065935
that's classic japanese jujjitsu
>>
>>1065423
Isn't throwing someone on their neck called spiking and isn't it illegal in olympic judo? why weren't both these guys DQed and what's the point of that throw seems like its dangerous for both of them. I really hate how the Olympics have warped judo. If they did that in the streets both of them would be dead, Its so unrealistic

Same issue I got with olympic tkd
>>
>>1073258
I don't think that would count as spiking someone because it was avoidable. the guy in white chose to not tuck his head. I don't think you can penalize someone because their opponent refused to fall properly
>>
thoughts on this ogoshi variation?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7BJ3NhOj9E
>>
>>1073475
>just dumps him instead of holding on and guiding his fall
she would be immediately thrown out of a tournament on the spot is how I feel about it
>>
File: 1398621203819.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1398621203819.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>1073475
not exactly ogoshi but you can label it whatever generic koshi waza you want.

That variant of hip toss is pretty popular in the current meta game specially with the women's division and lighter men's weight division where that type of hip jocking is common for a scramble.

if i recall correctly its a sambo throw introduced by the Russian and Georgian team

Give me a bit to dig around but there's an offensive variant with an over the top shoulder grip that doesn't really need to rely on scrambling, its more of a first strike/grab and go variant. and is popular in the current meta game of judo
>>
File: 1398621667090.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1398621667090.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>1073503
here's the throw i was mentioning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTpP6KKoBNA

personally i prefer this angle of attack, ronda's technique is good but more situational but is a great go to to win a scramble. The throw i am showing is good for an opening attack or opening an offensive series

>>1073499
huh?
>>
>>1073505
she doesn't guide him through the throw, she lifts him off the ground and chucks him, you aren't allowed to do that
>>
File: tchirikishvili_-_ura_nage_360.gif (2MB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
tchirikishvili_-_ura_nage_360.gif
2MB, 300x168px
>>1073508
'm sorry but i think you're mistaken.
, there's nothing in the current rule set that says anything like that, I'm trying to think what rule you're confusing. That demonstration throw would be counted as ippon,

would someone in the international circuit let her do something that sloppy? probably not but there's no rule against what she did.
>>
>>1073519
Thinking about Ronda's technique, and going over the round off's (gymnastic reversals seen in;

>>1065467
>>1065469
>>1065798
It's not poor technique cause she would get DQd or whatever silly notion, but a good meta player will do a round off, without Ronda following gripping or following/falling uke. If you notice

at the 53-54 sec mark of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7BJ3NhOj9E

when ronda has uke elevated if uke is versed in rounding off, since Ronda lets go and loses the grip there's a fleeting window of opportunity for them to twist their body or post on an elbow or neck to prevent ippon.
>>
>>1073499
>getting dumped is too rough for you
When did judokas become such pussies?
>>
File: 1457903152867.png (1MB, 934x682px) Image search: [Google]
1457903152867.png
1MB, 934x682px
>>1068762
>>1068917
Alright, I guess I'll give it a go anyway. If it's too kiddie-oriented, I guess I can always try BJJ. Wish me luck!
>>
>>1073529
wtf is that guys ukemi
>>
>>1073779
woops, meant for >>1068876
>>
File: sankaku-jime.jpg (356KB, 900x637px) Image search: [Google]
sankaku-jime.jpg
356KB, 900x637px
Will I get good (enough) at judo if I can train four times a week (with no strength, endurance or technique training off the mat), or would I need to train more? I don't plan to compete seriously.
>>
>>1073475
>>1073503
>>1073505
The throw is Ushiro Goshi.

>>1073519
Not quite true, the throw has to have 3 qualifiers for ippon, power, control(!!), and a clean landing flat on their back, you can't pick someone up and drop them on their back like that.

On a personal note, injured back anon here, today was my first day back in the gym after 18 days of rest, did some swiss ball work and some leg work, then finished off with uchi komi. Glad to say that everything feels ok, so slowly and steadily I'll be getting back into it.
>>
>>1073809
good enough to do what?
to do judo? of course.
>>
>>1073809
Yes you would. You'd get even better if you put some strength and endurance training in there too.
>>
>>1067464

Is this Yoko Gake?

>>1068101

> It's like he's stopping mid air after failing his Uchimata and then decides to jump forward on purpose

That's not totally wrong..
White gets his leg free, so blue has lost the leverage but can't stop the movement anymore.
Now white continues the momentum by pullinh blue's sleeve downwards and moving into him. Blue realizes that he has lost the control and will fall anyway, so he decides to jump into the throw. He's probably trying to make a flip, because if he manages to make a full flip and lan on his legs (or at least on his ass), because that way white wouldn't get an ippon and win. It's a sort of "emergency escape".

>>1068876

>Judo means the gentle way
>this is however a lie

Hahahaha.. this is the best thing I've read here for quite some time.

>>1071741

>what's this called when you flip like that and how can you train it?

It's basically just a cartwheel..

I wouldn't recommend it though, because if you mess it, up you will break your arm. It's not worth it, just accept the ippon and keep your arm. Thank me later.

>>1072040

You could learn a language on the way. This way you learn Judo AND spanish at the same time!

\o/

>>1073475

It's rather an Utsuri Goshi variation. The momentum goes backwards and then changes in mid-air, that's exactly the Utsuri Goshi principle.

>>1073809

No, unless you train 7 day a week for 14 hours it will be totally worthless.
>>
>>1073888
Utsuri goshi.
Utsuri goshi is the switch throw, Ushiro goshi and "just dumping them backwards", kind of like ura nage with no sacrifice.
>>
>>1073963
You're right anon, just looked it up and that's exactly it.
>>
>>1068876
>Judo is the gentle way

This always bothers me. There's a lot more ways to translate ju besides gentle and a lot of them I feel are more accurate. Ju also means soft, pliancy, and maliability. Basically meaning to be able to change and adapt based on the force applied
>>
>>1073967

There are serveral theories..

You could argue that JuJitsu is a very old art and maybe the original meaning of Ju was that it's indeed nice to "only" break someone's leg instead of slicing him with your sword.

Another thing I read is the translation of Ju as "the art of giving way" - in contrast to hard martial arts (i.e. karate) where you just block someone's "way". I think this is also an accurate description:
>You want to move to the left? OK, just let me block your feet so you fall on your face..

You're not gentle, but you let him have it "his way" - with minor changes.
>>
How in shape do I have to be to start judo?
>>
>>1074085
To start - not at all.
You will slowly be introduced to the fitness shit as you need it, but it never really gets "easy". You just fight better people, even pros run out of fitness.
>>
>>1073505
Once you're lifted up in the air like that can you do anything or are you fucked?
>>
>>1073475
>>1073503
Utsuri goshi like >>1073961 said.
>>
>>1073508
Yes, you are.
>>1073888
Yes, you can. Any judge will call ippon if uke lands like that in a competition.

It was you who took that nasty knee to the back, by the way?
>>
>>1074135
>Yes, you can. Any judge will call ippon if uke lands like that in a competition.

No ref will score a totally uncontrolled throw.

>It was you who took that nasty knee to the back, by the way?

No, that was another anon, I hurt mine in a totally unrelated way.
>>
>>1072000
>>1072041
Hey anon, I just want to thank you again
Turns out there's a place over here who's instructor is an 8th dan and was head of the US Judo Federation for a few years
>>
Just got my yellow belt, so happy guise
>>
>>1073249
so classic its never been done before or repeated
>>
>>1075026
Congratulations anon
I should be doing my testing for orange belt in a week or two
>>
>>1075083
Thanks and good luck to you. They don't test for colour belts in my place, just for the black belt you have a written and practical test.
>>
>>1075101
our testing for colour belts are very simple, just need X hours in class then know the names and how to do the throws/pins/chokes needed.
>>
>>1075083
but orange is for babies!
>>
>>1073505
>>1073475
>>1073503
>>1074128
>>1073961
what's the name of that wrestling move you grab the opponent from the back with grabble grip on his hips, then you step toward your grip, thrust your hips and lift him?
>>
>>1078351

suplex?
>>
I know its really irrational and I shouldn't give a fuck,but it took me 6 months for me to get promoted to the next belt but some guys in my dojo got promoted after being around for 3 months .

I don't know why I am bitter as fuck. good for them
>>
>>1078594
Have you tried not being shit
>>
>>1074139
If you think landing on your opponent is bad form in competition you are incorrect.
>>
>>1074085
if you are overly fat or obese lose weight first or you will piss off everyone else at the dojo and no one wants to roll with you
>>
>>1078919
No, landing on your opponent is preferable, dropping them off your hip with no control, just as Rousey did in the video, is bad form.
>>
File: Bad_Ukemi.png (440KB, 679x408px) Image search: [Google]
Bad_Ukemi.png
440KB, 679x408px
>>1074109

>Once you're lifted up in the air like that can you do anything or are you fucked?

The only thing you can try is change your weight distribution. If you get your center of weight away from the point where the Tori lifts you, the leverage gets longer and you "get heavier". Here you can see Mifune using it a few times - or maybe not, because it's a subtle thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFXbuszijCM

But that's the thought behind "Utsuri Goshi": You try an Ushiro Goshi, but the other guy feels it coming and puts his weight to the front. Now you have lifted him, but can't generate enough momentum to the rear, so you just change the direction of the throw in mid air and throw him in front of you.

>>1078956

You're wrong.

Apart from the fact that Ronda is 4th Dan and olympic Judoka (don't you think she knows pretty well how to throw someone?), you can see the controls the controls the landing by grapping the lappel until the BJJ dude touches the floor.

It's not even a sloppy throw, it's very technically and absolutely controlled.

But I guess what looks like "the lack of control" to you is the fast turning of the body. Notice that the body does a complete 360 degrees turning from the hip to the floor, so naturally it's pretty fast.

>>1078594

Don't compare yourself to others. You have to walk your own way. But if you feel veyr sad, maybe jsut tell your Sensei about it? Sometimes it's not intentional, but people are messing it up. And if you Sensei tells you "they were good at this technique, but you sucked" then at least you know the point where you have to put effort in..

>>1075026

Congratiulations!

White belt is really a terrible colour, I was so glad when I got my yellow. The more you learn, the less important are belts.
>>
>>1079027
>you can see the controls the controls the landing by grapping the lappel until the BJJ dude touches the floor.

She never grips the lapel, she has his belt and his sleeve, both of which she drops as the guy goes over her hip. Watch the video again.

>It's not even a sloppy throw, it's very technically and absolutely controlled.

It wasn't me who said it was sloppy, I said it was an uncontrolled landing, which it is, because she drops the guy over her hip, she doesn't follow him to the floor, or maintain a grip on the sleeve.

>But I guess what looks like "the lack of control" to you is the fast turning of the body.

She doesn't do any fast turning of the body in that video, the control is all over her hip, and the turn is relatively small.
>>
>>1079027

Sorry, I meant she controls the sleeve, not the lappel.

Not my first language.. :)
>>
>>1079032
Well that invalidates part of my last response.

And actually, I've seen that screenshot you posted and you can see she has the sleeve. I guess I'd have liked to see her maintain that grip longer, in competition, i still think a ref would have a hard time scoring it if they missed that sleeve grip.
>>
>>1079031

>She never grips the lapel

See: >>1079032

>it was an uncontrolled landing

The guy lands in a 100% correct position on the side of his body. It's not Ronda's fault if he can't devellop enough body tension.

>or maintain a grip on the sleeve.

She keeps it up until the guy has landed and then let's go. Nothing wrong with that.

>and the turn is relatively small

I meant the turning of Uke.
Look at the position on the hip and on the floor, he spins pretty much 360 degrees on his long axis.
>>
>>1079035

You are right that she lets go the very moment he touches the floor. So it might look "uncontrolled".

But let's not forget this is a demonstration. In a competition she would probably have followed though anyway, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weBnt1jpXvA
>>
>>1079040
Then I guess my point is that I don't like her demonstration technique, when I demonstrate a throw I always maintain my grip and show how to control the throw all the way to the floor, as that's how you'd use it in competition.
>>
>>1079044

Fair enough.

I agree that she could have done the demonstartion thow in a nicer way. But then again this a BJJ group, so I guess she's a little bit of a rag here for the lulz.
>>
>>1078594

Belt colours dont matter until you hit black
>>
>>1079027
>Ronda is 4th Dan and olympic Judoka (don't you think she knows pretty well how to throw someone?)
I also think she takes every opportunity to look tuff >:( because she's the most insecure person I have ever seen

I have a problem with how hard she threw him, period, since she did so without warning after he was nice enough to entirely comply and let her hike him up on her hip like that
if you want to throw someone at full speed do it that way from the beginning, don't slowly go through the set up of the throw (the difficult part) and then slam the unsuspecting person with full force at the end
>>
>>1079343
you're making an argument of nothing to be honest. From judo to BJJ to wrestling this happens time in time, does it make her a bad person no.

And you can tell the way their both laughing and having a good time no offense was made. God you're autistic
>>
>>1079352
she would at the very least get a stiff warning at my club not to pull that shit again
what she did is equivalent to saying "let me show you the way I punch, lift your arms for me" and then I haul off and gut punch you at full power after you unwittingly exposed yourself expecting me to do it slowly
>>
>>1079357
you run a club? ronda and her mom have some clout in the american judo community and are decently respected, they have been butting of heads but overall a lot of people want ronda to do her armbar clinics, and she spends time teaching children.
>>
>>1079380
>you run a club?
it is a group effort composed mostly of past their prime judo players that still want to get matches in, and jiujitsu players that want to play for fun and not dude mma bro. it's only open for 3-5 hours a day because there aren't any formal classes, whomever happens to have the highest rank in the room at the time runs things.
The majority of judo players at the club fall between 1st-3rd dan, one guy is 4th dan
jiujitsu is less so, it's mostly white and blue belts, a few purple and brown belts which usually run the class. 3 black belts (should be 5 but we didn't have a black belt for a while so our browns couldn't get promoted in house), one is 3rd degree from machado.
There is however talks of putting official instructors on payroll and trying to turn it into a for profit business since the space is available with nobody using it for most of the day.
>>
>>1065464
This was fake btw
>>
>>1079889
How was it fake
>>
I feel like we need a list of resources and a pastebin for FAQs in every OP for the judo threads.

A lot of "can I get good starting at 20?" posts recently, and there's a ton of YT resources to help with waza and grips, should hopefully make the discussions a little more focused on actual judo!

In the meantime...
>length of training
>how many days a week
>rank
>favourite throw
>favourite pin/submission
>current goal

For me...
7 years
4 days a week
1st Dan
harai goshi
juji gatame
Currently working on a competition set up yama arashi, using big kizushi and ouchi to enter in for a big pull and dip.
>>
>>1081571
>yama arashi
How good is this legandary throw?
>>
>>1081641
Great if you can set it up properly, it's big ippon judo. You really need to focus on the small details of the technique to make it work, you need to have good kizushi inherent in your judo, and you really need to think about how your footwork comes into play, you can't muddle through it and hope for the best. For me, after I have my kizushi and my grip, my right knee drops towards the ground (but doesn't touch), and my left leg shoots through so it's further back than my right leg, from there it's a big drive and twist.
>>
>>1081641
>>1081644

Someone has a gif of Yama Arashi?
>>
>>1081653
Found this
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOKXdMSgiZU
>>
>>1081653
>>1081687
I know it's no gif though. Could try making it into one or a webm
>>
Has anyone here ever used resistance bands for tandoku renshu/shadow training? If so, how strong (min&max resistance in kg/lbs) were the bands?

Looking into ordering some bands to go with my new home gym, but unsure about how strong they should be.
>>
>>1081689
>>1081687
>>1081653
>>
File: counter rush drop seoi nage.gif (1MB, 400x213px) Image search: [Google]
counter rush drop seoi nage.gif
1MB, 400x213px
>>1081571
>20 years
>3 times a week
>2nd dan
>tokui waza is tai otoshi, ouchi gari
>newaza is kata gatame and juji gatame
current goal is getting reffing certs and keeping my wrestling interested in judo long enough during off season
>>
File: ronda uchikomi.gif (3MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
ronda uchikomi.gif
3MB, 400x300px
>>1082548
My wife is big into cycling. And I'm a cheap ass. instead of getting those resistance bands i use the inner tubes of her old tires. They break after a 2-3 weeks, but they're easy to get ahold of, a lot of bike shops tend t toss them out. You can ask them to give them to you for free. Keep in mind i do about 100 uchi komis morning and evening so it wears the rubber quicker.

I've used the elastic bands at gyms before and the quality of the material is sturdier. So they're worth investing. Can't really say strength range. or weight range to look for with the name brand ones.
>>
>>1081653
>>1081687
>>1082779

Thanks!

I should have been more precise:
Has anyone a gif/video of a decent Yama Arashi in Randori or even better: in a real Competition?

I always thought of Yama Arashi of a meme throw, or as some people like to say: Yama Arashi died with it's inventor.

So I'd really like to see one in action, especially since I don't quite get the details of it. To me it looks like a Tai Otoshi (or sometimes Harai Goshi) with a slightly different grip..

>>1083270

You're the Wrestling and Judo coach?
You should go namefag, I like what you are writing..
>>
>>1083333
Competition Yama Arashi has some similarities to a double lapel seoi nage, I'm the anon training it and I'm not using a tai otoshi style leg, my right knee is dipping towards the floor as I load them on my back, and then my left leg is shooting further back for the drive.

Euan Burton used to use it a bit, he got a big ippon with it in 2010 Dusseldorf GP against a polish guy, so you might be able to find that online somewhere.
>>
>>1083346

Thanks!

Is this the match you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKQXiiIVp_c

To me this looks more like a Drop Seoi..

But I found this description of the original Yama Arashi:

"Tori moves his body up and down to pressure Uke backward. In response to Tori's controlling movement, Uke tries to push forward to regain his position. When Uke tries to come forward, Tori picks up Uke's body on his shoulder in full speed and sweeps Uke's right ankle like a Haraigoshi (a gust of wind). It can be considered a combination technique of Haraigoshi and Seoinage (the thumb of the hand grabbing the collar can be inside or outside of the collar)."
>http://kodokanjudoinstitute.org/en/waza/digest/15/

So this look a little bit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUtv8P032pI

But (if we want to be totally anal about technique) the lifting leg is missing, it should actually look like this, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHePzoviPaE

Sorry if I'm annoying, I'm just trying to get the concept..
>>
>>1083356

OK, I also found this interesting comment:

"Uke is 'made tall' by tori, who then takes position himself and blocks uke's foot at the shin with his sole (which is different from Harai Goshi). While tori's hands guide uke down, tori's leg prevents uke from overstepping, he doesn't sweep upper tigh vs upper tigh though. (...) If somebody came up with this throw today, it probably would be declared either a Tai Otoshi variant or a Harai Goshi variant with and odd grip and more/less hip contact than usual."
>https://www.reddit.com/r/judo/comments/3bnwet/yama_arashi/

That's pretty much point of view I described here: >>1083333
>>
>>1083356
You're not wrong that it looks more like a drop seoi nage, but the description you posted has a pretty great line about the throw being almost half way between the 2 throws.

I think one of the things to remember about a throw that is technically correct in terms of syllabus, and a competition throw are often different. Uchi mata is a good example with the use of the control arm, Judo Lab did a great breakdown here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZJcx2ppyB4

And another throw is reverse seoi nage. It's not in the BJA syllabus at all (unsure about other countries), but it's still a legitimate throw worth learning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ubS5Ktg4zk
>>
>>1083366

>a throw that is technically correct in terms of syllabus, and a competition throw are often different

Absolutely!

That's why I wrote I don't want to be annoying. It's often a rather philosophical question wether a throw is this or that. If you get the Ippon - why giving a flying fuck?

But as I said, some people say that there is no real Yama Arashi anymore, that's it's more of a unique variant of an outstanding Judoka of the past.

For example some years ago ther was this guy from uzbekistan or georgia who had a veyr crazy Uchi Mata, where he lifted the other guy in the air on his knee before turning for the Uchi Mata. If I remember the name I will post it.

>reverse seoi nage

Haha, funny, we trained this throw last week among other variations..

What I found interesting is that the korean seoi nage is pretty damn close to Aikido's Shihonage, it's just a matter of gripping, but the direction/positioning is the same.

Oh well, sometimes I wish someone would find better categories for the Judo throws, it often seems very arbitrary where one throws ends and where the next one begins.

The biggest Judo secret is that there are actually only 4 distinct throws, the rest are minor changes..
(-;
>>
>>1083384
I find it funny with most judo throw translations are just descriptions "sweeping hip", "body drop", "major outer reap" etc, but then Yama Arashi is "mountain storm".

>But as I said, some people say that there is no real Yama Arashi anymore, that's it's more of a unique variant of an outstanding Judoka of the past.

Absolutely, and I think the idea of the lines blurring between what throw is what is an interesting one, like the difference between koshi guruma and harai goshi, when drilled technically you can see the difference, but when used in randori, that leg always comes into play, at least for me anyway.

>For example some years ago ther was this guy from uzbekistan or georgia who had a veyr crazy Uchi Mata, where he lifted the other guy in the air on his knee before turning for the Uchi Mata.

You mean the Mongolian lift? It's starting to get some traction in international competition now, the bigger georgian guys are using it, as well as the kazak's, mongol's and uzbeki's. When my back is fully recovered i'm planning on drilling it myself.
>>
>>1073249
Is that soto kaiten?
>>
>>1083390

>You mean the Mongolian lift?

No, but now I found out..
It's the Uchi Mata of Zantaraya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHnw4uhdP04

To me this throw is something completely different than an Uchi Mata. Now if this 130 was years ago and Zantayana would have been a big player and friend of Kano, maybe they would have called it "Spring Fountain" and made it a distinct throw..
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 736x981px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 736x981px
>>1083270
>tfwI wrestle and now I'm doing judo while I have a little bit of down time since we bar my have an offseason
I strive to be like you, anon kun
>>
File: 1455346921291.jpg (191KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1455346921291.jpg
191KB, 500x500px
>tfw you will never be an Olympic judoka
>>
File: legal te guruma angle 2.gif (2MB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
legal te guruma angle 2.gif
2MB, 360x203px
>>1083420
>Uchi Mata of Zantaraya:
I've been calling it the mongol lift but that's the same throw.

Besides the reverse seoi nage and no leg kata gurama, its the 3rd "new" technique introduced to judo since the leg ban rule have been implemented. Its always neat to see how the elite of our art push and evolve the style by introducing new components . People crap on the rules, but honestly in my mind's eye implementing bans is good for the art in some ways, by forcing coaches and players to adapt new techniques and strategies and in turn it keeps the art from stagnating. I know its been discussed to nasium the negatives of the new rules, but people hardly ever talk about the positives and there are quite a few.
>>
File: legal te guruma angle 1.gif (2MB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
legal te guruma angle 1.gif
2MB, 360x203px
>>1083919
>>
>>1083928
>>
File: kouchi makikomi.gif (687KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
kouchi makikomi.gif
687KB, 240x180px
>>1083936
all these throws i am posting are throws people ignorantly thought were "Banned" because of the no leg grab rule, within the past few years people have developed new gripping arrangements and angles of attack to still use the moves without leg grabbing
>>
File: kata gurama.gif (1MB, 420x234px) Image search: [Google]
kata gurama.gif
1MB, 420x234px
>>1083941
>>
File: reverse seoi nage1.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
reverse seoi nage1.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>1083955
>>
love the gifs
>>
File: no leg kata gurama.gif (768KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
no leg kata gurama.gif
768KB, 360x360px
>>
>>1065423
Lmao, it's like gravoty stop working for a minute.
>>
>>1065467
He fucked himself and ended up on bottom. Gotta wonder if it's because he had whizzer instead of underhook?
>>
>>1065798
Amazing
>>
How long before you guys manage to git gud and manage throws on the reg during randori?
I'm only a white belt/yellow tip whose been training for 4 months. I've managed a couple good sweeps, but I've only ever really cleanly thrown someone once. I'm usually one of the only white belts at training though and I understand that it takes time to git gud.
But how long did it take you guys?
Also I come from a purely striking background if anyone can offer brotips
>>
File: dashdavaa_mongol_lift.gif (1005KB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
dashdavaa_mongol_lift.gif
1005KB, 260x146px
>>1083919

>I've been calling it the mongol lift but that's the same throw.

Does the mongol lift officially count as Uchi Mata? I honestly don't know.

But I'd say there's a difference, the Zantaraya Uchi Mata starts as mongol lift (with the knee raising Uke) but then Tori turns his upper body away from Uke and ends it as Uchi Mata. Again, we could probably argue for hours about that one, no need to.. :-)

>in my mind's eye implementing bans is good for the art in some ways

Yes and know.
You effectively remove whole branches of strategies, because a "leg grab Te Guruma" can (and will) always be different from a "no hand Te Guruma". Just think about a counter against Uchi Mata, much more effective it is to grab the (outstreched) leg. Or does any Judoka still know how to use Kani Basami, the setups, the counters and so on? No.

On the other hand you are of course right. Just like Greco-Roman wrestlers are MUCH better in everything concerning the upper body than freestyle wrestlers, because if you have the option to just take his legs, what do you do? Exactly, go for the easiest target.

>>1083941

>all these throws i am posting are throws people ignorantly thought were "Banned" because of the no leg grab rule

But they would be much easier with leg grabbing allowed. I bet you could also drill a Seoi Nage with only one hand (in fact Koga has thrown Seio Nages with one hand injured). That doesn't mean it's a way of making Seoi Nage a better throw when you do in one handed.

>>1085694

>How long before you guys manage to git gud and manage throws on the reg during randori?

Depends on the group. And depends on how you do randori.

If you start among a group of competitive greenbelts, then it will take longer than if you start along with other white belts. If other guys always train with full resistance then it will take longer than if they let you throw them because they go only 30%. Just focus on 1 or 2 throws and get good with them. Than add others.
>>
>>1073779
>tfw her body is hot but she has a bit of a manface

I...
>>
>>1087367

It's OK to feel puzzled.
Just take your time for your coming out.
>>
>>1085694
I've been training 4-5 years, and although I have cleanly thrown some people in competition/randori, I still end up with yuko/wazari throws all the time.

Ippon throws aren't going to always come for even the best players. All the gifs and webms in this thread are showing only a small percentage of wins. Olympic matches have come down to a basic throw scoring a yuko in golden score.

If you come from a striking background, I'm wondering if you're lighter on your feet and prefer side/foot forward stances. Work on stability and a strong stance, and use your foot work to move around your opponent and to also move your opponent around.

Don't feel like you need to get that throw in straight away. Although a quick technique can surprise some, often people will end up doing a poor technique and be easily countered. Pace yourself and be loose.

Work on not getting thrown. Feel how you're getting moved, and see if you can't stop a throw happening, or even try to counter it.

Ask for help. If a throw didn't work, ask why. Find out what your opponent felt when you tried it (maybe they felt you hit into them, changing their balance and making that seoinage not work). Find out other ways you could enter for an attack (along with pushing and pulling, sweeps and hooks are good for this too).

These tips are assuming a lot about your abilities, but come from seeing a number of issues judo beginners usually have.
>>
>>1083955
How can the kata guruma be done without the leg? Should I attack it from a 2 on 1? I love the fireman's carry in wrestling and I'd like to carry it over to judo so any advice is much appreciated
>>
>>1087725
search for "legal kata guruma" on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrNCH3wk56c
>>
File: duck under.gif (2MB, 500x265px) Image search: [Google]
duck under.gif
2MB, 500x265px
>>1087725
The legal variant of kata gurama now the no leg grab is more a kind to your duck under takedown. So as long as you can hit your duck the same motion applies

There are 2 tweeks now to your duck (the gripping and the sit out finish) where as in wrestling when you hit your duck under you don't care about guiding uke onto their back, you duck and they face plant. With the use of the gi now, you can use your kuzushi to lead them.

If you watch the highlight reel from >>1087892
you'll see a majority of players modify the two on one by having same side sleeve and lapel.

One neat variant is at the beginning of the highlight from 0:38 to 040

you see tori let go off the lapel grip, and instead of grabbing the leg he grabs uke's belt, the component of kata gurama are still there, using the sleeve hand to complete the wheel motion and rolling him off his soulders.

The last tweek though is as you do your duck under, you're sitting out with your lead leg, this provides extra off balance for uke as you trip them over the sit out leg.
>>
File: duck under benson henderson.gif (2MB, 500x201px) Image search: [Google]
duck under benson henderson.gif
2MB, 500x201px
>>1088291
so to drill the no leg kata gurama, practice your duck unders and practice your sit outs, after drilling them get your partner and practice the hand motion of setting up the 2 on 1. remember in the rule set once you have the 2 on 1 you have to grab and go, or be penalized
>>
File: duck under sumo.gif (2MB, 371x209px) Image search: [Google]
duck under sumo.gif
2MB, 371x209px
>>1088299
>>
File: no leg kata guruma yoko gake.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
no leg kata guruma yoko gake.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>1088307
>>
Anyone ever get high before going into the dojo?

Did it last week and never had so much fun in my life
>>
>>1088353

I'm not particulary against sport and (soft) drugs, but I can't imagine a tough Judo training while being high. Maybe in NeWaza, but for TachiWaza?
>>
>>1085726
Thanks man!
Yeah, the place I train is pretty big on competition and stuff so a bunch of the guys orange and higher compete regularly.
>>1087715
Thanks so much dude, appreciate it heaps.
When I train I try to focus more on getting my throws and garis right. There's a couple green belts I train with who I'm easily 10-15 kg heavier than but I make the conscious effort not to just use my strength and weight advantage and focus on clean technique.
It's just a little disheartening at times, being the one that usually ends up on the ground. Like I get that it's kinda ridiculous for a white belt to throw a black/brown/blue but I'm a perfectionist and it just bugs me. Just one of those things.
But I do love judo, and I really find that the community is super friendly and keen to help out beginners.
>>
Seems dumb, disrespectful, and probably unsafe.

Would probable get thrown out for trying some bullshit like that.
>>
>>1088636
what are you talking about?
>>
>>1088291
>>1087892
>>1088299
Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>1088636
????????
>>
>>1088640
>>1088662
probably referring to >>1088353
>>
File: te gurama to kick to the face.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
te gurama to kick to the face.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
can i get the guy making webms do this one of a half guard sweep from last night's UFC?

http://rutube.ru/video/5202caf81473115b6966748e66cfc594/?bmstart=6

from
5:55 to 6:10

small enough to post on other boards
thank you in advance
>>
>>1089764
Why the fuck did Lombard go for a fucking leg lock? Completely retarded
>>
>>1089846
it was off a scramble
what's interesting is the leglocks Lombard does are more sambo based, using scrambles and throws to launch the offensive set, whereas a lot of BJJ based leg lock offense is from various guards such as inverted guard, spider, 50/50

Lombard rushes the pace of the scramble and that let to a HUGE botch and positional lost
>>
File: sambo kani basimi to knee bar.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
sambo kani basimi to knee bar.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>1089846
i'll say this, a lot of people look at sambo foundling without understanding some of the inherent weakness the style has and its not a knock on sambo which is a great style, but just a matter of fact. sambo has a leglock game not found in judo or bjj however compared to the guard pass and slower pass leg lock game of BJJ, sambo's leglocks have a higher chance of failure based off the set ups of scrambling and aren't as "metalicious"

done right they're great and beautiful to watch, botched and you're in a real rough spot, as seen with hector

https://youtu.be/K_c3Py7lXqM
>>
>>1089916
>crab legs
>ever
I mean I'd you want to destroy your opponents acl's or something
>>
>>1090073
i think the point of leg locks is to destroy part of your opponent's leg
>>
File: 1445733981202.jpg (30KB, 640x469px) Image search: [Google]
1445733981202.jpg
30KB, 640x469px
>>1089846
>>1089886
Based off Sambo? I don't think that is an accurate statement. Partially based off Sambo? Sure. Hector used to train with Erik Paulson (who happens to have the license plate: "leglokr"). Erik's leg locks are based off of sambo and catch wrestling.

The Imanari roll is not a BJJ maneuver. It comes from the same lineage as Paulson's leg locks. Should be pretty obvious since Imanari is Japanese.

The other thing people don't really understand is what kind of Sambo? For example look here:

>>1089916
Depending on how the flying leg scissor is executed, it can be really high percentage or more of a shot in the dark. If it was off a single leg defense, the odds of landing it are much higher than just jumping in for it.

Also you must note that the .gif here is International Sport Sambo. See how she goes right into the kneebar? The best finish from that attack is going into an inverted heel hook, preferably entering into the saddle position(aka honeyhole aka 411). However, this technique is not legal in Sport Sambo. You always have the option to then go to the kneebar.

A lot of the Sambo goes who train for American Sambo, nogi, or for MMA have much better leglocking systems due to a different ruleset.

The leglock that Lombard went for was in fact a good entry to a potentially high percentage leg lock position. I think he was too tired to work the next transition off the defense you see there.

I would like to emphasize that typically entries into kneebars are far more risky than entries into heel hooks. Again, you cannot heel hook in International Sport Sambo.
>>
File: 1440189672770.jpg (65KB, 509x361px) Image search: [Google]
1440189672770.jpg
65KB, 509x361px
>>1090106
Just remembered the term I was trying to think of. American Sambo=Freestyle Sambo
>>
File: sambo ankle no tap.gif (2MB, 500x254px) Image search: [Google]
sambo ankle no tap.gif
2MB, 500x254px
>>1090106

I appreciate some of the correction however i want to say something about Lombard and Cuba's judo community.
Before Lombard even trained with Paulson he learned his leglock game from Cuba's Judo community and Cuba has had strong ties with Russia having their teams cross train with the other, which is how Cuba's Olympic squad has strong newza and a huge influence of leg locks from cross training with Russia's judo and sambo team. Lombard is atypical for an international judo player having leg locks, but for Cuba's team very typical. I hate name dropping but one of the few Olympians i've had the pleasure of training with more then a few times was Cuba's Israel Hernandez, he's a uchi mata/ seoi man but was showing off some neat sambo based leg locks
>>
>>1090141
I want to add its probably a battle of semantics because you're correct and there's huge influences for Lomard's leglock game, from his BJJ black belt to his judo credentials/sambo, and catch wrestling.

I remember when he first blew up on the MMA scene people were talking about his leglock game since he was winning his beginning matches with that only, later on he was KOing people.
>>
File: 1451931747868.gif (277KB, 240x287px) Image search: [Google]
1451931747868.gif
277KB, 240x287px
>>1090141
>>1090147
That's interesting. I did not know that. I just know Erik so that's why I know what I do about it.

Semantics aside, I do think it is important though because the rule set really influences how you work your leglocks, and thus your leg lock game. Obviously with pretty much any style of Sambo they also don't have as much time for ground work so they really dive after stuff.

In my opinion, the guy that really has the best information out there on leglocks right now is Reilly Bodycomb who is an American Sambo guy who competes in nogi. He might not be the absolute best leglockers around as you could see with his loss to Eddie Cummings, but he really has the best details on teaching leglocks. He is very good at explaining a lot of the small details, transitions, and recoveries. He also really understands the nogi/BJJ angle.

There are some stuff he lacks, like I've gotten some super solid kneebar details and some other unique entries from Keenan Cornelius, I've picked up some great stuff from watching Eddie Cummins and Garry Tonnon, and I've learned a lot of top oriented catch style leglocks from Erik Paulson/my coach (they had the same coach).
>>
>>1090293
I forgot which of the BJJ leglock guys was it, but i want to say its Garry Tonon has some great wrestling and its nice to see a BJJ player use wrestling more then just takedown but for its mat work, mat control and ground scrambles.
>>
File: 1457621420095[1].jpg (2MB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1457621420095[1].jpg
2MB, 1000x1414px
>>1096122
Definitely Gary. He's a great all around grappler, that's why I like him so much.

I'm not sure why on earth he agreed to grapple Palhares though. Either way, it will be fun to watch. Really looking forward to the whole event.
>>
>>1096133
I think there is some drama there right? Didnt Garry Tonnon imply or say something that Paul Harris's leglock guys is simple or simplistic and over compensates by hurting people and he wanted to expose that?
>>
File: 2007_gymtour[2].jpg (89KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
2007_gymtour[2].jpg
89KB, 450x450px
>>1096138
He said that. I don't think it was drama, but was an accurate statement. Eddie said that when they were coming up with their game, they initially based a lot of it of Palhares.

I would said it is accurate though. Palhares has a few set ups that he is super duper good at. Gary and Eddie have a much more diverse leg lock game.

It's not a criticism really. Palhares gets the job down and is really good at it. Nobody likes him for holding submissions though.

Initially, I thought Eddie was supposed to be the one facing Palhares, but I guess it is Gary. Either way it will be exciting.

Fuck, that entire card is amazing. Completely blows out Metamoris' upcoming card.
>>
>all these gifs
Shameful.

Taking .webm requests
>>
>>1096221
awesome good to see you again
not exactly judo but could you make some wrestling webms, specially on LHW Phil Davis and his implementation of the cradle into pin.

I got a long list of judo, sambo and wrestling that i would love if you could make into webms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HzDZw_l9ZA

6:20 to 6:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdOt_KF6eVg

7:34 to 7:52

https://youtu.be/9cEr2SIzm7o

1:54 to 2:04

https://youtu.be/apMignot9rI
for this one can you combine the following 2 time frames into one webm
a) 8:38 to 8:43

b)8:49 to 9:00

https://youtu.be/I7o901FB3D4

0:31 to 0:54
>>
>>1096260
and this entire youtube

https://youtu.be/P-PVuYPGsTk
>>
>>1096133
Are you going? I was considering it but I'm going to be in germany at the time now.
>>
>>1096287
No, I'm just going to watch the broadcast.
>>
File: diving driving ouchi takato.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
diving driving ouchi takato.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>
File: choke knock out.webm (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
choke knock out.webm
2MB, 500x281px
>>
File: Papinashvili kata gatame.webm (2MB, 640x368px) Image search: [Google]
Papinashvili kata gatame.webm
2MB, 640x368px
>>
move
>>
>>1090141
>name dropping
>israeal Hernandez

Breh, that guy used to do clinics like every other month it seems. Nanka won't stop blowing up my email inbox with that stuff.
>>
>>1096260
bumpying for those webm requests
>>
>>
File: BJJ MASTER Larry Papadopoulos.webm (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
BJJ MASTER Larry Papadopoulos.webm
3MB, 320x240px
>>
File: black.hoody-500x500.jpg (70KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
black.hoody-500x500.jpg
70KB, 500x500px
>pic related should be the new modern Judo uniform
Agree or Disagree?
>>
>>1097899
>>1097928
what's going on here?
>>
>>1097944
Just one guy strangling another.

Honestly there's nothing I hate more in Gi-training than chokes.
>>
File: Homer-simpson-chocking-bart-1.jpg (25KB, 292x311px) Image search: [Google]
Homer-simpson-chocking-bart-1.jpg
25KB, 292x311px
>>1097953
didn't know you can choke people standing thought it was against the rules or something you would see in aikido. how can you even choke someone standing? seems more complicated yet faster then the homer simpson choke
>>
File: Nakaya Ude Gatame.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Nakaya Ude Gatame.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>1097966
They're using the collar of the gi to strangle them.
>>
>>1097940
agree. adding the hood on the hoodie will add more choking options also using it to to blind you opponent
>>
>>
>>
>>1097968
nice
>>
>>1097968

One guy pulled that on me last week, that shit hurts.
>>
>>1068866

just find a place that has like 2-3 people your weight division/size and a few good black belts that know decent enough technique

just ignore the losers that come to dick around
and practice throws and do randori
>>
File: judan.jpg (11KB, 400x272px) Image search: [Google]
judan.jpg
11KB, 400x272px
Old school judo was really classy.
>>
File: 19600000a7981koizumileg.jpg (305KB, 700x560px) Image search: [Google]
19600000a7981koizumileg.jpg
305KB, 700x560px
>>
>>1098578
>>1098581
judo is a weird mix of being a traditional martial art and a sport martial art, i really think its rather unique like that.
>>
>>1098791

You don't think the Muay Thai dance is also traditional?
Or what about Krotty, much more rituals than in Judo?
>>
>>1098840
muay thai is way more sport theres no tradition or kata like aikido or karate or judo

ill give you karate though it doesnt seem as sporty as MT or olympic judo
>>
>>1098791
>i really think its rather unique like that.
Everybody forgets it´s also supposed to be a science and art.
BTW:Interresting artikel.http://brunocarmenisjudoblog.com/1271/judo-without-grips/
>>1098840
You are right
>>
File: post-2347-13466904612091_thumb.jpg (9KB, 152x250px) Image search: [Google]
post-2347-13466904612091_thumb.jpg
9KB, 152x250px
>>1098578
Sure?
>>
File: akiyama osto.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
akiyama osto.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>
File: Englmaier ashi waza baku 2015.webm (1MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
Englmaier ashi waza baku 2015.webm
1MB, 720x405px
>>
File: Papinashvili sahi waza.webm (877KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
Papinashvili sahi waza.webm
877KB, 720x405px
>>
>>1088353
One of the brown belts always smells like pot and talks about how he needs to learn to relax more for judo.
>>
File: seoinage.png (199KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
seoinage.png
199KB, 1200x900px
>>
SO i had acl/meniscus surgery at the end of october and its been about 4 months. I recently got back into judo but when should i go back to doing randori and taking throws? For now i have just been doing uchikomis and some light ne waza.
>>
I started training at a judo dojo to work more grappling, both stand up and ne waza into my fighting and round it out cause I also box and do karate. My main question is how would you work a lapel grip into a no gi situation? Just an underhook?
>>
>>1101912
Lapel grip has a weird equivalent to either being a neck tie. If you have high lapel or. Over hook underhook for mid lapel grips
>>
>>1101558

2 weeks than light randori
>>
I've been thinking about how judo is fought at the top level during today.

A few years ago we used to see a lot of international level judoka throwing to win by any means, the goal wasn't ippon but rather to just get any point to win. Whether this was by pressuring your opponent into multiple shido's or by a yuko here and there, doesn't really matter, it was more about playing the "game" rather than striving for the kill.

But it seems to me that in recent months we've been seeing a shift in philosophy from a lot of the really top end of judoka. It's pretty well known that Japan have always strived for big ippon judo, and it's cost them some results before now, but with the likes of Georgia and Mongolia especially bringing in these big new lifts, or even just perfecting older techniques like Ura-nage and Uchi-mata sukashi, we're starting to see a shift towards more big ippon judo.

For me then, this is nearing the perfect time to re-introduce new leg grabs rules. Personally I'd like them to be an overall part of the game with no need for counter or secondary attack rules, but I would be equally happy to see them brought back as an aid for a throw that has already started being executed, look at how Koga used his trailing arm through his one armed seoi nage and sasae tsurikomi goshi, that doesn't affect how posture is used in a Judo match, and it allows for a bigger spectator spectacle (which is what the rules were made for anyway).

I agree with the earlier anon who said about rule changes bringing about ingenuity from the more creative players, I love seeing things I've never seen before in the sport, but it doesn't mean we have to erase parts of our sport to achieve them.
>>
>>1065433
thats a kata guruma
>>
File: 1437925922811.png (188KB, 335x347px) Image search: [Google]
1437925922811.png
188KB, 335x347px
>>1075026
>tfw still a rokyu after 2 years because my dojo never has a dedicated promotion time
>tfw 2 days before belt exam i tore my acl and still havent been promoted
>tfw little kids are passing me
>>
>>1105507
My dojo runs judo as a Co curricular activity with some schools and forgot that I go independently so I didn't get to go for gradings,
A guy who I've been going longer than is orange, and I'm still a white. hang in there bro.
That said the belt doesn't matter as long as the skill is there, but I get the want to up belt lel
>>
Anyone Britfags know any good clubs in Southwest or West London? Preferably ones without long contracts. I'm on a 5 week break from uni but I wanna keep training, as well as having a place to train over the summer.
>>
>>1106525
Budokwai?
>>
>>1102237
what does light randori include as far as techniques go?
>>
>>1106942

Just watch your ass..

Tell your training partners about the injury, take it slowly. Don't try to get the ippon, just try to get back into the game and don't expect to be on the same level as before. Give it some time, and you'll be good on no time. Rush it and you'll be out again.
>>
>>1106942
Anything your knee allows you to do without regretting it either then and there or the day after. Still to very light randori or yakusoku geiko.
>>
>>1105507
>>1105799
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm3ikyMzMlA
>>
>>1104788
>now that judo finally is good lets bring back what made it shit in the first place
>>
>>1106627

Is that place any good? Ever trained there at all? Looks like a dream as far as location goes. I'm just worried about training at places that are all about heritage and tradition, as in my experience there's 90% of mcdojos.
>>
>>1108315
old judo is best judo
its what pure judo is
olympic judo is gay
>>
>>1108519
>Don´t even know what judo realy is.
Judo is changing all the time.Every generation is and should change it.As long as the core of judo remains the same.
Do you know what the core of judo is?
>>
>>1108315
Are you implying leg grabs made judo shit? Just watch any of Koga's fights and tell me they're not entertaining to watch, and that they don't adhere to the core spirit of Judo.
>>
>this
keku now i know what triggers you judocucks
>>
>>1108504
It's literally the home of Judo in the UK. Gunjo Koizumi who brought judo over to the UK in 1918 founded it.

It teaches other things there now, but that's mainly to keep afloat in modern day London.
>>
Im watching a class later and i have some concerns. How long do i stay? Will i just be watching? Anything to look for in case of McDojo?

Its a school for competition and they participate in northeast tourneys. They even have guest workshops from that big judo school in japan. So im not that concerned about it being mcdojo i just hope its something i can get into as a beginner.
>>
>>1108792

This dank McDojo meme..

The chances to find a Judo "McDojo" are almost nonexistant. Judo has a fixed curriculum and continous sparring.

Just jump into it and find out for yourself.
>>
>>1108956
yeah i figured

think 2 days of class is good btw? like 2 hours each. night shift sucks.
>>
>>1108968

Two days a week are the bare minimum, three would be better..
But for the beginning it's ok. When you start something new you need more time to recover (physically) and more time to process all the new movements (mentally). After some time you might want more days to intensify your training.
>>
So how do I counter stiff arm-ers and gripfight myself out of a disadvantageous position?

I'd often find myself caught at the end of another dudes arms and getting stuffed when I try to push in for a throw. Most of the time this ends with me getting swept or hit with an Uchi Mata or some other kind of hip/leg throw.
>>
>>1109038

>http://beyondgrappling.com/4-easy-techniques-to-defeat-the-stiff-arms-in-judo/
>>
>>1109038
>So how do I counter stiff arm-ers
Armbar.Be careful
>>
File: 1454789714903.jpg (24KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
1454789714903.jpg
24KB, 432x432px
Is Judo for heavy people only?
I weigh like 60 kg.
>>
>>1113370
have you not seen any of these webms a lot of them are heavy weights
>>
>>1113421

So Judo is not for me?
>>
>>1113424
judo is for everyone according to its inventor
>>
>>1108780
>are you implying
The guy I quoted argued that we're finally seeing positive changes in the sport after they banned leg grabs and that's why we should bring back leg grabs.
I implied that this reasoning is stupid.
>>
does being sore from a class of judo ever go away?
>>
>>1113625
Soreness is a sign your shit's fucked up. When your body tells you it's fucked up, you fucking rest.
If you don't rest, you end up like Wu-style Tai Chi Chaun.
>>
>>1113370

There are weight classes. If you are very light you will fight light people in competitions.

And yes, small/light people can apply Judo very well. You need to be quicker and have better technique (which is just the result of training more), but smaller people can kick bigger people's asses.

>>1113625

How long do you train?

The first days/weeks after a longer period of resting, being sore is normal. Its a sign that you'Re building up muscles. After than you shouldn't feel bad the day after a training. Of course sometimes you hurt yourself a little bit or overdid it, but usually you should feel good.
>>
>>1113581
Well the guy you quoted was me, and I said that we had seen some innovation, but that we should still push forward without blocking out huge pieces of our past. I don't want to see bent over judo all the time as people stop trying to have their legs grabbed, but being DQ'd from a fight for touching someone's leg midway through a sasae tsurikomi goshi is pretty shit.
>>
>>1113716

>new strategy for next Judo competition
>I do a high jump
>the other guy instinctivly touches my legs
>guy gets DQ'd
>reapeat
>all guys get DQ'd
>win tournament
>win olympics
>Judo organisation eventually bans high jumps against the opponent, but it's too late, I already won the title
>>
I wish my judo club had better member retention.
the new people tend to duck out after 10 weeks.
Its so much fun and i wish i had more people to spar with.

is judo popularity bad these days? i thought itd be more famous since its a olympic sport
>>
>>1114376
Judo is getting eclipsed by BJJ each and every day. BJJ is easier on the body than Judo.
>>
I'm really enjoying my judo at the moment, started a few months ago and very eager to improve. However, I'm finding it hard to progress I feel because of my strength/stamina.

We usually do Randori at the end of a session and we get to go against the teachers (2nd dans) who let you try and do what you want until you stop attacking.

I know I shouldn't be doing greatly against them but I find myself unable to get close and I'm not sure if it's purely due to weight difference.

They are around 90-100kg and I'm 70, what makes it worse is I find myself gassing out rather quick which is frustrating.

Can anybody recommend some exercises for beginners to build up the required stamina/strength? I train once per week so kinda need to fill in the time between sessions.
>>
>>1115247
Any HIIT is good for endurance for judo. Hill sprints, running stairs, rowing machine, etc. But even more important is remembering to stay loose. Being stiff takes more energy and makes you gas way faster. The stiffer you are and the more muscle you use instead of technique, the more energy you expend.

The former is stuff you can do on your own, the latter is basically a function of mat time. Just focus on staying loose during uchikomi and randori.
>>
Anyone ever do a no-gi Tomoe Nage?
>>
>>1109032
ha... went in to work today and my hours are cut to pieces. well at least i have 4 days for judo now while i sort my life.
>>
File: tomoe nage.gif (3MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
tomoe nage.gif
3MB, 240x180px
>>1115459
>>
>>1115456
Gassing out is easy. Just get running. Even short runs regularly will make give you far more cardio stamina then you need.
>>
>>1115247

> I find myself unable to get close and I'm not sure if it's purely due to weight difference

I know that feel..

But you're wrong. You don't need more muscles to make them moving, you need better Kuzushi.

When you learn a new technique and try it against someone lighter, you can overcome a lot of mistakes (i.e. bad positioning, wrong hands) with power. If you opponents get heavier (or starts resisting) these mistakes will beome more obvious.

Don't make the typical mistake to resort on more power to get things working. If it doesn't work, take your time and try to figure out which part is wrong. Did you lift him enough? Work both hands together? Is you hip close enough? Is your body upright? Are you losing power by a bad posture? Are you pushing too far not enough? Where are your feet? Where is your head?

If you can't throw him, don't enforce it. Just play arround and try to make him move. Try to get the flow, try out differnt stuff (hips lower/ higher, more pull/more lift). And be patient.
>>
>>1100924
Got anymore infographics like these?
>>
>>1118185

I understand this a lot more after last night's session. Wasn't a lot of people there so I spent 2 hours learning uchi mata. At first I was having the same problem I mentioned in the first post (same opponents as in 90kg). I think my issues are trying to throw people without making them move first, so it always felt like dead weight. It all came together in the end though.

tl;dr after two hours I pulled off a couple of pretty nice uchi matas which felt really good.

Safe to say I'm aching a bit today.
>>
can someone explain the difference between de ashi harai and sasae tsurikomi ashi to me?

the place I go doesn't give me lessons, they just gave me a list of moves to learn if I want to play
>>
>>1119317

>the place I go doesn't give me lessons, they just gave me a list of moves to learn if I want to play

What?!?

I have never heard anything like that. How are you supposed to learn a throw without lessons..?

Anyway, about the differences of the throws:

>De Ashi Barai (a.k.a. De Ashi Harai)

You sweep his foot away sideways (almost like a kick) right before he lands OR right after he raised the foot. Imagine you step on a soap in the shower, that's the feeling.

>Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi

You pull him towards you while preventing his foot to move. Imagine tripping over a wire.

>Harai Tsurikomi Ashi

Close to Sasae, but instead of pulling you move into him and actively push his foot backwards. It's looks a littel bit like a "backwards De Ashi Barai", but you still use Tsuri-Komi-movement (lifting him and pulling). For De Ashi Barai you don't need this.

>Hiza Guruma

Exactly like Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi, but instead of the foreward leg you block the rear leg. Since your own legs are not 10 miles long, you naturally block at his knee (since you can't reach the rear foot) and the pull feels a little bit differnt. The principle is the same though.
>>
>>1120550
>The principle is the same though.
That´s wrong.Because it has a different princible it has a different name.You can theoretically do a hiza gurama on the ankle and a sasae on the the knee.
>>
>>1120550
>The principle is the same though.
Almost, but not entirely. Technically, sasae requires you to pull uke's arm horizontally then straight down, while hiza guruma requires you to pull down at an angle from the start.
>>
>>1120550
>How are you supposed to learn a throw without lessons..?
I guess by watching videos and asking questions on the internet

all they do is randori at this place, everyone is already a black belt or a brown belt preparing for a black belt
I don't think its a school so much as it is a club for people that are already established
>>
>>1121474
Sounds like a bad dojo. Can you go anywhere else?
>>
>>1121637
nope. and judo seems /easier/ than karate because it doesn't seem like you need to be in any kind of shape to do it
>>
>>1121699
>and judo seems /easier/ than karate because it doesn't seem like you need to be in any kind of shape to do it
I feel offended right now.Plus with that attidude you will not get far in anything.If something is hard than doing it has more value than doing the easy stuff.Change that please.
>>
>>1121764
I'm just saying pretty much everybody I have seen who does judo has a belly. Physical conditioning doesn't seem to be paramount.
in fact it seems to me that being fat could be beneficial in judo
>>
>>1071981
I have the opposite problem.
>>
>>1121865
>I'm just saying pretty much everybody I have seen who does judo has a belly.
They don´t work out enough
>in fact it seems to me that being fat could be beneficial in judo
It can.But musklw are more benficial.
This is how a judoka should look like.
>>
>>1121865
>Physical conditioning doesn't seem to be paramount
It´s fucking essential
>>
File: judoka.jpg (37KB, 285x394px) Image search: [Google]
judoka.jpg
37KB, 285x394px
>>1121865
a lot of decent judoka are fat maybe the casual hobbiest but man most judoka ive seen specially aremeans are fucking walkin bear mode strong non belly will jack you up
>>
>>1121637
Maybe for beginners, but that sounds like an excellent dojo for advanced people.

>>1121699
>it doesn't seem like you need to be in any kind of shape to do it
You're in for an unpleasant surprise. Sure, you can start out while being out shape, but that's where it ends.
>>
>>1065423
Just started judo, learning the breakfalls and today was taught the O-Soto Gari

Judo is fucking fun but I want to know what training I can do outside of class time to help improve my judo, any suggestions?
>>
>tfw want to learn Judo
>literally no pure Judo dojos in AL
>only places are MMA gyms that advertise it, but most likely know fuck shit about it
Looks like im not gonna make it.
>>
>>1125838
basically there are 3 brown belts, and more black belts than I can keep track of. Majority are 2nd dan+, I know two of them are 4th, and there are also 2 ancient guys and I don't know what they are
>>
>>1120650

>Technically, sasae requires you to pull uke's arm horizontally then straight down, while hiza guruma requires you to pull down at an angle from the start.

Yes! That's due to the angle..
If you block the foreward leg you need to pull his center of gravity over the blocked foot before you can pull downwards (otherwise you would just pull him on his feet).
If you block the rear leg you pull him directly in his "weak plane" (there's a straight line between his center of gravity and the floor, no need to get him "nearer" first).

>>1120569

>You can theoretically do a hiza gurama on the ankle and a sasae on the the knee.

"Hiza Guruma" translates as "knee wheel" and "Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi" translates as "foot blocking (while) lifting+pullig".

So of course you can't do a "knee wheel" at the foot and vice vesa..

But I guess you mean you could do a Sasae at the rear foot and a Hiza Guruma at the front foot? Theoretically: Yes! But there are two reasons why not:

1. The distance would be so awkward that you could never properly position yourself.

Just try for yourself to stand in front of each other (Ai Yotsu) and now try to block the knee/ankle with each foot. You'll find that it's almost impossible to get a stable stance while touching the rear leg's ankle or foreward leg's knee.

2. Second reason is the direction of the throw.

It's not that difficult to move the center of gravity over the front foot. Now if you would block the foreward foot at the knee you would make your own leverage shorter (= shorten the distance from the point where you pull to the point where you block), you would need to pull much stronger or throw in a wierd direction.

Now if you would block the rare foot and tried a "Hiza Guruma", you would be much too close to pull him in his weak corner (you would only pull him onto yourself).

And if you tried a Sasae movement from here, you would only pull him on his foreward leg.

This is difficult to explain without showing..
>>
>>1121699

>judo seems /easier/ than karate because it doesn't seem like you need to be in any kind of shape to do it

As someone who does Karate and Judo I'd say:

Both are differnt.
(Now you're stunned, aren't ya?)

Karate is indeed tougher in terms of building up muscles and flexibility.
But Judo is way tougher in terms of complexity of movements. There's a lot more things happening at the same time.
>>
>>1126006
Look into some conditioning and tandoku renshu/shadow training. Make sure to observe correct technique during the latter so as to avoid ingraining bad habits.
>>
tell me about patches, what are da rulz?
>>
>>1128828
Names/countries are ok. Anything else is not recommended. If you want fashion, do bjj.
>>
>>1129225
I don't want fashion, its just that the place I go to I guess isn't ashamed of me anymore so they gave me a patch of the school symbol. They strongly suggest you rep the school and wear your patch. I just don't want to ruin my gi by putting a patch on it and then never being able to wear it anywhere else because of it.
>>
>>1130097

That's very untypical and you will probably ruin your Gi for other schools.

Then again Judo Gis are cheap, so if they get a hard on from "muh school heritage", you might as well just do it.
>>
Did Judo as a kid, had 3rd Kyu. Still interested, but the local clubs are all kinda kindergardens, mostly little kids who arnt even interested in Judo and go there to play. Switched to MMA
Thread posts: 286
Thread images: 80

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.